Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:07:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24:30 pm 
RED Shooting Star Posting MANIAC!

Things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes:
Best to all,
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 17:49:50 pm 
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!

Years ago, using plate number singles was considered a very kind gesture on the sender's part. Why? Because someone sacrificed a plate block of four to do it. Of course, non-collectors sometimes did it inadvertently, or, out of laziness (too busy to tear off the selvage).

In case you're interested, there's an "American Plate Number Singles Society," see http://www.apnss.org

The standard reference is Hebert's Catalog. If you find the 20c James Garfield dark green Presidential of 1938, plate number 22176, say on a registered letter going overseas, you're talking AT LEAST U.S. $1000. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 19:20:29 pm 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

doug2222usa wrote:
Years ago, using plate number singles was considered a very kind gesture on the sender's part. Why? Because someone sacrificed a plate block of four to do it. Of course, non-collectors sometimes did it inadvertently, or, out of laziness (too busy to tear off the selvage).

In case you're interested, there's an "American Plate Number Singles Society," see http://www.apnss.org

The standard reference is Hebert's Catalog. If you find the 20c James Garfield dark green Presidential of 1938, plate number 22176, say on a registered letter going overseas, you're talking AT LEAST U.S. $1000. :shock:

At first glance, my thought was "finding these would be a needle-in-haystack type quest", similar to the SB member who started a thread discussing collecting addressed FDCs that had been sent registered.

If it was a custom "in the old days", then there should be a fair number of them around, and certainly must be if there's a collector's club for the specialty.

What would be the value of a 20ct Prexie without plate number? And is it only that specific number for that value that commands such a high price? How many people would look at such a cover in a dealer's miscellaneous "bargain box" and bypass it, thinking "looks too philatelic". :o

I would say probably most examples out there were to/between collectors, non-collectors seem very diligent about tearing off the selvedge for some reason. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 15:17:03 pm 

Thanks for the link.

For the most part if it is too "philatelic" inspired: collector to collector, dealer catalog smeared with whatever leftovers, I'm not picking it. I like to think the ones I like are mostly there by chance. This seems especially true of the older and newer ones, people just forgot/didn't bother to remove them.

But then I do like this optimistic prophecy on the reverse of this one:

"The one cent stamp (over) will be a joy to collectors with its accessories.
Do not take it from the background paper. I am no longer collecting"

As I said, usually looking for something else, never expensive & always fun.

Best to all,
pat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 19:09:21 pm 

"...What would be the value of a 20ct Prexie without plate number? And is it only that specific number for that value that commands such a high price? How many people would look at such a cover in a dealer's miscellaneous "bargain box" and bypass it, thinking "looks too philatelic"."

1. If you mean a plain 20c Prexie on an airmail or registered cover, zilch. :lol: But three or four different values of Prexies on a cover, then you attract the postal history buffs, and odd usages, especially single usages paying the correct rate for some odd type of service = big bucks.

2. Yes, ONLY that specific number. In fact, until the 1950s, some 15 years after the stamp was issued, the ONLY known example of that plate number was a plate single; then someone found a plate block, and sold it for considerable money.

3. As our mentor tells us, knowledge is power. A dedicated plate single collector carries his Hebert or Durland Catalog to shows and scours the dollar boxes for overlooked gems. I used to do that for Scandinavia, taking my Facit everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 15:06:05 pm 

doug2222usa:
Thank you for your thoughts.
Just for fun, if you have any zilch value 20 cent single prexies on cover, please send :)
Found this persons interesting site: http://rdhinstl.info/prexies/uprexie3.htm

I started the post with:
"Things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes" and then titled it "USA Plate number selvage singles on cover" Which missed the mark of what I was trying to convey.

I would like to add single use rates to: "Things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes"

I still don't know if this one (Fourth Bureau, 1922) paid the proper amount for services used (postage+registered+return receipt). Scott 2000 lists the 20 on registered UPU-rate cover at $10. I have no idea if the price is up or down since then. The (extra) interest to me is how it was used: (I think) as a proof of intellectual property of concept for an idea in the letter.

