Help with Dromoderry Postal Strike 1971

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

omar.carrillo
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Help with Dromoderry Postal Strike 1971

Post by omar.carrillo »

Hi!

A friend of mine have this cover with this sticker about Postal Strike February 1971 for 5p from Pays de Calais.
Dromoderry.JPG
I couldnt found info about this, Can someone help me out about who made this, how it works,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

omar.

peterh
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Help with Dromoderry Postal Strike 1971

Post by peterh »

This was a private post service set up due to the first full national strike in the history of the British Post Office, which took place from Wednesday 20th January to Sunday 7th March 1971.

The strike took place against a background of increasing inflation and worsening industrial relations over the preceding decade, both in the Post Office and in the country in general.

On 15th January a pay offer from the Post Office Board was rejected by the executive of the Union of Post Office Workers. An "all-out" strike was called to start at midnight on 19th/20th January.

The Government announced that the Post Office's monopoly on carrying letters would be suspended for the duration of the strike.

There were numerous private postal services set up, and I believe the Dromoderry post was based in London.

Many of the items in existence were produced purely for collectors, but many also did provide a genuine service

I'm guessing the cover is addressed to the UK - it would be helpful to see the whole cover.

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Hi,

Clive Smith published a series of handbooks under the title British Private Posts 1680-1980 and by chance I have volume 5: 1971 Postal Strike Posts - Posts beginning with Letters "D" to "EM" :)

I see from our library index that he reached letter Z in volume 13.

Dromoderry was a film company based in St James Place, London.

This was one of the bigger strike post operations with around 200,000 items carried.

During the strike they accepted letters for overseas destinations, carried them to France (or occasionally to the Netherlands) and posted them.

Mail from abroad could be brought to the UK if sent to the company's poste restante address in Calais.

The deliveries to Calais were made using the hovercraft from Ramsgate. :)

The handbook has a lot more information about this particular service spread over 23 A4 pages.
Nigel

omar.carrillo

Post by omar.carrillo »

Thank you very much Nigel and Peter your info help me a lot.

Here is the complete cover on both sides.
Dromoderry3.JPG
Dromoderry2.JPG
What do you think?

Cheers

Omar

faro
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by faro »

omar.carrillo wrote:
09 Apr 2021 04:05
Thank you very much Nigel and Peter your info help me a lot.

Here is the complete cover on both sides.

What do you think?

Cheers

Omar
There are many philatelic covers around but that's a good commercial one, Omar. 8-)
Always hunting on eBay for such!

Unlike most other operators where stamps to the actual value of the fee charged are used, in this particular case the amount charged would have been 5 pence plus the French postal rate to West Berlin.

In this case they positioned their own stamp well to ensure it would be tied by the French postmark; earlier in the strike was much more haphazard.

The sender using a Calais address on the back was to facilitate any replies (customer number 310), but that would've been a bit of a rush before the end of the strike.

omar.carrillo

Post by omar.carrillo »

Thank very much Faro.

I have a similar one for the Postal Strike 1971 but with stamps from Pabay.
PabayFish-1971StrikePost.JPG
with this also i have no idea about anything even where's pabay.

Please give a hand with this also

Thanks in advance.

faro

Post by faro »

omar.carrillo wrote:
09 Apr 2021 05:21
I have a similar one for the Postal Strike 1971 but with stamps from Pabay.

with this also i have no idea about anything even where's pabay.

Please give a hand with this also

Thanks in advance.
And here we go diving straight back into the philatelic!
Handstamped addresses are usually a warning sign but that's not necessarily a "bad" thing as the 1971 Postal Strike was an opportunity for all sorts of people and businesses, which is all part of the "history".

Not "from Pabay" (island in the NW of Scotland), nor did the original stamps see much use in this case, but overprinted by Allan Grant (Rushstamps) ostensibly for overseas use.
Their own "inland letter service" - with boring square shaped/framed stamps - was well used commercially. Their overseas service using "Emergency Strike Post" overprints such as those very much less so...

I can't see any of the various errors in the overprint, so that's 2,000 of each of those values issued. Of which a high percentage were sent on covers to a single address then returned for sale in the UK. ;)

Now for the embarrassing, hypothetical bit - put those two covers up for sale and there's a good chance the philatelic cover, of which there are hundreds, might sell for more. Because it's "pretty" or whatever reason!

Neither is "big money" but it's still a strange state of affairs...
Similar:
pabay71.JPG

RevRed+
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by RevRed+ »

Hello faro. I'm rather puzzled by your comments -

"Now for the embarrassing, hypothetical bit - put those two covers up for sale and there's a good chance the philatelic cover, of which there are hundreds, might sell for more. Because it's "pretty" or whatever reason!

Neither is "big money" but it's still a strange state of affairs..."

Why on earth would it be embarrassing? Embarrassing to who?

I'm aware that some collectors have a bee in their bonnet about "Philatelic" versus "Commercial" covers. But, unless one is entering a competition what's the difference? Or, maybe if one is selling a cover, the "Commercial" cover may possibly be worth more. But other than that, and particularly for those who collect for enjoyment, rather than commercial gain, why differentiate at all?

I feel collectors have been constrained and cajoled into collecting in a set way, rather than collecting whatever takes their fancy. Your reference to "pretty" is part of that, in my opinion. It is a pejorative description and rather unbecoming.

Fine, it's clear you don't like those kind of covers, and of course, there is nothing wrong with that, each to their own and all that, but why belittle someone who does like them!
Red.

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I'll take both. 8-)
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Night Watchman
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Night Watchman »

I tried and failed to buy this GB 1971 Postal Strike cover. It realised AU$2,134.
It is a philatelic cover!

See details at the following link on Stamp Boards:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=7173557#p7173557
Noel Almeida, Night Watchman, Australia Down Under.
Author: Overseas Mailers of New York FDCs of Australia.
Author: Australian Post Office Souvenir Covers.
Author: Test Cricket Centenary 1977 Philatelic Covers.

faro

Post by faro »

Night Watchman wrote:
09 Apr 2021 10:05
I tried and failed to buy this GB 1971 Postal Strike cover. It realised AU$2,134.
It is a philatelic cover!

See details at the following link on Stamp Boards:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=7173557#p7173557
The previous cover went for around £75, IIRC; the mint stamps sold for less. I should have a snapshots somewhere of those auction results but couldn't find them off-hand.
Not only is that cover philatelic, it wasn't even issued during the strike... and cricket wasn't even mentioned in the auction description, as I mentioned to the seller. ;)

There's still money in the 1971 Strike posts but that's definitely trumped by anything rare with a cricket theme that doesn't fly under the radar!

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”