Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:46:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 05:42:10 am 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

In another unnanounced development the Machin Horizon label has lost its teeth!

A new version of the Golden Machin Horizon label is reported in use today (23 August) at Old Street PO in London.

The new label - not yet received by me - appears to have the same security cuts, but is without die-cut 'perforations'. It is probably still printed tete-beche in pairs.

I presume this is in response to the experience at many POs, where the current label prints perfectly once, but removal of the first label of the pair lifts the 'teeth' on the matrix which is left behind on the backing paper. This being self-adhesive, it snags on the printer when the sheet is inserted to print the second label - probably during the feed after the label is printed (and the money accounted for!)

Those of us who were at London 2010 noticed that actually peeling the first 'stamp' from the backing paper was not as easy as removing the white labels.

I'm told that these new labels will be used in Chesterfield PO later this week, and will be distributed to all POs during September. Some, of course, are still using white labels. I don't know if the 'perforated' labels will be withdrawn or used to exhaustion, but if current experience is anything to go by, we can expect to find some 'half-sheets' discarded at PO counters.

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: http://www.norphil.co.uk, blog.norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site and Ian_norvic on twitter. UK delegate to the FIP Maximaphily Commission.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:06:17 pm 
PLATINUM Star Mega Stamp Poster

I don't collect GB but I have a few of these gold labels on letters I've been sent. I like them. Aussie PO take note. :mrgreen:

Join the Rhodesian Study Circle! http://www.facebook.com/rhodesianstudycircle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:22:29 pm 

Scan, rather than photo, of the new version:

I'm told that only about 60 collectors items were prepared on the first day, although there would have been many other items posted for business or social mail. These commercial 'first day' usages would be nice to have :)

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: http://www.norphil.co.uk, blog.norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site and Ian_norvic on twitter. UK delegate to the FIP Maximaphily Commission.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 21:50:15 pm 

Here's another imperforate label from Old Street but this time accompanied by an adhesive stamp, so the latter is properly cancelled at the counter:

And concurrently, a toothed 1st class Packet label £2.75 also using the Horizon Online system - thin font for the service indicator which is centred on the label.

Both scanned with the same settings, but the difference in appearance is accounted for by the fact that 1PK is still on the packet, and the scanner lid was not lowered.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 21:03:20 pm 

The first FDC of the Old Street imperforate label to sell on eBay reached £47 with 9 bidders making 13 bids.

Six similar covers are now on offer at a BIN price of £45 - not bad for an outlay of less than £1 per item (plus overheads like travelling!) Anybody searching for 'Horizon' will find these and plenty of other labels of all types!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 21:38:08 pm 

Following my recent sojourn in Wales I can now show some examples of bilingual labels. More to follow when I get them back from my international addressees.

1st class Letter (1L) - only available when Recorded Signed For service is used, hence value combines the postage and the fee. (Also available as 2L for 2nd class)
Image Image

2nd class Large Letter (2LG) - only available above 1st weight step (unless recorded signed for also used), hence 81p rather than 51p. Also available as 1st class (96p).
Image Image

AAX, A, SU, FP to follow on receipt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 21:53:18 pm 
PLATINUM Shooting Star Stampboard LEGEND
PLATINUM Shooting Star Stampboard LEGEND

The solid font "A" letter in post #1 seems to have been replaced by a far weaker font A.

Well I am just opening a bottle of Jacob's Creek bubbly.

If anyone wants to fund that, and send me $10 by paypal etc for this *** INCREDIBLY RARE GEM *** it is all yours - post free globally!

GENUINE postal used to Glen Stephens in Castlecrag Australia, 2068 on 17/09/10!

Our ebay man below dchap25 just got over $A20 posted for the same thing it looks like -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300475833296

(And he got $180 for a gold "1st" label!)

"One VFU label Code A, This code is restricted to AIRMAIL, (new thinner font). I have covered certain details on the overprint, only the buyer will see these."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 09:05:09 am 

Gee whiz...I have a bunch of these laying about now. :?

Join the Rhodesian Study Circle! http://www.facebook.com/rhodesianstudycircle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 09:22:34 am 
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Has anybody thought about how dull these labels will look in 20 years time when the terminal print has faded completely?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 09:37:55 am 
GOLD Star Super Posting Board Member

Here is label that I received recently. It looks as though somebody at the post office cancelled it by writing what is was used for on the label itself. I suppose that reduces its value as a collectable item. I'm keeping this one on the whole front of the cover which includes the address label and an air mail sticker.

