Indian CDS Cancel - Help Appreciated

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Bill.Simpson
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Indian CDS Cancel - Help Appreciated

Post by Bill.Simpson »

Hi - Wondering if anyone can help - I sell on a couple of websites and I've started taking a bigger interest in cancels - and I've come across this one on an India 2 Annas

Nothing really unusual except I can find nothing on "Vullitota" - only 6 references on Google and none of them about a town or village - Any Ideas?? :?:

Cheers In Advance

Bill

doug2222usa
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: Indian CDS Cancel - Help Apperciated

Post by doug2222usa »

One of those Google references pertains directly to an Indian bank (excerpt):

Banks in Rajahmundry
Corporation Bank
Vullitota street

//edit - I happened to think of one of India's eminently sensible customs; often a street name means that the street GOES to that place, so I envisioned Vullitota as an obscure suburb of Rajahmundry that perhaps no longer exists, or was subsumed by the larger city.

I also checked http://www.placesnamed.com and nothing shown.

Bill.Simpson

Post by Bill.Simpson »

doug2222usa wrote:One of those Google references pertains directly to an Indian bank (excerpt):

Banks in Rajahmundry
Corporation Bank
Vullitota street

//edit - I happened to think of one of India's eminently sensible customs; often a street name means that the street GOES to that place, so I envisioned Vullitota as an obscure suburb of Rajahmundry that perhaps no longer exists, or was subsumed by the larger city.

I also checked http://www.placesnamed.com and nothing shown.
Hi Doug I saw that reference - and It's pretty standard in Glasgow as well that the road would go to the village/town etc - but nothing else appears - and with it having a bank it should be slightly bigger than just a one street place?

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

bill.simpson wrote: Hi - Wondering if anyone can help

Nothing really unusual except I can find nothing on "Vullitota" - only 6 references on Google and none of them about a town or village - Any Ideas?? :?:
Cheers In Advance
Bill
Vullitota is a village located at 17.002015°N 81.769812°E at the outskirts of the city of Rajamahendravaram in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh in India.

Joy Daschaudhuri

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

bill.simpson wrote: Image
Vullitota Sub Post Office functioned under Rajamahendravaram Head Post Office which also acted as the Disbursing Office for the former.

The complete cds had the district name Rajamahendravaram in Anglicized form inscribed inside the lower annular part which is not struck here on the stamp.

This very cds with hour type was introduced in 1910 to selected HPOs/SPOs in India.

Generally, all HPOs and selected SPOs had 5 mail dispatches in a day and this Vullitota cds dt. September 28,1940, struck at 4 p.m. indicates the 3rd dispatch.

doug2222usa
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by doug2222usa »

"...so I envisioned Vullitota as an obscure suburb of Rajahmundry that perhaps no longer exists, or was subsumed by the larger city..."

I was right, but Joy was righter. :lol:

Bill.Simpson

Post by Bill.Simpson »

Thanks to all of you for your input. I knew this was the right place to ask for help!

Cheers

Bill

axr15
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Indian CDS Cancel - Help Appreciated

Post by axr15 »

In the cover below (an item in the Stampbay auction of Oct 2020), it seems to me that the 6a stamp doesn’t quite belong on this cover because part of the duplex cancel and the forwarder’s mark do not straddle both stamps. Number “1” part of the duplex on the 6a stamp is the number for Madras. Perhaps additional clues could be discerned from the dates of the cancels. It was posted in 1866 (date unclear to me) and arrived in London on January 11, 1867.

I would be interested in hearing from the experts here what think of this cover and cancel.

SG66_cover_Stampbay_Oct2020 (front).jpg
SG66_cover_Stampbay_Oct2020 (back).jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

What was standard letter rate to UK then?

The 8A looks original to me and maybe the larger stamp than has been glued on later?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

axr15

Post by axr15 »

Global Administrator wrote:
19 Oct 2020 09:20
What was standard letter rate to UK then?

The 8A looks original to me and maybe the larger stamp than has been glued on later?
The rate for ½ oz from India to United Kingdom via Marseilles was 6a 8p from 1 June 1863 to 1 April 1968, which is the rate used on this cover. The 6a stamp is genuine. However, this stamp on a good cover is worth (in my opinion) about 10 times the price of the stamp. Therefore, there is an incentive for someone to create philatelic fakes.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”