KGV and Kangaroo Australian stamps

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Artbook10
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

KGV and Kangaroo Australian stamps

Post by Artbook10 »

My name is Allison and I inherited stamps from a friend of my sons and who has since passed,and i was going through his stamps . I live in Brisbane Australia and i came across the Australian Album and there is from George v Issues 1913 - 1936

1931-1936 2 Stamps on there own in album with C of A watermark 11 - 13 1/2 x 12 1/2 Perf and watermark it is upside down (is this INVERTED)

I was reading your notes on watermarks and i think this is one of them. Is this worth $

Also i have Australian 1913 Blue kangaroo 1 shilling stamp it also has a extra line down the left side of crown watermark
Cancelled stamp IPSWICH 20/

Can you help me as i am new to this .I have attached a picture for you to view.
Attachments
KGV
KGV
Watermark Upside down
Watermark Upside down

stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: KGV and Kangaroo Australian stamps

Post by stallzer »

Moderator comment.

Welcome Allison. We ask that all new members make their first post in our roll call section and introduce themselves to the community. Please make your next post there and tell us a bit about yourself.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10277

Not sure if anyone can help with that blurry picture of the back of the stamp. Good job inserting images but a clearer scan would help us help you.

Mod hat off.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Hi Allison

Collectors here are happy to answer questions with good clear pictures. You are going to have to be very lucky indeed to find a rare watermark variant. (But it has happened before).

If there is a dealer near you, or next time there is a stamp and coin show nearby, it would be worthwhile showing the album to a dealer for a free appraisal. They can quickly leaf through and tell you what the collection is worth in a ballpark way. As a very general rule, a collection has to have money spent on it to be worth money.

Artbook10 wrote:1931-1936 2 Stamps on there own in album with C of A watermark 11 - 13 1/2 x 12 1/2 Perf and watermark it is upside down (is this INVERTED)

I was reading your notes on watermarks and i think this is one of them. Is this worth $

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but the 2d Red KGV watermark inverted is quite a common variety (unfortunately, sorry) worth a couple of dollars: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australia-KGV-2d-red-CofA-invert ... 4334889202

Artbook10 wrote: Also i have Australian 1913 Blue kangaroo 1 shilling stamp it also has a extra line down the left side of crown watermark

This is the watermark line from the sheet edges which is sometimes visible. This is quite common and normal.

All the best

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

Artbook10 wrote:
17 Sep 2020 10:38

1931-1936 2 Stamps on there own in album with C of A watermark 11 - 13 1/2 x 12 1/2 Perf and watermark it is upside down (is this INVERTED)

This is a stamp from a Booklet pane and 50% of these stamps in Booklets had inverted watermarks due to the way they were printed. It is very common.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”