Flaws on Aust Kangaroo stamps? Help from the experts please!

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Derbyboi2
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Flaws on Aust Kangaroo stamps? Help from the experts please!

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:
30 May 2021 08:12

The right unit definitely is a sub-cliche. The substitution is 2R33 showing the correct break in the shading lines under the left hand corners of both the E and the P of Pence. The break under the P in particular is definitive.

Well done Tony! Answered in 1 sentence what it took me too long posts to explain!

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Unfortunately the NWPI panes will not help with identifying the Substituted cliche positions themselves but may help with the adjoining units which were not substituted. The substitutions were effected in 1927. The last third watermark delivery of the Die 2b 9d was the 14th July 1922.

Finding all 8 panes of 30 from plates 3 and 4 will prove difficult but not impossible. Hopefully Pampstamp's pair is from one of the 4 unidentified substitutions as it is undoubtedly Die 2 not Die 2b.

langtounlad

Post by langtounlad »

Image.

Global Administrator wrote:
30 May 2021 00:09
Have other experts agreed it is a 9d Roo Die11 substitution in pair with Die11B?
Glen

You have a very good sense for things that do not seem right!!!

It is a pity that the contributors following you had not looked as closely at this cover or they might have noticed it is contrived or a fraudulent use of a used stamp. The stamp on the right appears to be a substituted cliche derived from 2R33 except that it is missing a couple of features I expected to see on a CofA substituted cliche.

The identifying features suggest it could be only be one of 4L10B or 4R7B. You can immediately rule out 4R7B as it is a left marginal stamp and could not have anything but a margin to the left.

BUT to the left of 4L10B should be 4L9B which is also a substituted cliche derived from 2R32. The stamp on the left is a Die2B and not a substituted cliche.

Now look at the top right corner of the cover and you will see a bad crease which passes under the stamp without affecting the corner of the stamp - possible but unlikely in my view. Note that the distance between the stamps reduces - the supposedly joined perf holes reduce in size and shape as well. And the joins between the stamps have a rubbed over look to cover the fact that the joins are actually overlaps.

And there is a second cancellation on the right hand stamp which looks as if it has been treated with chemicals to remove it.

I have never claimed to be an expert but in my view it is possible that the stamp on the right could be a third watermark 2R33. Unfortunately Pampstamp has not bothered to identify the watermarks for us.

The only other possible explanation is that the sender has tried to reuse an old third watermark with a die 2B.

Even if the details of my suspicions are not correct it is not possible for this to be a joined pair.

Pampstamp needs to identify the watermarks for us to proceed with this.

Regards
Frank

Pampstamp
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Pampstamp »

langtounlad wrote:
30 May 2021 19:20
Image.

30 May 2021 00:09
Have other experts agreed it is a 9d Roo Die11 substitution in pair with Die11B?
Glen

You have a very good sense for things that do not seem right!!!

It is a pity that the contributors following you had not looked as closely at this cover or they might have noticed it is contrived or a fraudulent use of a used stamp. The stamp on the right appears to be a substituted cliche derived from 2R33 except that it is missing a couple of features I expected to see on a CofA substituted cliche.

The identifying features suggest it could be only be one of 4L10B or 4R7B. You can immediately rule out 4R7B as it is a left marginal stamp and could not have anything but a margin to the left.

BUT to the left of 4L10B should be 4L9B which is also a substituted cliche derived from 2R32. The stamp on the left is a Die2B and not a substituted cliche.

Now look at the top right corner of the cover and you will see a bad crease which passes under the stamp without affecting the corner of the stamp - possible but unlikely in my view. Note that the distance between the stamps reduces - the supposedly joined perf holes reduce in size and shape as well. And the joins between the stamps have a rubbed over look to cover the fact that the joins are actually overlaps.

And there is a second cancellation on the right hand stamp which looks as if it has been treated with chemicals to remove it.

I have never claimed to be an expert but in my view it is possible that the stamp on the right could be a third watermark 2R33. Unfortunately Pampstamp has not bothered to identify the watermarks for us.

The only other possible explanation is that the sender has tried to reuse an old third watermark with a die 2B.

Even if the details of my suspicions are not correct it is not possible for this to be a joined pair.

Pampstamp needs to identify the watermarks for us to proceed with this.

Regards
Frank
WOW - I am speechless!!! :roll: :roll:

As I mentioned from my initial post if you bothered to read it, I stated the Roos are both C of A.
I have used a very bright torch to again confirm it.

