This cover is an interesting one... sent from the Royal Edward Victualling Yard, Pyrmont 21 March 1934 to Pitt Street, Sydney and returned unknown.
It has a number of interesting markings -
a poor "Unknown (either to or by postmen) Pitt Street",
a CDS "Called Postmen's Section" in red;
the pointing finger "return to sender" in purple;
and in red a boxed
"Royal Edward Victualling Yard
26 Mar 1934" receiving notation back at the point of posting.
It also has a purple "Unknown at Address (5)" which is an earlier date of use than reported in Orchard and Tobin.
For those interested I have added information on the Victualling Yard below.
Royal Edward Victualling Yard Group, Darling Island Rd, Pyrmont, NSW, Australia
The Royal Edward Victualling Yard (REVY), dating from the early twentieth century, is historically significant for its lengthy associations with Australia's naval history. The establishment served Royal Navy vessels during the last years of British naval responsibility in Australian waters and subsequently served the Royal Australian Navy in peace and war for many decades. REVY also helps to reflect Pyrmont's historical role as a warehouse and wharfs precinct of Sydney.
In 1846, Quarry master Charles Saunders was contracted to level Darling Island and the Australasian Steam Navigation Company subsequently constructed and operated a large ship building and maintenance works. This company operated the largest of the New South Wales (NSW) coastal shipping fleets for a number of decades before being absorbed by overseas interests in the 1890s. The shipyard was sold in 1895, and then was acquired by the Government in 1896 as a site for the British Admiralty to hold naval stores. Buildings A and B were designed by NSW Government Architect W L Vernon for the British Admiralty for its Australia Station requirements and erected between 1904 and 1907 by builders McLeod Brothers. As the Royal Edward Victualling Yard (REVY), the complex was the first Royal Yard in the southern hemisphere. Its construction reflected both Australia's need for British naval forces and Britain's need for Australian stores, production and storage. Naval stores had previously been held at Garden Island and were transferred from Garden Island in 1907. The yard was occupied by the Royal Navy until 1913 when it was taken over by the Royal Australian Navy (formed 1911).
These buildings were specifically designed as a storehouse for foodstuffs, cloth, clothing and equipment, to be loaded onboard ships moored at the adjacent wharf. They were fitted with a range of lifting and handling equipment as part of the design and were early electrified goods handling buildings; as well they were among the first stores buildings to be fitted with a sprinkler system.
During the 1990s the buildings were converted for office uses by Naval Support Command. Building C was designed by Vernon (the NSW Public Works Department was commissioned by the newly formed Commonwealth Government to build it) and it was built between 1908-12. It too had electric powered goods lifting equipment. Initially it housed stores of the Postmaster General's Department and the Military Stores, though during World War One the military use of the building expanded greatly. In 1923 it was handed over to the Royal Australian Navy and it held naval stores including food and clothing etc. All three buildings thus were associated with Australian naval operations in peace and war during the twentieth century and REVY was the RAN's biggest victualling yard. Building C was converted from stores use in the 1980s for occupation by the Department of Defence, Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO). Changes in stores handling brought about by containerisation and the move of naval storage away from the waterfront ushered in the changed use of the buildings.