Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 02:05:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03:07 am 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

US, The founding of Jamestown, 1907

Designers: G. Rose and Edward M. Hall - Engraver: Marcus. W. Baldwin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 23:19:38 pm 

Déjà vu stamps, part four: Mountain men.

- nethryk

ImageImage

Kentucky Statehood, designed after a mural in the Kentucky state capitol building in Frankfort painted in 1909 by the American artist Thomas Gilbert White (1877-1939), depicting Daniel Boone and his party catching their first glimpse of the Bluegrass region atop Pilot Knob in 1769. This commemorative stamp was engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and A.W. Christensen (lettering), and issued by the USA on June 1, 1942, Scott No. 904.

Blue Mountains Crossing, designed by Tom Alban and engraved by P.E. Morris, depicting explorers Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Wentworth looking west from Mount York on May 28, 1813, issued by Australia on May 28, 1963, Scott No. 354, SG No. 352.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:24:27 am 

Nethryk, I love your Gemstone :D

Aden, ¾ Anna Camel Corpsman, 1939

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:11:51 pm 
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

nethryk wrote:
Déjà vu stamps, part four: Mountain men.

- nethryk

ImageImage

Kentucky Statehood, designed after a mural in the Kentucky state capitol building in Frankfort painted in 1909 by the American artist Thomas Gilbert White (1877-1939), depicting Daniel Boone and his party catching their first glimpse of the Bluegrass region atop Pilot Knob in 1769. This commemorative stamp was engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and A.W. Christensen (lettering), and issued by the USA on June 1, 1942, Scott No. 904.

Blue Mountains Crossing, designed by Tom Alban and engraved by P.E. Morris, depicting explorers Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Wentworth looking west from Mount York on May 28, 1813, issued by Australia on May 28, 1963, Scott No. 354, SG No. 352.

A timely post to celebrate the win by nethryk of the monthly prize.

As usual I am intrigued by the beauty of the engraved stamps from the USA placed here by fellow members. The similarity of the USA and Aussie stamps above is remarkable.

I have stood on that spot in the Blue Mountains and seen the original track through this rugged country which is now only a short drive from Western Sydney. Despite the fact that the Blue Mountains are traversed by multi-laned highways and a busy railway, it is still an area where you can walk and climb to your hearts content. The valleys, cliffs, waterfalls and streams meant it was a huge barrier to the original white explorers but they make a wonderful backdrop these days to the 4 million people in Sydney.

One of my favourite stamps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 23:42:35 pm 

stallzer - Thanks! I'll try to keep my gemstone as well-polished as you have kept yours. :D

KevinHedley - Thanks for the recognition. Not only is Stampboards a great place to learn from other collectors, but I have also found that doing the research to post items here is a rewarding way to explore and enjoy my own stamp collection more thoroughly. The Blue Mountains must be beautiful to behold. I've visited Kentucky a couple of times, but I've never been to Pilot Knob; now I'm tempted!

This day in history: 1892, "Loti ne sait pas lire" ("Loti doesn't know how to read"), so asserted Pierre Loti (pseudonym of Julien Viaud; 1850-1923), French novelist and naval officer, to the Académie fran'aise on the day of his introduction as a newly elected member. False modesty, perhaps? In reality, Loti maintained an extensive personal library. In 1876 fellow naval officers persuaded Loti to turn into a novel passages in his diary dealing with some curious experiences in Istanbul. The result was the anonymously published Aziyadé (1879), part romance, part autobiography. From there, Loti went on to publish many other highly popular novels and other works over the course of his successful literary career.

Here are images of a semi-postal stamp depicting Pierre Loti, engraved by Gabriel-Antoine Barlangue, and issued by France on June 18, 1937, Scott No. B63, Y&T No. 353. Note the shadowy view of what appears to be Istanbul's landmark Blue (aka Sultan Ahmed) Mosque in the background. The photo is a view of the mosque from the Sea of Marmara; the lighthouse is a bonus feature. :D

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 22:36:31 pm 

Poet's Corner: Sidney Lanier (1842-1881) developed a unique style of poetry written in logaoedic dactyls, which was strongly influenced by the works of the Anglo-Saxon poets. Here are images of a stamp designed after a portrait of Lanier by artist William Arthur Smith, engraved by Edward P. Archer (vignette) and Kenneth C. Wiram (lettering), and issued by the USA on the 130th anniversary of Lanier's birth, February 3, 1972, Scott No. 1446.

