Monthly Cover Exchange Group - Scans Thread Only

Seek exchange partners here. List what you broadly have to exchange, and what you'd ideally like in return. No charge - totally **FREE** for stampboards members to use to use. Or GIVE away your spares. Try it out today!

Moderators: Canada stamper, AMark, Volunteer Moderator Team

Dean - 2W0XTP
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Monthly Cover Exchange Group - Scans Thread Only

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Here is the place to post scans of the covers you receive from other members.
Here is my cover I will be sending using the most recent GB issue stamps.These are three of a set of 8. They are entitled "Magical Realms"

Please visit my new Blog at http://deanscovers.blogspot.com

Dean - 2W0XTP

Re: Cover Exchange Group - Scans Thread Only

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Here is a cover I received from Hans(muruk) from a recent cover exchange this is a good example.

muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by muruk »

Just for interest, the Echidna on the cover (not the stamps) lives along Porepunkah Gully Road, a seldom travelled minor bush road. Usually when approached they immediately dig into the ground leaving just the spines exposed, but this one seems happy to stay on the surface and have its photo taken. I've met it several times as I use the road for a shortcut to a worksite at Havilah.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

plsllvn
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by plsllvn »

Here is a very nice cover from muruk,
Thanks

Paul

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Here is a real nice cover from Norm (fromdownunder). Very fast delivery 8 days from Australia to Wales.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Dean - 2W0XTP wrote:Here is the place to post scans of the covers you receive from other members.
Here is my cover I will be sending using the most recent GB issue stamps.These are three of a set of 8. They are entitled "Magical Realms"

However nice they look I still think covers are best if they have only the required amount of postage for the destination - otherwise they are obviously philatelic. Just my 36 pence worth (2 pence goes nowhere these days).
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Hi Ian, yes I do tend to agree to an extent but I feel by sending just one 97p(£1.10 new rate) stamp on a Worldwide envelope people may feel they are not getting a fair exchange. and I hate mixing commeratives with machins as again it seems to spoil the effect somehow.

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

My March cover:

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

I can only apologise for Royal Mails pretty poor job of cancelling stamps.Maybe I could consider repositioning stamps next time.

muruk

Post by muruk »

I have received covers where the sender has gone to the trouble of placing the stamps nicely, and having clean cancels applied at the post office, and they still arrive with an extra roller cancel or inkjet spray or both added for good measure.

I guess the postal service thinks that makes up for all those that arrive without a cancel at all.

My covers have arrived, but I won't be able to post an image till my broadband quota resets tomorrow.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Dean - 2W0XTP wrote:
Maybe I could consider repositioning stamps next time.
I've been suggesting for 30 years that collectors do that!

It was proven once again this week as Skippy I knew wanted the ROO stamp neatly cancelled.
Global Administrator wrote:
Skippy wrote:
This one from Glen, brilliant thanks !

Good to see it made it fine! Thought you may like that franking. :mrgreen:

It proves once again my age old mantra to affix any stamps you want to stay un-mangled by ink jet mail sorting spray cancels, 2 inches in and down from top RH corner.

Imagine the mess on a pale stamp like that, if I placed it to right of the 10c!

Glen

norvic

Post by norvic »

admin wrote:
Dean - 2W0XTP wrote:
Maybe I could consider repositioning stamps next time.
I've been suggesting for 30 years that collectors do that!
Repoisitoning stamps wouldn't help, especially that many. And positioning is fine for a hand-cancel, but machine cancels, especially ink-jet, you get what you get. I think the stamps on fromdownunder's cover have been well-cancelled. Not nicely cancelled, but well-cancelled.

The problem with philatelic creations like this - I understand Dean prefers multi-stamp over-franked covers to solo-use covers - is that the postmark looks a mess especially on these dark stamps. If a single 97p Aslan or White Witch stamp had been used instead, the wavy lines would have got it, and the date and place of posting and slogan would have been clear.
Royal Mail_______________PRINTIWCH
2 . . .03.11________________ y Cod Post
De Oril Cymru____________Please PRINT
S W Wales_________________the Postcode
making it ideal for a solo use collection.
Last edited by norvic on 06 Apr 2011 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Yes your correct Ian, its a bit of catch 22 situation. I may try the single high value stamp next time.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

norvic wrote:
And positioning is fine for a hand-cancel, but machine cancels, especially ink-jet, you get what you get.
So why are folks in this cover swap group NOT securing hand cancels is the bleedingly obvious response?!

