Is there a contactable philatelic bureau in East Timor?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

DRKKLP
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Is there a contactable philatelic bureau in East Timor?

Post by DRKKLP »

Does East Timor have a philatelic bureau where you can order stamps and postmarking services?

Does anyone have their web address or email contact? Thanks
Last edited by Global Administrator on 02 Aug 2020 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members, and turned it into a QUESTION of some knid

Waffle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: East Timor - Dili

Post by Waffle »

Yes it does, but, I am not sure of it's email address.Shortly after It achieved independance, Australia Post acted as it's agent and handled sets of mint stamps and the F.D.C. of E. Timor's first Issue. I got mine at the LPO in South West Rocks. The bloke there knowing that there were quite a few local members of the Kempsey Stamp Club, ordered a dozen copies of each, selling out in 2 days.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Waffle wrote:
01 Aug 2020 15:12
Yes it does, but, I am not sure of it's email address.Shortly after It achieved independance, Australia Post acted as it's agent and handled sets of mint stamps and the F.D.C. of E. Timor's first Issue. I got mine at the LPO in South West Rocks. The bloke there knowing that there were quite a few local members of the Kempsey Stamp Club, ordered a dozen copies of each, selling out in 2 days.
Yes I am aware of the fact it issues stamps etc and have seen the original and past issues. The question was how to communicate with them.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

As someone in high authority on this stampboards, has said about common sense GOOGLE it. Far from me to question his wisdom.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Waffle wrote:
01 Aug 2020 17:33
As someone in high authority on this stampboards, has said about common sense GOOGLE it. Far from me to question his wisdom.
Thanks, please send me the GOOGLE link once you find it, in your wisdom. I look forward to it.........

jkrabbenbos
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Re: Is there a philatelic bureau in East Timor

Post by jkrabbenbos »

Googling on 'east timor philatelic bureau' I found this website with some outdated information: https://digilander.libero.it/fabioalarici/t.html. Look for Timor-Leste and there is an address for the main post office. The second link does not exist anymore, the first link gives information about stamps from 2005 I think.

Using Google is not that difficult.
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MargoZ »

Searching the UPU site Timor Leste is still a member but the link to information about the status of ite postal entity has been removed.

Wikipedia gives a link to Correios de Timor Leste http://www.correios.gov.tl but this is also dead.

There is no link to a website on the official Timor Leste Government website http://timor-leste.gov.tl

There is a facebook page for Correios de Timor Leste which was still active last year
https://www.facebook.com/CORREIOS-DE-TIMOR-LESTE-138177929596910

On that FB page the address is listed as
Correios de Timor Leste – CTL Endereço: Av. Bispo de Madeiros No. 15, Kintal Ki'ik Dili - Timor Leste PO BOX 10000 Telp: +670 3331424 / 3321979 /

There is also an email link via FB so maybe worthwhile following up that way.

A bit left field but you could try the Australian embassy in Dili - accessible via their FB page :
https://www.facebook.com/AustralianEmbassyTimorLeste
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I can't find that East Timor has issued any stamps since 2016.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

bazza4338
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Post by bazza4338 »

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/international-post-guide/results/timor-leste

Australia Post advice - Restoration of postal services to Timor-Leste

The United Nations Transitional Administration in Timor-Leste is responsible for postal services. Post Offices are operating in Dili and Baucau, and the UN mission is gradually restoring other services. Mail delivery is primarily by means of collection from Post Office Boxes.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

jkrabbenbos wrote:
01 Aug 2020 18:22
Googling on 'east timor philatelic bureau' I found this website with some outdated information: https://digilander.libero.it/fabioalarici/t.html. Look for Timor-Leste and there is an address for the main post office. The second link does not exist anymore, the first link gives information about stamps from 2005 I think.

Thank you for trying but of no help. I already found that in the past and it does NOT work as you say, and the email contact on the site has nothing to do with philately.

Replies thus far think it is "easy" to find on Google but NOT ONE YET has given me the link!

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

bazza4338 wrote:
01 Aug 2020 19:09
https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/international-post-guide/results/timor-leste

Australia Post advice - Restoration of postal services to Timor-Leste

The United Nations Transitional Administration in Timor-Leste is responsible for postal services. Post Offices are operating in Dili and Baucau, and the UN mission is gradually restoring other services. Mail delivery is primarily by means of collection from Post Office Boxes.
Thanks I saw that in the past. I've done the Google searches folks myself in the past. I found nothing. Hence asking Stampboards if they know. I need a current email, or web address, to a philatelic bureau (if one exists). That is all I am asking for, not outdated information that I have already seen!