- nethryk

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:03:05 am 

US Airmail, C1 Jenny

Designer: Claire Aubrey Huston - Engravers: J. Eissler and Edward M. Hall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 22:34:14 pm 

This day in history: 1951, President Harry S. Truman fired the highly popular General-of-the-Army Douglas MacArthur as commander of UN forces in the Korean War for making public statements that contradicted the official policies of the United States Government (MacArthur openly advocated expanding the war by bombing Chinese supply bases north of the Yalu River.) This was among the most politically unpopular decisions in US presidential history. Truman's public approval ratings plummeted, and he faced calls for his impeachment.

- nethryk

ImageImage

Truman (1884-1972), designed by Bradbury Thompson from a photo by Leo Stern, engraved by Joseph S. Creamer, Jr. (vignette) and Robert G. Culin, Sr. (lettering), and issued by the USA on May 8, 1973, Scott No. 1499.

MacArthur (1880-1964), designed by Paul Calle from a Wide World photo, engraved by Arthur W. Dintaman (vignette) and Kenneth C. Wiram (lettering), and issued by the USA on January 26, 1971, Scott No. 1424. MacArthur's cap badge seems off-kilter to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 22:17:47 pm 

Poet's Corner: Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695) was the most famous French fabulist and one of the most widely read French poets of the 17th century. Here are images of a stamp designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon, and issued by Monaco on January 18, 1972 to mark the 350th anniversary of La Fontaine's birthday, Scott No. 818, plus one of his witty poems, Le baiser rendu.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 04:27:14 am 

This day in history: 1849, Lajos Kossuth (1802-1894) presented the Hungarian Declaration of Independence from the Habsburg Monarchy to the National Assembly. Here are images of two "Champion of Liberty" series stamps honoring Kossuth, engraved by Richard M. Bowers (vignette) and J.S. Edmondson and Howard F. Sharpless (lettering), and issued by the USA on September 19, 1958, Scott Nos. 1117 & 1118, plus an image of the 1849 Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of Hungary.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 22:29:18 pm 

Poet's Corner: Esaias Tegnér (1782-1846) was a Swedish writer, professor of Greek language, and bishop. In the 19th century he was regarded as the father of modern poetry in Sweden, mainly through the national romantic epos, Fridthjof's Saga. Here are images of a stamp designed after an 1829 bust of Tegnér sculpted by Johan Niclas Byström (1783-1848), engraved by Sven Ewert, and issued by Sweden on January 12, 1946, Scott No. 379, Facit No. 370, plus an excerpt from the saga.

- nethryk

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 14:06:27 pm 

US Official, Department of the Navy proof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 22:59:14 pm 

Happy Birthday wishes to Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci, the ultimate Renaissance Man. Here are images of two stamps issued to mark the 500th anniversary of his birth, plus an image of his 1485 oil-on-wood painting, Lady with an Ermine.

- nethryk

Image Image Image

Leonardo da Vinci, semi-postal stamp designed by M.R. Polak after a self-portrait, engraved by Boguslaw Brandt, and issued by Poland on June 1, 1952, Scott No. B73.

