Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 01:32:43 am 
Senior Member Advanced Stamp Board Guru

Anyone interested in Uganda's stamps and postal history? Or any other collectors living in Uganda?

My own collecting area is Oman, and I have been collecting Oman for over 45 years. But as I now live in Kampala, I am trying to find fellow collectors here. Without success, so far. So let me start the new year with some infos on Uganda, hoping this will help me to trace some fellow collectors here in Uganda - no matter what they collect. I would be quite happy to host a meeting for collectors here in Kampala!

Postal services in Uganda are run by Posta Uganda. This is the brand name of Uganda Post Limited. They operate 334 post offices. Sometimes they are a bit run-down, but I always encountered a helpful, friendly staff and commemorative stamps are available even in remote areas.

Above is the post office in Mengo, Kampala, and below the post office of Fort Portal in the west of Uganda.

There is no home delivery for ordinary letters, but there are around 79.500 private post office boxes, around one box for every 94 Ugandan households. Below are the P.O. Boxes in the Fort Portal post office.

The volume of letters handled by Posta Uganda is declining. In 2008, Posta Uganda still handled 5.7 million letters, 4.7 million in 2009, 3.7 million in 2011 and only 2.6 million in 2012. At the same time, the number of parcels handled is increasing: 153.598 in 2008, 194.856 in 2011, and 256.089 in 2012.

Again, if you know any collectors living in this beautiful country, let me know!

Joachim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:00:06 pm 
RED Shooting Star Posting MANIAC!

Interesting info, Joachim!

I collect the world so Uganda too.

What kind of stamps are now available at the PO's? Only the stamps issued by Uganda Post? Or also the stamps issued by IGPC and Stamperija?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:18:58 pm 

Nice information.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 21:05:24 pm 
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Is that a cast iron stamp dispenser above the mail slot? Looks interesting and old. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 21:30:27 pm 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Great pictures and information. Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:31:16 am 

ChrisGray wrote:
Is that a cast iron stamp dispenser above the mail slot? Looks interesting and old. :)

Indeed, Chris - must be when I look at my enlarged original photo. I didn't notice it when I took the photo, otherwise would have taken a close up. In any case, it is no longer working. Uganda is full of such relicts of past times, see the letter box below which I found in Mvili Lane in Kololo East:

Not sure whether it is still in use ... should I try?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:44:15 am 

That postbox (mail box) is very similar to postboxes seen in many rural parts of England today. I suppose it may well date back to the colonial era. There used to be just such a postbox near my aunt's house on the road between the villages of Stanton Lacy and Culmington in South Shropshire. It was stolen a few years ago and Royal Mail never replaced it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:45:57 am 

ChrisGray wrote:

Sorry that it's not Uganda but here's a picture of another such dispenser in Presteigne, Wales. The old next to the newer, but both well out of date when seen in 2013.

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: http://www.norphil.co.uk, blog.norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site and Ian_norvic on twitter. UK delegate to the FIP Maximaphily Commission.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:50:20 am 

Stewie1980 wrote:
What kind of stamps are now available at the PO's? Only the stamps issued by Uganda Post? Or also the stamps issued by IGPC and Stamperija?

All stamps issued by IGPC and Stamperija are available, at least in the philatelic bureau in the main post office in Kampala. Perhaps not all of them - difficult to ascertain considering the high number of issues. And then, some issues listed on the IGPC and Stamperija may have sold out in Kampala already. I also found many in the Moroto Post Office, Karamoja region, whose former postmaster, Walter Opwonya (now in Gulu), was keen on promoting stamp collecting.

On the other hand, I could not find some issues which are on sale in Uganda on the IGPC and Stamperija websites, e.g. the 2012 issue for Uganda's 50th Independence Anniversary. Or have I overlooked something? I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that all stamps for Uganda are done either by IGPC and Stamperija.

