Seeking information on DDR "sonderflugverkehr" cancellation

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampquestions
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Seeking information on DDR "sonderflugverkehr" cancellation

Post by stampquestions »

Does anyone have information on the sonderflugverkehr (special air traffic according to google translation) service mentioned on the red cancellation on this cover? Would this be a stamp applied to covers carried on this service or a promotional slogan for the service?

Any information that you can share will be much appreciated!
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
Please email me for new address information. Thanks. Happy stamp collecting!
OldDuffer1
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Seeking information on DDR "sonderflugverkehr" cancellat

Post by OldDuffer1 »

It seems to relate to special- presumably inaugural- flights which took place during the Leipzig Fair- presumably to give more publicity to them. Here is one I have for the route to Prague:

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Yes, a special service run by the East German authorities during the twice-yearly period of the Leipzig Trade Fair. The special flights would have mainly been used to bring foreign business people in to East Germany to visit the fair.

The Leipzig Fair dated back hundreds of years and was one of the major trade fairs in Europe. The fair was held twice a year: Spring Fair (Fruhjahrmesse) and Autumn Fair (Herbstmesse).

In the aftermath of World War 2, Leipzig was within the Soviet Zone and subsequently East Germany (German Democratic Republic, Deutsche Demokratische Republik, DDR) and the Communist government sought to use it to showcase Soviet technology and to bring in "hard" currency, dollars, pounds, other western currencies.
stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

The information provided so far is much appreciated.

Here is what appears to be a similar marking from 1957 which, according to google translate, says, "Trade fair airport Leipzig-Mockau with airmail." Does this mean that all airmail travelling through that airport (during the fair?) received this mark?
Thank you Stampboarders, in advance, for any additional information and insights.
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

Here is another similar example with another question:

My questions is about the back rather than the front. I have noticed many covers from the DDR with three pieces of what appears to be selvage (in a variety of colours) used as a seal. Are these "seals" something applied by the senders who lacked confidence in the envelope's adhesive or something applied by official censors?

If you know, let me know. Thanks.
vicaf60
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by vicaf60 »

Yes, these are indeed selvages of stamp sheets applied by the sender to additinally seal the cover, quite a usual practice.
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

vicaf60 wrote:Yes, these are indeed selvages of stamp sheets applied by the sender to additionally seal the cover, quite a usual practice.
Of course, if they had left them on the stamps the covers would often now be more valuable!

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”