Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 02:39:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:57:54 am 
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

My friend is going to visit Kuala Lumpur sometime next month and asked me where he can go to buy stamps/coins/paper bills of Singapore, Malaysia and/or China.

I figured our Malaysian friend can help to shed some light here. Terima kasih terlebih dahulu.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 14:39:03 pm 
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

FWIW, below are a few I've been to. I rarely go to these places any more - so can't vouch for their prices, stock & reliability:

1. Trigometric, Address: Lot 327 Amcorp Mall, No.18 Persiaran Barat, Petaling Jaya
(Deals in M'sian and PRC coins and notes, selection of new PRC stamps - I believe the premium charged is higher than other dealers but stock is probably good)

There is also a weekend flea market at the lower ground level of Amcorp Mall, where you may find some decent buys from various dealers.

2. International Stamps & Coins , Address: Lot 2.4 & 2.5 Pertama Kompleks, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, KL
(Sells mostly new issue M'sian, S'pore and PRC stamps and a small selection of notes)

3. Collectors Corner & Gifts , Address: Lot G11 & G12, Imbi Plaza, 28 Jalan Imbi, KL
(Haven't been to this store for ages, from memory, they sell new issue M'sian & S'pore stamps and possibly some notes. Their storage is/was quite bad as some of their stamps from as recent as early 1990s issues were toned!)

Three others, which I Googled and have not been to:

*S M Stamps & Antiques Shop (Lot F 024, 1st Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza, Jln Sultan Ismail, KL)
*Ng Coin, Stamps & Curios Centre (No 2-7, 2nd Floor, Plaza Metro Jalan Meru, 41050, Klang)
*A M Mohamed Abdullah & Co (No 34, Lbh Ampang, KL)

From my limited experience with these dealers, the best bets are 1 (for coins & notes) and 2 (new stamps) above.

Note: Petaling Jaya is another city next to KL, travel time is about 20-30 minutes in good traffic conditions. Klang is further still from KL. Do check before going as they may be closed on certain days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 17:37:43 pm 

I'll ditto Lal's observation. I have purchased material from Trigometric. His goods are in very good condition and the service is good. You can join as a member for a RM10 fee and that entitles you to some discounts on some items.

ISC is still you best bet for stamps (old, mint and used) for Malaysian as well as China, Taiwan and other countries to some extent.

Don't forget to also visit the Philatelic Bureau at the General Post Office at Dayabumi (this is in a tall white building near and accessible by railway (you need the Kuala Lumpur, not KL Sentral, station) for this. ISC can also be reached by train, one stop away from the Kuala Lumpur Station.

If you visit the AmCorp mall on a Saturday afternoon, you are free to join the Malaysian Philatelic Society informal meetings and meet up with some stamp "nuts". We meet at one of the eating stalls (just ask where is the "mamak" coffee shop). We could show you some of the stamp and coin dealers who bring their wares for sale on Saturdays. There are supposed to be more dealers on Sundays but I seldom go there on Sundays because it gets really crowded on Sundays.

Have fun.