'What scanner do I buy to get good results on this board'???

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

DJCMH
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Scanning stamps - best brand to buy and any tech tips?

Post by DJCMH »

vikingeck wrote:MY wife has an Apple computer and an Epson Scanner-printer .

Recent attempts to produce 6 pages of PDF documents for entry to Singapore, for some reason produced an enormous 60 MB file and proved impossible to download & send.

3 abortive attempts, several hours wasted and blood pressure rising.( we deduce operational incompatibility rather than operator incompetence-----she is usually much better than I am)

So using my PC + CANON LIDE. I scanned the 6 docs as a single 6page PDF in a couple of minutes . attached the 3.9 MB PDF to an email and job done no sweat!

Canon is the way to go!

I find I am limited to 600DPI for regular general use on stamps but can be squeezed to 1200DPI using driver.

I have a Canon Lide 120 coming from Amazon tomorrow. Only cost me about US$60 with shipping.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

Hard to go wrong with Canon scanners - occasionally the need for updating the driver - get your drivers from the Canon website for the newest ones.

I think I am on my third or fourth model now.
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

Nick777VVV
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Optimum Settings for the Canon Lide 220

Post by Nick777VVV »

So on the strength of all these accolades for the Lide series, I've swapped out my old Epson for a new Canon 220.

These are the setting options:

Resolution dpi is an easy one to play around with but have experienced users got any tips as to which settings give the greatest clarity?
http://www.classiclatinamerica.com
News, commentary and opinion on Central & South American philately

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Everyone will have their own favoured settings I am sure, but these are mine. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

blackrom

Post by blackrom »

For me personally I scan at 1200dpi and save as a .tiff file without any adjustments/corrections made during the scanning process.

I then have a raw file that I can manipulate in photoshop and export as a .jpg after fine tuning the image sharpness, colour, image size, etc for use on the web.

Others will have other techniques they use that suits them.

emason
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by emason »

Rog wrote:Hard to go wrong with Canon scanners - occasionally the need for updating the driver - get your drivers from the Canon website for the newest ones.

I think I am on my third or fourth model now.
I am still using the same Canoscan model I bought about ten years ago. It scans up to 2400dpi, which is good enough for all my needs, and I have no reason to change it. (Sod's Law says it go u/s tonight!)

Just curious Rog, but why have you had so many?
Best wishes,
Bill

Rog

Post by Rog »

Hmm, let's see.

First one was an Lide 110 or maybe a 100 from my sister. I guess that was over ten years ago now. Then after some time I went to Windows 7 I think and could not get it to work, so bought the 120 and gave the old one to Mum & Dad.

Wanting extra speed and a newer model after some years I went to the 210. This worked for a good length of time but then I had a problem where the scan would crash part way through quite regularly.

Since I had the 210 a while I thought I would just replace it so I bought the 220 - which again was faster and had higher resolution too I think.

Turned out I had the same crashing with the 220 on Windows 10. Then I remember finding a new driver released from Canon and once that was in place everything worked fine. This is why I mention to be aware of new drivers.

The 210 would probably still work now they have the newer driver, but the 220 is really quick and I like that so I have stuck with it.

emason

Post by emason »

Thanks Rog.
I have used the same driver supplied with the scanner throughout its life. But I am still using it with the 12 year old Dell (Windows XP) to which it was originally connected. I think I have now had my money's worth out of both. :)
Best wishes,
Bill

Rog

Post by Rog »

That's a good life for a piece of hardware - you certainly have got your money's worth.

The silver lining to upgrading is that they have each got progressively faster, so I am happy.

It's a good job that these aren't as expensive as some hardware - which is nice considering how useful they are.

armybrat
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Best scanner for stamps

Post by armybrat »

Wanting to get an opinion on what scanner is best for stamps?

Rog

Re: Best scanner for stamps

Post by Rog »

I've used the Canon Lide series for a few years now.

I'm using an LiDE220 myself.

gugusg

Re: 'What scanner do I buy to get good results on this board

Post by gugusg »

Anyone know how to scan at more than 600ppp with a canonscan LIDE120 ? :mrgreen:

edit : found it :)
My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/

MPSStampCollect
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by MPSStampCollect »

I just received the Epson V19 scanner that I bought refurbished directly from Epson for US$50. Hardware- and specification-wise, its identical to the slightly more expensive V39; the difference being it has fewer applications bundled with it. That doesn't really matter because I already have Photoshop. It can scan to 4800dpi but that's more than is usually necessary. I chose it over the similar Canons because of price and having a completely removable cover vs. the expandable but fixed cover of the Canons. Here is my first scan, 600dpi uncorrected with a guess at the settings; it is soft on the lower left because I was using a oversized piece of thick black cardboard that was not making full contact.

