Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 19:41:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 13:18:52 pm 
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Recently bought some stamps on eBay, private seller, not dealer. He obviously tried his best to package the stamps safely with backing card but then wrapped the whole kit in packaging tape.

The resultant package was just marginally larger than the stamps. Despite my greatest care, I ended up damaging one of the stamps while opening the package. Letter opener in the wrong slot syndrome.

I have received others in pieces of hagner sheet. Mostly the stamps have fallen out of the hagner by the time they get here, but at least they are still safe.

Then there's the postie who leaves large envelopes beside the letterbox in pouring rain or blinding sun.

What's the best way for packaging stamps to get them arriving safely?

And is it legit to ask eBay sellers to package them to the buyers' specifications?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 05:31:19 am 
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

For individual or small numbers of stamps, I put them into a glassine and tape to a piece of cardboard cut to the envelope's shape, then wrap a piece of paper around it and put into the envelope. For larger numbers of stamps I use an approval size stock card.

For covers, I use a soft sleeve and fitted cardboard as above. I use a 5½ x 7 envelope for most of the covers I sell. A hard plastic sleeve can slide inside the envelope and even break out, if there is enough centrifugal force.

It probably doesn't hurt to request some care in packaging, especially if the seller doesn't sell many stamps.

Also remember that tape is the enemy of stamp collecting; any loose end will invariably snare the high value from the set, or damage a cover.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 09:33:50 am 

I usually use glassines and a piece of cardboard, or on hagners (cut to size as required) and post in padded Australia Post envelopes. They range in price from 80 cents each upwards, but fully protect the contents. I also usually put "DO NOT BEND" on the face of the bag.

Norm

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:44:37 am 
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Have the stamps in a dealear stock card (with a clear flap) then inside a press to seal plastic bag.

Depending on weight then sandwich between 2 cut to size (Envelope size!) pieces of stiff cardboard and slide into envelope.

No sticky tape used. If the envelope gets wet then the stamps are in a bag. With the extra cardboard if they do get a bit misshandled the cardboard keeps the envelope stiff.

Cost of this packaging stock card 27c, bag 10c, cardboard "free" (old cereal box etc) or ask a local printer for some off cuts.

So for about say 40c all up, with a normal envelope, stamps will be protected, dry and undamaged without slicing through a mile of sticky tape.

Or you could go with a Glassine bag taped to a stiff board with another board on the front and put the whole lot in bag then an envelope.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:07:52 am 
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Collectors in general have an abiding fetish to tape/staple down EVERYTHING they mail to dealers, if sending a single stamp, or a set.

I get about 100 sendings a year that fit the general nightmare below --- from folks selling me stuff, and sadly, dozens from members here.

No names no pack drill, but 3 sendings recently from those here looked like they were packed by new recruits at a sheltered workshop. :lol:

The "Collector Packaging for Mailing Rule Book" seems to say --

1. Find two TINY bits of cardboard -- the thicker the better, as of course the mail sorting machinery is likely to jam them, ruining/creasing the lot.

2. Then wrap the stamp(s) in some old glassine, butcher's paper, wrapping from your last Chico Roll purchase etc, and seal it all TIGHT.

3. Take mess #2 and insert between the 2 x tiny thick bits of cardboard. ENSURE cardboard is opaque, so the poor schmuck who opens it has no idea where NOT to cut with the Stanley knife required. Hence literally slicing into stamps on many occasions, as idiot sender leaves 1mm clearance all around.

4. Cover all sides of this mess #3 with several yards of gooey adhesive tape.

5. Go to CheapAsChips or somewhere, and buy the THINNEST crappiest envelopes on the market .. anything made in China and costing $1 a 100 is perfect. This will near guarantee creasing and bending in transit, and usually tearing at edges and ends.

6. Place gooey mess into #5, and post out - preferably all finally wrapped in cling wrap or something dorky, to make it even harder to open.

7. Despite years of beating my head against the wall begging folks to use decent stamps, about 5% now do. I guess that's a small improvement over 20 years back when it was 4%. :twisted:

What is it with collectors and NOT using a simple 5 x 3" stockcard?

Is it on religious grounds? Is there some Federal by-law against it somewhere?

They cost cents each and are useful to the recipient, and PROTECT the stamps!!! They can be used dozens of times and you can write detail on reverse. I must have supplied half the Western world with these things over 30 years!

And they take SECONDS to use -- not 5 wasted minutes of hog tieing your stupid bits of card down with cellotape, and cling-wrap. :twisted:

Being that large size and very thin, the cards will NOT jam in the mail sorting machines. By the time you fold up an invoice sheet into 3, and add a busness card etc, the thickness of that is a good barrier against bending.

