Anyone seen this flaw on East India QV 1 Anna?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

john_udt
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Anyone seen this flaw on East India QV 1 Anna?

Post by john_udt »

Dear Friends,

I was scanning stamps for putting in my blog ; I just found this unusual QV stamp that looked to me as a printing error behind the head. Not sure if you have see such Error ?

Looking to know more about it ...

Thanks,

Regards,

John

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Anyone seen this flaw on East India QV 1 Anna?

Post by Global Administrator »

Little "hickeys" like this are not so uncommon - I listed up a striking "Shotgun" flaw to Queen's head. And a smaller one on throat. :)

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12717
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Hi Sheriff ,

First let me Thank you for letting me know that you had seen such error from NZ & having it posted it here for all of us. The prefs looks to me very un-usual !

I have not seen or heard about any such kind of misprint Errors on the East India atleast !
Would like to here from fellow collectors who are experts on India / East India who could have see such kind of Errors in there collections or study .My be some dealers who could have seen such errors in their daily day to day business.

I have many stamps in my stock book that I plan to load it on to my blog .
This will help me to get hold of all the missing stamps in India and I can also improve the collection quality of both in MNH & used stamps with nice cancels.

I have the WMk detector still lying ideal and not been used :-)

It has become very important now for me to look at the wmk of all stamps ,so that I know what is not there and focus to get the missing once.

I use SG Postage Stamp-Catalogue - 1955 - Part-I British Empire & the comprehensive Stanley-Gibbons-India-and-States-Stamp-Catalogue-3rd-edition for knowing about the indian stamps.Do we have any specialized catalog for India that holds all misprints & Errors ?

Thanks,
Regards,
John

mobbor
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by mobbor »

They are common on the Aust KGV stamps, generally known as 'bull's eyes' or 'bullet holes'.

They are not constant- have no philatelic significance- & are caused by pieces of foreign matter on the plate.
mobbor

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Hi Mobber ,

Thank you !!

Yes , the cause could be a pieces of foreign matter on the plate.

Do you have some of these common Aust KGV stamps with 'bull's eyes' or 'bullet holes' that can be posted here so that let's have a look at them too ?

But I think it is always a nice to have Indian QV era Stamps with flaw's in your collection !

I am waiting to see such flaw's from the East Indian era QV Stamps !

Thanks,
Regards,
John

StampsOfTheRaj

Post by StampsOfTheRaj »

Thanks to john for kicking this thread off. Very interesting, i hadn't seen these 'bulls eyes, on British India issues before, but i agree with others that it looks like debris on the printing press is probably the likely cause. It makes for some interesting, if largely random, variations! S

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

The Idea was from Glen :)

Regards,
John

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Hi All,

The Scan today had some more Erros from the QV 1/2 Anna over printed sheets!

a, The Overprinted 1/2 anna is not proper and it has many round marks in most of the printings.

b, The Perfs on the second line is very small ?

I have seen & known about couple of Overprints shifting error's in such 1/2 anna overprints .

But these looks to me new error / flaws ??

What could have cause such issue & are these common ??

Thanks,
Regards,
John

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

A better closeup with the preffs error and over print errors !

Thanks,
Regards,
John

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

they are just about the right size to match the little paper " chads" cut out when the sheet was originally perforated. and look like confetti interfering with the over printing.
If they were on the gum ( reverse) side they could cause tiny raised bumps when the overprints were struck .
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

When I did the scan of this half Anna Green Overprint sheet , I did not find anything unusual.

Then I first found the errors/flaws on the over prints on the sheets .

Then again when I was about to add to the blog , I had a chance to looke close on the sheet.
Ok Then I found that the second line is almost having very tiny prefs when compared to the other proper prefs size on the same sheet .

I could not see this prefs error first , as the sheets outer strips looks OK when you just look!

But then when you have a close look again , you should be able to see the problems on the prefs sizes & able to see the different size on the second line very clear.

Posting a better image with pref error marked in red !

Thanks,
Regards,
John

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

When I did the scan of this half Anna Green Overprint sheet , I did not find anything unusual.

Then again when I was about to add to the blog , I had a chance to looke close on the sheet.
Ok Then I found that the second line is almost having very tiny prefs when compared to the other proper prefs size on the same sheet .

I could not see this prefs error first , as the sheets outer strips looks OK when you just look!

But then when you have a close look again , you should be able to see the problems on the prefs sizes & able to see the different size on the second line very clear.

Thanks,
Regards,
John

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Thought of Checking some of the QV - Half Anna Blue..

Some of the flaws and Error types that you would have seen ..

