Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 01:23:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 06:28:10 am 
GOLD Star Super Posting Board Member

Just spent almost $80.00 including shipping for this Mystic hingeless album:

http://www.mysticstamp.com/viewProducts.asp?sku=DS126

It is very nice but.. the first 30 or so pages are badly curved outward. On hingeless pages I expect some unevenness or a little bulging but these look like they were warped from too much heat in the printing process. I encountered this before- I wound up sending back some printed pages from a vendor on Ebay because they were curved in a similar manner and I never could get them flat. I don't want to do much to try to bend them, they have the mounts attached.

Hopefully the company will replace these. Meantime can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I might straighten them out?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 06:36:38 am 
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Could you post a couple of pics?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 21:11:11 pm 
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Take all the pages out of the binder.

Re-insert the pages, but put a cardboard "spacer" after every 15-20 pages (a narrow piece of thick card to give a one-eigth / one-quarter inch space between the pages).

Store the album vertically, not flat.

That should reduce any curving over time - but don't expect an "instant" fix)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 00:13:53 am 

Send them back.
Failing that store the binder flat but turn it over so the rest of the pages are pressing down on the curved ones.
Failing that wait a week and see if they acclimatise (moisture balance in the paper to air ratio) to your room and check if they have now flattened out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 00:53:18 am 

I have emailed the company. They have a great customer service record and I don't doubt I will get some adjustment.

The problem is compounded by having mounts already on the pages. I don't wish to risk damage to them by counter-creasing the pages. I tried subjecting the pages to pressure for awhile, the curl came right back. I think it's hopeless, although I appreciate the advice. The pages in the original version of this album are on lightweight paper. these are heavyweight. With higher weight I think you run more risk of weird stuff like this happening, especially using laser printers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:34:45 am 

Made a five minute call to Mystic this morning, they are replacing the entire set. Not too many questions asked, I got the feeling they'd heard this before. I was told I'd be getting a free postal sticker to use to mail the old ones back, fair enough. Nice to know they stand behind their stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 06:13:53 am 

Snick1946 wrote:
Made a five minute call to Mystic this morning, they are replacing the entire set. Not too many questions asked, I got the feeling they'd heard this before. I was told I'd be getting a free postal sticker to use to mail the old ones back, fair enough. Nice to know they stand behind their stuff!

Nice to know if I ever buy from them.

Thank you for letting me/us know! I will add them to my 'can buy from' list!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28:54 am 

They sent me a second set of pages with a label for returning the first ones. Sorry to say.. the second batch has issues as well. These are curved and rippled. I tried putting them in sheet protectors, they are just ugly. I called again today and they will refund my purchase upon receipt of both sets. I think they think I am a crank.

I am very disappointed. I still think Mystic is a great company and they are standing behind their product. I do think maybe this product get rushed into production. To me, it looks as if the pages are not sturdy enough to support the mounts. Most of the pages with issues are the earlies, where there are a dozen or more mounts. On the later pages after 1920 or so there is no problem. Maybe they need to consult with Lighthouse or some other company that produces hingeless albums for advice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:35:02 am 

Could you post a couple of images of both batches, as there are some here that can advise them as to what the problem is.

Don't be surprised if they have changed supplier (mounts, printer, the factory that ataches the mounts etc) or paper source (type, weight, grain etc) and there are teething problems with the way the pages are assembled. I seen and heard of it before (not with Mystic) and I made the same mistakes myself with some pages. In my case I was using ti much moisture to attaache the mounts and made the paper warp slightly.

A few years a go a major stockbook maker has similar problems with their newest batch of books that were all bent. They fixed the problem.

PS they won't think that your a crank, they should thank you as they will see the problem the moment all the pages arrive back to them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:46:52 pm 

Have you thought of storeing your collection of pages ....on telegraph poles :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 02:23:44 am 

Mystic got my returned pages and says they have refunded but it is not on my credit card as yet. They did not refund over $12 in postage. In a call this morning their Customer Service rep told me that is against policy. I sort of understand this but when you sell someone a defective product shouldn't you also refund the postage they spent to get it to you? Seems petty to me.