This one is a bit clearer and I'm pretty sure the 3+15 covers the proper rate for services.

This one while looking the same, does really not hold the same interest as it is not clear what the extra postage would pay for. Maybe it's for extra weight, even though it did not appear any heavier. So just having odd extras doesn't do it.

This prexie, even though it pays the proper rate for 2 oz airmail was not what attracted me. It was the tied to cover airmail etiquette ,which I have a fondness for. Although, if it was a single 12, that would have helped. :)

To your last point: I agree. A dedicated collector of anything should go forth armed with the knowledge of what he is looking for. I also think a dedicated collector would also be more willing to pay fair value for what he needs in other than a chance find in the $ box. Even though the thrill of a find is a lot of fun.

As for me, I seem to have philatelic ADD, and happily bounce from topic to topic.

One of these days I'll have to show what I'm looking for when I "Find other things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes"

My best to all & to Doug, a fellow collector from the USoA :)

pat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 15:12:57 pm 

In my "zilch" comment, I was not thinking of a single-use 20c stamp, just a 20c in combination with others, say, for heavy overseas airmail, etc. Then, zilch.

The high price would apply to that specific 20c on any cover, even in combination with other stamps. As a proper single-use cover, it might bring 3 or 4 times normal, or more.

I don't think one's ever been found.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 15:43:00 pm 

Doug,
I hear what you are saying. And, since I don't have the proper tools to recognize it, I may debate on paying 50 cents or $1 for it, not having a clue what I was looking at.

But hey!, if it had that airmail sticker on it , I'd be all over it. :) :)

Best to you,
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 15:51:50 pm 

But you DO have the proper tools. Memorize that number; if it's in the selvage, you have the right item. You don't even have to memorize "20 cent stamp" -- that rare number was used ONLY to print the 20c stamp. It's not the stamp that's rare, it's the number in the selvage!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 16:43:05 pm 

Doug,

Through your efforts, I am now morally obligated to split the reward when I find the cover with 22176. (and I will look for it) :)

Anyway, what do you like to look for? Are you a plate single collector yourself?
Saw you picked up that small collection from the person in Germany. What was in it that interested you?

One of my first questions when I came on here was how to safely buy from overseas, the cost of postage and exchange rates. Do you buy many from overseas, and how do you like Paypal?
I would be interested in your experience as I have never used it.

Thank you,
pat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 16:18:41 pm 

Guess not.

Anyway, found two more hiding in another box while looking for something else.

This one counts as a "four fer"
From Alaska + commeratitive + plate single + last day 5 cents rate
But wait "oh nos" it's philatelic :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 18:04:57 pm 

For patg,

Remember I am not getting email notifications of new posts, so I have to try to remember everywhere I've posted, and check them manually one by one, a {}$#%&#*!#% NUISANCE. I only saw your recent reply-post today.

"...Anyway, what do you like to look for? Are you a plate single collector yourself? <No>

Saw you picked up that small collection from the person in Germany. What was in it that interested you? <Maybe I saw something that no one else saw.>

One of my first questions when I came on here was how to safely buy from overseas, the cost of postage and exchange rates. Do you buy many from overseas, and how do you like Paypal?

<I buy plenty of items from overseas, but seldom over $50 or so. Nothing lost in 4 years now; in 2008, a $25 lot disappeared. Stuff happens. I never give a thought to exchange rates, but I do take note of postage, and won't pay exorbitant shipping.

I greatly dislike PayPal; they are arrogant, incompetent, and disgracefully buyer-biased. However, there is no alternative. I belong to a group of collectors who have been trying to get them regulated as a bank, by contacting states' attorneys-general, but no luck yet. Someday some Senator will get screwed by PayPal, and their luck will run out. They are predators, pure and simple. But the system works.