Cheers,

Ian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 17:14:56 pm 
RED Shooting Star Posting MANIAC!

Seen a large increase to the fact that the white labels are starting to deminish - perhaps I should ask for their useless used envelopes now hehe :D

Kloster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 18:13:52 pm 
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Sad as I am to let such a classic go, I tearfully listed up my RARITY for $10 postfree globally today! :mrgreen: :lol:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22344

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 20:56:12 pm 

Little Fred wrote:

Here is label that I received recently. It looks as though somebody at the post office cancelled it by writing what is was used for on the label itself. I suppose that reduces its value as a collectable item. I'm keeping this one on the whole front of the cover which includes the address label and an air mail sticker.

Cheers,

Ian

Unusual, but then that endorsement has to be written somewhere on the envelope/package to show that it is reduced rate and not letter rate. I think it adds to the value of the item confirming the rate for 161-180gr.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 20:18:58 pm 

As I've written elsewhere, Post Offices in Wales have been supplied with unperforated gold labels (although some are still using the perforated ones), while in the rest of the UK some post offices are still using supplies of white labels although most now have supplies of gold labels.

It occurred to me that some offices using white labels may skip the second type and move straight to unperforated labels - and so it has happened. Just back from our rural PO to find that it has unperforated now instead of white, whilst Dereham town PO still had perforated labels last week. Oh well, that will save me some mileage :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 20:00:38 pm 

Out of intrest I just posted a small packet to Australia and the PO also wrote 'small packet' on the A label.

Why? Well it makes it a bit rarer which is good but you must clearly label on the front of any small packet 'Small Packet'. So, the parcel already has small packet on it written in the top left corner by the sender on the front but apparently the PO can't cope with that so has to write it again on the actual label. Not the brightest idea I think...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 20:15:04 pm 

And yes, I also used good stamps with it to have an odd rate on the Machin label. Interestingly, like the above example mine was regsitered and they also put the gold label on top right then the registred label underneath.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 20:43:15 pm 
Senior Member Advanced Stamp Board Guru

I've seen some blank gold labels selling on ebay and the like. Am I correct in assuming that those aren't supposed to be in private hands?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 21:01:58 pm 

Jack wrote:
And yes, I also used good stamps with it to have an odd rate on the Machin label. Interestingly, like the above example mine was registered and they also put the gold label on top right then the registered label underneath.

Registered? Which service did you use, there is no registered service, inland or international. Are you saying they actually put the Machin label on top of the bar-code label? That sounds a bit dumb!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 08:55:06 am 

International signed for!

They placed the international label below the gold Machin-as illustrated in little Fred's comment.

Out of interest back from Philatex today and saw - in passing - one lot of varied gold labels being neatly shown to a customer. So they have made it to this level of show... (Mind you it still has masses of dreary FDCs UK)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 09:46:49 am 

cckerberos wrote:
I've seen some blank gold labels selling on ebay and the like. Am I correct in assuming that those aren't supposed to be in private hands?

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 09:49:40 am 

Jack wrote:
International signed for!

They placed the international label below the gold Machin-as illustrated in little Fred's comment.

Gotcha! I misunderstood/misread what you wrote.

Jack wrote:
Out of interest back from Philatex today and saw - in passing - one lot of varied gold labels being neatly shown to a customer. So they have made it to this level of show... (Mind you it still has masses of dreary FDCs UK)

The dreary FDCs are - and will always be - more plentiful than the perforated Machin labels on the market, I suspect. I stress perforated because we cannot know how long the unperforated ones will continue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 23:52:57 pm 

Fresh from the USA a further selection of labels from Wales:

AAX label only obtained by using the Airsure (tracked but not signed for) service at £4.90 over airmail postage.

FP = Fully Paid - normally only applied where the item has been returned to sender because additional postage is payable, and the label is used to pay the extra. But if the counter clerk presses the wrong menu options on-screen, then we get a welcome surprise for a basic 20gr (97p) airmail item.

A = Airmail - obtained from two different offices on the same day using the 40gr £1.46 rate. One label is the type 1 perforated and the other, the type 2, unperforated:

(Sorry, these were scanned smaller than the previous examples.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 08:13:28 am 

Surface mail labels from Wales, just back from the USA, perforated version and non-perforated version.