In the above half anna pair ,the Top thick outer frame & the Bottom markings looks different from the other stamp.
Even the "I" in indIa looks different and very thin in one of the stamp in same pair !

In the above the "I" in India looks bend ?

In the above the "I" in India looks thick in one of the stamp.

Today I found that one of the mint QV block's had repair & not visible with eye and after

I scan it , the repair was very clear .So I feel very sad :-(

Thanks,
Regards,
John

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

John_udt

Sorry this has taken a while....

This one is relatively unusual in that it stayed in place probably throughout a printing run & was able to be plated.

In my collection I probably have 100 others.
mobbor

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Thanks Mobbor !!

I am not very much into Australian stamps ,so it would be nice if you could put more details about this stamp ?

I just have few common Australian stamps & the modern Australian stamps are very nice ...

Thanks,
Regards,
John

vijayvenkat
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by vijayvenkat »

john_udt wrote:When I did the scan of this half Anna Green Overprint sheet , I did not find anything unusual.

Thanks,
Regards,
John
I somehow think that the perforation appears tiny, but actually could be normal (basing it on the thickness of the line in the stamp) and that the stamp columns marginally overlap at the perforation line.

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

O.K.

This basic design was used for definitive stamps between 1914 & 1937, although the higher denominations were the kangaroo on map design that had been used for the 1st definitives of the Commonwealth.

Although I know the printing method as letterpress, my ancient SG catalogue has these & your Indian stamps printed by typography. So presumably they were printed by the same method, so it's not surprising that both issues were susceptible to 'bull's eyes'.

The stamp illustrated is 1 1/2d Die 1 first printed in 1924. If the SG nos haven't changed, it's no. 77 Unlike the more famous 1d which was printed from the same steel plates for over 20 years, the 1 1/2d was printed on much softer metal, & often had to be replaced after 6 months or less. The actual stamp illustrated is from electro 29, the last before a new Die was introduced.

That stamp was able to be plated as 29L45, but most bull's eyes didn't stay in position for long enough to be plated.
mobbor

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

John-udt

I need to repeat I know nothing about these stamps, but the perfs certainly do look narrow.

What could cause that is a crease, caused by folding along those perfs, presumably when the block was much larger or an entire sheet, but I presume you've looked at the back.
mobbor

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Dear All,

Some time back , I had sent a note to both SCOTT & SG Teams on this QV flaw finding .

The updates from SCOTT:
The flaw on your stamp is not an error. It is a printing freak caused by a bit of foreign matter, such as a strand of thread, adhering to the printing plate. Populations of such freaks depend on how long the foreign matter interrupted printing before falling off, or being cleaned off by an observant pressman.

The updates from SG:
There are two possible causes for this flaw:
1. It is the result of damage to the printing plate, possibly caused by something being dropped on it. If this were the case it would occur on one stamp in every sheet until the plate was replaced or repaired.
2. It is caused be some 'foreign matter', such as a hair being on the plate during printing. The hair prevents the ink getting to the paper, but subsequently falls off, leaving a small unprinted area. This probably occurred on just this one stamp.
Now, although option 1 would be the more common stamp, it would be much better than option 2, as collectors like to seek out constant flaws and ascertain their position on the sheet.
Until and unless further examples are discovered it is probably not possible to know whether your stamp is option 1 or option 2, but my guess is that it is the latter - an interesting 'freak' flaw.
I would be very interested to hear if anyone turns up a second example, however, suggesting that it is a constant flaw, which might be considered for listing if we can ascertain its sheet position.

#So I can tell you that this QV freak/flaw stamp from East India is one of it's Kind as of today.

After a long time , I got a chance to look at some of my stamp scans & in one of the KE stamp scans there seems to be some "diffrence" in the eyebrow ,between the eye's.One is curved like a bird and other had a straight thick line. Would like to know if you are aware of such issue ?

Would like to hear from you all ..

Thanks,
Regards,
John

Sanda
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by Sanda »

Great job. Mine donot have it

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Thank You Sanda !

I am really happy to know that I was able to unearth few of these flaws from the Classic Indian Stamps.

I have been stocking stamps for many years now & don't get time to really look into them.

Hope to see such new findings from others here too from the Classic Indian Stamps.

Regards,
John

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Hi All,

Today I was able to find one of QV stamp flaw's with DOT's on the overprint ( Like the one's shown above ) is on eBay for sale and currently reached $55 + Shipping .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EY004C-INDIA-QV-1898-VARIETY-DOUBL ... 27e8849d39

Thanks,
Regards,
John

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”