It does take a long time to do a full page prescan. Would anyone know a way to restrict the prescan to a limited area?
- Michael

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Prescan at 100 dpi first then change the dpi higher when you highlight the area you want?
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

MPSStampCollect

Post by MPSStampCollect »

Allanswood wrote:Prescan at 100 dpi first then change the dpi higher when you highlight the area you want?
Thanks, Allanswood. I'll try that. I also should take the time to read the manual. I'm one of those guys that if something works at all I am satisfied. :)
- Michael

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Kind of related question - does anyone have experience with hand-held/portable scanners. Not so much for use with scanning stamps themselves but for scanning things like articles or out of print reference works and catalogues?

Been looking at a few on amazon but there are so many choices and opinions it's mind-boggling. Though this one did catch my eye :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I438LWS
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

tikithindi
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by tikithindi »

Hi Glen,

I checked here at Amazon site in USA. Canon Lide now is model 220
(Canon Lide 220)

will this do ok ?

Khalak

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

All model Canon Lide scanners work well for stamps, members here have reported, as can be readily seen above.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

DJCMH wrote:Kind of related question - does anyone have experience with hand-held/portable scanners.
Let me save you some money. I tried this route. The battery life of these is ridiculously short - I even spent $20 on supposedly high quality lithium rechargables, because regular batteries drain too fast in these silly tech machines.

At 300dpi, the scans look awful. At the recommended 600dpi, the images look great, but the batteries empty at around twenty pages.

It's all too easy to screw up the scanning speed, because you're using your hand to set the speed. The scans stretch and compress as you speed up and slow down, which is lousy when you're scanning stamps. You'll end up with warped images, no matter how hard you try.

I got lucky and sold mine soon after buying it, and wasn't too far out of pocket.

As an aside; I recently bought an A3 scanner (Epson WF-7610) for under $200, which scans everything except for the largest full sheets AP produces. It's not my #1 scanner (the V370 which is CCD with high vertical depth is my workhorse) but it's beautiful for full sheets and really large covers.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

If I'm out and about I would just use a half decent digital camera on macro. Even the Library lets me take a photo without using flash. Quick cheap and good quality.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

tikithindi wrote:Hi Glen,

I checked here at Amazon site in USA. Canon Lide now is model 220
(Canon Lide 220)

will this do ok ?

Khalak
I just purchased the Canon canoscan lide 220, couldn't be happier. $70 delivered to my door through amazon, went from a big clunky 3 in 1 HP monster to the Lide 220 and the difference is night and day. Highly recommended.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Thanks all for the info on the handhelds.

drkohler

Post by drkohler »

Just fyi, years ago, I replaced my (really old) Canon scanner with a "One-size-fits-all" Canon MG5450 printer and the built-in scanner quality is clearly inferior compared to the old dedicated scanner.

tikithindi

Post by tikithindi »

Yesterday I received delivery of Canon Lide 220. Made Custom scan as Glen mentioned.Tested image of a used stamp. it turn out like this is it ok ?
Though I worry that I posted image here instead at image testing page.
I hope I will be forgiven...Please.

Thanks
tikithindi

ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

drkohler wrote:Just fyi, years ago, I replaced my (really old) Canon scanner with a "One-size-fits-all" Canon MG5450 printer and the built-in scanner quality is clearly inferior compared to the old dedicated scanner.
I think I've covered this before, but almost every All-In-One printers (print/scan/copy) use cheap CIS scanners, which have no depth of field. This mean anything that isn't 1mm from the glass is blurry.

You have to invest in a CCD scanner. On the surface, it's not easy to shop for one, as most stores won't list which type of scanner is CCD. But there isn't a lot of difference in price, so long as you stick to an A4 scanner.

My workhorse is an Epson V370, which I nabbed during a 20% off sale from Officeworks through ebay, which cost around $150. This will scan hagners, varios, PNCs, anything you throw at it, and there is zero blur. Great colour reproduction, fast speed, and it doesn't take up a lot of space, and you can trust every scan without looking over it.

I recently bought an Epson WF-7610, after Michael Eastick tipped us off here about A3 scanners. It cost less than $200, and has a CIS scanner atop, which is almost full A3 size; perfect for sheets and large covers. If you had the same scanner, but A3 and CCD, you would have to add a zero to the pricetag.

This may be disputed and unpopular here, but I wouldn't for a second recommend using CIS for reference grade scans. Looking at how many ebay sellers use a cheap digital camera instead of a scanner, I suppose the bar is set fairly low. :roll:

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

I have binned my 13 year old scanner and need a new one. I want one which I can copy scans to my laptop without having to plug one into the other.