Leonard de Vinci, commemorative stamp depicting a self-portrait, le château d'Amboise and a view of Florence, designed and engraved by Albert Decaris, and issued by France on July 9, 1952, Scott No. 682, Y&T No. 929.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 21:38:41 pm 

Poet's Corner/Happy Birthday wishes to: Anatole France (1844-1924), born Fran'ois-Anatole Thibault, French poet, journalist, and novelist. He was a member of the Académie fran'aise, and won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Here are images of a semi-postal stamp depicting Anatole France, designed and engraved by Antonin Delzers, and issued by France on June 16, 1937, Scott No. B49, Y&T No. 343. Also, here is a poem from Anatole France's 1873 anthology, Les poèmes dorés (Golden Poems), and my own attempt at a translation.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 22:52:17 pm 

Poet's Corner: Giuseppe Parini was an Italian Enlightenment satirist and poet of the neoclassic period. Here are images of a stamp designed and engraved by Antonio Ciaburro after an original lithograph portrait by Francesco Rosaspina (1762-1841), issued by Italy on October 2, 1999, Scott No. 2308. Also, here is an excerpt from Parini's 1763 poem, Il Giorno (The Day), consisting of ironic instructions to a young nobleman as to the best method of spending his mornings.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 07:20:35 am 

One cannot live on poesy alone. In order to "spice up" this thread a little, here are images of a set of three uncluttered stamps depicting South East Asian fruits, engraved by Claude Durrens, and issued by Cambodia on June 4, 1962, Scott Nos. 109-111, SG Nos. 136-138.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

Turmeric (Curcuma longa). Good news for us oldsters: recent medical studies have shown that this spice inhibits arthritis pain and damage to joints.

Cinnamon is obtained from the inner bark of several trees from the genus Cinnamomum. Tastes great on apple sauce.

The fruit of the purple mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana), a tropical evergreen tree, is sweet and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 07:27:45 am 
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Hats off to you, nethryk, for posting some real beauties as far as engraved stamps go, but to top it off your expanations and write-ups about each stamp makes this a real worthwhile thread. Thank you!!

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 20:29:54 pm 
Senior Member Advanced Stamp Board Guru
Senior Member Advanced Stamp Board Guru

I agree with Gus. Let's all raise a glass to Nethryk! Thanks, Nethryk, for all your interesting posts. I'm still grappling with scanner technology but hope to post some scans soon.
Happy Easter everyone, from an unusually (for April) hot and sunny UK :D
Aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 22:28:26 pm 

Berlin-Gus & aardvark - Thank you! I'm glad that you find my posts here interesting. I have found that the more I learn about each stamp in my collection, the more I enjoy it as a work of art. I'd love to see more posts from other collectors, too. :)

This day in history: 1962, the six-month long Century 21 Exposition (aka the Seattle World's Fair) opened in Seattle, Washington. Two notable features of the fair were the construction of the 605' (184 m) tall landmark Space Needle, and the 1.2 mile (1.9 km) futuristic Seattle Center Monorail. Both the tower and the monorail are still in use today. Here are images of a stamp publicizing the Seattle World's Fair, designed by John Maass, engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and G.A. Payne (lettering), and issued by the USA on April 25, 1962, Scott No. 1196. I have also included photos of the Space Needle at night, and of the Seattle Center Monorail.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:18:06 am 

US Department of Agriculture, 12¢ Proof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08:05 pm 

stallzer wrote:
US Department of Agriculture, 12¢ Proof

Good to see you back with another of those fine US stamps.

I will continue to watch (not post) for a few weeks until I finish posting all of the Australian 2009-10 issues.

Keep up the good work all :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 14:06:27 pm 
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Here are a couple of my favorite US engraved stamps.

The 1928 International Aeronautics Conference at Washington DC. The 2 cents depicts the Wright Flyer 1 and the 5 cents the Ryan B-5.

Designed by Claire Aubrey Huston and Alvin R. Meissner

Engravers for the 2 cents are: Joachim C. Benzing (Airplane) - Louis S. Schofield (Capitol and monument) and Edward M. Hall (frame and lettering).

Engravers for the 5 cents: Schofield (vignette) - Hall (frame & lettering)

-Jen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 22:46:43 pm 

Poet's Corner: Double Danish for Good Friday.

- nethryk

Nikolaj Frederik Severin Grundtvig (1783-1872) was a Danish pastor, author, poet, philosopher, historian, teacher, and politician. He was one of the most influential people in Danish history, as his philosophy gave rise to a new form of nationalism in the last half of the 19th century. Here are images of a stamp designed after a portrait of him in oils by painter Constantin Hansen (1804-1880), engraved by Czesław Słania, and issued by Denmark on November 3, 1983, Scott No. 747, Facit No. 816, plus an excerpt from one of his best known poems.