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

MargoZ wrote:
01 Aug 2020 18:55
Searching the UPU site Timor Leste is still a member but the link to information about the status of ite postal entity has been removed.

Wikipedia gives a link to Correios de Timor Leste http://www.correios.gov.tl but this is also dead.

There is no link to a website on the official Timor Leste Government website http://timor-leste.gov.tl

There is a facebook page for Correios de Timor Leste which was still active last year

Correios de Timor Leste – CTL Endereço: Av. Bispo de Madeiros No. 15, Kintal Ki'ik Dili - Timor Leste PO BOX 10000 Telp: +670 3331424 / 3321979 /

A bit left field but you could try the Australian embassy in Dili - accessible via their FB page :
Thanks I had tried Facebook in the past and used the FaceBook message service but nothing came of it a couple of weeks ago. I have the physical addresses (if they are still correct) but I was wanting electronic communication.

I also posted similar request for help with Indonesia but nothing came of it. I have written a letter to Indonesia Post to see what happens. Even contacting known philatelists in Indonesia by email, none replied!

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

I'd be trying the Australian Embassy - they might just reply to this left field request for information, and they are on the ground in Dili

Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Please try not YELLING AT MEMBERS trying to help and we don't know what you've already checked as you didn't say anything about what you already found so how the heck would we know.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Allanswood wrote:
01 Aug 2020 20:22
Please try not YELLING AT MEMBERS trying to help and we don't know what you've already checked as you didn't say anything about what you already found so how the heck would we know.
Sorry, perhaps if they were not so silly to suggest I search Google (it is 2020), yet themselves provide nothing from Google, but suggest in a response "how easy it is to find on Google", "emphasis" would not be required!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Allanswood wrote:

Exactly. Every helpful suggestion from many members was sneered at!

If he is too lazy to ask our Embassy to assist, too bad for him. A local phone for them.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Looking at the number of stamps they issued (4 in 2002, 4 in 2005, 2 in 2008, 7 in 2010 and 2 in 2015), and the scarcity and high prices at dealers, I don't think they have a philatelic bureau.

It also wouldn't be financially worth it to operate a philatelic bureau which only issues a few stamps a decade.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Stewie1980 wrote:
01 Aug 2020 20:38
Looking at the number of stamps they issued (4 in 2002, 4 in 2005, 2 in 2008, 7 in 2010 and 2 in 2015), and the scarcity and high prices at dealers, I don't think they have a philatelic bureau.

It also wouldn't be financially worth it to operate a philatelic bureau which only issues a few stamps a decade.
Thanks for that insight, most helpful.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Global Administrator wrote:
01 Aug 2020 20:35
Allanswood wrote:

Exactly. Every helpful suggestion from many members was sneered at!

If he is too lazy to ask our Embassy to assist, too bad for him. A local phone for them.
I guess the one-eyed monster is back who shoots from the hip and does not read threads in context.

Perhaps if I had professional replies that were not smug from the only two members I shouted at (by your standard, I call it emphasis so now I use “ “ instead), then I would not have had to reply to those two members as I did.

"Smart" replies that I responded to with a little dismay (only two):

Post by Waffle » 01 Aug 2020, 16:33

Ouch – he shouted at me in his reply (can I see you smack him please), besides being smug about using Google). I used the exact same GOOGLE in my reply – if you call that shouting, he shouted first!!!!

Post by jkrabbenbos » 01 Aug 2020, 17:22
Googling on 'east timor philatelic bureau' I found this website

Well, if Google “is not that difficult” seems everyone is having the same difficulty I had, when searching Google before asking Members if they could help! No need to be condescending in a reply.

I trust that you send messages to these two posters to suggest they don't be so smug in their answers to a question, and perhaps a bit more courtesy and professionalism would go a long way.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 12:56
Does East Timor have a philatelic bureau where you can order stamps and postmarking services? Does anyone have their web address or email contact? Thanks
As seen in this quote from the original post, our arrogant indignant member selectively neglected to mention what led to this post. Absolutely bereft of any background information. Only after several posts is the truth revealed.

Why not provide the entire history/information in the initial post so members can properly assist? Dribbling or leaking information in subsequent posts is poor management. Unless your motive was to drag out this thread for all it was worth?
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Kainnikanada wrote:
02 Aug 2020 02:43
DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 12:56
Does East Timor have a philatelic bureau where you can order stamps and postmarking services? Does anyone have their web address or email contact? Thanks
As seen in this quote from the original post, our arrogant indignant member selectively neglected to mention what led to this post. Absolutely bereft of any background information. Only after several posts is the truth revealed.