Most of the issues in souvenir sheets include denominations for which I find no use. Their value is far to high or does not correspond to any postal tariff, except if you need high values for inland parcels. Even then it is a headache to calculate which of these fancy denominations you have to combine to arrive at the correct postage. Current postal rates came into effect on 24 February 2012, and an inland letter up to 20g is 700 shilling, the same by airmail to East Africa is 1800, to the rest of Africa 2400, to Europe/Middle East/India 2700 and for all other destinations 3400.

Joachim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:27:47 am 

jduester wrote:
Stewie1980 wrote:

All stamps issued by IGPC and Stamperija are available, at least in the philatelic bureau in the main post office in Kampala. Perhaps not all of them - difficult to ascertain considering the high number of issues. And then, some issues listed on the IGPC and Stamperija may have sold out in Kampala already. I also found many in the Moroto Post Office, Karamoja region, whose former postmaster, Walter Opwonya (now in Gulu), was keen on promoting stamp collecting.

On the other hand, I could not find some issues which are on sale in Uganda on the IGPC and Stamperija websites, e.g. the 2012 issue for Uganda's 50th Independence Anniversary. Or have I overlooked something? I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that all stamps for Uganda are done either by IGPC and Stamperija.

Most of the issues in souvenir sheets include denominations for which I find no use. Their value is far to high or does not correspond to any postal tariff, except if you need high values for inland parcels. Even then it is a headache to calculate which of these fancy denominations you have to combine to arrive at the correct postage. Current postal rates came into effect on 24 February 2012, and an inland letter up to 20g is 700 shilling, the same by airmail to East Africa is 1800, to the rest of Africa 2400, to Europe/Middle East/India 2700 and for all other destinations 3400.

Joachim

Thanks!

The 50th Independence Anniversary set was issued by Uganda Post.

I'm glad Uganda still issues some stamps themselves without involvement of one of those greedy agencies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 04:51:46 am 
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Joachim, does Uganda still have revenue stamps?
http://www.revrevd.com/uganda.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 21:41:56 pm 

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
Joachim, does Uganda still have revenue stamps?

No, there are none. But it is difficult to find out when the nuse of fiscal stamps actually stopped. Some people remember them, but can't tell me when they were abolished.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 13:15:53 pm 
GOLD Star Super Posting Board Member

Great info and interesting to hear that agency stamps are available locally; but are you sure they are accepted for postage? Have you actually seen some being used? I would love to see one cover with these stamps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 17:05:12 pm 

drseg wrote:
Great info and interesting to hear that agency stamps are available locally; but are you sure they are accepted for postage? Have you actually seen some being used? I would love to see one cover with these stamps.

I find the question a bit strange. There is no such thing as an "agency stamp". All stamps are by Posta Uganda - no matter which company was commissioned to design and print them or has a contract to market them outside Uganda. They are sold in the post offices, and they are all valid for postage and used. Can you imagine that someone comes to a post office in Uganda with a letter he wants to post, the postal official behind the counter sells him a stamp and puts it on a letter, and then tells the customer that he cannot accept the letter for posting because the stamp just sold and affixed to the letter is not valid for postage?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 17:59:18 pm 

Hi Joachim,

I hope my below queries/ suggestions dont rub you off in a wrong way.

I guess many of us would like to know if you find below 2013 stamps in the local Post office.

Example A)

Example B)

I dont mind exchanging covers with you having example A and B,like an expirement

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:18:17 pm 

Kennethsequeira wrote:
I dont mind exchanging covers with you having example A and B,like an expirement

With pleasure Ken. Just contact me with your postal address. I know I bought the A) stamps from the post office and have used them for letters. I have seen B) for sale in the post office, but who the hell needs a 7.500 shillings stamp? It will require a lot of calculating to produce an item with the correct postage. I will try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:24:28 pm 

There we go, email sent :mrgreen:

Dont need to be exactly the same image for example B having the right postage costs or a mix and match cover also would be ideal :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 13:08:41 pm 

jduester wrote:
drseg wrote:

I find the question a bit strange. There is no such thing as an "agency stamp". All stamps are by Posta Uganda - no matter which company was commissioned to design and print them or has a contract to market them outside Uganda. They are sold in the post offices, and they are all valid for postage and used. Can you imagine that someone comes to a post office in Uganda with a letter he wants to post, the postal official behind the counter sells him a stamp and puts it on a letter, and then tells the customer that he cannot accept the letter for posting because the stamp just sold and affixed to the letter is not valid for postage?