I have tried to crop images of the disputed areas for others to decide.

All I wanted was a value of this cover. I am NOT interested in your conspiracy theories !
WHO would bother to do this 84 yrs ago :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

How do you explain the postmark on both stamps? Look at the date? 37?

I can tell you now after close inspection it is a joined pair :D

cover9d b.jpg
cover9d c.jpg
cover9d d.jpg
cover9d e.jpg

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

I’ve had a good look at the perfs. between both units. FWIW there are definite separations from the bottom of the joined pair upwards approx. three or four perfs. The join then seems to be creased and at the top the perfs. appear to be joined.

I think the pair was partly separated but still properly affixed to the cover. The cancels appear to prove that so I don’t see anything to prove it is a confection.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

rsellens
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by rsellens »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:
30 May 2021 21:16
I’ve had a good look at the perfs. between both units. FWIW there are definite separations from the bottom of the joined pair upwards approx. three or four perfs. The join then seems to be creased and at the top the perfs. appear to be joined.

I think the pair was partly separated but still properly affixed to the cover. The cancels appear to prove that so I don’t see anything to prove it is a confection.
These were my thoughts also. I left it to Pampstamp to reply though as he is the only one with eyes on the actual cover.

Ross

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Like Lakatoi I have copied and blown up the image. I agree with both Pampstamp and Lakatoi, and as Glen would put it, perhaps not so tactfully 'read the full thread before commenting'. Don't worry I have been hauled over the coals myself for this.

It is obviously a substituted cliche in an unidentified position. It is Die 2, not Die 2b and is C of A watermark. QED.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Finally to quote from BW (not the 2021 edition which I await with interest) at p 2/107

'The records indicate that as many as 12 substitutions may have been made, but at present only 8 have been identified'.........'It is likely that more will be discovered in future'.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
31 May 2021 00:40
Finally to quote from BW (not the 2021 edition which I await with interest) at p 2/107

'The records indicate that as many as 12 substitutions may have been made, but at present only 8 have been identified'.........'It is likely that more will be discovered in future'.

Same wording in the quite absurd A4 outer size new edition.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Glen

I am not sure what to expect from the A4 edition. I find the 2017 easy to handle and navigate especially when you are at the computer or studying stamps. I will reserve judgment until it arrives next week!

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
31 May 2021 05:32
Glen

I am not sure what to expect from the A4 edition. I find the 2017 easy to handle and navigate especially when you are at the computer or studying stamps. I will reserve judgment until it arrives next week!
Interesting. I find exactly the opposite. I find both the kangaroo and KGV catalogues hard to handle and navigate. Also the overall quality I think is not that great. I use both frequently and after only a short period of usage the covers began delaminating and the catalogues started to fall apart. I am considering getting loose leaf versions from Michael Eastick if he does them for this catalogue and the next KGV one.

Ross

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

I am not a fan of loose leaf catalogues. Although I don’t use it that much, my BW Postal Stationery catalogue (2013 edition) though the contents are excellent, can’t exactly be flicked through quickly. I understand there’s a new version which is not loose leaf and I would get that but as I only use it occasionally for reference, I’ll stick with what I have.

Delamination of BW catalogues has been going on for years and is a bit of a pain but only really if you want it to look good which I couldn’t give a flying fig about.

I use the BW Roo’s, KGV, KGVI, QEII, Postage Dues and Decimals 1 a lot and pages coming out isn’t an issue I’ve had with them. My SG China 2011 edition on the other hand had a section of pages come adrift and I didn’t use it very often. It must be the way it’s bound as the Commonwealth & Brit. Empire catalogues are all fine (and I’ve used each edition a lot over the years).

My 2008 AAMC catalogue on the other hand has been used repeatedly and extensively. When the pages started to come apart I carefully took them all out, put each in good quality plastic sleeves then put them all in a binder which works well. I’ve had some input into the new AAMC and can’t wait for that to come out but the virus and other things have delayed it.
Tony

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Hard cover is a no-brainer as it will add only 10% to retail cost, IF they bother to ask their printer. $130 for 2nd grade rubbish appearance, versus $140 - $145 for a quality end product will not bother anyone in this market.

If all those here apparently ordering direct off BW (WHY, is anyone's guess, when the host of this FREE to you board sells the same product, and ipso facto, then makes a modest buck to fund the $10,000s p.a. these days to run stampboards) asks them for the price for HARD COVER, the penny might permeate their slow thinking noncommercial skulls in here after a few enquires!