We have zero control over ink-jets, so need to use our head to work around that possibility. :idea:

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Not possible to do so in the UK, unless sent away to a special handstamp centre.

norvic

Post by norvic »

admin wrote:So why are folks in this cover swap group NOT securing hand cancels is the bleedingly obvious response?!

We have zero control over ink-jets, so need to use our head to work around that possibility.
Cultivating the friendship of a local postmaster may secure a handstamp, but sadly that would not preclude a later machine postmark, either universal or ink-jet.

To be sure of getting a handstamp, as Dean says, covers must be sent to one of the philatelic handstamp centres. With the cost of doing so at least 36p, that rather adds to the costs of obtaining what might be desirable.

On the other hand, using the normal mail, you might get this:

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

Dean - 2W0XTP wrote:Not possible to do so in the UK
Huh?

Well I get a lot of UK mail - with superb handstamps.

Don't you have humans at local POs you can nicely ask to add a neat cds? It is not that hard to do. 8)

An American auction house was asked to use an $18.30 Bixby and ask for it to be hand cancelled.

First they told me 'their PO did not have that stamp'.

I told them that was total BS.

Then they said they could not use a hand cancel these days.

My reply is above.

This below is what I received. Nothing is impossible if you ask nicely. :idea:

The HIGHEST face value postage stamp ever issued by the USA. The 2010, $18.30 Bixby Creek Bridge stamp.

These high values have a VERY limited life, as the last several have shown us.

Postally used in current period of issue, and paying the exact SOLO rate of a large Registered 1st class, and insured for $700 letter to Australia.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Where postage is paid partly in stamps and partly in labels, and for all 'registered' mail, the stamps should be cancelled at the counter, hence the excellent examples people have shown that they have received from me.

But the covers that Dean produces are small, basic rate, with stamps only. So they go through the machine system - what is difficult to understand about that?

And even if they are hand-cancelled they are still put in the sack which goes to the mechanised letter office or mail centre and put in the machine. Whether they get a machine cancel is, as has been pointed out on other threads, in the lap of the gods because they may not get any machine postmark at all.

But believe me, we know the way our post office and Royal Mail work: you can try as much as you like but you can't persuade me that you know better.

john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by john6625 »

Hi All

Recieved cover from Agondocz today.

Thanks Andrew, very nice.

John
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91614 ..... OR ....
Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91615

norvic

Post by norvic »

Oh look, handstamp - and inkjet.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

norvic wrote:Oh look, handstamp - and inkjet.
Once more for the s-l-o-w to learn things .......................
admin wrote: It proves once again my age old mantra to affix any stamps you want to stay un-mangled by ink jet mail sorting spray cancels, 2 inches in and down from top RH corner.

amc184
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by amc184 »

I have two options for getting nice cancels:

- Send them from Christchurch's philatelic post office. Unfortunately it was destroyed in the recent earthquake, so I won't have that option for at least six months. See one of them here on Dean's blog. These go into a special mail stream that is not machine cancelled.

- Send them inside a clear OPP bag. They do get re-cancelled, but only on the clear bag, leaving the original hand cancel intact. I've done this extensively within New Zealand, but I've never tried it internationally, though I can't see it being a problem.

Here's one from today:

It takes extra effort, but it can be done.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

amc184 wrote:
It takes extra effort, but it can be done.
That is it in a nutshell.

It just takes a tiny bit of thought and planning.

I can do it, as a large busy dealer, and I really think most collectors CAN too if they apply themselves. Most especially when they are swapping with others who do and can.

Two members here collect Kangaroos on stamps. I sent them both parcels last week with these - the perf and self and stick versions. Both perfect CTO under plastic.