Why not provide the entire history/information in the initial post so members can properly assist? Dribbling or leaking information in subsequent posts is poor management. Unless your motive was to drag out this thread for all it was worth?
Exactly correct. I "specifically" asked for a web address or email contact "for the Philatelic Bureau", not a witch hunt of Google searches that lead no where (which I had done weeks earlier)! Either give the answer to the question, or don't answer, or answer stating none can be found.

And particularly don't use smug comments suggesting that any fool can surely find what they are looking for on Google, it "is easy". Some members did nicely with a reply, and I thank them. Two are too smart for all of us so are on the wrong foolish platform.

Like the person who offers me mint stamps when I ask for "covers only" on a wants list for a certain issue! How much clearer does one need to be?

GraniteSA
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by GraniteSA »

Try the Timor-Leste embassy in Canberra for an address
Cheers
Neville

Collector of Southern Fleurieu Peninsula postmarks and postcards etc.

jkrabbenbos

Post by jkrabbenbos »

DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 18:07
Waffle wrote:
Thanks, please send me the GOOGLE link once you find it, in your wisdom. I look forward to it.........
I have to apologise that I misunderstood our OP. Reading this message I came to the wrong conclusion that you did not know how to use Google. That might be caused by me not being a native English speaker.
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

jkrabbenbos wrote:
02 Aug 2020 20:11
DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 18:07
Waffle wrote:
I have to apologise that I misunderstood our OP. Reading this message I came to the wrong conclusion that you did not know how to use Google. That might be caused by me not being a native English speaker.

That is all fine, thank you for posting. Moderators need to but out and meddle less in communication is actually a greater issue! Personally I did not see "GOOGLE" (intentionally upper case to reflect this post thread only) as shouting at me, but others on my behalf would deem it so. That is socialism and the problem with the Western world today!

People need to be strong in their opinions and convictions (whatever side) and not have one side shout down the other and enforce "their" rule or moral superiority on others. Notice I say "enforce" = make them do so.

This is different to expression of opinions and morals of difference - you can choose to accept or reject what others say, but you should not have the right to silence them or scare them into acceptance of some other dogma..

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

DRKKLP wrote:
02 Aug 2020 21:12
Moderators need to butt out and meddle less in communication

No.

Volunteer Moderators are here to enforce our CLEAR and common sense rules.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

You really should read them. Twice. FAST. Or you will earn a posting holiday for the next outburst you make.

When you start up your own Bulletin Board, you can set your own Utopian rules, declaring anything goes, and of course that board will end in anarchy, and last for 2 weeks. And vanish forever, as all such rump boards ALWAYS do.

We have been here for 13.5 years, and have 6.5 million posts. Join up the dots.

Your question was answered several times, and you continually berated all those who tried to assist.

You are the one with the issue, not anyone above. Barging about like a bull in a China Shop abusing all who assisted and tried to assist, will simply ensure no-one bothers in future.

To refresh your memory -

= = = =

By joining up as a member, and/or posting to a thread on stampboards.com, YOU fully agree to abide by our rules outlined above.

99.99% of members will never need to read or worry about the preceding rules. Problems over our 13+.5 year existence have been VERY few, given the 22,000+ members we now have globally.

However, we do like having a formal framework in place, for all members to be aware of, that governs their posting here.

The same way all busy roads have a few speeding motorists risking a demerit point or two, and breaking Road Rules, we will have a few folks now and again who WILL need to read this Rules section VERY carefully. The moderators and Admin reserve the right to act on ANY matter with no notice, but the synopsis above covers the most likely reasons you may hear from us.

Thank You,

The Administrator and the Volunteer Moderator Team.

REMEMBER ALWAYS - Posting to stampboards.com is a privilege, NOT a right.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 20:15
MargoZ wrote:
01 Aug 2020 18:55

Thanks I had tried Facebook in the past and used the FaceBook message service but nothing came of it a couple of weeks ago. I have the physical addresses (if they are still correct) but I was wanting electronic communication.

I also posted similar request for help with Indonesia but nothing came of it. I have written a letter to Indonesia Post to see what happens. Even contacting known philatelists in Indonesia by email, none replied!
I wouldn't expect any help from any Indonesians on this one, in view of their recent history.

I gather you are au fait with google, but you may not be quite as conversant with wikipedia, so I include this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_occupation_of_East_Timor

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”