I've asked them 3 times to get quotes on that, and said I’ll place a large order to get those done, even if no-one else wants them, and that hive of inertia in there has not bothered yet, as it involves a phone call to the printer - heaven forbid. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spiro bound is far smarter than A4. The new A4 one I have been trying to use for a week, and it is just impossible.

My old one is falling apart, but it DOES work well on a desk! I use mine several times a day.

I showed this wreck below to Geoff here 3 weeks back, and pointed out they produced a HARD cover Roo ACSC cat for Australia 2013. He'd forgotten. I bought most of those, as they as usual told no-one they had made them. :shock:

Glen

P1050952.JPG
P1050953.JPG
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Speaking of BW, I’m waiting for them to resurrect and update “The Early Federal Period” that was Section 1 of their 1993 to 2004 catalogues with Roo’s as Section 2.

Most people wouldn’t realise The Early Federal Period was TRIPLE the number of pages compared to the Roo’s section and contained a wealth of detailed knowledge not found in SG.

Make it a separate catalogue and while not currently as popular as the Roo’s and later stamp issues, their popularity will grow once collectors have a good reference catalogue with current pricing.

The drawback of course will be updating the pricing and adding new discoveries which would require a ton of work, but the basics are already there.
Tony

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes, there is a not a vestige of a commercial clue in there at BW. Sad but true. A lot of knowledge, but zero marketing skills.

They have all the images and art already done and sitting there right now on the database. Near zero cost to issue a new edition. It will sell a DARN sight more copies than the recent BOOKLETS or POSTAGE DUES!!!!!

I get $150 a copy for these “The Early Federal Period” ACSC volumes whenever I secure them, as demand remains strong for it after 17 years, simply as BW have been too lazy to reprint it. And MANY still seek it. :shock:

A day fiddling at the edges, and all up to date - the years of scholastic hard yards and research, and numbers printed etc, are all done already.

I just sold these WA pairs today for $800 BECAUSE they are listed and priced at $1,200 in that book. :!: :!: :!:

Like HUNDREDS of similar things, it is the ONLY priced listing. ACSC is hurting the hobby by not having this info out there readily. And hurting their bank balance.

Glen

Capture.JPG
May21-WA 1905 Swans imperf pairs.jpg

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
30 May 2021 23:27
Like Lakatoi I have copied and blown up the image. I agree with both Pampstamp and Lakatoi, and as Glen would put it, perhaps not so tactfully 'read the full thread before commenting'. Don't worry I have been hauled over the coals myself for this.

It is obviously a substituted cliche in an unidentified position. It is Die 2, not Die 2b and is C of A watermark. QED.
So there you have it – NO one can give me an answer on value!! :roll:

At least, some members can confirm it’s kosher. :D

Some even think it doesn’t even exist, yet here it is!!
Maybe we can ask Elvis? Or Scully?
A bogus cover from 1937 with a 3rd wmk & CofA combo lol with a CV of $360 haha :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I have been advised that its worth a few bob.

Gee I miss Rod Perry!! :(

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Pampstamp

I would venture two comments

1. Get a certificate
2. Do you want to sell it or keep it?

If you want to keep it get it valued by someone who is close the Australia Kangaroo market. It is doubly scarce because it is in a pair and there is the possibility it can be plated and I doubt whether there is another on cover. The proviso is that I have several unlisted or unpriced NWPI items with certificates and unless there is a market it is next to impossible to get a price from a dealer or auctioneer even for insurance purposes.

I sold the discovery copy of a Zululand QV double overprint at auction late last year (which SG had actually put a value on 5a) which went for more than the catalogue value put on it. SG had put £1000 in the catalogue and subsequent to the auction said that in the 2022 edition this would be increased by x 2.5. This is always the problem with unlisted major varieties i.e that until there is a market you don't know the price. This is true for any discovery copy like yours.

Currently the 9d C of A on cover has a multiple of x 6 [at] $A60. The sub cliche in pair with Die 2 has a value of x 50 the normal [at] $A500. Extrapolating that the cover would be valued at $A3,000. Dealers or collectors would not necessarily pay anything like that for a C of A 9d on cover, sub cliche or not.

Further there would be a deep discount because the sub cliche stamp is affected by an ink stain over the kangaroo - I would think you would be looking at $A1000 tops on a good day in a private sale, less at auction.

