Very major stamp printing error in 2020 Aust. Yearbook

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Major Error in 2020 Australia Post Yearbook

Post by Global Administrator »

That is a superb bird design Greg. :)

I've done a high rez scan of the Australia 2020, Aboriginal Art $1.10 error block 4,"MISSING AUSTRALIA". Added here - I'll try and get this on front cover of next ''Stamp News'' -

Anyone who wants a high quality 4 MEG image of this for their Stamp Club journal or Blogs etc, please email me. ozstamps att gmail dot com

Lots of folks go and buy the most recent year book early year after the Xmas bills have subsided. This year they might get a surprise - a total sell out is pretty certain, so spread the word far and wide. :!: :!:

Australia 2020 stamp, Aboriginal Art $1.10 error block 4,"MISSING AUSTRALIA"

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Allanswood wrote:
03 Dec 2020 22:52
AP produced some lovely stamps this year - which I don't have.

Is this one the regular issue, or the extra large version?

There was one of those limited edition stamp pack things that presented "each beautiful bird image reproduced within the borders of the stamp template but in a larger than usual size" (130mm x 187.5mm).

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
03 Dec 2020 22:19

Glen, it looks like there are multiple configurations giving joined pairs and blocks that did not exist before - the comedy issues were all single image to each sheet stamps, now it's a set as a block of 4.

For a savvy reader, listing up some of those FAST in those formats at say $25 each on ebay etc, will make them an absolute killing.

I will get $200 each for the Aboriginal Painting blocks, and most will go overseas. By Easter, price will of course be higher, as all books will have sold out nationally as word spreads, most never to appear again for decades, and will as always, be left intact.

The other pages are easily saleable at $25 or so each on eBay. Even with face of $4.40.

Does a keen foreign Dinosaur or Opal or Gemstones collector, or Birds collector etc, want to spend $130 or more on a year book, and $50 on shipping - hell no.

Will he spend $A20-$25 on a Hagner sheet sized impressive, and 100% official, PO Mega Mini Sheet with just a few couple dollars mail cost - of COURSE! Do NOT mention their source and many will assume they were an expensive IMPRESSIONS special product etc.

Successful sales, is all about thinking outside the box. :idea: :idea: :idea:

If you collect a Theme, these are PERFECT. Large, impressive, easy to store on a Hagner or stockbook page, and OFFICIAL PO issues in a Limited Form.

For all we know some of these will have different perfs and papers - has anyone checked? If so, more saleable still.

The first member to do the following owes me dinner from the inevitable profits. :)

Glen

Australia Post 2020 "Opalised Fossils" miniature sheet issue in the Dinosaur sized, full page, Super Sized, full page Souvenier Sheet, fresh MUH. NOT buyable singly in this large form from Australia Post, and few are offered globally as you can see.

Perfect Hagner sheet, stockbook or album page size. Fully legal to mail, if you want a postally used one. Buy two - I can use one light cancelled on your sending, on a large sized envelope, and I'll adjust shipping on your invoice. You may well own the only postally used example globally! $A25 each.

Aust 2020 Dinosaur sheet.jpg
AUST 2020 Gunston sheet.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Very major stamp printing error in 2020 Aust. Yearbook

Post by Allanswood »

I wonder how many collectors realise that there are 8 officially issued AP stamps this year that are not in the collection as they only came peel and stick?

The 5 Disaster relief issues.
The Lets Melbourne Again issue and
the When we connect We feel better issues.
australia-2020-disaster-relief-stamps.jpg
Lets Melbourne resized_1500x1500.jpg
when we connect resized_1500x1500.jpg

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Justin
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Error in 2020 Australia Post Yearbook

Post by Justin »

Penguin644 wrote:
03 Dec 2020 14:03

Speaking of 2020 varieties, let me show you (most of) the rest of the Christmas ones. I only collect them on first day covers, so no images of mint stamps.

First the gummed stamps & minisheet:
img277.jpg
img283.jpg

Then the normal self adhesives:
img278.jpg
img278a.jpg

Then the embellished self adhesives, only the wreath+bird & stocking have been embellished with a glossy surface which doesn't show that well in the scan. Has security slits.
img279.jpg
img279a.jpg

Then we have the stamps from the advent calendar, 100% of the surface is glossed, no security slits:
img280.jpg
img280a.jpg

Then there's the personalised versions, no security slits on these either:
img282.jpg

And the mystamps from the advent calendar, just for heck of it:
img281.jpg

Not shown: the Impressions advent calendar mystamps.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
04 Dec 2020 13:02
I wonder how many collectors realise that there are 8 officially issued AP stamps this year that are not in the collection as they only came peel and stick?