Kenneth clarified my question. I am asking because in some countries the stamps printed by agencies (as illustrated by type B by Kenneth) are not valid for postage. I know for a fact that it is the case in Gambia. Like Kenneth, I would like also to exchange covers and would be interested in covers with type B (agencies) stamps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 04:48:48 am 

I have some [about 20-30] Ugandan stamps and they look interesting to me. Can you give me some more information on the country and collecting the country's stamps?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 20:06:53 pm 

Received this lovely cover from jduester thanks a lot :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 23:13:21 pm 
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Thank you for interesting and useful information about Uganda. I visited there in November 2013 but did not get much opportunity to visit post offices but did buy stamps for use on postcards (from hotel shops) and found that the only ones for sale were those that look like real stamps - the 50th anniversary of independence stamps and the current definitives.

I visited the main post office in Kampala and went to the philatelic counter there. There was a large display on the wall of numerous items for sale - issues dating back some years as well as recent IGPC and Stamperija issues. I asked the lady who was working at the counter if it was OK to photograph the board, I think she thought I was a little strange, and she did not know what to do so she phoned someone more senior who declined my request.

I asked to be allowed to see what was for sale and she showed me a large envelope which contained a large number of Stamperija sheetlets and miniature sheets, as well as some IGPC issues, and I bought 1 Stamperija sheetlet and min. sheet as well as some other items.

A local person came to the bureau to buy a couple of stamps for use on ordinary mail and he was sold a couple of Stamperija items so clearly such items can be used for postage but seem to be far less available than the local issues which I believe are generally printed by Oriental Press in Bahrain.

I was interested that the clerk told me that the IGPC set of Dogs (2 sheetlets of 4 and 2 min. sheets) was the most recent new issue there (7 September) even though a date of issue for the Prince George was given by IGPC as 1 October would have meant that that would have been the most recent new issue before my visit - it clearly was NOT on sale locally in early November.

After making my purchases I was allowed to photograph the philatelic counter as well as another board which displayed stamp issues for sale at the counter.

My impressions therefore were that most stamps for sale for day-to-day mail use in Uganda are old definitives (reptile set and bird set) along with stamps originating from Bahrain which usually have themes of local interest to Uganda. The Stamperija and IGPC issues are available particularly at the Kampala Philatelic counter and valid for ordinary mail use but far less likely to be for sale at ordinary small post offices and other outlets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 23:35:59 pm 

Thanks for sharing this info whiteknight&dog

Great if you could upload some images of items you got from the counter as well as poster board :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 00:40:12 am 

Here is my photo of the Kampala Philatelic Counter with the display board (which I was not allowed to photograph) in the background.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 00:52:10 am 

This second picture shows the display board that I was allowed to photograph (sorry that the quality of both pictures is not brilliant). It is possible to see that items for sale included the 2010 World Cup sheetlets, "Millenium" miniature sheets from 2000 which feature former kings of Buganda, some issues featuring John Paul II, issues which commemorated the Aga Khan, and at the bottom right, some Stamperija issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 02:50:02 am 

Here and in the following posts are some of the items I bought at Kampala Philatelic Counter in November 2013. This is the Dogs miniature sheet which I was told was the latest issue at the time. Clearly an IGPC production.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 02:51:38 am 

One of the 2 Dogs sheetlets from 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 02:56:28 am 