ImageImage

Bernhard Severin Ingemann (1789-1862) was a Danish novelist and poet. He was a personal friend of Grundtvig, who was in some degrees his mentor. Ingemann's poems are admired for their great beauty and spirituality. Here are images of a stamp designed after a portrait drawing by Johan Vilhelm Gertner (1818-1871), engraved by Arne Kühlmann, and issued by Denmark on August 24, 1989, Scott No. 876, Facit No. 983, plus a sample of his poetry.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 23:50:24 pm 
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 23:54:45 pm 

Happy St. George's Day! Celebrated not only by England, but also by several other nations, kingdoms, countries, and cities of which St. George is the patron saint; April 23 is the traditionally accepted date of St. George's death in 303 AD. Here are images of a semi-postal stamp depicting St. George slaying the Dragon, designed after a painting by Czech artist Josef Mánes (1820-1871), engraved by Jindra Schmidt, and issued by Czechoslovakia in 1946, Scott No. B157, SG No. 468.

- nethryk

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 21:39:39 pm 

The 25th of April is ANZAC Day in New Zealand and Australia so tomorrow I will be one of about 10,000 people attending a ceremony at the Australian War Memorial here in Canberra.

Similar events will occur throughout the country, ranging from small villages with a handful of veterans to major functions in the large cities. In Sydney and Melbourne the crowds will exceed 100,000.

This pair of stamps from 1958 shows part of the Australian War Memorial. It illustrates the Commemorative Area featuring the Pool of Remembrance. In the background is the Hall of Valour which includes four HUGE statues which are also shown on the stamps.

The designer and engraver was G. Lissenden but, apart from knowing he had numerous works, I have been unable to find out anything about him.

This item will be repeated in an ANZAC Day thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 22:17:03 pm 

Happy Easter! John Paul II was one of the most beloved pontiffs in history. His successor, Pope Benedict XVI, has recently placed him on the fast track to sainthood; May 1 is the date set for John Paul's beatification. The news has thrilled the faithful of the Roman Catholic Church, particularly in Poland. Here are images of the three stamps in a set celebrating Pope John Paul II's 80th birthday, engraved by Czesław Słania, and issued by Poland on May 5, 2000, Scott Nos. 3520-22. This was a joint project: Vatican City issued a nearly identical set of stamps on May 9, 2000.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

Pope's portrait

Black Madonna (Our Lady of Częstochowa). Heavy litho. on this one.

Pastoral Staff (silver crozier)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 21:00:49 pm 

Happy Birthday wishes to: Edward Roscoe Murrow (1908-1965), American broadcast journalist, who first came to prominence with a series of radio news broadcasts during World War II which were followed by millions of listeners in the USA and Canada. Many of his fellow journalists considered Murrow one of journalism's greatest figures. Murrow also produced a series of TV news reports that helped lead to the censure of anti-Communist Party campaigner Senator Joseph McCarthy. Here are images of a stamp honoring Murrow, designed by Chris Calle, engraved by Thomas R. Hipschen (vignette) and Gary J. Slaght (lettering), and issued by the USA on January 21, 1994, Scott No. 2812, plus a photo of Murrow at work.

- nethryk

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 13:31:36 pm 

Poet's Corner: Now here is a guy who LOOKS like a poet: Charles Cros (1842-1888), French poet, humorous writer, and inventor. He is perhaps most famous as the man who almost, but not quite, invented the phonograph. Here are images of a semi-postal stamp honoring Charles Cros, designed and engraved by Pierre Forget, and issued by France on December 3, 1977, Scott No. B502, Y&T No. 1956. I have also included a short selection of Cros's poetry from his 1873 collection, Le coffret de santal (The Sandalwood Chest), along with my own translation.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 21:18:05 pm 

Happy Birthday wishes to: Ferdinand Victor Eugène Delacroix (1798-1863), French Romantic artist. Eugène Delacroix's use of expressive brushstrokes and his study of the optical effects of color profoundly shaped the work of the Impressionists, while his passion for the exotic inspired the artists of the Symbolist movement. Here are images of a stamp designed by Pierre Gandon after a detail from Delacroix's 1857-61 oil painting of Jacob wrestling the angel, engraved by Gandon, and issued by France on March 2, 1963, Scott No. 1054, Y&T No. 1376, plus a photo of Delacroix by Félix Nadar.