Price is not relevant unless you start talking many $100s.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Norm for $A100 or so, you simply cannot beat the Canon Lide series that near all members here use for stamp scans.

bazza4338
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Post by bazza4338 »

He is chasing up a wireless scanner and the Canon above is the only one I could find of that brand.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Those two scanners look like feed through ones - like a fax machine - do you want to put your stamps through that ?

I think a flatbed scanner would be better.

CHzug1291
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by CHzug1291 »

I use a LIDE Scanner since I am a member here.
The first few years I had a LIDE 110 and always used the ArcSoft®Studio 6 Software with great results.
I updated recently to a LIDE 220 with Windows 10.
It seems, that Arc Soft has difficulties to communicate with Windows 10 and is not working to the full capacity eg: Unable to get the Advanced Functions, change of resolution, Zoom etc......

What program are you Guys using with your LIDE?

Help....help please!

Peter

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I don't use it as I have commercial software but many recommend GIMP.

https://www.gimp.org/

It's free.

(This could almost be a thread on its own : "What image software do you use?") Which I think it may be?

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

I have the 220 as well. I don’t use 3rd party software, only the Canon scan utility that is supplied. Does fine.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

Global Administrator wrote:Everyone will have their own favoured settings I am sure, but these are mine. :)
How can I activate the Zoom function?
When I click on zoom.....nothing happens....?

Thank you for your help!

Peter

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Change YOUR Output Resolution from 150 to the 800 as clearly shown on mine to get larger size images.

That is WHY we do photo tutorials so (some!) folks can READ them!

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

CHzug1291 wrote:
What program are you Guys using with your LIDE?

Help....help please!

Peter
Hi Peter,

I have used the Picture Manager in Microsoft Office for years. It's basic but is does pretty well everything I need (cropping and rotating images, image enhancement, etc.) when using my Canon LIDE scanner.

I usually do 600dpi for scans and 1200dpi when I need more definition. Although not shown in the range on my LIDE model you can push it to 4800dpi or even I think to 9600dpi if you want (but I've never have the need to do that as it does take more time to scan).
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

tikithindi

Comaprision , Epson v330 V/S Canon Lide 220

Post by tikithindi »

Hi,
Does anybody has experience with Canon Lide 220 and Epson V330 Scanner.
I have both also I have Maxima MX870 also. I tried Lide 220 but I did not see Pixel Preferences.
Where other three I could adjust Pixel. Some for Detail examination I scan high resolution.

Cheers
tikithindi

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Comaprision , Epson v330 V/S Canon Lide 220

tikithindi wrote: I tried Lide 220 but I did not see Pixel Preferences.
You cannot have looked too hard. You can go as high as several 1000 pixels.

tikithindi

Post by tikithindi »

Hi Glen,
Thank you very much for answering my question. You are right I have not worked
that much with Lide 220. I will try and see it. It is very light weight and fits on computer table
very nicely to work.
Thanks again Glen, appreciate very much.

Cheers
tikithindi

Clive
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Clive »

I'm slightly surprised this question keeps being thrown up.

The answer, as the Boss has written repeatedly, and for him exercising great patience, is Canon Lide, any model number top scan stamps and covers.

You can scan in thousands of dpi, although anything over 600dpi is probably more than needed. A dream to use, no external power source other than your computer is necessary.

And, to get more pixels, open the box that says 'use scanner driver'. Gives a whole bunch of other options, too.

Clive

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Timely bump for this thread as I see lots of appalling scans being posted using Hillbilly era fuzzy, blurry scans asking for ID on flaws and Dies etc. :mrgreen:

PLEASE spend $100 or so and upgrade your Museum Pieces into a Canon Lide! Everyone can then readily load images of this clarity.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

In Canon Lide 210, in Advance Mode, you can produce an ultra-high quality scan of 9600dpi by typing that number into the drop-down box that normally ends with 1200dpi.

You can also scan at 2400dpi our 4800dpi - again by typing that number into the box.

You will need to reduce the Input Image size to something around 10mm x 10mm to get under the maximum 100Mb output size.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rog wrote:I've used the Canon Lide series for a few years now.

I'm using an LiDE220 myself.
Good choice. :mrgreen:

I bought one for upstairs office a course a couple months back, and then turned that into a bedroom so do not need that and will keep using the Canon Lide 700E.

Anyone local who wants a cheap LIDE220, new in box, message me. :)

Glen

Rog

Post by Rog »

Yes it's a good range. I moved home recently and wanted to reduce the clutter so bought an HP multi-function printer. It does as good a job as the Canon, but now I only have one thing taking up space on my side desk.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Until recently my perfectly adequate scans were made on an Epson RX500 3-in-1 (it also scanned slides). Since that died I am using the only other one in the house which is the Epson Stylus SX235W, which has been producing some very good pics as well.