A piece of THIN but stout card (almost size of the outer envelope) in the envelope is also wise for valuable lots -- I use a 6" x 4" printed colour "Stampboards" card for this, but an old PO stamp pack outer etc also does perfectly, and is free, and is great re-cycling. :idea:

Apart from looking hopelessly unprofessional, and making you look like a prize Beverley Hillbilly, all this nonsense takes up a TON of your time to prepare, and also take a TON of time to open, if you get several at once, and it does NOT protect the stamps.

I've had them arrive creased and crumpled by mail machines. Goo from the yukky tape oozes into the outer stamp perfs at times.

One CRETIN STAPLED all sides closed last week and there was about 2mm from staples to the stamp perfs, and being thick cardboard I could not see HOW close. Needed a medical surgeon's skill to CUT the mess apart -- I kid you not. (And THAT was a member here with a $200 stamp inside.)

I bet there are 100s folks reading this who have received stamps from me in the mail, and I guarantee there will not be ONE post re poor packaging. 8)

Having a box of black stockcards in your stamp den is quick, cheap, and sensible, and I really urge ALL members to use a little more grey matter before packaging up material to mail out.

Things like those below on my desk right now, and post out perfectly and safely. I sell them, ALL dealers sell them. :idea:

Glen

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:37:14 am 

I see Glen has giraffes

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:19:29 pm 

Funny how people think isnt it?

"I must protect the stamp at all costs" (So it sits in a little enbalming cocoon floating around inside the envelope)

When really you must protect the envelope at all costs!

There is no need for sticky tape or staples.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 13:20:04 pm 

As a frequent receiver, I second Glen's practice and recommendation.

Another effective (though premium) practice is to use CD mailers.

Separation of glassine envelopes taped to cardboard is often troubleprone, and I'm very leery of the padded envelope suggestion. I'm not sure exactly what the AP envelopes are like, but fear that, like their relative the bubble mailer, they're likely designed to bend, and therefore to crease stamps. Sufficient stiffeners inside may compensate, but they're basically counter-productive in addition to expensive. The same content would probably be safer in a cheaper envelope.

Two additional horrible ideas for stamp packaging, each of which I've received, separately and in combination, which I'd like to specifically warn against:

Bubble mailers
Corrugated cardboard

Either will raise the incidence of stamps arriving creased to well over 50%

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 14:44:54 pm 

Global Administrator wrote:
Collectors in general have an abiding fetish to tape/staple down EVERYTHING they mail to dealers, if sending a single stamp, or a set.

etc ....

This is EXACTLY the scenario that made me ask in the first place. Looks like a universal problem and not just someone who hates me.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will put some packaging instructions in my notes to eBay sellers in future. It's not being able to see the stamp when wielding the scalpel that's been my downfall. My stint with taxidermy was much easier.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 03:17:20 am 
Senior Member Advanced Stamp Board Guru

I made a little description on how I package stamps for mailing, hope it is usable.

An open discussion on how to package stamps for for mailing them.

I will start with my take on it:

1. First I take my stamp(s) and put it in to a glassine envelope. This is a scandinavian kind glassine they cost about 40 Danish kroner (5,50 Euro) for 100 envelopes.

Or sometimes I use stock cards A6 size (10,5 × 14,8 cm) with 3 strips. I buy 100 of these for 80 Danish Kroner (11 Euro)

2. Then I use 2 pieces of light cardboard 160g/m2 also in A6 size. One on the frontside and one on the backside. I buy them in Germany for 3 Euro for 100. Or sometimes I use modern postcards that I get free at the pharmacy or at a Café. If necessary I tape the glassine to one of the cardboards with two small pieces of tape, on the top and bottom. Also if necessary I tape the cardboards together, But only with a single small piece of tape on each side.

3. Then I take a Postcard sleeve, I buy these for 50 Euro for 1000 sleeves. I then take the cardboards and put inside the Postcard sleeve. Like so:

4. Then I use a single piece of tape and seal the sleeve.

5. I finish with putting the sleeve inside a cover for mailing. I use C6 (11,4 × 16,2 cm) envelopes for mailing of small items. Sometimes I use an extra piece of A4 paper folded 2 times, for extra stiffness, before I put the sleeve in the mailing envelope.

All in all, the price of packing material is about 0,20-0,30 Euro (0,28 - 0,42 A$).

I hope my guide is usable :) , what do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 00:11:24 am 

sneak .. looks very nice but why do you need to use any cellotape at all?

Stamp is protected just as well with NONE?!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 00:36:09 am 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Nobody will ever convince you, Glen, that sometimes taping the glassine to the card will be better than not.

1. If the card is the same size as the envelope then the sharp edges of the card can break through the envelope if it gets wet. It's happened to me, and some of the contents was missing.