- nethryk

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 23:21:37 pm 

Poet's Corner: Jens Hendrik Oliver Djurhuus (1881-1948), whose pen name was Janus Djurhuus, was first Faroese poet to write modern and lyrical poetry. His poetic works are permeated with his knowledge of ancient Greek and Latin classical literature, his national romantic tendencies, his passion for the Faroese language, and his knowledge of Old Norse literature. Djuhuus is called the "father of modern Faroese poetry." Here are images of a stamp designed after a photo of Djurhuus, engraved by Czesław Słania, and issued by the Faroes on May 28, 1984, Scott No. 110, Facit No. 103, plus a translation of his 1914 poem, Atlantis.

- nethryk
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 23:50:59 pm 

Poet's Corner: Nicolas Boileau-Despréaux (1636-1711) was a French poet, satirist and critic who attacked and employed his wit against what he perceived to be the prevailing bad taste of his time. Boileau holds a well-defined place in French literature, as the first who reduced its versification to rule, and taught the value of workmanship for its own sake. Here are images of a semi-postal stamp depicting Boileau and his home in Auteuil, designed and engraved by Charles Mazelin, and issued by France on June 11, 1960, Scott No. B343, Y&T No. 1259. Also, here is the first canto from his epic parody, Le Lutrin, along with my own translation.

- nethryk

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 14:30:49 pm 

Saint Pierre and Miquelon postage stamp issued 9 March 2011

featuring Henriette Bonin, designed by Patrick Derible and engraved by Jean-Yves Beaujard.

Image ... Image

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 20:55:32 pm 

Czech Republic stamp issue of 20 January 2011.

"The Tradition of Czech Stamp Production - Josef Hercik"

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 01:25:00 am 

Happy Birthday wishes to: Louis-Marie Hilaire Bernigaud de Chardonnet (1839-1924), French chemist, engineer and industrialist, and the inventor of "Chardonnet silk" (patented in 1884), a cellulose-based artificial fabric similar to rayon. Here are images of a stamp commemorating le comte Hilaire de Chardonnet, designed and engraved by Charles Mazelin, and issued by France on March 5, 1955, Scott No. 763, Y&T No. 1017, along with a bust of the noble inventor sculpted by his own daughter, artist Anne de Chardonnet (1869-1926.)

- nethryk

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 01:40:48 am 

The Sporting Life: May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month in the USA. Here are images of a couple of stamps to get this month's theme properly "up and running." :)

- nethryk

Image Image

Runner, designed by Pierre Gandon, engraved by Charles Mazelin, and issued by Monaco on July 1, 1948, Scott No. 205, SG No. 344.

Runners, designed by Claude Durrens, engraved by Pierre Forget, and issued by Dahomey on April 11, 1963, Scott No. 175, SG No. 188.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 19:57:24 pm 

Czech Republic postage stamp issued on 9 February 2011.

Jiri Melantrich of Aventinum (1511-1580).

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 00:16:43 am 

This day in history: 2011, American military forces kill terrorist Osama bin Laden. Here are images of Benjamin Franklin's Credo, engraved by Robert J. Jones (vignette) and Howard F. Sharpless (lettering), and issued by the USA on March 31, 1960, Scott No. 1140. Photo: Remembering the victims.

