Be careful when collecting stamps in person from Glen's home

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

DJM
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Be careful when collecting stamps in person from Glen's

Post by DJM »

Looks like something you see in wildlife specials from Africa....

:D

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Be careful when collecting stamps in person from Glen's home

Post by gavin-h »

DJM wrote:ahhhhhh !!! I see the scam now !!

Glen makes his driveway as dangerous as possible so that after Glen makes a sale to a buyer, Buyer tries to leave & crashes car, Glen buys back goods in cash at 25% of what buyer paid, because buyer now needs cash fast to buy a new car.

Brilliant !

:lol: :lol:
I think it says more about the standard of driving in Australia than it does about Glen's driveway :idea:

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

David Attenborough voice over...

"The wildmen of Castlecrag having consumed an excess of moonshine, head out to cause mischief and mayhem with the local inhabitants and Ford lovers.

Finding an unsuspecting Ford driver - these "Holden till I die" car lovers descend on the poor driver and bunny hop all over the car, yelling "C'Mon figure 8 you can do it!"

Failing in their endeavours they devour whatever food and leftover beer they can find and take off with the small prized pieces of paper they so love."
:lol:

Seriously, next time, let some air out of the back tyres! It lowers the back, increases the traction and may help raise the front tyres!
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Actually this car had brand new, very wide low profile tyres as you can see above.

It was not a good ad for Ford that's for sure. :lol:

Delivery van drivers often have enough grunt to get out of there, so this flash thing with a spoiler no less, had as much power as a mosquito at the crunch!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

mick1965
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by mick1965 »

Just found the topic Glen, as per our chat... :shock:

I thought about visiting one day, but my doctor won't believe me on how I hurt myself
so badly when I tell him I was only collecting stamps... :lol:

You think Insurance will cover me... HMMM :?:
Good to see no one is hurt....Cheers Mick

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Be careful when collecting sta

Post by Catweazle »

mrboggler wrote:After this little misshap, I think all the Auto Clubs will be listing Glens House as 4WD ONLY terrain.
I see they're now making 4WD school buses just to pick up the kids on Glen's St:

Image link inactive. Removed
Le Cœur Vivant: Photographie Sauvage | Arctic Postal History (1939 - 1945)

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

I don't know what all the fuss is over Glen's driveway. The street leading down to the Tor Walk is far worse (I almost went over the edge there, mind you I was going fast :shock: ).
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

David Smitham

Post by David Smitham »

Glen, for the safety of your customers: perhaps it would kinder and safer for them for you to offer mail/courier services only and to remove the personal uplift option - that way you will keep clients (because they remain alive!) happy and yourself in business!

Too many such lethal incidents in the future may lead your government to declare you persona non grata and send you back to the Taleban as you already have the appearance of being one!

What can you do to improve the safety access to your place?
David Smitham
NZ 2020 FIAP stamp exhibition 19-22 March 2020, Auckland, NZ.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:I don't know what all the fuss is over Glen's driveway. The street leading down to the Tor Walk is far worse (I almost went over the edge there, mind you I was going fast :shock: ).
True, it does look somewhat "normal". One of my friend's driveways is almost vertical, and hence a lot worse than Glen's!

And in Lorne near Apollo Bay (on the Great Ocean Rd), some of the driveways there really are ultra lethal (when we had a Land Rover, almost the only time we used diff lock - because admittedly we hardly ever went 4wdriving except in the summer in the Otways - was up an old lady's driveway to the granny flat out the back where we stayed!)
Le Cœur Vivant: Photographie Sauvage | Arctic Postal History (1939 - 1945)

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

David Smitham wrote:
What can you do to improve the safety access to your place?
Well there used to be a crocodile filled moat, but for Health and Safety Reasons they made me fill that in. 8)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

A-One Stamps
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by A-One Stamps »

All. Ah for, the memories.

Haven't been up the drive since. Guess who says no go!!

Marty.

malcolm197
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by malcolm197 »

If this was the UK the Health and Safety Executive would ban Stamp Colecting as a hazardous activity.

Has Glen done a "Risk Assessment" on his property?

Malcolm

JohnBenn

Post by JohnBenn »

Ramps for vehicles should be (1:25) i.e rise 1m for every 25m. That looks more like a pedestrian ramp (1:8). Nice view of the ocean BTW.

The best solution would be to either place something,that can be seen,at this point (like a garden ornament).

I can't see from the images how wide it is, but I would rather to get the curb cut back at that corner. Obviously the drivers can't see it when going back down (thinking more about the stamps just bought :D ).

Also, this area should be widened.Minimum 2.5m but wider is better. Get the garden shears out :) .

A bad attitude is like a flat tyre.If you don't change it,you'll never go anywhere.

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Unfortunately cutting the curb back would mean storm water doesn't flow down the driveway to the road and then into the road's storm water drains.

It would track around the cut back curb and down the side of the hill which would erode it and eventually collapse the driveway :idea:

A garden ornament at the corner wouldn't stop a car unless it was pretty darn big but a steel bollard would. Paint it bright yellow for visibility and you'd have half a chance.