ImageImage

None of the 5 surface mail letters sent across 3 days from 3 different post offices received any postmark, but all received the red-orange UK bar-code, and all received the USPS black bar-code, one inverted at the top of the cover. That one had the orange US bar-code on tape on the reverse (at the top) but all others had it printed direct onto the envelope.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 06:39:15 am 

I have received a small packet with the following labels on it.
The senders postcode was BN424LS and I cannot read the place of sending address they have written.

The packet is not within my collecting interests, so if there is any interest in it I will place it in a swap thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:00:15 am 

Saw my first FF ones bought at my local PO the other day...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:07:04 am 

Jack wrote:
Saw my first FF ones bought at my local PO the other day...

If you ever obtain any FF ones that have actually seen service (rather than being handed over mint like most of those on eBay) do let me know, please.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 22:48:30 pm 

I know; it was on a parcel going to Afghanistan. On reflection I should have stopped and spoken to the lady sending things to her son-in law...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 02:24:45 am 

I don't normally buy 'STAMP' magazine (UK). But I did today with the February edition; it has a 4 page article on the Horizon labels listing all 123 versions ( 22 labels in English, 19 in Wales by three sets- serrated edge thick type face, thin type face, smooth edge. I think he's wrong. If you send a parcel 'Small Packet Rates' they have to handwrite 'Small Packet' on it.

I seriously suggest getting the magazine for the clarity and relevance of this information.

It also has a nice article ridiculing the Royal wedding gravy train stamps ' Royal Wedding stamps tending to remain valid for longer than the marriage' and an interesting letter to the editor detailing some of the print runs on Royal Mail stamps as you can get it via Freedom of Information; the relevant details being 2007 Xmas 2nd class 160,250,000 printed and the Scout centenary 2,500,000 for each value above the 1st class. The 1st class scout had a print run of 6,025,000. The Harry Potter set-all 1sts- issued a few days before had a print run of 20,832,000. For comparison the letter notes the Scout Jubilee of 1957 had a print run of 127,000,000 and the 4d 1967 Xmas 287,000,000.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 02:33:12 am 

Jack wrote:
I think he's wrong. If you send a parcel 'Small Packet Rates' they have to handwrite 'Small Packet' on it.

I'm not sure why you think he is wrong in relation to the Small Packets? The correct designation is either A for airmail or SU for surface mail, or AAX for Airsure. There is no Printed Papers or Small Packet code because the previous three identify the service used for mailstream separation. PPs and SPs are not separated from Letters in either the airmail or surface mailstreams.

Only SOME postal clerks write Small Packet on the label, and I don't know why they do; my postmaster doesn't and knows of no instruction to do so. The sender should write Small Packet or Printed Papers on the item, the same as the sender should stick an airmail label if appropriate.

But it's a good article and good for him (and SM) for devoting 4 pages to it. Now somebody should write the White Label prequel, and be more specific with some dates, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 02:54:30 am 

Because if I was collecting all of them I would need to have the labels both with and without 'small packets' on. My PO says they have been told to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 03:10:53 am 

Jack wrote:
Because if I was collecting all of them I would need to have the labels both with and without 'small packets' on. My PO says they have been told to do so.

From that point of view, Jack, I think you are right to collect them so (though of course you don't need anybody's endorsement to do that :lol: ) It does explain what the postage rate represents.

I questioned it at the crown office and I was told that if Revenue Protection decide that a labelled item is underpaid, the recovery is from the PO that processed it, rather than from the recipient (or sender if international). I have to check this with my contact - thanks for reminding me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50:56 am 

Have all the PO's gone gold horizon yet?

I just received an envelope with a white A label dated 31/12/10
Same size, same details as the gold just a white smooth edged label.

Not common to see a £6.07 large white label and a signed for registered sticker jammed onto an envelope that weighs 20gms!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:06:00 pm 

Allanswood wrote:

Not common to see a £6.07 large white label and a signed for registered sticker jammed onto an envelope that weighs 20gms!

I think they could all be using gold, but they were told to use up white, if the sticky was still viable. As the gold of both types have a good following on eBay, white are now appearing with the new thinner font: I believe many of these are 'handbacks' as are many of the 'clean' gold ones. Neither should happen, but POs get the money, and unless anybody traces which PO issued it from the coding on it, no action will be taken. The practice should dry up eventually anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 23:56:18 pm 

Jack wrote;
I don't normally buy 'STAMP' magazine (UK). But I did today with the February edition; it has a 4 page article on the Horizon labels listing all 123 versions ( 22 labels in English, 19 in Wales by three sets- serrated edge thick type face, thin type face, smooth edge.