- nethryk

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 06:28:50 am 

The Sporting Life: Fore! Robert Tyre "Bobby" Jones Jr. (1902-1971), a lawyer by profession, was the most successful amateur golfer ever to compete on a national and international level. Jones is most famous for his unique "Grand Slam," consisting of his victories in all four major golf tournaments of his era (the open and amateur championships in both the U.S. & the U.K.) in a single calendar year (1930). Here are images of a stamp featuring Bobby Jones designed by Richard Gangel, engraved by Joseph S. Creamer, Jr. (vignette) and Albert Saavedra (lettering), and issued by the USA on September 22, 1981, Scott No. 1933, plus a photo of Jones in a similar pose.

- nethryk

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 20:20:21 pm 

In February 2011 Monaco issued two new stamps to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Antoine Bourdelle.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:03:40 am 

The Sporting Life: Here are images of a set of stamps issued by Monaco on December 3, 1964 for the 18th modern Olympic Games, held in Tokyo. All four stamps were designed by French artist Pierrette Lambert, Scott Nos. 592-95. Note the Japanese landscape-themed background on three of the stamps; I suppose Lambert reasoned that such a design element would be superfluous on the judo stamp. Also, all of the depicted athletes seem to me to have oriental facial features.

- nethryk

Weightlifting, engraved by Jules Piel.

Judo, engraved by Jules Piel.

Pole vault, engraved by René Cottet.

Archery, engraved by Charles Mazelin.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 23:02:29 pm 

Happy Birthday wishes to: Gabriel Urbain Fauré (1845-1924), one of the foremost French composers of his generation whose musical style influenced many 20th century composers. Here are images of a semi-postal stamp depicting Fauré, the score of his 1913 opera Pénélope, and the main figures from the painting Ulysse et Pénélope, by Italian artist Francesco Primaticcio, known as Le Primatice (1504-1570.) This stamp was designed by Jean Pheulpin, engraved by René Cottet, and issued by France on June 25, 1966, Scott No. B397, Y&T No. 1473. Also, here are images of a photo of Fauré (c.1900) by Eugène Pirou (1841-1909), and of Le Primatrice's 1563 painting.

- nethryk

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 04:15:33 am 

The Sporting Life: With the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs now underway, here is an image of a booklet stamp depicting former Swedish National Hockey League New York Rangers star right winger Tomas Sandström (28) confronting The Great One, Wayne Gretzky (99) in an Edmonton Oilers uniform, while in the background Rangers goaltender Grant Fuhr makes another save. This stamp was engraved by Lars Sjööblom, and issued by Sweden on March 29, 1988, Scott No. 1677, Facit No. 1495.

- nethryk

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 22:32:02 pm 
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Added this to my Rarity page today - USA 1955 $5 Black, Alexander Hamilton top value .. a better centred plate block would be impossible to find, and yet these are still very cheap stamps I feel for something now 55 years old.

Glen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 19:08:24 pm 

Monaco continues to produce engraved stamps. This one was issued on 12 January 2011 to celebrate the centenary of the birth of Fangio.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 22:22:30 pm 

Saint Pierre and Miquelon postage stamp issued 9 March 2011

featuring Henriette Bonin, designed by Patrick Derible and engraved by Jean-Yves Beaujard.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 14:30:49 pm

I thought this was a Slania stamp at first glance. Such quality!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 22:23:44 pm 

Now why didn't the image show? Ah, well!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 05:04:10 am 

KevinHedley - That Fangio was such a good sport. :D

The Sporting Life: In team handball two teams of seven players each (six outfield players and a goalkeeper) pass a ball around and try to throw it into the goal of the other team. The team with the most goals after two periods of 30 minutes wins. Here are some images of a stamp depicting a championship handball player, designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps, and issued by France on February 21, 1970, Scott No. 1265, Y&T No. 1629, plus a photo of a women's game.

- nethryk

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 01:43:58 am 

This day in history: 1881, Clara Barton (1821-1912) founds the American Red Cross. Here is an image of a stamp honoring Barton, engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and E.H. Helmuth (lettering), and issued by the USA on September 7, 1948, Scott No. 967.

- nethryk

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 05:05:24 am 
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Added this pretty 1897 Plate Proof pair to my rarity page today. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 64  Next