Information Wanted on Imperforate Monaco 1968 Olympic Stamps

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampquestions
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Information Wanted on Imperforate Monaco 1968 Olympic Stamps

Post by stampquestions »

These stamps from Monaco commemorating the 1968 Mexico City Olympics were labeled Scott 676-681 "imperforate" but my 2016 Scott catalogue only lists multicolored stamps perf. 13. The stamps below have gum. Is anyone aware of a listing for this variety? Is it some sort of trial, proof or souvenir item? How does it compare in value with the regular issue? Can anyone interpret the marginal inscriptions on the selvage for me?
Any assistance you can offer will be much appreciated!
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
Please email me for new address information. Thanks. Happy stamp collecting!
DarrenK
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Information Wanted on Imperforate Monaco 1968 Olympic St

Post by DarrenK »

Not my area but I would suggest that they are proofs since the final stamps are multi coloured.

There were some Monaco proofs offered for sale here awhile ago.

http://www.stampboards.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61743
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

stampquestions wrote: Is it some sort of trial, proof or souvenir item?
These imperf "proofs" in a varying array of colours were produced in limited numbers for sale to collectors as a revenue earner. They usually appear with the "Musee de timbre poste" ("Museum of the postage stamp") handstamp as seen below.

If you go to https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collectables/stamps/monaco/ and search for "proof", you will see plenty of examples. Prices vary, but you're generally looking at a few euros each.

Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Similarly, imperf stamps in the issued colours are also limited edition products, rather than errors of production.

Premiums over the perf price vary quite a lot.
Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

Monaco has produced some beautiful stamps, but they tend to be a bit pricey.

It is the curse all collectors labour under (unless you win the lottery), budget is finite, and you never seem to sell existing collections before starting a new one. :D

I'm selling off some of my Germany collection, mainly the ones that don't 'fit' a standard collection.
With kind regards, Jim
stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

The Pom wrote:Similarly, imperf stamps in the issued colours are also limited edition products, rather than errors of production.

Premiums over the perf price vary quite a lot.
My Scott catalogue does note "Many Monaco stamps from 1940 to 1999 exist imperforate. Officially 20 sheets, ranging from 25 to 100 subjects, were left imperforate." I assume that "subjects" refers to individual stamps although I stand to be corrected in that assumption. Unfortunately, I cannot find any reference to colour trials.
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi

These are indeed color trials. Some are catalogued and priced in the Maury catalogue for Monaco, unfortunately not these. However, I can tell you these are scarce and would command about 10€ piece, maybe a little more given that some are margin copies with inscription. Compare that with a price of about 1,50€ for a complete MNH set of the issued stamps.

To understand the marginal inscriptions, one has to remember that Monaco stamps were/are printed by the French postage stamp printing department. The inscriptions are thus similar to that found on stamps of France and colonies. These inscrptions are to be found just to the left of the center of the margin. In this case they read: T.D.3-13 and T.D.3-15 respectively.

This is the printing press identification where T.D. means «Taille douce» meaning this is a press that handles engraved stamps. The following figure 3 indicates that this press can print 3 colours at a time. Finally, the last number is the sequential press number within this category, 13 being the 13th 3 colour taille-douce printing press operated by the department.

Hope this helps.

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

memphre wrote:Hi

These are indeed color trials. Some are catalogued and priced in the Maury catalogue for Monaco, unfortunately not these. However, I can tell you these are scarce and would command about 10€ piece, maybe a little more given that some are margin copies with inscription. Compare that with a price of about 1,50€ for a complete MNH set of the issued stamps.

To understand the marginal inscriptions, one has to remember that Monaco stamps were/are printed by the French postage stamp printing department. The inscriptions are thus similar to that found on stamps of France and colonies. These inscrptions are to be found just to the left of the center of the margin. In this case they read: T.D.3-13 and T.D.3-15 respectively.

This is the printing press identification where T.D. means «Taille douce» meaning this is a press that handles engraved stamps. The following figure 3 indicates that this press can print 3 colours at a time. Finally, the last number is the sequential press number within this category, 13 being the 13th 3 colour taille-douce printing press operated by the department.

Hope this helps.

Memphre
Thank you for all of this information--particularly the detailed explanation of the marginal inscriptions!

Derrick
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Machaggis52 wrote:Monaco has produced some beautiful stamps, but they tend to be a bit pricey.

It is the curse all collectors labour under (unless you win the lottery), budget is finite, and you never seem to sell existing collections before starting a new one. :D

I'm selling off some of my Germany collection, mainly the ones that don't 'fit' a standard collection.
I wouldn't say Monaco is all that pricey compared to many countries.

Mint & used 1885-2000:

Highest CV stamp is £10,000.

There are only 7 stamps over £1,000.

There are ~65 stamps in the £100-£950 range.

A further ~70 stamps are £50-£95.

Total CV for the period is £75,000-£80,000.

You can pick up decent collections at around 5% CV, so you can knock up a pretty complete collection for just a few thousand. And yes, I appreciate that's a fair bit of money, but it's still not a lot compared to many other countries.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”