Denmark 8 RBS Stamp - Help with ID

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

xpsp2windows
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Denmark 8 RBS Stamp - Help with ID

Post by xpsp2windows »

I need help in identifying the below stamp.

All I could find about the stamp was that it is from Denmark with a valuation of 8 rigsbank skilling.The royalty in the stamp might be King Frederick vii. The Stamp must be from the time period 1813 - 1854 as rigsbank skilling was active during this financial crisis period. I don't seem to find any other information on this stamp in any catalog. Can anyone help me identify this stamp and its Scott number(if listed).

Thanks!

mads1983
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Denmark 8 RBS Stamp - Help with ID

Post by mads1983 »

This was never issued as a real stamp, as it was a trial design when Denmark was deciding the design of the first stamp. Later there was a minisheet issued there showed the stamp on it.

ClassicalStamps
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by ClassicalStamps »

Like Mads mentioned, it is an Essay. It is from 1854.
The person pictured is King Frederik 8.
There is another in the series, picturing Mercury:

Image link inactive. Removed

xpsp2windows

Post by xpsp2windows »

Thanks to both of you. It has been listed in ebay. Am just curious whether its worth the 7$ mentioned by the seller. What will be your suggestion on this?

ClassicalStamps

7$ would be fair IF the margins were okay.
From your picture it seems they are cut pretty close...

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

It is a forgery of the original essay ( The original is scarce and in warmer color than this and official reprints were also made in the 1880s)

More often are the forgeries . They never got the King's Eye quite right giving him a dead fish look and the number of pearls round the circle is incorrect compared to the original
#

the two illustrations from Classical stamps are also forgeries . The Mercury has a sulky look in his forgery . the original has more serene features .

One story that they were never issued relates that the head of Mercury resembles closely the appearance of the King's Mistress the actress and later Countess Danner with whom he had a Morganatic marriage.
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

This is the original type to compare with the previous forgeries. Note the eye is more alive and there are 6 pearls in the S.E corner ornament and 10 In the NE. The blue lines also stay within the frame !

Forgery again closer to the original colours ( I actually sold this one on ebay last week for $16) Note the dead eye and the 5 pearls in the SE corner and 9 in the NE

and here is the Mercury ------note the "Mona Lisa" smile rather than the sulky look on the forgery posted by Classsicstamps earlier :

xpsp2windows

Post by xpsp2windows »

Wow.Thanks vikingeck for pointing it out as a forgery and for the explanation. I didn't expect to learn this much about this stamp and its history. Thanks everyone! :)

ClassicalStamps

vikingeck, I didn't know forgeries existed of these Essays. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. They quite often appear on major Danish auction sites as genuine.

I have added them to my reference library. Thanks again.

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Hi Classical stamps > I have yet another type of forgery of the "King Fred VII" which has the wrong beard and the wrong hair style !

I understand that probably only a couple of Dozen originals were ever produced. the majority of " Genuine" are actually later reprints and then there are all the forgeries . I think this one is quite scarce but the colour is good --- not too dark brown and the blue lines are thin .

ClassicalStamps

vikingeck, thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Do you know how to recognize the reprints from the originals?

In the stamp below, the colors are a bit different. Could that be a reprint?

Image link inactive. Removed

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

I think it is safe to assume( after rejecting the forgeries) that 99.9% will be the reprints--------------There are so very very few originals . But the reprints are not all that common so 200DKr is a fair price

In yours, the blue lines extend beyond the frame top and bottom so certainly a reprint. but none the worse for that!

I have seen a big international Auction house here offer reprints as originals for 1000+ DKr

I have sent you an email , if you get back to me I'll send a scan of my small collection of these - The page is too large to post here .

doug2222usa

Post by doug2222usa »

Vikingeck, I had to go look up "Morganatic Marriage," so for the baffled:

Morganatic Marriage

In the context of royalty, a morganatic marriage is a marriage between people of unequal social rank, which prevents the passage of the husband's titles and privileges to the wife and any children born of the marriage. Now rare, it is also known as a left-handed marriage because in the wedding ceremony, the groom traditionally held his bride's right hand with his left hand instead of his right. :shock:

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Yes King Fred VII after 2 divorces married an actress and created her Countess Danner. But the lady never became Queen, and by the terms of the marriage ( Morganatic) any children would be barred from inheriting the Crown of Denmark .

There were no children of any of Fred's marriages which precipitated the Schleswig Holstein Question of the Danish Succession a war of 1864 in which Denmark lost half its territory to Bismark's Prussian emerging German Reich .

I imagine if it had been allowed in 1936, Edward VIII might have had a Morganatic marriage with Wallis Simpson. But as head of the Church of England at that time the double divorced Mrs Simpson was deemed totally unsuitable and unacceptable to the Establishment and could never have been Queen . The only solution was his Abdication and marriage when he was no longer King

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”