And I repeat, there is no alternative for international commerce. There are similar services, and imitators, but they all have flaws. Might as well run with the big dogs.>

I have great confidence in the Sellers of StampBoards. I would not want to be the hapless Seller when Glen discovers there's an ethical problem, a misrepresentation, or a warning ignored, etc. :mrgreen:

As a frequent Seller, I maintain very high standards in my ads and my service. I don't try to maintain these standards, I DO maintain them.

I give SB's buyers a pretty-darn-good "99". So how do they get that missing 1 point? By notifying me promptly when their item arrives, and if it's OK, so I don't lay awake nights worrying about it. I never close the file until they respond. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 18:46:57 pm 

Thank you for your reply.
pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 04:44:31 am 

Here is one that can be collected for many different elements:
WW2, Navy (48th SeeBee's), Censored, Cancel w/Anchors aweigh, postage due, and finally for this thread "Plate number selvage".

In Aug 1943 the 48th was at Puunene Naval Air Station / Maui, for training and preparation for the retaking of Guam.
The battle for Guam lasted from 21 July–10 August 1944.
The outfit arrived at Guam Aug. 4. On Aug. 9 and 10, 128 men were assigned to the Fifth Brigade Motor Pool on Guam.
The 48th stayed on Guam until the end of the war.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 05:11:29 am 
Senior Member Advanced Stamp Board Guru

patg wrote:
doug2222usa:
Thank you for your thoughts.
Just for fun, if you have any zilch value 20 cent single prexies on cover, please send :)
Found this persons interesting site: http://rdhinstl.info/prexies/uprexie3.htm

I started the post with:
"Things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes" and then titled it "USA Plate number selvage singles on cover" Which missed the mark of what I was trying to convey.

I would like to add single use rates to: "Things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes"

I still don't know if this one (Fourth Bureau, 1922) paid the proper amount for services used (postage+registered+return receipt). Scott 2000 lists the 20 on registered UPU-rate cover at $10. I have no idea if the price is up or down since then. The (extra) interest to me is how it was used: (I think) as a proof of intellectual property of concept for an idea in the letter.

This one is a bit clearer and I'm pretty sure the 3+15 covers the proper rate for services.

This one while looking the same, does really not hold the same interest as it is not clear what the extra postage would pay for. Maybe it's for extra weight, even though it did not appear any heavier. So just having odd extras doesn't do it.

This prexie, even though it pays the proper rate for 2 oz airmail was not what attracted me. It was the tied to cover airmail etiquette ,which I have a fondness for. Although, if it was a single 12, that would have helped. :)

To your last point: I agree. A dedicated collector of anything should go forth armed with the knowledge of what he is looking for. I also think a dedicated collector would also be more willing to pay fair value for what he needs in other than a chance find in the $ box. Even though the thrill of a find is a lot of fun.

As for me, I seem to have philatelic ADD, and happily bounce from topic to topic.

One of these days I'll have to show what I'm looking for when I "Find other things I like to find while looking for something else in cover boxes"

My best to all & to Doug, a fellow collector from the USoA :)

pat

Your 20 cent cover is the correct rate. 2 cents postage, 3 cents for the return receipt, and 15 cents for the registry fee.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 06:25:03 am 

revcollector:

Re: Your 20 cent cover is the correct rate. 2 cents postage, 3 cents for the return receipt, and 15 cents for the registry fee.

I've bounced in so many directions, I forgot I asked the question. Thank you for responding.

Best to all,
pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 07:18:45 am 

patg wrote:
revcollector:

Re: Your 20 cent cover is the correct rate. 2 cents postage, 3 cents for the return receipt, and 15 cents for the registry fee.

I've bounced in so many directions, I forgot I asked the question. Thank you for responding.

Best to all,
pat

I found this from an article in the LA times:
Prop houses sprang up in the early days of Hollywood. By 1919 a company called Cinema Mercantile was renting props to Keystone Studio of Mack Sennett's Keystone Kops fame, said Allan Songer, assistant manager of Omega Cinema Props, which now occupies the old Cinema Mercantile site.
So it has a little added spice, even though the sender and recipient are the same person.