Whilst the Canon is the preferred scanner for many, there are wireless set-ups that don't need to plug into your computer but do need a power source - as most printer/scanners do. The important thing is to use anything other than 'basic' mode which will usually scan the whole A4 page with no options - some eBay sellers try this with predictable results.

On the Epson/Mac interface it is simply a matter of clicking on the 'Show details' button at the foot of the window; this gives all the options:
Colour or B&W
Resolution
unit of measurement (pixels, cm, in)
Angle of rotation - enter in or drag the box round the stamp/cover. No need for perfect accuracy placing the item on the flatbed, and no post-scanning processing, just make the box the right size and turn it until it is in the right place.
Auto-selection - leave this off unless scanning multiple stamps that you want to scan singly
Destination
File name
Format - jpeg, png, bmp etc

Image correction - these advanced settings can be useful for bringing out postmarks or turning down the colour saturation to make a postmark clearer. And they can all be adjusted back.

All makers will have their own variation of this set up. Epson originally used Twain on Windows and older set-ups may still use it. I found it invaluable for over 10 years.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

RobRoyH

CanoScan LiDE 400 - Out-of-Box Experience

Post by RobRoyH »

The "Quid Pro Quo" principal of discretionary spending is in operation at our household, so when my lovely and charming wife decided she needed a new sewing machine, I of course ordered a new scanner.

Ordered yesterday... delivered by Amazon today!

My old scanner died only after years of service and half a dozen operating system upgrades on my laptop. I believe that Windows 10 was the last straw for it and it is now in the big recycle paradise where all old electronic devices eventually go.

I opted to go with a newer model of the same... specifically a CanoScan LiDE 400.

Here it is all unpacked.

The most involved step in getting it up was clearing a good spot for it in my office... here it is tucked between and behind my monitor and my laptop.
Being an old hand, I knew to search for and remove all the protective tape and plastic strips AND to unlock the scanner head as per the handy quick install guide.

Download and install of software was a matter of only a few minutes... the install prompted me to connect the USB cable to the scanner and it launched the "CanUScan" utility automatically.
I tested all the options in this high-level interface.... tested all the front panel buttons... mostly if you want to create PDFs or go straight to a printer... and decided I would probably spend all my time in the more advanced Interface, "Scan Gear"...

This lets me perform one preview scan of a stock page full of stamps and then conduct as many detail scans as I want just by drawing selection frames around the target for each scan.

I have complete control over file destination, type and resolution up to 1200dpi.
Higher resolution is supposed to be possible, but only needed for flyspeck hunting and it looks like I'll have to crack open a manual to get there.

Here are some detail scans at 1200dpi, under the "photo" setting... resized down of course for posting on the board.

Belgian Revenue - note how clear the gray security pattern shows up!

Belgium Cinderella - Dog Magazine Promotional Seal

Bermuda 1946 Christmas Seal

Canada Customs Revenue

I obviously still have a lot more to learn about it, but certainly a nice easy to use product and very suitable for all scanning needs of most collectors and Stampboard members.

AND under 90 $USD next day delivery included.... now I have to figure out how much more that sewing machine actually cost. :lol: :lol:
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Ballaratgold4
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: CanoScan LiDE 400 - Out-of-Box Experience

Post by Ballaratgold4 »

I have a LiDE 200 and have for some years. I find it a most reliable unit, and when I need an upgrade will certainly consider this one.
Thanks for all this information.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

RobRoyH wrote:
I have complete control over file destination, type and resolution up to 1200dpi.

Higher resolution is supposed to be possible, but only needed for flyspeck hunting and it looks like I'll have to crack open a manual to get there.
All the past 5 or 10 years of Canon Lide models let you readily get to near 10,000 dpi if you need it, for this kind of detail (simple input needed see posts above) - and I OFTEN do need detail here - this was about 2500 dpi -
Image .. Image
2c Green stamp at actual size!

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

RobRoyH wrote: I have complete control over file destination, type and resolution up to 1200dpi.
Go to the highlighted box that currently reads "1200 DPI" and TYPE in the box either "2400 or 4800 or 9600" DPI.

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

bazza4338 wrote:
RobRoyH wrote:
Go to the highlighted box that currently reads "1200 DPI" and TYPE in the box either "2400 or 4800 or 9600" DPI.

Thanks bazza4338! I am sure I will still have to RTFM, (read the FINE manual), eventually.

In any case, I was up and making better images than my wife’s multi-function printer could manage very quickly.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”