I am here to be shot down but at least I stick my neck out!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

It will need an RPSV cert before it is regarded as anything but an interesting "maybe" curio.

That is how the stamp business works. Amateur Owner's descriptions carry little weight at Auction. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Glen

I couldn't agree more. This was the first point I made in my post.

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
01 Jun 2021 03:24
Pampstamp

I would venture two comments

1. Get a certificate
2. Do you want to sell it or keep it?

If you want to keep it get it valued by someone who is close the Australia Kangaroo market. It is doubly scarce because it is in a pair and there is the possibility it can be plated and I doubt whether there is another on cover. The proviso is that I have several unlisted or unpriced NWPI items with certificates and unless there is a market it is next to impossible to get a price from a dealer or auctioneer even for insurance purposes.

I sold the discovery copy of a Zululand QV double overprint at auction late last year (which SG had actually put a value on 5a) which went for more than the catalogue value put on it. SG had put £1000 in the catalogue and subsequent to the auction said that in the 2022 edition this would be increased by x 2.5. This is always the problem with unlisted major varieties i.e that until there is a market you don't know the price. This is true for any discovery copy like yours.

Currently the 9d C of A on cover has a multiple of x 6 (at) $A60. The sub cliche in pair with Die 2 has a value of x 50 the normal (at) $A500. Extrapolating that the cover would be valued at $A3,000. Dealers or collectors would not necessarily pay anything like that for a C of A 9d on cover, sub cliche or not.

Further there would be a deep discount because the sub cliche stamp is affected by an ink stain over the kangaroo - I would think you would be looking at $A1000 tops on a good day in a private sale, less at auction.

I am here to be shot down but at least I stick my neck out!
Thanks for sticking your neck out Derbyboi! :D

I am keeping the cover!

Show me another like it anywhere :D

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

01 Jun 2021 03:33
It will need an RPSV cert before it is regarded as anything but an interesting "maybe" curio.

That is how the stamp business works. Amateur Owner's descriptions carry little weight at Auction. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahhh Derrrr

Amateur or professional collectors, or seasoned dealers descriptions mean jack!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, IF, I wanted to go down that track I WOULD get a cert :roll: :roll:

Just tell me if you have had another one like it? 8-)

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Pampstamp,

If it were mine I would definitely get a cert. before I ever contemplated selling it.

Prior to selling seven high cat. value missing colour decimal stamps a number of years ago including two in a strip of five that were unique mint, I sent them to the RPSV and received clear certs. Without those there was no way I could have sold any of them. An extreme example I know but certs. can be very useful.

If at some stage you went down the track of selling this cover, think about joining the RPSV. They offer one free cert. per member each year and the regular journal they send out to members is full of information to suit all collector interests.
Tony

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:
01 Jun 2021 12:12
Pampstamp,

If it were mine I would definitely get a cert. before I ever contemplated selling it.

Prior to selling seven high cat. value missing colour decimal stamps a number of years ago including two in a strip of five that were unique mint, I sent them to the RPSV and received clear certs. Without those there was no way I could have sold any of them. An extreme example I know but certs. can be very useful.

If at some stage you went down the track of selling this cover, think about joining the RPSV. They offer one free cert. per member each year and the regular journal they send out to members is full of information to suit all collector interests.
Thanks for the heads up on the RPSV. I have used Chris Ceremuga in the past for my Kangaroos and feel comfortable using him and he is also based in Sydney!

But not a bad idea to join the RPSV if not just for the journal !

Cheers :D

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Pampstamp

If you did want to sell it I know someone who would snap it up in an instant :D

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
01 Jun 2021 22:00
Pampstamp

If you did want to sell it I know someone who would snap it up in an instant :D
Funny that!! That"s the third proposition :D

Nah not for sale. I will get a cert in due course (not that it needs it if you have good eyes)!

A unique item for my Roo cover collection. :D

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Pampstamp

I knew you didn't want to sell it. If it were mine I would hang on to it for dear life. Years ago I disposed of material that I bitterly regret and they are now irreplaceable. My thinking then was that 'another one will come along'. I remember having the discovery copy of the New Guinea 3d OS undated birds, overprint double one albino. Certain that I would see or be able to find another I sold it. I have never seen another at auction or in any other collection. It is the only 1925-1939 New Guinea unit that is not in my collection and I don't think I will ever see another. At least it went back to Australia!

