Help on value of these 3 old mint American stamps

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Elthamboy
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Help on value of these 3 old mint American stamps

Post by Elthamboy »

I recently purchased a 'mystery box' from an overseas seller on ebay. for $150. Stuck in the middle of some mint Canadian stamp blocks, glued together with age, were these three United States Stamps stamps in Hagners.

They have their catalogue numbers (I assume) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have any value. I am new to collecting and don't have any catalogues, nor can I find them on the internet.

The one marked 235 mint, is a mint stamp with gum intact but a slight hinge mark. The other two are mint but have light pencil marks on the gum don't appear to have ever been hinged.

I only collect Australia and New Zealand stamps so will probably on-sell these if they have value.

Cheers in advance for any help.

IMG_2193.jpeg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 01 Jul 2020 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members

stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Help on value of American stamps

Post by stallzer »

The 6¢ Colombian has a cat value of $55.00 so probably $15-$20 retail. The 243 & 255 both cat for the same. $325.00 unhinged, $110.00 hinged. Don't know what 255A means, probably an old Scott number. Values are from Scott specialized 2017.

The 253 & 255 if indeed are unhinged they should fetch a good portion of catalog value, both are well balanced with good color.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

Elthamboy

Re: Help on value of American stamps

Post by Elthamboy »

Thank you Stalizer,

Your assistance is much appreciated, I am still in shock.

I purchased the box because it contained a lot of Australia and New Zealand stamps, there are a few other countries as well so I had better go through them and find what else I have got.

Kind regards and stay safe in these troubling times.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 01 Jul 2020 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

AdmiralCollector
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Help on value of these 3 old mint American stamps

Post by AdmiralCollector »

If unwatermarked, these would catalog as Scott #253 and #255.

If watermarked USPS (only part of a letter usually found a single stamps), they are Scott #268 and #270. In my old Scott specialized, the watermarked varieties catalog only about 30% of the unwatermarked stamps.

Since there is a significant price difference in catalog value, it would probably be wise to double check for yourself if they are unwatermarked or watermarked.

Elthamboy

Post by Elthamboy »

Thank you AdmiralCollector,

I have checked with my little UV light and can not see any watermark, I don't want to start using lighter fluids as I am afraid of what that will do to the stamps.

Thank you for the information on the variants.

Take care

Elthamboy
Last edited by Global Administrator on 01 Jul 2020 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Elthamboy wrote:
01 Jul 2020 14:37

I have checked with my little UV light and can not see any watermark, I don't want to start using lighter fluids as I am afraid of what that will do to the stamps.

UV light does not show watermarks, especially on these.

Watermark fluid or lighter fluid DOES.

For 150 years it has not harmed stamps so not sure why it would this week on these solid colour stamps?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

kenlondon
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by kenlondon »

Global Administrator wrote:
01 Jul 2020 15:04
For 150 years it has not harmed stamps so not sure why it would this week on these solid colour stamps?
Not unless you habitually smoke whilst doing so :lol:
(Ok there's no doubt non-flammable options available).

===

When googling for stamps I tend to start by typing any unusual text that appears on a stamp, even if it is in a different language...

columbus welcomed at barcelona

gives a good answer with its top pick.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert - I am here to learn, so if anything I say is wrong, please say so!

Elthamboy

Post by Elthamboy »

Thank you Kenlondon,
I just did what you suggested with the US 6c 'Columbus welcomed at Barcelona' and found a heap of sites with valuations ranging from $11.00 to $130.00 for the stamp in mint condition. I understand the best guides are Stanley Gibbons and Scotts catalogues as they are more accurate.
My grandchildren keep telling me using the internet is easy.
Kind Regards
Elthamboy

kenlondon

Post by kenlondon »

Elthamboy wrote:
01 Jul 2020 17:55
Thank you Kenlondon,
I just did what you suggested with the US 6c 'Columbus welcomed at Barcelona' and found a heap of sites with valuations ranging from $11.00 to $130.00 for the stamp in mint condition. I understand the best guides are Stanley Gibbons and Scotts catalogues as they are more accurate.
Kind Regards
Elthamboy
Hmm, I tend to refer to Gibbons only for when trying to find a stamp. Values quoted tend to be on the optimistic side IMHO. For values, try ebay, completed sales only, which is based on what something has actually sold for in the past, rather than what the vendor thinks something is worth, but make sure you're comparing like-for-like.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert - I am here to learn, so if anything I say is wrong, please say so!

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

You've had someone that knows US stamps give an indicative price. Catalogue prices are retail price lists of Stanley Gibbons (or Scott) for stamps in excellent condition. Common stamps in average condition you are lucky to sell.

The 6¢ Colombian has a cat value of $55.00 so probably $15-$20 retail. The 243 & 255 both cat for the same. $325.00 unhinged, $110.00 hinged.

I sell on eBay and recently sold some Italian stamps (after a long time) at less than 5% of Scott catalogue. These were mint no gum with catalogue of US$2000 plus. If the others you have are mint not hinged and they are well centred then you may get 30 - 50% of the $325 quoted by Stallzer.

As suggested, look at sales prices on eBay and not listed prices. They are usually very different. I've seen the same stamps for years at high prices. They simply don't sell. If there are large numbers listed as well that will affect your sell price.

These stamps are not unique so they compete directly with other offerings. To sell you need to have a good price or the best stamps.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Elthamboy wrote:
01 Jul 2020 17:55
Thank you Kenlondon,
Kind Regards
Elthamboy

Yes you will see prices that vary. There are more than one type of mint. When describing US stamps there is mint never hinged, mint lightly hinged, mint hinged, mint heavily hinged. All of these have an impact on value. Then throw in the sellers that are asking 85% of catalog value which most will never realized unless it truly is a gem of a stamp. Yours has decent centering for this issue but isn’t a gem.

The CV I quoted was based upon your stamps being identified correctly. The Colombian is as there is no other option. As mentioned above there are watermarked issues of the baby banknotes. Also a scan of the backs of the stamps would help.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

AdmiralCollector

Post by AdmiralCollector »

Elthamboy wrote:
01 Jul 2020 14:37
Thank you AdmiralCollector,

Thank you for the information on the variants.

Take care

Elthamboy
You may be able to see the watermarks if you put the stamps face down on a black background. If not, the only other alternative is watermark fluid. These stamps are printed by line engraving (intaglio) and therefore watermark fluid will not harm them. However, you do have to be careful with stamps printed by photogravure and many modern day stamps printed by photo-lithography.

As Glen says, UV lights won't help with watermark detection.

Take care.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”