Greg they clearly have limitations otherwise purchase price of the Book will be near $200!

Even $129.95 will see many not choosing to opt for it this year - an all time high purchase figure.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Australia Post business meeting:

Person 1: "The 2020 Yearbook has a record high price of $129.95. People won't buy it. How can we ensure it sells out?"

Person 2: "I have an idea ..."

Rigs
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Rigs »

MJ's pet wrote:
04 Dec 2020 16:19
Australia Post business meeting:

Person 1: "The 2020 Yearbook has a record high price of $129.95. People won't buy it. How can we ensure it sells out?"

Person 2: "I have an idea ..."

Possibly, but more likely went like this:

At the printers:

Proofer 1: “We still got more pages to check and Origin starts in half an hour”

Proofer 2: “Looks good to me, let’s get outta’ here!”

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

No, this is a deliberately engineered "printing error". There's more than one "mistake" made.

Stands out like a sore thumb, the country is missing (that's no error) the country is one colour and the year is another so 2 colours missed? The stamp artwork already existed, there was nothing to make up to get the design.

Nobody, at any stage, notice the glaring missing country? No one in design, proofing, signing off, plate making, printing etc?

Reading the notice on the website of the error that was known before the albums were released, the wording only inspires you to believe, "we actually meant it". No recall, no get a refund, no "oops", but we'll send you the real stamp - if you ask? Why ask, just send one anyway!

And there is no bonus mini sheet of an only peel and stick issue as a gummed sheetlet. They've done this sort of bonus for years and now nothing.

The "error" is this years bonus.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

So basically this is an Au$130.00 Prestige Book(-let) containing limited-edition new varieties of the stamp designs issued over the course of the past year, not an "Annual Collection" of the year's stamps as actually issued.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

DJCMH does Colnect list errors like MISSING AUSTRALIA where pretty widely available like this?

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Allanswood wrote:
04 Dec 2020 18:15
No, this is a deliberately engineered "printing error". There's more than one "mistake" made.

Stands out like a sore thumb, the country is missing (that's no error) the country is one colour and the year is another so 2 colours missed? The stamp artwork already existed, there was nothing to make up to get the design.

Nobody, at any stage, notice the glaring missing country? No one in design, proofing, signing off, plate making, printing etc?

Reading the notice on the website of the error that was known before the albums were released, the wording only inspires you to believe, "we actually meant it". No recall, no get a refund, no "oops", but we'll send you the real stamp - if you ask? Why ask, just send one anyway!

And there is no bonus mini sheet of an only peel and stick issue as a gummed sheetlet. They've done this sort of bonus for years and now nothing.

The "error" is this years bonus.

Yes it’s a bit suspicious no doubt, although working in the print game all my life we certainly printed some howlers over the years that were missed by several sets of eyes, with expensive reprints.

The flip side is imagine issuing a stamp featuring a plane and the plane is printed upside down and no one notices?

It happens.

If AP business plan requires errors to excite the market, they really are in dire straits.

$130 too expensive? C’mon, a few bottles of wine - which everyone seems keen to brag about on the wine thread ...

thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by thecloudwatcher »

So, is anyone going to be brave enough to get one of these errors used on cover? ;)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

thecloudwatcher wrote:
04 Dec 2020 20:43

So, is anyone going to be brave enough to get one of these errors used on cover? ;)

Have had 2 clients already had me use them on Registered covers to them, that they will have backstamped on arrival.

Postally used in period will be pretty cool down the track. Our sadly departed friend Rodney Perry would have urged folks to do just that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did a few December 1 First Day Covers as well, that in time will be VERY good items I feel sure. :lol:

I heard this block will be on the front cover of the "Stamp News" mailed out before Christmas, so interest will continue globally.

Kevin Morgan told me today he drove to 5 Post Offices in his area, and not a single book for sale.