I do not normally buy any stamps that are produced by Stamperija but this issue seemed relevant to Uganda as it is on the subject of endangered wildlife of the Great Lakes region and at least I knew that the money I spent on it was going to the Uganda Post Office rather than straight to the philatelic agent's bank account. I also bought the accompanying miniature sheet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:01:42 am 

20 different stamps were issued in, I think, 2010 which depicted gorillas (Rwanda released a similar issue at the same time) printed in 2 se-tenant blocks of 10 and this issue seemed to be a particularly good souvenir of a visit to Uganda including a trip to see the wild gorillas in the west of the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:05:56 am 

Finally a rather expensive miniature sheet and pair of stamps which was donated to Uganda by The People's Republic Of China in 2012 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the 2 countries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 21:44:33 pm 
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

very interesting info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 02:28:24 am 

Great photos, whiteknight&dog! I was at the Philatelic Bureau today but forgot my camera to take some more pictures. When I visited a few weeks ago, all the staff had gone for the launch of the new triangular stamps celebrating the 100 years of Sikhs in Uganda. The guy left guarding the counter was not authorized to sell anything, so I came back today.

Disappointment: the triangular stamps have been launched, but have not yet arrived at the counter! So I asked to see the big boxes where they keep whatever is still available of stamp issues over the past 20 years. An incredible variety. By the way, some of the better stamps were printed by Cartor, Switzerland.

Ken, will send you some covers as requested above.

Cheers
Joachim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 05:03:28 am 

Joachim,
Do you have a page or site for your Oman stamps or your Ugandan stamps?
Thanks,
William

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 05:03:28 am 

Joachim,
Thanks,
William

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:32:26 am 

Here is an image another member found of the Sikh stamps- for more information on this release of this issue see the latest Stamps in the News:
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52504

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 16:30:51 pm 

Thanks for the images ... MargoZ..

This set definitely goes in my wantlist :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 00:03:06 am 

cable1234 wrote:

Hi William,

No, I have no website or blog at the moment for Oman stamps - just no time to do it. And if I do, it would have to be on some particular aspect - which aspect would you consider interesting? As for Uganda, I don't collect Uganda at all - I just live here.

Cheers
Joachim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 04:07:40 am 

drseg wrote:
Kenneth clarified my question. I am asking because in some countries the stamps printed by agencies (as illustrated by type B by Kenneth) are not valid for postage. I know for a fact that it is the case in Gambia. Like Kenneth, I would like also to exchange covers and would be interested in covers with type B (agencies) stamps.

So whats the verdict :?: :?: This is what jduester sent me :mrgreen:

1.Cover with Agency printed stamps - Lovely Elvis Presley stamps

2. Cover with Agency and Uganda related stamps- Marathon runner & Princess Middleton

So its valid for postage from Uganda.... all doubts rests here..... Thanks to jduester :mrgreen:

Wish we could have more members from Togo, Mozambique, etc... for a similar exercise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:12:23 am 

Hi jduester,
I have some State of Oman stamps but not sure if they are legitimate as I have heard stories of stamps with that name on it being not recognized by Oman. What name is recognized on stamps from Oman after Britain left?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 20:51:27 pm 

cable1234 wrote:
Hi jduester,
... What name is recognized on stamps from Oman after Britain left?

After the closure of the British Post Office in Muscat in April 1966 and the takeover of postal services by the sultan's government, the sultanate issued its own stamps which were inscribed "Muscat & Oman". The country's name changed to "Sultanate of Oman" on 8 August 1970 and the old stamps were overprinted "Sultanate of Oman" in January 1971. Ever since, stamps from Oman are inscribed "Sultanate of Oman". Stamps with "State of Oman" and "Dhufar" have been issued by a rebel organisation headed by Imam Ghalib bin Ali al-Hinai and have never been used in Oman itself but were accepted for postal use in some other Arab countries. See my short note on Dhufar stamps on www.oman.org/phil85.htm

Besides collecting the "real" stamps of Oman, I have done extensive research on the rebel issues ever since they were first printed in 1967 and am working on several studies on this phenomenon. I have hundreds of kilos of such stamps and thousands of postally used covers, but there are still varieties and odd items I am searching for. Which proves that even 50 years of collecting a very small field cannot exhaust the subject and still provides new discoveries and a lot of excitement ...