At least it would stop a car from flipping like poor Marty's did :!:

JohnBenn

Post by JohnBenn »

Cutting away the portion I marked and filling that area with tar, at an angle, should suffice in getting rid of storm water and down the driveway(the cheapest method).
A garden ornament at the corner wouldn't stop a car unless it was pretty darn big but a steel bollard would. Paint it bright yellow for visibility and you'd have half a chance.
:lol:

Not to stop a car,but to warn the drivers before they take shortcuts over that corner :D .

One definitely don't want someone dropping 10 feet down that hill.
A bad attitude is like a flat tyre.If you don't change it,you'll never go anywhere.

ChrisGray
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by ChrisGray »

As well as removing that corner, a narrow channel cut into the driveway (concrete saw, cheap to do or get done) would let water runoff travel all the way down to street level. A simple calculation of surface area on the driveway would tell you how wide to cut it, and unless you have a habit of riding a bicycle down that side of your driveway, you'll never have an issue with water nor cars.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

JohnBenn wrote:
Also, this area should be widened. Minimum 2.5m but wider is better. Get the garden shears out :) .

I am honored to be in the presence of globally brilliant structural engineers who have never in their life been to Castlecrag, yet know all about it. :lol:

Question #1 - what makes you think it is NOT 2.5 metres wide at least already?

My mail driver who REVERSES up there every day is driving a vechicle at least 2.5 metres wide.

Maybe he rolls his truck every day and never tells me - that is entirely possible I guess?

Caddyman
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Caddyman »

I have been in Glen's driveway very recently and survived.

Keep to the right. No problem.

JohnBenn

Post by JohnBenn »

Global Administrator wrote:
Question #1 - what makes you think it is NOT 2.5 metres wide at least already?
Experience 8) ...my guess, with the proportions of the other objects within the image, would be 2.4m at the area marked.

But this is not what is causing the accidents, and wider would always be better, especially because of the ramp's incline.

The real problem is the corner.

Just a suggestion, it is your property after all.

ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Forgive my ignorant suggestion, I'm only in the construction industry full time. :lol:

If somebody did have an accident and wasn't as nice about it as the above rollover, they could, from a legal standpoint, argue that because you operate out of your house, your address is effectively a business and therefore OH&S laws and regulations apply, which is a whole other world of pain. This a big reason why pickup is not available from many work-from-home businesses, even industrial-area large companies like Kogan.

Your driveway is perfectly fine for you and the postie navigates it fine all the time, but if it were classed as a public access ramp to a business and is found to not comply with the Australian standards, they would have a case against you.

It sounds ridiculous sure, but it only takes one idiot who does something stupid and then blames your driveway, and then their solicitor takes the ball and runs with it. However unlikely that scenario is, is it really worth it? People sue for $500k on a slip and fall - on flat ground no less, which is why it's hard to find public liability insurance under a couple million now. Even if they have no real case, they could tie you up for months in the local court merry-go-round.

But as JohnBenn said, it's your property. :lol:

I'd end pickups. It only takes one time and one fool to cost you a lot of money.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ChrisGray wrote:

I'd end pickups. It only takes one time and one fool to cost you a lot of money.
Not me, the insurance company that underwrites my business legal liability insurance who accept business takes place here and charge me accordingly. :idea:

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Somehow I don't think Glen will lose much sleep over this one :idea:

In any case Public Liability cover for businesses and most private residences these days run to $20M.

JohnBenn

Post by JohnBenn »

ChrisGray wrote:Forgive my ignorant suggestion, I'm only in the construction industry full time. :lol:

If somebody did have an accident and wasn't as nice about it as the above rollover, they could, from a legal standpoint, argue that because you operate out of your house, your address is effectively a business and therefore OH&S laws and regulations apply, which is a whole other world of pain. This a big reason why pickup is not available from many work-from-home businesses, even industrial-area large companies like Kogan.

Your driveway is perfectly fine for you and the postie navigates it fine all the time, but if it were classed as a public access ramp to a business and is found to not comply with the Australian standards, they would have a case against you.

It sounds ridiculous sure, but it only takes one idiot who does something stupid and then blames your driveway, and then their solicitor takes the ball and runs with it. However unlikely that scenario is, is it really worth it? People sue for $500k on a slip and fall - on flat ground no less, which is why it's hard to find public liability insurance under a couple million now. Even if they have no real case, they could tie you up for months in the local court merry-go-round.

Exactly what I was thinking,and God forbid another freak accident occurs and kills the driver.

Okay that's my two cents.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

I think Glen is doing a service here.

Really, if someone can't navigate a drive - no matter how steep - at walking pace in their car, they should NOT be on the road :idea:

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Most people walk up the drive except for tradesmen who have all seen much worse than this.

Clients are advised to park in the street.

A lot of Castlecrag is built on an escarpment, and ours is actually one of the least intimidating driveways in the area 8)
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Hah, people think the inclined driveway is bad, wait till they see the steps up to the front door :lol: :lol:

Time to get that inclinator working again :idea:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

DJM wrote:
Looks like something you see in wildlife specials from Africa....