Glen
Aust 2020 FDC - December 1.jpg

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Global Administrator wrote:
04 Dec 2020 20:04
DJCMH does Colnect list errors like MISSING AUSTRALIA where pretty widely available like this?
Depending on how the major catalogs list items, the various new pieces such as the print error would end up either being listed in the main stamp catalog (if they are given full catalog status by say Gibbons) or in the Philatelic Products category (as special prints produced by Australia Post only available in the Yearbook).
Last edited by DJCMH on 04 Dec 2020 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

For anyone wishing to confirm the official issue date of the 2020 yearbook, here is the relevant detail from Australia Post website:

apyrbk1.jpg
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Wow that was fast - colnect already has this missing country error listed. :mrgreen:

https://colnect.com/en/stamps/list/variant/968939

VERY impressive. :)

colnect listing of 2020 $1.10 MISSING AUSTRALIA stamp error on Art Of The Desert issue
colnect listing of 2020 $1.10 MISSING AUSTRALIA stamp error on Art Of The Desert issue

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

MargoZ wrote:
04 Dec 2020 21:17
For anyone wishing to confirm the official issue date of the 2020 yearbook, here is the relevant detail from Australia Post website:

And bullet point number 1 is wrong. :shock:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Greg I said EXACTLY the same thing to Margo when she posted it. :mrgreen:

VERY lazy copywriting at AP.

Includes all REGULAR stamps was far more wise.

Wonder how many folks contact AP and ask for a free normal non-error stamp? I bet they demand receipts, and most do not bother to retain those. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AP 2020 Year Book free set promise.JPG

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

04 Dec 2020 22:02
Wonder how many folks contact AP and ask for a free normal non-error stamp? I bet they demand receipts, and most do not bother to retain those. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did that diligently today.

Question though, Re registered covers above, how would u send an example postally used in period that is non philatelic?

Apologies if question is hopelessly naive.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rigs wrote:
04 Dec 2020 22:15

Re Registered covers above, how would u send an example postally used in period that is non philatelic?

The Year Books were not officially issued until December 1 - see green Box above and Margo's AP excerpt above that. That was when this error was first issued.

A 250g to 500g large letter costs $5.50. (i.e. the A4 size letter I sent you last week type size) indeed a smaller A5 size envelope weighing 251 grams also costs exactly $5.50 and easily fits a Hagner page etc. This block 4 is $5.50 face.

This block 4 affixed, pays exact postage rate for such an A4/A5 letter. Indeed If mailed tomorrow, it was legally mailed at exact correct rate, within a week of being issued etc.

Getting such pieces BACKSTAMPED on arrival is really essential as proof. Many print out the PO tracking path as well from their website.

I've just emailed the SG Catalogue Editor to update him on this issue.

Glen

Aust 2020 $1.10 Missing Country block 12-20.jpg HORIZ.jpg

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

04 Dec 2020 22:21
Rigs wrote:
04 Dec 2020 22:15

Re Registered covers above, how would u send an example postally used in period that is non philatelic?

The Year Books were not officially issued until December 1 - see green Box above and Margo's AP excerpt above that. That was when this error was first issued.

A 250g to 500g large letter costs $5.50. (i.e. the A4 size letter I sent you last week type size) indeed a smaller A5 size envelope weighing 251 grams also costs exactly $5.50 and easily fits a Hagner page etc. This block 4 is $5.50 face.

This block affixed pays exact postage rate for such an A4 letter. Or indeed If mailed tomorrow, it was legally mailed within a week of being issued etc.

I've just emailed the SG Catalogue Editor to update him on this issue.

Glen

Cool - loved the stamps btw, and the freebie

Catweazle

Re: Error in 2020 Australia Post Yearbook

Post by Catweazle »

Justin wrote:
04 Dec 2020 14:44
Penguin644 wrote:
03 Dec 2020 14:03

Speaking of 2020 varieties, let me show you (most of) the rest of the Christmas ones. I only collect them on first day covers, so no images of mint stamps.

First the gummed stamps & minisheet:

Then the normal self adhesives:

Then the embellished self adhesives, only the wreath+bird & stocking have been embellished with a glossy surface which doesn't show that well in the scan. Has security slits.

Then we have the stamps from the advent calendar, 100% of the surface is glossed, no security slits:

Then there's the personalised versions, no security slits on these either:

And the mystamps from the advent calendar, just for heck of it:

Not shown: the Impressions advent calendar mystamps.
Aha, but you missed out on the Impressions additions for 2020 too. Or are you skimping on the PNCs this year? :lol:

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

By the way, for those who tried driving around to their local post offices only to find nothing - could you try ordering online? They're not out of stock yet!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

It's going to be interesting considering that throughout the year different printers and different papers have been used for the regular gummed stamps - so which printer produced the album? There must (!) be some differences in the results, even just the question of phosphor tagging?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Just heard from SG Catalogue Editor that these Missing AUSTRALIA will be listed and priced in the next SG Australia catalogue he is working on now.