Joachim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:09:45 am 

That is quite an accomplishment and thank you for clarifying that for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 05:49:39 am 

jduester wrote:
... see the letter box below which I found in Mvili Lane in Kololo East:

Not sure whether it is still in use ... should I try?

Too late now, after coming back from a trip to Europe in late March 2014, the letter box was no longer there!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 05:52:54 am 

Here is another post office in Uganda: the airport post office inside Entebbe Airport building. Unfortunately it was closed when I took this photo around 3:00 am in the morn ing before boarding a flight to Istanbul in summer 2013.

Greetings from the Pearl of Africa
Joachim

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 03:11:37 am 

I finally managed to go to the Kampala main post office today to get some sheets of the triangular issue of 15 January 2014, celebrating the centenary of Sikh presence in Uganda. The four stamps sell in sheets of 50 each which look like this:

The above is the 1100 shillings stamp.

Best wishes from Uganda
Joachim

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 05:00:39 am 

Evidence of the way the Uganda Post Office views its various stamp issues is provided by its website where it describes 4 types of stamps:-

Definitives,
Commemoratives,
Domestic Mail Stamps and
Overseas Stamps Sales.

Presumably such issues as the Sikh stamps fall into the Domestic Mail category overlapping with the Commemorative category while the Stamperija and IGPC products are categorised as "Overseas Stamps Sales" which is why the latter only seem to be available at the philatelic counter in Kampala while the domestic stamps are more generally available.

If any collector is at the airport when the airport post office is actually open perhaps they may find that Stamperija and IGPC products are also available there.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 02:34:09 am 

whiteknight&dog wrote:
Evidence of the way the Uganda Post Office views its various stamp issues is provided by its website where it describes 4 types of stamps:-

Definitives,
Commemoratives,
Domestic Mail Stamps and
Overseas Stamps Sales.

Presumably such issues as the Sikh stamps fall into the Domestic Mail category overlapping with the Commemorative category while the Stamperija and IGPC products are categorised as "Overseas Stamps Sales" which is why the latter only seem to be available at the philatelic counter in Kampala while the domestic stamps are more generally available.

If any collector is at the airport when the airport post office is actually open perhaps they may find that Stamperija and IGPC products are also available there.

I would not attach any deeper meaning to the categorization on the website (which is inaccurate and outdated in many respects anyway). There is definitely no such thing as a "domestic mail stamp". Stamperija and IGPC products are perfectly suited for, and used for, domestic and international mail, and the availability of such stamps, and indeed of any commemorative issues, no matter where printed, in post offices other than the main post office in Kampala only depends of the initiative of the post master at any such post office. Any post office can ask for supplies of any commemorative stamps. Aty least that is what postmasters in Moroto and Gulu told me.

My take on the subject is that the contracts with Stamperija and IGPC are not exclusive. These companies can produce a limited number of stamps under their license (and all of these must be, and indeed are, available for sale by Posta Uganda), but this does not preclude Posta Uganda from commissioning other issues from other agents or directly from printers such as Cartor. And Cartor did indeed a good quality job with the triangular stamps.

Cheers
Joachim

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 04:41:53 am 

jduester wrote:
whiteknight&dog wrote:

Definitives,
Commemoratives,
Domestic Mail Stamps and
Overseas Stamps Sales.

whiteknight&dog wrote:

Definitives,
Commemoratives,
Domestic Mail Stamps and
Overseas Stamps Sales.