I now have a relatively large number of unique NWPI OS covers and stamps none of which I would dispose of if my life depended on it.

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 22:25
Pampstamp

I knew you didn't want to sell it. If it were mine I would hang on to it for dear life. Years ago I disposed of material that I bitterly regret and they are now irreplaceable. My thinking then was that 'another one will come along'. I remember having the discovery copy of the New Guinea 3d OS undated birds, overprint double one albino. Certain that I would see or be able to find another I sold it. I have never seen another at auction or in any other collection. It is the only 1925-1939 New Guinea unit that is not in my collection and I don't think I will ever see another. At least it went back to Australia!

I now have a relatively large number of unique NWPI OS covers and stamps none of which I would dispose of if my life depended on it.
Derbyboi

Astute advice for all amateur collectors!! :D

I am quickly learning that these sort of items separate the average collections!!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Pampstamp wrote:
01 Jun 2021 10:07

Amateur or professional collectors, or seasoned dealers descriptions mean jack!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are partially correct. :!:

Summo

Post by Summo »

Hi all, wondering if this could be a kiss print or partial double print. Looks to be a second ring to the right of the value circle, inking within the words of value, particularly “pence” and the right frame level with words of value is thickened/blurred. Any assistance appreciated. Regards Summo.
Postmark is Stock Exchange Melb. Vic. 15th May, 1913. with private perfin VO Co.
8327DDBA-2335-46C1-8BA6-BE2FF709081E.jpeg
DBC8E804-04A0-459A-9693-27CF26954FF2.jpeg

PhilipAdams
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by PhilipAdams »

Summo,

Thanks for posting the image. Kiss prints on the first watermark 3d are listed in the ACSC (ACSC 12cb). The listing has a footnote - "Kiss prints affecting the map, kangaroo and right frame are known both mint and used. Approximately ten examples are recorded".

What appears to be a good, clear example was posted by Josto a few years ago:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12224&p=6206144&hilit=kiss+print#p6206144

Philip

Summo

Post by Summo »

Thanks Phillip. Apologies about the clarity of the photo. Had a look at Josto's example. Its a lot more extensive and clearer. If the CV is even part of what was advised in that post its been a nice find for me. Regards, Summo.

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Here is one that looked like a scuff mark!!

On closer inspection IDK ?? NO foreign matter or scuff marks :D

Anyone else had anything similar ?
1d scuff.jpg
1d scuffa.jpg

PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

Pampstamp,

A printing/ink problem and not constant.

I have many 1d reds with similar printing irregularities. They can occur anywhere on the printed surface.

Philip

Tod.Moore
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Tod.Moore »

Thanks to PampStamp and Philip for the discussion of inking irregularities. This is a case in point, a 6d. First Watermark which I wanted - very badly - to be the substituted cliché. But the ink in the crucial area is too patchy to reveal the truth! Back to the drawing board. :roll:

Australia 1913 Kangaroo stamp. First Watermark. 6d. Ultramarine.
Australia 1913 Kangaroo stamp. First Watermark. 6d. Ultramarine.

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Here is another contender for the Die1 / Die11!! :D

It seems to be a long-shot but some opinions if any.
1d di dii.jpg
1d di dii a.jpg

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Pampstamp wrote:
21 Jun 2021 21:21

Yes it is a Die I/Die II pair.
The left hand stamp has the secondary characteristics of the and die II and die IIa states.
Break in first line above N of ONE.
Break in first line below the left upright of N of ONE.

Ross

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

rsellens wrote:
21 Jun 2021 21:50
Pampstamp wrote:
21 Jun 2021 21:21

Yes it is a Die I/Die II pair.
The left hand stamp has the secondary characteristics of the and die II and die IIa states.
Break in first line above N of ONE.
Break in first line below the left upright of N of ONE.

Ross
Thanks Ross, marvelous!! :D

No pricing in ACSC, any idea on CV?

Cant imagine many of these survived ;)

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Pampstamp wrote:
21 Jun 2021 22:15
rsellens wrote:

Have a read of this article by Glen Stephens last year. Towards the end of the section on the 1d roo it refers to a die die I/die II pair selling at auction for $10,000.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https:/ ... 4279647545

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

rsellens wrote:
21 Jun 2021 23:55
Pampstamp wrote:
21 Jun 2021 22:15
rsellens wrote:

Have a read of this article by Glen Stephens last year. Towards the end of the section on the 1d roo it refers to a die die I/die II pair selling at auction for $10,000.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https:/ ... 4279647545

OMG, wow :D :D

Made my week!!!