Which are the 3 labels that are in English, but not Welsh?

Thank you
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 00:50:48 am 

The three parcelforce labels (as it's a brand name, so Welsh is not needed); BF (' Parcels to British Forces can be sent to BFPO London, with onward delivery handled by them....), PE (Global economy parcel- no compensation), PS Global value parcel (compensation). All have PARCELFORCE (and not Royal Mail) through the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 06:47:46 am 

Allanswood wrote:

Well, as you have one from that date you can be very helpful!

When PO Counters' Horizon software was upgraded to that known as 'Horizon Online' some changes were obvious, as you can see in the left and centre labels below. The service indicator was in a new thinner typeface, and at last was centered on the label. The branch code at lower-right lost it's final digit, and both Royal Mail and POSTAGE PAID UK were in a slightly squatter typeface.

Lastly the date changed: the shape of some digits changed, see the 2 and 0, and the format was changed from 00/00/00 to 00-00-00. Now labels have appeared from the Horizon Online system, with all attributes the same except that the date has reverted to the original format - see the third image below.

So what format is the 31/12/10 ? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47:36 pm 

:D
I live in USA and just received one on a package from Wales. Since I collect GB this will make a nice addition. I'm not sure if I see them a ugly, but the gold could be a little brighter. Anyway...I'm glad I have it. Seapaws

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 19:27:12 pm 

Seapaws wrote:
:D
I live in USA and just received one on a package from Wales. Since I collect GB this will make a nice addition. I'm not sure if I see them a ugly, but the gold could be a little brighter. Anyway...I'm glad I have it. Seapaws

Did your Welsh one have the 'l' at the end of Brenhinol, Seapaws - which date format?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 22:27:48 pm 

Here's my "White" Horizon label from 31.12.10
Mine has the date with / / format.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 02:24:19 am 

Here's one from another thread, a white label, with new (online) font, with 2011 date format 25/03/11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 19:13:52 pm 

Quite interesting site with basic informations:
http://deltastamps.com/Fact10.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 01:46:26 am 

A reader has sent me this image of unusual use of a Machin Horizon label

and asked what the circumstances would be for this. The stamps used on this Special Delivery envelope are 3 x £1.46 and a 67p making the required total of £5.05 before April 2011.

My suggestions are:

(1) If the sender asked at the PO for stamps used, then these values not being self-adhesive they are difficult to fix to the plastic - not impossible, but much easier of they are stuck onto another self-adhesive label (of any sort) first. And as they are the obsolete (toothed) version of the Horizon label, maybe that is what they are being used for.
(2) the PO printer may have broken, so even more reason.
(3) if the sender did it he may have had a supply of blank labels and used it to affix the stamps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 07:59:33 am 
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

norvic wrote:
A reader has sent me this image of unusual use of a Machin Horizon label

and asked what the circumstances would be for this. The stamps used on this Special Delivery envelope are 3 x £1.46 and a 67p making the required total of £5.05 before April 2011.

My suggestions are:

(1) If the sender asked at the PO for stamps used, then these values not being self-adhesive they are difficult to fix to the plastic - not impossible, but much easier of they are stuck onto another self-adhesive label (of any sort) first. And as they are the obsolete (toothed) version of the Horizon label, maybe that is what they are being used for.
(2) the PO printer may have broken, so even more reason.
(3) if the sender did it he may have had a supply of blank labels and used it to affix the stamps.

I think the datestamp on the item may be the clue..

Brian

Http://www.postagelabelsuk.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 21:45:40 pm 
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

May I just ask a Noddy question about collecting these labels?

How do people generally keep them?

I've just been doing quite a bit of ebay buying, and have received a few of these. Those on regular envelopes are ok, I can just cut an attractive border around them with craft scissors, but I've had several on jiffy bags, thus with a crumply bulky unattractive backing, or overhanging the edge of a parcel, so only partly stuck on.

The glue used is not soakable, but I've found I can peel them off. However, that leaves the back semi-sticky, and semi-coated in shards of paper, and therefore the label is not an attractive item, nor is it easy to store or display.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 21:59:26 pm 

'How do people generally keep them? '

On cover for me, but I can understand on piece. Don't peel them off! Even bubble bag ones are kept on cover, at least until I can get a better example. In a few years time when everyone has chopped them off onto pieces items on cover / large cover / bubble bags will be very awkward to find.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 02:28:13 am 

The recent batch of Mark II Horizon labels were incompletely cut, resulting in a 5-8mm portion at the top of each label remaining on the backing if the label was removed from the foot. Because of this many offices reverted to white labels - giving rise to many 'rare' narrow font labels and labels with the new VAT codes appearing on eBay.