I would not attach any deeper meaning to the categorization on the website (which is inaccurate and outdated in many respects anyway). There is definitely no such thing as a "domestic mail stamp". Stamperija and IGPC products are perfectly suited for, and used for, domestic and international mail, and the availability of such stamps, and indeed of any commemorative issues, no matter where printed, in post offices other than the main post office in Kampala only depends of the initiative of the post master at any such post office. Any post office can ask for supplies of any commemorative stamps.[ Aty least that is what postmasters in Moroto and Gulu told me.

My take on the subject is that the contracts with Stamperija and IGPC are not exclusive. These companies can produce a limited number of stamps under their license (and all of these must be, and indeed are, available for sale by Posta Uganda), but this does not preclude Posta Uganda from commissioning other issues from other agents or directly from printers such as Cartor. And Cartor did indeed a good quality job with the triangular stamps.

Cheers
Joachim

Thank you. Can you say whether or not the postmasters at Moroto and Gulu have actually ordered the IGPC and Stamperija items and have actually put them on sale at their post offices?

Also have you visited any other post offices outside of the main office in Kampala which are actually selling for use on ordinary mail the IGPC and Stamperija products?

Indeed are the IGPC and Stamperija products on sale at ordinary counters in Kampala Post Office or solely on sale at the Philatelic counter which I visited last year?

I think the IGPC and Stamperija products have to be viewed as legitimate if they are on general sale at small post offices other than the Kampala Philatelic counter (they should actually be on sale not just theoretically available for postmasters to request).

Your information is always most interesting and helpful.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 04:51:09 am 

Further to my question about Moroto Post Office I think you do actually say above that IGPC/Stamperija stamps were on sale there when you visited the place although it seemed to be due to the work of a post master who was interested in promoting stamp collecting. So, I apologise for asking you a question you have already answered, however is Moroto a special case or have you actually seen widespread sales of these items during your time in Uganda?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 03:20:04 am 

whiteknight&dog wrote:
I think the IGPC and Stamperija products have to be viewed as legitimate if they are on general sale at small post offices other than the Kampala Philatelic counter (they should actually be on sale not just theoretically available for postmasters to request).

I will do some more research, but unfortunately do not have much time to stop at post offices when travelling. But in any case, I think you are putting the hurdles far too high: it is not reasonable to demand that a stamp must be available in many or most post offices to be considered a legitimate issue. I lived in London for some years, and most British commemoratives were only available at the Trafalgar Square Post Office which does specific philatelic sales - never at any of the three post offices in my neighbourhood. Not even on request! And "my" three post offices were in Central London (Victoria, Pimlico and Belgravia) with a high volume of mail, not small village post offices. Does this mean that most of the British commemorative stamps are not legitimate because you can only buy them at one post office?

Best wishes from Kampala
Joachim

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 06:11:38 am 

Joachim,
Thank you. I quite understand that it is difficult to visit various post offices - time is always so short.

You pose a marvellous question - basically, what is a postage stamp in these modern times? I rather take the line that it is an item which is a receipt for the pre-payment of postage and should usually be freely available to the general public for it to use on ordinary mail.

I think that a number of items produced by Royal Mail are collectables with postal validity but limited availability rather than being true postage stamps and I think it is up to the individual collector (of postage stamps) to decide whether or not certain items should be included in their collection (of postage stamps).

Unless I could be convinced that the IGPC and Stamperija produced items of Uganda were available at more places than just the Kampala Philatelic Counter I would view them as collectables rather than true postage stamps and omit them from my Uganda collection. Other collectors would undoubtedly taken a different view.

I suppose it may just be a matter of semantics but my personal definition of what to add to my collection of (postage) stamps means that I do not end up spending my money on what I personally view as a rip-off. In consequence I enjoy my collection far more than I otherwise would.

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:51:49 am 

My aspect of Oman philately would be peri dependence especially any King George VI and any overprints.