... the 'AUSTRALIA' omitted will be a guaranteed listing. It is a similar situation to the 13p Christmas stamp of 1988 (SG 1414a) over here, which also only appeared in yearbooks.

They are £12,500 each in SG mint. FDC are near as high. I clearly recall many at the time sniggered and said they would be a 3 week wonder flash in the pan, and were of little real interest to anyone, and were just no account modern cr*p. Hmmmm.

These can be $A20,000 pieces today.

Capture.JPG

xmas.JPG

MarkM

Post by MarkM »

My wife tried to buy an executive copy from our local AP shop this week for my birthday, only to be told that because they are AP owned and not a franchise that they never got any and were told that they won’t be getting any due to the error. They also said that the franchise owners could sell them but that they couldn’t. At least that is what she was told.

That’s ok as I ordered one over the weekend as an early Christmas present to myself.
Last edited by MarkM on 09 Dec 2020 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I walked into mine (AP) and she asked did I want the deluxe or exec, they have both. There is no holding back because of the error as they all have them (they didn't know about any error though). Different story in Canberra, they went all weird with "delays due to the error", "you know there's an error?" "I think they got sent back" etc. But they still had last years Exec and Delux.

I bought a 2020 Deluxe, my standing order Exec should be on the way along with 3 more Deluxe as mail order did not say "OOS".

I don't mind buying all they have locally if others are getting desperate, just pay the issue price and postage and a coffee!

I'm going to post myself some "special" commercial mail (coff). :lol:

TonyL
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by TonyL »

Hi All,

Exiting new Varieties. As I mainly collect varieties I have a question for other members.

I do not normally collect year books, but this year I did thanks to the very quick heads-up from stampboard members here. :D

I am looking at removing the sheets from the album and placing them in a format that fits in with my collection and hence my question.

How to cut them out ?

My thoughts are;

1. neatly cut the full sheet out using the spine as I guide and then trimming the border off the remaining three sides, removing the coloured boarder back to the actual page design. This should make them all uniformed in size and format.

OR

2. Remove the stamps that are clearly not a miniature sheet format, (no border) and mount as they are and miniature sheets to be cut out along design edge.

Your thoughts on this are most welcomed.

Kind Regards,

TonyL.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Tony there are no rules of course!

I made this Hagner page Souvenir sheet out of a Mini sheet, that looked pretty cool I thought!

Easy to store and handle.

Bigger than that - little purpose really?

TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Thanks Glen,

The one you illustrated does look good. Can you advise what size you cut the sheet to.

Also in regards to the stamps that are not Miniature sheets do you feel the same format for them?

The reason I ask is that I noticed on your "rarities page" you have illustrated the Arts block of 4 with no selvage at all.

I wonder whether it would be prudent to wait until they are listed in a catalogue to see what the preferred format might be.

Cheers,

TonyL.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well no selvedge for that one makes perfect sense, (to me anyway!) as it will be SG listed as with AUSTRALIA and without AUSTRALIA - as single stamps of course

An overseas member asked me to do one like this today for him. Postally used in the week after issue of the albums, and he will get it backstamped when it arrives overseas.

This was it before I licked them down! I'll ask him if he wants the block or just the 2 x singles alongside each other.

Australia 2020 Aboriginal Art Block 4 on overseas Registered cover
Australia 2020 Aboriginal Art Block 4 on overseas Registered cover

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

10 Dec 2020 12:37
Tony there are no rules of course!
Quite so.

I guess my first question is :
Are you cutting them up for "joy of ownership" (i.e. your aesthetics) or "hope of return" (i.e. cash to cash)?

(Full marks to Auspost, of course, as they have doubled the number of new issues punters have to buy, in one fell swoop, and put a planned flaw in there, to make it "virtually compulsory". Cartier watches all round, I'd suggest :D).

First up, whilst you can go head over heels about the value of the GB 13p stamp, it wasn't noticed at the time of issue, there are only 10 mint and three used out there (and yet possibly "a hundred in books, never checked, yet!), so their rarity rides high on a very few "well heeled individuals".

That's not the case here.

Make no mistake, this is a modern (comparative) rarity you need to buy "at about face", if possible (and maybe trade a couple of sets, to pay for it all), but the gold rush will probably peak just after xmas, and prices return to more normal levels mid next year, when people know "what the available pool is, versus long term demand".