2. If the stamp in an untaped glassine is simply placed between two untaped cards then the stamp can move within the glassine, and the glassine can move within the card. The consequence might be that the stamp ends up at the edge of the card (top bottom or side) , and slip into an unprotected area. It's happened - the stamp is not fully protected by the card and when the postman puts a band round the bundle of letters, bending the edge of the envelope, the stamp perfs also get bent.

I agree many people overuse tape: I spent many minutes unpicking some incoming postcards this morning! But a small amount of tape can be beneficial. Nothing will convince me not to use it anywhere in my packing.

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: http://www.norphil.co.uk, blog.norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site and Ian_norvic on twitter. UK delegate to the FIP Maximaphily Commission.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 00:45:27 am 

Ian, I've almost never used tape to mail a single stamp or a stamp set.

NO glassine needed when you use these cards above. Card is exact same size as stiffener which is exact same size as envelope.

End of story .. all safe as houses and takes seconds to do. Can't move

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 01:07:07 am 

GlenStephens wrote:

Ian, I've almost never used tape to mail a single stamp or a stamp set.

NO glassine needed when you use these cards above. Card is exact same size as stiffener which is exact same size as envelope.

End of story .. all safe as houses and takes seconds to do. Can't move

What brand and product number for those?

I use Lighthouse Climax 6. The size is 147 x 84mm. A c6 envelope - the standard international (non-US) size for a small envelope is 160 x 115 mm. (The standard US size is 165 x 92mm). The standard postcard-size stiffner is between the two, at 148 x 115mm.

Definitely not a case of one-size-fits-all. What works for you down there, doesn't work for everybody.

As I was reading your previous I was making up an order using one of these cards and a mix of gummed and self-adhesive stamps. I slipped the card into one of our clear-front (paper-backed) packets [used so that when the customer opens the envelope no stamps will fall out]. As an experiment I shook the packet - and I had to replace the stamps as they went all over the place - and that was new material in all cases.

The cards you use must be better than these, and a different size.

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: http://www.norphil.co.uk, blog.norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site and Ian_norvic on twitter. UK delegate to the FIP Maximaphily Commission.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 01:33:47 am 
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I use the standard Lighthouse 3 strip cards with overlay, that fit EXACTLY inside the usual C6 envelope as you can see below. Tailor made. As per the photo I used above.

I have several 1000 of these here if you want some! Every wholesaler has them - a STANDARD line. Globally.

I also use 2 x large postcards in each envelope as all members here can confirm. TOTALLY free printed full colour gloss by Vista print. I have a carton full here.

Cheap, quick, easy, and no annoying, destructive cellotape tape to be seen. Near impossible to bend with 3 thick bits of card inside, great advertising, and client gets a free useful stockcard.

Contents of card stay secure in transit. Glassines are not needed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 01:41:48 am 

Thanks. I'll have to ask MY wholesaler which Lighthouse cards are 'standard' and the same size as c6 envelopes. None of the cards I have here (of any make) match that spec.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 01:49:00 am 
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ian you can order them with or without overlay clear sheet. Biggest selling line they have.

(Card above is the 3 strip EKC6S)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 01:53:34 am 

Thanks. I have two packets of the smaller ones yet, but when I reorder....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 02:22:57 am 
BLUE Shooting Star Posting MADMAN!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting MADMAN!

Hi

I am with Glen on this issue. The less sticky tape, the better. People are influenced by their experience.

There are lots of packaged foods and industrial products that are almost impossible to get at since the packaging will resist all but your most extreme efforts to open it.

People seem to think this is a desirable form of packaging!

I often use only a glassine attached to a stiffener by a single short strip of sticky tape at the top of the glassine. The stamps are secure inside the glassine but can be reached without removing the tape, just by flipping the glassine. Simple and safe.

I have outlined the tape as it did not show on the scan.

When sending covers, I always insert them in a soft plastic sleeve and I insert a stiffener the size of the shipping enveloppe. Over many thousands of shipments, I never had a complaint about packaging.

Bubble envelopes or padded envelopes of any description are not suitable for shipping stamps or covers. They are designed to protect hard irregular objects.

Memphre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 03:01:01 am 

memphre wrote:
I often use only a glassine attached to a stiffener by a single short strip of sticky tape at the top of the glassine. The stamps are secure inside the glassine but can be reached without removing the tape, just by flipping the glassine. Simple and safe.
I have outlined the tape as it did not show on the scan.

Much the same as I do.

In case there was any doubt, I use a minimal amount of tape consistent with ensuring that the contents (covers, cards) do not move outside the packing area. When you are sending predominantly packs of (DL size) FDCs, of course, the postcard and c6 envelope are insufficient.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 06:26:13 am 
GOLD Star Super Posting Board Member

I use the corners of priority or express mail envelopes, cut to fit the size of the envelope that I'm mailing in. This makes a little "pocket" into which I place the items to be mailed (in a glassine or on a stockcard, whatever's easiest).