Cost to each of them of their large packages - ZERO effectively. Just takes some thought and a tad of planning. :mrgreen:

Glen
muruk wrote:
admin wrote:
And Muruk's carton got a 'Dual Roo Delight' franking. :mrgreen:

I was wondering where I was going to get those ... problem solved. Many thanks Glen. :D

norvic

Post by norvic »

admin wrote:
norvic wrote:Oh look, handstamp - and inkjet.
Once more for the s-l-o-w to learn things .......................
admin wrote: It proves once again my age old mantra to affix any stamps you want to stay un-mangled by ink jet mail sorting spray cancels, 2 inches in and down from top RH corner.
Are we talking about attractive covers or collectable stamps? A stamp stuck half-way down the envelope just so that you don't get a machine ink-jet cancel stands a better-than-even chance of being ruined here.
"Pass me the biro, this stamp's not been cancelled."
In many delivery offices there are no handstamps - use the biro.
In main sorting offices handstamps are only used on packets, if at all, so if it gets noticed - use the biro.

In some sorting offices although the flats are passed through a machine for individual bar-coding, they still don't have anything to cancel the stamps so - use the biro.

From the Modern British Philatelic Circle newsletter, and if they can't get something sensible done.....

norvic

Post by norvic »

So, once more for the slow to learn things....

From the United Kingdom,

- if you want a solo use on cover you will almost certainly get a machine cancel, none at all, or a biro. (Ask the guy who returned un-cancelled postcards to me from Oz, and found that the first was still unpostmarked when it arrived the second time!);

- if you want a neat clear postmark on a cover with a guarantee of no additional postmarks it will have to be from a philatelic handstamp centre, from where they are posted on inside a protective sleeve; (and you will have to pay for postage and an envelope to send it to the HC);

- if you want neat postmarks on stamps the item has to be too large to machine and/or be sent 'registered' or special delivery. (Even then there is no guarantee unless the sender makes the effort that the PO clerk will actually cancel the stamps at the counter.)

The one other way - which does require senders to go the extra mile - is to have the stamps cancelled and wrapped and taped to the package, and final pennies paid for by a Horizon label. Not all postmasters will allow this to be done, especially at the bigger POs. But this will only give you nicely cancelled stamps, it won't give you a collectable cover.

As I already do this, I don't know why I'm wasting time trying to explain to foreigners how difficult life can be here. Now, back to customers' orders.

amc184

Post by amc184 »

Hi Norvic, I wasn't trying to contradict or insult you. I understand that not all people have the facility to get a hand cancel, nor would I begrudge anyone who sent me a machine cancelled cover.

New Zealand isn't exactly cancel heaven either, there are only three philatelic post offices in the whole country (well, two now), and most postal staff in the normal ones aren't even aware what a cancel is. The amount of blank looks I get when I ask for a cancel amazes me, I thought a cancel would be something a postal worker learned of on the first day! I've never seen a pen cancel in New Zealand, that practice is deplorable.

I do think clear sleeves are worth a try for people who don't have access to a philatelic post office though, but it does require dropping the letter at a post office rather than a post box, which may be hard for some. They're cheap too, about 5c each sleeve.

I've said all I want to say on the topic, back to scans.

Edit: Oh, by the way Glen, routing marks through stamps don't bother me, I don't see that as an issue at all. They're pretty unobtrusive.

john6625

Post by john6625 »

The machine marks don't bother me particularly if the stamps are to be left on cover. Having both a handstamp and a machine cancel can tell more of a story.

In any case it's the way things are done these days and todays covers are tomorrows postal history.

It's a bit of a different story if you want to soak the stamps off piece, especially if as Glen suggested, it's a lightly coloured stamp.

Thats just my opinion anyway.

John
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91614 ..... OR ....
Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91615

amc184

Post by amc184 »

Received this today, thanks RSA.

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Its all good discussion guys and all kind of relevant but can I please ask that we keep this for scans of covers only from now on.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

Dean - 2W0XTP wrote: can I please ask that we keep this for scans of covers only from now on.
Well this neat one arrived today from member jugoslaviapost in the USA.

Nicely cancelled, and no marker pen or tracking ink jet sprays on it. :mrgreen:

bazza4338
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Post by bazza4338 »

Received from jugoslavija_post yesterday (Friday).