They might, after all, choose to reprint the book "without the error", giving purists "a third whole set of stamps to buy, as a lump" :(

What's the market? Well, there are the traditional whole yearbook collectors, there are the "on cover" collectors, that will want a set of each, but there are also the mint and used collectors, who will need sets as they were produced in a different format. Short term, and with stamp fever, that's a spike where we will see "some silly prices".

Those that act fast should make the most. I expect people to be "in and out" by end of Q1 next year, and for many, that might even be this year end. (Filleting yearbooks, for their caviar, can give you "free postage" for the whole of 2021!!).

Certainly, if I were buying and selling them, then things like the Sheriffs cover are going to be most desireable "across a wide range of customers" on an enduring basis. (As he notes - No one wants the lumpy $130 a pop, but a $30 subset is "an ideal xmas gift").

From our experiences of UK mini sheets, and traffic light gutter pairs, which both waxed and waned a bit over the duration, we can see that there is often a tidal wave of interest upfront, especially with modern media
interest.

Who would have thought AusPost could have everyone invested $130 ($260 / $390) in fixed value stamps by the end of 2020? Bravo :D .

When sending out post at the moment, I'm actually burning up a load of old miniature sheets (that were once popular, but are now just "discount postage"). I've found that there is a sub-class of collector that wants these, not fully showing the whole sheet, but with "just sufficient margin, to show it came from a miniature sheet". Apparently, it fits their album layouts better.

london.jpg
London 1980 Miniature Sheets - Forty years on, still popular with collectors.

So, fill your boots, with whatever you can get....
If they rise, you'll do well, and if they don't rise, well, you can still trim them onto parcels and delight customers with highly collectable examples of "format 2, 2020".

But, other than your own needs, for your own enjoyment, cash in "at an appropriate moment", to bring the net cost of your holding to zero ... then you'll be happy, "whatever rollercoaster they ride". :D

Happy hunting.

TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Thanks Viccy for your valued views.

I personally am looking for a more aesthetic look as the Year books do nothing for me and they do not entice me to take them of the bookshelf to look at as much as my stamp albums do.

Also there is the value side of the equation, as mush as the aesthetics are important I certainly do not want to devalue them in getting the right look. The children would not be happy :lol:

I do agree with your thoughts on AP and there new tactics to ensure all 2020 Year Books are sold this year, a deliberate variety by them no matter what they say to the contrary ensuring high interest from collectors and punters alike.

I did manage to acquire a few copies and will break them up and sell as individual "not so Miniature Sheets" for a quick sale. 8-)

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. :D

Cheers,

TonyL.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

MarkM wrote:
09 Dec 2020 23:14

My wife tried to buy an executive copy from our local AP shop this week for my birthday, only to be told that because they are AP owned and not a franchise that they never got any and were told that they won’t be getting any due to the error.

They also said that the franchise owners could sell them but that they couldn’t. At least that is what she was told.

That sounds very logical actually.

Has anyone bought one for an OFFICIAL AP Post Office and not an LPO??

They can "demand" their own staffers return such items where needed, but good luck with 100 independently owned LPOs spread across the Continent!

My postmaster told me there were all sorts of complaints from some POs they could order none in, and this might be the reason?

Glen

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I'll ask again when I go out in about an hour, but I bought mine (deluxe not exec) at the AP PO in town.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Be an interesting update Greg. :)

I was told all official POs were advised to RETURN them and sell no more. At what point in the process I am not sure.

So they might have had a small initial sales window perhaps?

Glen

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Well both are still listed on the AP website as available. The only reason I can think of to send them back would be to fulfil mail order sales.

I'm actually still waiting for my standing order exec to arrive - which has me emailing them asking where it might be. Although I have an email now that there is a pickup waiting - but that could be the 3 "deluxe" albums I ordered as well, separately.

(How can you call something "deluxe" when there is no standard?) :roll:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The website will have them until sold out - of course.

Whether for the past week or so one can buy them in person at an OFFICIAL Post Office was what seems not be the case.

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

I picked up 3 copies from the Kilmore LPO last week and picked another up for a friend yesterday.

They still had more available at that time.

We had a breakup for the stamp club in a park in Essendon last night and several members had ordered online but none had received them yet. I was curious if they would include the replacement stamps in the shipment or not.

