Lome Togo Postmark on Dahomey Definitive

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampquestions
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Lome Togo Postmark on Dahomey Definitive

Post by stampquestions »

I have a stamp from Dahomey with a Lome (Togo) postmark. Were the stamps of the French West African colonies valid for use in other colonies? Was it a common practice to use stamps in colonies other than those named on the stamps? Expert advice on this matter would be much appreciated!

(There are obituaries printed on the reverse side of this piece.)

Thanks for your interest and your help Stampboarders!
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
Please email me for new address information. Thanks. Happy stamp collecting!
Matenaser
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Lome Togo Postmark on Dahomey Definitive

Post by Matenaser »

Seems to me that the first cancel on your piece (the one in the middle) actually reads DAHOMEY.

Maybe it has been postmarked again in Lomé for some reason?

Cheers,
M
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi

I can't read the date on the cancels, maybe you can deduce it from the obituaries on the back.

Nevertheless, I would sumrise the date is 1944-7 when a shortage of local stamps was experienced in Togo. Maury mentions stamps of other AOF colonies being sent to Togo in late 1944 and being accepted on mail until 1947, however, the stamp illustrated above is not mentioned in Maury. Consider the 1940s were a period of war when makeshift solutions to small problems were quite frequent and with Dahomey and Togo being next to one another such use might have been aceptable.

Still this is a keeper.

Regards

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

Thanks for the observation about the middle post mark, for the information about the stamp shortages in Togo during the war, and for the advice to see what could be deduced from the obituaries. The obituaries on the back are partial, but one of them is for Juliana Adude Eugenio D... called to God 12-1-44 in Ouidah (Dahomey). This suggests that the letter probably did originate in Dahomey and was (for some reason) postmarked again (twice!) in Lome. Returned to sender? I wish I had the full cover! This conclusion is a bit of a disappointment given the hope of an unusual usage, but your insights and information are appreciated.
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

In the same lot as the Lome postmark, I found a Cotonou (Dahomey) postmark on a 1938-1940 definitive from French Guinea. Perhaps this is an example of one of the stamps mentioned by "memphre" that was shifted from colony to colony due to wartime shortages.

Once again the piece has obituaries printed on the reverse. Unfortunately, in this case there are no helpful dates or names.

Hope this is of interest to those following this thread!

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”