:D
Yes after writing off his wife's car, Marty now asks me to MAIL him goods, and not drive over to collect them. :lol:

One this month had him mad - a week and a half to get 10 miles across town. :roll: :roll: :twisted:

Unacceptable. Chullora is a huge mail centre way out in the West. It simply cannot cope with the parcel traffic it gets these days.

What on earth the Express parcel was doing sitting there for days is anyone's guess. :roll: :(

Glen

zep33
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by zep33 »

What year is your Celica?

I bought mine new 15 years ago last month and still driving it every day

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

R. I. P. - Martyn Louis Greive.

I heard the sad news today that Martyn has just passed away peacefully, aged 90.

His obituary will be in tomorrow's newspaper I understand, and his firm wishes were for no funeral or flowers or fuss etc.

He ran A-One Stamps in Sydney for 40 years, and I've known and dealt with Marty all that time. He was an active member here, and in fact joined up in our first month of existence.

Martyn was a WW2 veteran, and had a city retail shop for some time, that was later bought by Kevin Duffy, who then sold it to Robert Kennedy. Martyn was Secretary of the Stamp Dealer body here, and was well known and liked in the trade.

He and Ann had the most amazing high floor large apartment, on the tip of Darling Point, with an amazing near 360 degree uninterrupted view of Sydney Harbour, the Opera House, and Manly etc.

We went and had lunch there in recent months, and he was in good spirits then, but his health declined soon afterwards.

Survived by Ann and 3 children, and the grandchildren, Marty will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Glen and Margo.

wilbaer
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by wilbaer »

That is very sad news, Glen.

Martyn was a real gentleman and will be sorely missed.

Condolences to Ann and his whole family.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Condolences to the Grieve family.
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Very sad news.

The last time I saw him was a couple of years ago at his apartment at Darling Point.

He was kind enough to give me a large number of early issues of the Papua Philatelic Society News as he knew that area of the world was one of my collecting interests.

My sincere condolences to his lovely wife Ann and their extended family.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Seems Glen isn't the only one with a driveway that likes to flip cars.
Queen Elizabeth II's 97-year-old husband Prince Philip emerged unscathed after a vehicle he was driving was involved in a traffic accident that injured two people on Thursday, according to Buckingham Palace and police.

A palace spokeswoman told AFP that the duke was driving near the monarch's Sandringham Estate when the crash occurred but declined to confirm the type of vehicle or reports that it overturned in the incident.

The BBC reported Philip was behind the wheel of a Range Rover which flipped on its side after pulling out of a Sandringham driveway onto a main road and becoming involved in the accident.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/1612886/prince-philip ... hCcBaqJnxc
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

JohnBenn wrote:
19 Dec 2012 04:50
Ramps for vehicles should be (1:25) i.e rise 1m for every 25m. That looks more like a pedestrian ramp (1:8). Nice view of the ocean BTW.

The best solution would be to either place something,that can be seen,at this point (like a garden ornament).

I can't see from the images how wide it is, but I would rather to get the curb cut back at that corner. Obviously the drivers can't see it when going back down (thinking more about the stamps just bought :D ).

Also, this area should be widened.Minimum 2.5m but wider is better. Get the garden shears out :) .

John -- We'll need to get you over to supervise the work. :)

Found this thread, when giving directions to another member here who is coming over tonight to get his collection re-insured.

I am suggesting he parks in the street. :)

Glen

BrianBURU

Post by BrianBURU »

Previous generations did a lot of construction work that would not pass inspection today. There is no need for any concern, untill the property is demolished and rebuilt.

Even then, there is the issue of property boundaries which, in all likelihood, would make it impossible to comply with current gradient regulations, unless you want an "all driverway with seaview but no house design".

In any case the property is probably on the national heritage register, since it and most of the suburb of Castlecrag was designed in the 1920's by Walter Burley Griffin, also known for penning the plan of Canberra.

I was sorely tempted to buy a property there in the mid 1990's for a measly $A400,000, but the other half objected. We almost became neighbours Glen! On second thoughts, maybe the wife was right! ;)

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

You should have bought it Brian - currently we have Karl Stefanovic as a neighbour. Every time I leave the house I expect to get papped :lol: :shock:
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

castores

Post by castores »

July 2016

First time seeing this thread, started out with a mishap and Marty took it in his stride.

then RIP, sad to read... even after all this time, condolences to the family.

Glen's driveway, I think an earlier post of Glen's suggested all - postie reverses up.
Sounds good to me.

And the growth on the driveway - leave it alone it look great!

If I happen to be up that way I will be sure to visit and I look forward to the steps also.

I will say, most times I park well away from where I'm going just to give myself the extra exercise - makes me laugh when I think of those that actually make time for some exercise but everywhere they go they try to park as close as can be.... go figure.
Short cuts make long delays

castores

Post by castores »

July 2016

First time seeing this thread, started out with a mishap and Marty took it in his stride.

then RIP, sad to read... even after all this time, condolences to the family.

Glen's driveway, I think an earlier post of Glen's suggested all - postie reverses up.
Sounds good to me.

And the growth either side - leave it alone it looks great!

If I happen to be up that way I will be sure to visit and I look forward to the steps also.
Short cuts make long delays

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”