1942 Nazi German postmark - what does the single S mean?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

china-xiaolin
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

1942 Nazi German postmark - what does the single S mean?

Post by china-xiaolin »

Hello,
The postmark S, was said to be German SS ss, but I do not think, from a picture book, it should be the Hitler Youth

German SS, the designer of this picture ss flag, his situation, I need to know

To the network address, the designers about ss

thank you very much
Want / Offer : mint stamps. cancellations. postal stationery. ect... my topics : Horse. Chinese Zodiac . WWII (needs Third REICH).my blog : http://blog.sina.com.cn/gxl2006 my Email : guoxiaolin5@qq.com

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: 1942 Nazi German postmark - what does the single S mean?

Post by gavin-h »

Hello, china-xiaolin,

The single S is the Armanen runic symbol "Sig", which the Nazis used to signify Victory. In German, the word for Victory is "Sieg".

For the SS they used "Double Sig" as the symbol.

The words on the postmark are "Mit dem Fuhrer zum Sieg" which means "With the Fuhrer to victory". And the date of the postmark is 20 April 1942, which was Hitler's birthday. So the postmark is for victory, not the SS or the Hitler Youth.

I hope this helps you to understand.

china-xiaolin

Post by china-xiaolin »

gavin-h wrote:Hello, china-xiaolin,

The single S is the Armanen runic symbol "Sig", which the Nazis used to signify Victory. In German, the word for Victory is "Sieg".

For the SS they used "Double Sig" as the symbol.

The words on the postmark are "Mit dem Fuhrer zum Sieg" which means "With the Fuhrer to victory". And the date of the postmark is 20 April 1942, which was Hitler's birthday. So the postmark is for victory, not the SS or the Hitler Youth.

I hope this helps you to understand.
Hello, my knowledge is very shallow ah, thank you very much!!!
Want / Offer : mint stamps. cancellations. postal stationery. ect... my topics : Horse. Chinese Zodiac . WWII (needs Third REICH).my blog : http://blog.sina.com.cn/gxl2006 my Email : guoxiaolin5@qq.com

jimwentzell
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by jimwentzell »

The original meaning of the "Sig" Rune (stylized S) came from the germanic root word for "sun".

In the 1920's the symbol was hijacked/adopted by the racist fledgling Nazi movement, among them Guido von List, who suggested the word "Sig" (meaning sun) really signified "Sieg" meaning "victory".

The infamous nazi refrain "Sieg heil" (roughly meaning "hail victory") is almost a play on words, since the double "Sig" or "SS" sounds the same. It conveyed an aura of military force, fight, and death.

The single "S" variant was the symbol of the "Deutschen Jungvolkes", a youth organization of the Hitlerjugend (HJ) for 10 to 14 year-olds.

more info (in German) at:

http://www.netz-gegen-nazis.de/lexikontext/die-sig-rune
--Jim in Georgia always interested in postal history, covers & cards (no FDC)
B u y - s e l l - t r a d e .................................... e - m a i l .. m e !

jimwentzell

Post by jimwentzell »

I meant to type:

since "Sig" and "Sieg" sound the same.

(sorry I didn't get to edit in time!)
--Jim in Georgia always interested in postal history, covers & cards (no FDC)
B u y - s e l l - t r a d e .................................... e - m a i l .. m e !

Britcollector
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Britcollector »

There were two organizations for boys/young men in the Third Reich era. As noted above, there was the DJ (10-14 years old) and the HJ or Hitler Youth for those 15-18 years old. Both used the single "lightning bolt" or Sig rune as their symbol. That card, as noted, was to honor or celebrate Hitler's birthday and examples with many different photos were printed. The cancel is definitely HJ/DJ to match the photo on the front. When I run across the ones I have, I will post them here.

PS - The double Sig rune was the symbol of the dreaded SS or Schutzshaffel. It was not adopted by the SS in the double lightning bolt format until 1933. By that time, the SS were having an increasing influence on the DJ/HJ so the kids got just one rune.

DaveR
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by DaveR »

Here's the same cancellation on a cover from Bill Medland's excellent thread on Third Reich Postal History & Stamps Collection - https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=56896
This one from Strassbourg.

I couldn't find any others, so I wonder if this cancellation was only used for this one Hitler's Birthday, 1942 :?:

Dave.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

DaveR wrote:I couldn't find any others, so I wonder if this cancellation was only used for this one Hitler's Birthday, 1942 :?:
Exactly that, Dave. It was effectively the special First Day cancel for this stamp. I say "effectively", because the stamp was actually issued 1 week earlier on 13 April 1942 :?

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

Those birthday cards were big business. The biggest was 1939 when Hitler turned 50. Here is the front and back of one from Vienna prepared for the philatelic trade. Hitler was Austrian.

Here is one from 1942 from Munich

Note that most of these cards use semi-postal stamps that are sold with premium that was destined for charity.

I also continue to believe that the postmarks at the top of the page were somehow tied to the Hitler Youth rather than being a general expression of victory.

beerwagen
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by beerwagen »

Britcollector wrote:Note that most of these cards use semi-postal stamps that are sold with premium that was destined for charity.
According to history books, the Nazis pocketed all the premiums for themselves. None went to any "charity" at all. Does that surprise us?
British Commonwealth philately - Aden to Zululand

china-xiaolin

Post by china-xiaolin »

jimwentzell wrote:The original meaning of the "Sig" Rune (stylized S) came from the germanic root word for "sun".

In the 1920's the symbol was hijacked/adopted by the racist fledgling Nazi movement, among them Guido von List, who suggested the word "Sig" (meaning sun) really signified "Sieg" meaning "victory".

The infamous nazi refrain "Sieg heil" (roughly meaning "hail victory") is almost a play on words, since the double "Sig" or "SS" sounds the same. It conveyed an aura of military force, fight, and death.

The single "S" variant was the symbol of the "Deutschen Jungvolkes", a youth organization of the Hitlerjugend (HJ) for 10 to 14 year-olds.

more info (in German) at:

http://www.netz-gegen-nazis.de/lexikontext/die-sig-rune
hello,
Thank you so much for your help,
Here, I learned a lot of knowledge!

china-xiaolin

Post by china-xiaolin »

jimwentzell wrote:I meant to type:

since "Sig" and "Sieg" sound the same.

(sorry I didn't get to edit in time!)
hello,

china-xiaolin

Post by china-xiaolin »

Britcollector wrote:There were two organizations for boys/young men in the Third Reich era. As noted above, there was the DJ (10-14 years old) and the HJ or Hitler Youth for those 15-18 years old. Both used the single "lightning bolt" or Sig rune as their symbol. That card, as noted, was to honor or celebrate Hitler's birthday and examples with many different photos were printed. The cancel is definitely HJ/DJ to match the photo on the front. When I run across the ones I have, I will post them here.

PS - The double Sig rune was the symbol of the dreaded SS or Schutzshaffel. It was not adopted by the SS in the double lightning bolt format until 1933. By that time, the SS were having an increasing influence on the DJ/HJ so the kids got just one rune.
hello,

china-xiaolin

Post by china-xiaolin »

Britcollector wrote:Those birthday cards were big business. The biggest was 1939 when Hitler turned 50. Here is the front and back of one from Vienna prepared for the philatelic trade. Hitler was Austrian.

Here is one from 1942 from Munich

Note that most of these cards use semi-postal stamps that are sold with premium that was destined for charity.

I also continue to believe that the postmarks at the top of the page were somehow tied to the Hitler Youth rather than being a general expression of victory.
hello,

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”