BTW, since I needed to remount I sent them an order for a regular set of albums (not hingeless), those arrived this weekend, they sent incorrect pages. There were three packs of pages, I got three identical packages of part one pages. I am wondering what is going on there; if they manage to screw this last deal up, I think I am just going to pick up a decent second hand set on Ebay and be done with it. If I didn't like this album so much I wouldn't be bothering with them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51:28 am 

Work experience kids aren't what they used to be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 15:38:31 pm 
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Snick1946 wrote:
Mystic got my returned pages and says they have refunded but it is not on my credit card as yet. They did not refund over $12 in postage. In a call this morning their Customer Service rep told me that is against policy. I sort of understand this but when you sell someone a defective product shouldn't you also refund the postage they spent to get it to you? Seems petty to me.

BTW, since I needed to remount I sent them an order for a regular set of albums (not hingeless), those arrived this weekend, they sent incorrect pages. There were three packs of pages, I got three identical packages of part one pages. I am wondering what is going on there; if they manage to screw this last deal up, I think I am just going to pick up a decent second hand set on Ebay and be done with it. If I didn't like this album so much I wouldn't be bothering with them.

Maybe these pages are manufactured in China or some other asian country, haven't you learnt your lesson from this mob your buying off, change over to a more well known brand like DAVO, SG or Lighthouse or KABE, which Lighthouse produce.
I would not of contemplated another purchase from a company that still keeps on sending you their faulty products!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:00:01 pm 
GREEN Shooting Star Posting MADMAN!
GREEN Shooting Star Posting MADMAN!

Donald wrote:
Snick1946 wrote:

Maybe these pages are manufactured in China or some other asian country, haven't you learnt your lesson from this mob your buying off, change over to a more well known brand like DAVO, SG or Lighthouse or KABE, which Lighthouse produce.
I would not of contemplated another purchase from a company that still keeps on sending you their faulty products!

I would agree! Three sales = three fails.

You know what they say about 'three strikes' ..... YOU'RE OUT! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 18:21:04 pm 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

When newcomers ask "can I store my stamps in a photo album/print my own pages using photocopy paper/recycle old albums from a car boot sale", the advice always given is: consider albums and supplies as part of the cost of the hobby. When you see the pricelist for Lighthouse or DAVO or KABE albums, yes the price looks high. But you're getting a high-quality product, and something like an album, you may never have to replace, or maybe change once.

An album is not a pair of shoes, you're not going to wear it out after a year and have to get another.

If you care about your stamps--and if you're collecting early-mid USA, there can be some valuable items there--care enough to spend a bit extra on a good product.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 01:04:00 am 

Here's a link to the hingeless album I purchased from their website:

http://www.mysticstamp.com/viewProducts.asp?sku=DS126

They have long sold a non hingeless album that is today one of the more popular ones with collectors here.
I doubt this company is well known outside the USA, they mainly sell and cater to US collectors. The problem is I like their albums,

The annotation is great and presentation very attractive. They do not sell them wholesale to dealers so if you want one, you order from them. I doubt they are getting their products produced in China but having dealt with them off and on for years I think something is definitely hinky there now and they may be outsourcing their shipment and production to their detriment.

I have decided that if they still get this wrong I will simply shop for a used set on Ebay where I can also probably find binders etc for the album.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 08:14:42 am 
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Snick,

I use the non-hingeless ones as well; got the set of 3 on craigslist for $40, in brilliant condition too.

I love the fact that they have descriptions of the stamps on the facing page. However, I have heard from other people where they have received multiple copies of the same set of pages like you did. But they were satisfactorily replaced apparently.

Guess you win some, you lose some.

Ram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 13:20:06 pm 

ramanandn wrote:
Snick,

I use the non-hingeless ones as well; got the set of 3 on craigslist for $40, in brilliant condition too.

I love the fact that they have descriptions of the stamps on the facing page. However, I have heard from other people where they have received multiple copies of the same set of pages like you did. But they were satisfactorily replaced apparently.

Guess you win some, you lose some.

Ram

I got the balance of the pages today and everything looks fine. Too bad the hingeless album turned out to be a dud for me, and I still wish I hadn't had to be out my postage charges on it. Probably I expect too much.