NO way I would have thought that, maybe a couple of hundred dollars at most :oops:

I have many sets of doubles, triples. I will be going through them all again extremely carefully!

Cheers

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Pampstamp wrote:
22 Jun 2021 00:41

I have many sets of doubles, triples. I will be going through them all again extremely carefully!

Cheers
So will I. Good luck! 😁🍾😁🍾

PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

Pampstamp, any watermark lines on the back?

Philip

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

PhilipAdams wrote:
22 Jun 2021 22:13
Pampstamp, any watermark lines on the back?

Philip
Sure Philip :D
1d di dii back.jpg

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

I bought a little bag of Kangaroos at a recent club auction for under $10 in the hope there may be some minor varieties in there. I don't collect them, but it was something to do on the train.

When I checked the ½d Kangaroos the first one I checked was this. I know what it is: Rostage Flaw with Weak Entry over US retouched.

I have plenty of others on ½d and 1d values with shading/frame breaks etc. Would you like them posted if they may be of use in the Wiki?

½d Kangaroo ROSTAGE Flaw
½d Kangaroo ROSTAGE Flaw

My question relates to this one a 6d Blue Third Watermark.

The area to the right of the last E of PENCE appears to be retouched. (Pity about the missing corner)

6d Blue Kangaroo Retouch?

Here are a couple of others....................

Kangaroo Flaws 2
Kangaroo Flaws 2

Kangaroo Flaws 2
Kangaroo Flaws 2
Top Frame, Colour flaws, small spur inside left frame.

Kangaroo Flaws 2
Kangaroo Flaws 2
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

traralgon3844,

Good to see your new found interest!

As for the stamps shown on your post:

(a) ½d Green with Rostage flaw with the weakness above US of AUSTRALIA has always intrigued me. Why retouch the initial weak frame and leave the large scratch untouched?

(b) The bottom corner of the 6d blue is often over-inked as in your example. This is neither the "Defective E" or the "Retouched E".

(c) The RH 1d Red stamp is a nice example of the constant flaw on plate G, R48. Identified in the ACSC as 4(G)n.

(d) ½d Green with its coloured flaws looks platable, but I can't find another example that would allow plating.

As for your offer to post other examples to help with Wiki collections - yes please!

Post images to the following and I'll process them and send them off into Wiki-land.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=92004&start=100

Philip

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Thanks for that Philip I will get posting on Sunday night when I get back from Melbourne.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

PhilipAdams wrote:
23 Jun 2021 17:45
traralgon3844,

Good to see your new found interest!

(d) ½d Green with its coloured flaws looks platable, but I can't find another example that would allow plating.

Philip
Philip,

It looks like the second state of 1R6 with some extra damage near the top frame. Possible scuff marks?

1R6.jpg

1R6

(a) Oval coloured flaw between 3 lines if shading adjacent to the NSW coast and the end of the kangaroo's tail.
(b)Notch in upper frame above US of AUSTRALIA.

traralgon3844,
Does it have any watermark lines?

Ross

PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

Ross,

You might be right, though its less than 100 per cent convincing.

It is probably closer to Pope's description than my tatty example

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=661709#p661709

Philip

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I am on a train at Nar Nar Goon at the moment but I happen to have it with me.

There is a horizontal watermark line across the top, so I presume from the top of the sheet.

I have given it a rub and the top frame dent is a single dent without the other 'damage '.

Does the long colour flaw off Cooktown help.

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

traralgon3844 wrote:
23 Jun 2021 19:29
I am on a train at Nar Nar Goon at the moment but I happen to have it with me.

There is a horizontal watermark line across the top, so I presume from the top of the sheet.

I have given it a rub and the top frame dent is a single dent without the other 'damage '.

Does the long colour flaw off Cooktown help.
The colour flaw off Cooktown is not listed by Pope as a constant variety. The top watermark line is certainly suggestive that this is 1R6. There are no other top row cliches described by Pope with similar flaws.

Ross

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

When I was responding to posters queries on this thread I insisted a scan of the reverse be posted as well. The reverse tells half the story.

Do collectors not look at the back of the stamp for the valuable info it might provide t.g. watermark lines etc..?

Go not ignore the back.
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”