Spain, 40c dark blue 1931 Personalities set, possible error?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Gaspare
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Spain, 40c dark blue 1931 Personalities set, possible error?

Post by Gaspare »

Spain, Error?
(Translation with google)
Hello everyone! is it a misprint? Is there a specific catalog number for this stamp? Always if it is a mistake? Thank you all!
Attachments
Error?
Error?
SPAGNA ERRORE2.jpg
SPAGNA ERRORE4.jpg

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Spain, Error?

Post by fromdownunder »

The stamp has been perforated badly, as were a lot of Spanish stamps of this era, so the printer name appears above the design rather than below. Stamps of this type are errors which are somewhat of a curiosity, but not all that valuable.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Gaspare

Post by Gaspare »

fromdownunder wrote:
14 May 2021 07:28
The stamp has been perforated badly, as were a lot of Spanish stamps of this era, so the printer name appears above the design rather than below. Stamps of this type are errors which are somewhat of a curiosity, but not all that valuable.

Norm
Thanks for your kindness!

Gaspare

Post by Gaspare »

fromdownunder wrote:
14 May 2021 07:28

Norm
Sorry, what does this sentence below mean? (Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain)
That a person who is not competent in a matter is stupid? Me, I am a former aerospace engineer and quantum physicist! Doesn't this mean that everyone who doesn't know quantum physics or aerospace engineering is stupid !? The Gods in the year 2021?
Attachments
FireShot Capture 3232 - Spain, Error_ - Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Forum - www.stampboards.com.png

Bennich
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Bennich »

Ciao Gaspare,

You probably need a better title. 40c dark blue 1931 Spanish Personalities set, possible error?

A little bit of research and you will find this is the 40c stamp of a 1931 set of 'famous personalities', Emilio Castelar being a Spanish republican politician, and president of the First Spanish Republic.

Like many stamps of the time, they weren't always aligned (perforated) accurately, so the small print you are asking about is usually found at the bottom of the stamp but has been misplaced to the top.

It is the name of the engraver/printer, La Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre (the national manufacturer of money and stamps), in other words, the Spanish National Mint. It appears on all these stamps and is quite normal.

So I'm afraid this is not an exciting stamp and, as over a million were printed, almost worthless. HOWEVER - if your stamp had a control number on the back, it would catalogue near the €8 mark.

Keep hunting!

Cheers, Ben

Gaspare

Post by Gaspare »

Bennich wrote:
14 May 2021 08:05
Ciao Gaspare,

You probably need a better title. 40c dark blue 1931 Spanish Personalities set, possible error?

A little bit of research and you will find this is the 40c stamp of a 1931 set of 'famous personalities', Emilio Castelar being a Spanish republican politician, and president of the First Spanish Republic.

Like many stamps of the time, they weren't always aligned (perforated) accurately, so the small print you are asking about is usually found at the bottom of the stamp but has been misplaced to the top.

It is the name of the engraver/printer, La Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre (the national manufacturer of money and stamps), in other words, the Spanish National Mint. It appears on all these stamps and is quite normal.

So I'm afraid this is not an exciting stamp and, as over a million were printed, almost worthless. HOWEVER - if your stamp had a control number on the back, it would catalogue near the €8 mark.

Keep hunting!

Cheers, Ben
Thanks so much Ben! You gave me a detailed encyclopedia explanation! Thank you so much! Gaspar

RevRed+
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by RevRed+ »

Gaspare, some points.

You need to use the "Place Inline" button to insert images in your posts. Otherwise you end up with an ugly white border around the images and the word "ATTACHMENTS" at the top.

Practice here - "Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards"

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770

Always use the "Preview" button first to make sure your post is correct, before clicking on "Submit".

Any word or comments below a line at the bottom of a post, have been added by the poster and appear on all his/her posts. It was not a comment on anything you had posted!!

You can add a signature there too. See the bottom of my post.
Red.

Gaspare

Post by Gaspare »

RevRed+ wrote:
14 May 2021 09:02

Gaspare, some points.

You need to use the "Place Inline" button to insert images in your posts. Otherwise you end up with an ugly white border around the images and the word "ATTACHMENTS" at the top.

Practice here - "Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards"

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770

Always use the "Preview" button first to make sure your post is correct, before clicking on "Submit".

Any word or comments below a line at the bottom of a post, have been added by the poster and appear on all his/her posts. It was not a comment on anything you had posted!!

You can add a signature there too. See the bottom of my post.
Ok thanks, I'll do some practice there

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Gaspare wrote:
14 May 2021 08:01
Sorry, what does this sentence below mean? (Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain)
It is a phrase that inspired Isaac Asimov to create what in my mind, was his greatest novel (The Gods Themselves) which he wrote in 1972. I was tossing up using a quote from him, Robert A. Heinlein, or John Wyndham, my three top Science Fiction Novelists, to include as my permanent signature. If you check, you will find that many members have a signature which automatically adds to all their posts.

That is mine and is in all 36,272 of my posts and has nothing to do with you. It is my tribute to the late Dr. Asimov.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

fromdownunder wrote:
14 May 2021 10:01
Gaspare wrote:
It is a phrase that inspired Isaac Asimov to create what in my mind, was his greatest novel (The Gods Themselves) which he wrote in 1972. I was tossing up a quote from him, Robert A. Heinlein, or John Wyndham, my three top Science Fiction Novelists, to include a quote as my permanent signature. If you check, you will find that nearly every member has a signature.

That is mine and is in all 36,272 of my posts and has nothing to do with you. It is my tribute to Dr. Asimov.

Norm
I really enjoyed The Gods Themselves. :) I've not read it for years and must find it.

I'm also a fan of his Foundation Trilogy and many more.

The quote is from a play, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, by Friedrich Schiller, his take on the Joan of Arc story.

The original German words were:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
Nigel

Gaspare

Post by Gaspare »

fromdownunder wrote:
Gaspare wrote:
It is a phrase that inspired Isaac Asimov to create what in my mind, was his greatest novel (The Gods Themselves) which he wrote in 1972. I was tossing up using a quote from him, Robert A. Heinlein, or John Wyndham, my three top Science Fiction Novelists, to include as my permanent signature. If you check, you will find that many members have a signature which automatically adds to all their posts.

That is mine and is in all 36,272 of my posts and has nothing to do with you. It is my tribute to the late Dr. Asimov.

Norm
I didn't know it was your signature! no problem! Kind Regards Gaspare

Gaspare

Post by Gaspare »

fromdownunder wrote:
Gaspare wrote:

Norm
I didn't know it was your signature! no problem! Kind Regards Gaspare

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”