The priority mail envelopes can be picked up for free at the post office, and the resulting envelope is not thick enough to jam machines but is resilient enough to protect against creasing.

This is super easy and cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 06:32:26 am 

Few postal authorities are able to give away postal mailers - and with the huge deficit that the USPS is running I would think that would be one thing they will be looking to axe.

What do you do about the two open sides of your 'pocket' ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 08:14:36 am 

norvic wrote:
Few postal authorities are able to give away postal mailers - and with the huge deficit that the USPS is running I would think that would be one thing they will be looking to axe.

What do you do about the two open sides of your 'pocket' ?

I use a small bit of tape on each open side. Since it's cut to the size of the envelope anyway, there's no danger of the enclosed glassine or stockcard slipping out in any case. I prefer this method over a single stiffener since the stamps are protected on both sides.

I think that Priority Mail is one of the few profit centers for the USPS, which is why they encourage you to use it in every way possible. It's quite heavily advertised here, so I doubt they'll be doing anything to make it more difficult to use.

Acknowledgement: I didn't invent this method, I received some items from a dealer that were packaged this way and stole the idea from them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 09:13:03 am 
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

I usually put them in a stockcard and put that into a glassine, or sometimes even a ziplock/plastic bag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51:01 am 
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Follow these simple steps

1 ) Get some tissue paper (toilet roll or kitchen paper is ideal)

2 ) Put the stamps on this paper (if you have more than one stamp, just put them on top of each other). This will save space.

3 ) Tape this all together. Sellotape is ok, but brown packing tape is better, however duck tape is the best.

4 ) Find a very thin cheap envelope about 3x the size of this package. Don't use the cheapo Chinese envelopes as the quality is too good.

5 ) Don't forget to add a few biscuit crumbs into the envelope as stamp collectors are always interested in what people are eating while packing stamps. A few dog or cat hairs stuck to the duck tape (see step 3) is always welcomed as it shows the stamps come from a good home.

6 ) Get your 6-year old daughter to write a short note (using her best crayon set) saying "thanks for youre buying my stamps pleese give me goode marks on ebay - regards boB"

7 ) Seal the envelope with more duck tape, then write the address on the front of the envelope. Try writing the address using your other hand (ie left hand if you're right-handed etc).

8 ) Add the words 'dont bent' on the envelope.

9 ) Go to Post Office knowing that your package will arrive safe and sound and everybody will be happy.

Of course, there are other methods :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 21:19:50 pm 
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

bluegrass - Oh man. I think I've bought stamps from you on ebay in the past :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 21:51:45 pm 

My personal approach is:

Stamps in a stockcard (or hanger(s) if there is a larger quantity)
Stockcard in a glassine sealed with one strip of sellotape
All in a card backed envelope

It works for me and I have never had one complaint about the packing; I send, on average, 10 such letters a week ranging from a single stamp to 100's of stamps.

I do have one regular buyer in Japan who always asks to have an extra plastic bag around the glassine to protect against water just in case the envelope gets wet - I personally think that is overkill, but am happy to oblige him.

Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 22:17:34 pm 

cmj wrote:
My personal approach is:

Stamps in a stockcard (or hanger(s) if there is a larger quantity)
Stockcard in a glassine sealed with one strip of sellotape
All in a card backed envelope

It works for me and I have never had one complaint about the packing; I send, on average, 10 such letters a week ranging from a single stamp to 100's of stamps.

I do have one regular buyer in Japan who always asks to have an extra plastic bag around the glassine to protect against water just in case the envelope gets wet - I personally think that is overkill, but am happy to oblige him.

Chris.

I have one in Northern Ireland who asks me to protect from rain etc. Given that the equipment used by our post-people isn't designed to keep the mail dry, I think it is a wise precuation. When I was a rural postman I often had to leave mail in less-than-weatherproof boxes, including a tin trunk at the end of a farm track. Snails welcome; plastic bag a good idea!

Having delivered within our village and seeing the papier mache that was produced sometimes was one of the reasons I have a very expensive PO Box.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 22:24:28 pm 

There have been times in the past when I have had to transport some of the worlds rarest stamps from one collector to another.

Although packaging is vitally important,so is the transport method.

The main method I have used has been for the recent transport of the worlds only 1839 1/2d Green,to move this item we used an Iron covered vehicle and 4 bodyguards...due to safeties sake we disguised both the vehicle and the guards.

As you can tell by the photos,the vehicle is strong enough to plow through anything,and the head security guard is one bird you don't want to ever mess with !

As for normal items,I usually place them in a hagner page cut to fit,slide it into a sealable plastic bag,and then put one piece of stiff card either side that fits the envelope like a glove.