The Mark III golden label is now in use. This has die-cut curves at the left and right, and semi-circular ones in the corners, but no slits at all at the top and foot. The serial number printed on the back of the one I used this morning is U082597507. I hope somebody will be able to provide a picture soon.

The monochrome picture here compares the Mk II version at the top, with the Mk III version below.

The concave (inward pointing) semi-circle starts immediately above the 'A' in the top image, two convex (outward pointing) semi-circles run below the ends of the concave one. The one on the left runs through the A, just at the top of the triangle, the one on the right is in a similar position in the coronet, with the right end pointing to the cut in the corner.

In the lower example, the corner cuts are present but the other three are not. This applies to the top and bottom of the label, but the similar cuts at left and right remain.

Coming so soon after the VAT codes were introduced Mk II labels with the VAT codes will be less common. And one a certain Stampboards member will shortly get one of these new labels with the FP (Fully Paid) service indicator instead of A = Airmail. There's lucky!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 05:06:05 am 
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

norvic wrote:
The recent batch of Mark II Horizon labels were incompletely cut, resulting in a 5-8mm portion at the top of each label remaining on the backing if the label was removed from the foot. Because of this many offices reverted to white labels - giving rise to many 'rare' narrow font labels and labels with the new VAT codes appearing on eBay.

The Mark III golden label is now in use. This has die-cut curves at the left and right, and semi-circular ones in the corners, but no slits at all at the top and foot. The serial number printed on the back of the one I used this morning is U082597507. I hope somebody will be able to provide a picture soon.

The monochrome picture here compares the Mk II version at the top, with the Mk III version below.

The concave (inward pointing) semi-circle starts immediately above the 'A' in the top image, two convex (outward pointing) semi-circles run below the ends of the concave one. The one on the left runs through the A, just at the top of the triangle, the one on the right is in a similar position in the coronet, with the right end pointing to the cut in the corner.

In the lower example, the corner cuts are present but the other three are not. This applies to the top and bottom of the label, but the similar cuts at left and right remain.

Coming so soon after the VAT codes were introduced Mk II labels with the VAT codes will be less common. And one a certain Stampboards member will shortly get one of these new labels with the FP (Fully Paid) service indicator instead of A = Airmail. There's lucky!

The Earliest label i have is a welsh label.
Possible 1st day Print. (MAYBE)
24th Not 1st day as i thought it was, 21st might be the 1st day

Possible 2nd day Print. (MAYBE)

For Got to Edit this picture..lol

Anyone knows the real 1st day release of these labels.??

Not really a brilliant photo i know, but this is a real one
I normally buy labels in bulk from a few people i know, and in my last batch i had 30X standard type 3 SD labels with VAT Codes and 4 Welsh type 3 labels, i have sold a few already i now have left for available for sale 20 x SD standard and 1 welsh left a couple of 1LGs, 1Ls and a 2LG which i hope to list on Wednesday on my Ebay, thought i have listed a couple of them for now.
Though the images are not realy clear i PROMISE you these are Truely the MK3 horizon Labels.
1L type 3:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270876317542
1LG type 3;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270876319153
1L Type 3:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270876320818

Ive marked them up as £3:99 starting bid, i was going to list them for around £4:99 starting bid,but decided not to, i have seen STU1967 selling the type 2 new VAT/Tax labels at around £8- £20 and is selling them, on his store so im sure he be listing these newer type 3 labels at a dearer price.?.
Steve,
http://horizonlabels.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56:33 am 
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Here are a couple off covers I recently acquired - sent to Canada:

I do actually still have the complete covers. I hope the images are of some assistance.....if you are still collecting them! :roll:

John A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 20:25:02 pm 

cckerberos wrote:

They appear to get out. I picked up this piece today with a blank horizon label.

Can anyone recall what they were selling for?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 20:37:30 pm 

traralgon3844 wrote:
cckerberos wrote:

They appear to get out. I picked up this piece today with a blank horizon label.

Can anyone recall what they were selling for?

Here is a link to current eBay 'completed listings' - there will probably be some there but I suspect that most people who want them have them - even though there have been several types.