I rang AP about the replacements and talked to a bewildered operator who knew nothing about it. I explained what their site had said so he looked it up online then went off to ask a supervisor. Several minutes later the call was dropped. I then decided to send an email to the address supplied and all I have so far is an automated reply.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

11 Dec 2020 12:27

Whether for the past week or so one can buy them in person at an OFFICIAL Post Office was what seems not be the case.
As I said in a previous post - I bought one 2 days ago at my official AP PO.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Allanswood wrote:
11 Dec 2020 13:57
11 Dec 2020 12:27

As I said in a previous post - I bought one 2 days ago at my official AP PO.
Happened to be in Port Macquarie PO today (official AP office) and enquired out of curiosity - they still had a couple.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I just bought another Black Executive edition at my PO, just in case they have "lost" my 35 year standing order. :shock:

swampscum
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by swampscum »

I have managed to buy a copy at both a LPO and Aust post office, so i guess they are still out there

norvic

Post by norvic »

I've tried to order one via the AP website, and it's in my cart.

I've registered, and entered two addresses in my address book - one for delivery, one for billing.

But when I try to set the default for either on the Dashboard page,

dashboard
dashboard

The subsequent details page doesn't allow for selection from address book, and when you start typing it only allows for domestic addresses, by searching the AP address database.

Personal details, with addresses.
Personal details, with addresses.

'Manage address book' allows for edit, but not to set either as default.

Address book
Address book

Does anybody have an alternative method to set addresses. If I go to checkout it appears to want me to enter the addresses independently.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [Now re-open!]

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Hi Ian

I wonder if this is because you don't have an Australian address?

I tried to set up an account last week and had a lot of trouble because it recognised my email address and blocked a new account but wouldn't let me revive the old account - it eventually worked but I'm not sure how - serendipity I think rather than good management.

Typical Australia Post :roll:
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Norvic, I'm not sure you actually need "an account" to buy off AusPost.

(Can't you just buy "as a guest", using Paypal?).

On the AusPost Shop site ....
Search for <year book>, add to basket
Add international post, at AUD $9
Elect to pay by Paypal, and they get all your details electronically (including Country).
UK cost would be £82.39

(Continue, to confirm) ..... I aborted at that step, as I don't know anyone who wants one (here in Blighty)!!

Both were in stock 5 minutes ago.

MarkM

Post by MarkM »

`.
Mine has been delivered and while I happy to have it, while flicking through it I realised that there is something missing. Not the error, that is in place, but the feeling, that I had suspected would occur when I made comment a week or so ago, of incompleteness with the whole process.

For 40 years I have received my albums either as a gifts, or outright buying them myself. Then came the enjoyment as I waded through the sleeve of stamps and put them into their correct place in the album.

Now I have just unwrapped it, had a look at the pages, and put it in my bookcase with the others.

While it may seem a bit odd what I am saying, but with this format that last part, that small interaction is missing. It feels a bit like I have received a coffee table book which has had no input from me and so my small investment in making it as it should be is not there.

It feels weird.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

MarkM wrote:
12 Dec 2020 11:45
Mine has been delivered and while I happy to have it, while flicking through it I realised that there is something missing. Not the error, that is in place, but the feeling, that I had suspected would occur when I made comment a week or so ago, of incompleteness with the whole process.

For 40 years I have received my albums either as a gifts, or outright buying them myself. Then came the enjoyment as I waded through the sleeve of stamps and put them into their correct place in the album. Now I have just unwrapped it, had a look at the pages, and put it in my bookcase with the others.

For some issues, AP might not have enough leftovers. Presumably, though, the real reason is that it is cheaper to reprint all of the stamps and bind them into the book. Less time consuming and saves money. Being a completely new reprint, there are also new sales to be made from people who want/need regular P.O. issues and Yearbook reprints. The creation of new-format mini-sheets (or panes) suggests this was a powerful $$reason$$ also.

MarkM

Post by MarkM »

MJ's pet wrote:
12 Dec 2020 12:00
MarkM wrote:
12 Dec 2020 11:45

For 40 years I have received my albums either as a gifts, or outright buying them myself. Then came the enjoyment as I waded through the sleeve of stamps and put them into their correct place in the album. Now I have just unwrapped it, had a look at the pages, and put it in my bookcase with the others.

For some issues, AP might not have enough leftovers. Presumably, though, the real reason is that it is cheaper to reprint all of the stamps and bind them into the book. Less time consuming and saves money. Being a completely new reprint, there are also new sales to be made from people who want/need regular P.O. issues and Yearbook reprints. The creation of new-format mini-sheets (or panes) suggests this was a powerful $$reason$$ also.
MJ, I get what you are saying. It is just hard to change a 40 year habit that has brought joy, even in small amounts :D

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”