Can anyone tell me the face value of the Reagan stamp please?

Thanks Erik.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

Good for letter rate F - O - R - E - V - E - R

As they both say on them in big letters. :lol:

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

May as well answer my own question:-

"Forever stamps"

In 2006, the US Postal Service applied for permission to issue a stamp similar to non-denominated stamps in the US, termed the "forever stamp", for first-class postage.[1]

On March 26, 2007, the US Postal service unveiled the first such stamp, which went on sale April 12, 2007, for 41 cents (US$0.41),[2] the so-called "Liberty Bell" stamp, which is marked "USA FIRST-CLASS FOREVER". (unused "forever" stamps purchased in April 2007 therefore are valid for the full 44 cent first-class postage rate, despite having been purchased for 41 cents).

norvic

Post by norvic »

That is the crucial thing, Bazza.

No matter they say 'FOREVER' in whatever size letter, what you need to know to establish that the total postage paid is the correct rate is what value they had when posted, rather than when issued (though I think that is the same thing in this case).

jugoslavija_post
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by jugoslavija_post »

Yep, issued at the 44c rate "era", and used in that era. :)

muruk

Post by muruk »

My cover arrivals for March below.

Sorry I've been a bit slow ... broke a tooth last week and had the roots gouged out ... instructions from the dentist include "Put up with two weeks of pain and suffering before you bring it to our attention", or words to that effect.

Sincere thanks to the contributors.

Morgan Le Fay doesn't really have a black ring around her nose ... it's just the SON effect of the cancel. Nice pairing with the Iberian Lynx stamp.

amc184

Post by amc184 »

Received this great cover from john6625:

jugoslavija_post

Post by jugoslavija_post »

amc184 wrote:Received this great cover from john6625:

AMAZING franking! Nice postmark! :D

Dean - 2W0XTP

Post by Dean - 2W0XTP »

Yep I agree Erik, excellent franking hopefully can get one of those Secret Harbour ones myself from John

Darkice
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by Darkice »

Thanks to Tanuki for this nice cover.

Sent on the 25th of March, and arrived on the 21st of April.

Mal.
Love this place!

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Hi all

Recieved this cover from AMC184 the other day. I was quite happy with it however Anton e-mailed me saying he didn't have time to get to the post office before it closed and could only get a machine cancel, so he would send another.

Anyway this one turned up today and boy, what a stunning cover.

You are right about those plastic sleeves, the cover turned up in pristine condition. 8)

Thankyou very much Anton (bet you enjoy sending us Aussies those All Black stamps too) :wink:

John

plsllvn

Post by plsllvn »

Here are some fantastic covers received from Darkice.

Thanks
Paul

muruk

Post by muruk »

This from agondocz ... love the forest theme:

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Received today from tanuki of Morocco.

An impressive Pre-Stamped Cover with additional stamps.

Embossed Cachet d'authentification on the reverse.

Ready for Return To Sender too.

I like the way he does the cross stroke of Capital "A" - with a cross - had not seen that before.

Tanuki
Location: From Paris, France but in Fes, Morocco at the moment

Post by Tanuki »

Thanks Barry, I'm glad you liked the cover.
Unfortunately I don't have a scanner here so I can't show everybody the nice covers I received from you and from Darkice thanks to this cover exchange group. :(

I used to live in China and each time I was writting capital "A" people used to think I was writing the caracter 风 (the wind). :lol:
I collect WW stamps and insects and arachnids on stamps.

muruk

Post by muruk »

And another one from agondocz:

Not sure why I got 2 (April) ... but thanks. :D

Darkice

Post by Darkice »

Thanks to plsllvn for these three lovely covers.

Love this place!

amc184

Post by amc184 »

I received these two great covers from Darkice today:

Berlin-Gus

Post by Berlin-Gus »

Received this wonderful cover plus a postcard from the ROYAUME DU MAROC and posted by TANUKI. Many thanks!!

Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Received from agondocz yesterday with thanks:-

Return to “SWAP your stamps and covers with other collectors Worldwide - or GIVE them away FREE!”