Why are the perforation holes different on the same side?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Historama.com
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Why are the perforation holes different on the same side?

Post by Historama.com »

On this vertical pair of Mandate 20m stamps, if you look at the shared horizontal perforation you'll notice certain holes are larger than others, particularly towards the right side - but there is no pattern.

If this is supposed to be 13.25 gauge, why would the hole sizes vary? I thought the holes remain the same size throughout the perforation -?

...as usual, my upright images are appearing here horizontally...

Alex

Attachments
IMG_0782.JPG
NEW: Israel, Mandate & Holy Land philatelic sale now on at Jerusalem Stamps - ending 19 Jan 07:00 AEDT. Get our free Handbook of Holyland Postal History!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Why are the perforation holes different on the same perforation?

Post by Global Administrator »

Replaced perf pins here and there most likely.

Slightly different gauge.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Historama.com

Post by Historama.com »

Thank you!
It’s been driving me crazy: various sources give 13.25 or 13.5 as the gauge - and the truth is, neither really matches. Now I know why...
NEW: Israel, Mandate & Holy Land philatelic sale now on at Jerusalem Stamps - ending 19 Jan 07:00 AEDT. Get our free Handbook of Holyland Postal History!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

"Knowledge Is Power" :mrgreen:

This kind of thing was absolutely normal looking on many printings from Victoria, circa 1900. Uneven and ugly looking perfs were often the norm there. :mrgreen:

Depending on the gauge, you get sharp pointed tips and blunter ones, but as we can see both were often badly aligned, even on 1 side.

Victoria of course printed the WA stamps in this era, and similar ugly perf spacing is VERY normal -

This above too probably looks to the untrained observer like an "amateur reperf" but it also is 100% perfectly genuine.

You can even see large and small perf pins in use along 1 side of each stamp of this WA block 4!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

pelmen
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Why are the perforation holes different on the same side?

Post by pelmen »

My take is that the pair in question was weakened at the post office and when affixed to the envelope were lined up. The "large" holes are oblong, not round as Glen's fantasy would create.

Likewise at the left end of that row the holes are smaller and have marks across the middle of the paper joins.

I would guess if you gently felt those you will notice a "lumping" where the paper is doubled over and if you soaked them I would expect them to separate.

Was that issue as a single the typical postage rate at the time? The stamp may have been folded to prepare to separate from the source sheet, weakening it.

If you hold up to light I would also expect the attached paper between the large holes to be lighter than the surrounding paper and at the left end of that row to be darker.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 04 Dec 2020 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”