Zimbabwe - Inflation and postage stamp postal rates

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GJ50
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Zimbabwe - Inflation and postage stamp postal rates

Post by GJ50 »

Zimbabwe Central Bank issues a $200,000 note to cope with inflation.
Exchange rate $US1.00 = $Z100,000.

The article also said Mugabe lopped 3 zeros off the local currency a yr ago.

It also said the year end inflation could top 100,000% by end of the year.

I saw some covers out of Zimbabwe to Australia a while back, no stamps, just PO impressions. Obviously they are not doing a early 20th century Germany with overprints.
sherro
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by sherro »

How long can this goose stay in power? How long is a piece of string.

It sounds trite (imagine being Zimbabwean at the moment :shock: ), but what a shame philatelists won't see something to hold on to.
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

The real rate is about double the "official" rate I heard on radio last week.

Why 250,000 Americans (and Australian) troops are in Iraq acheiving nothing at all for many years, and not one is in Zimbabwe is one of life's mysteries. :twisted:

Oh wait .. Zimbabwe has no oil .............. :shock:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

Glen you are a cynic.... And our aussie cricketers were willing to go there until Little Johnny said, "No way, jose."
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Bill as I recall the reality was ACB signed a watertight agreement for the tour ages back and the PENALTY if they chose to pull out was millions in lost TV rights etc.

Which would have largely gone to the Regime.

The Gov't here in name only BANNED them going effectively, allegedly refusing to issue them travel authorities etc, hence the ZIMS need to sue the Feds not ACB, and of course that will never occur.

There were some pretty loud sighs of relief from many in cricket as I recall. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
mikbatwine
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by mikbatwine »

THIS ATTACHMENT IS A LETTER ISSUED BY THE RHODESIAN GOVERNMENT OF THE DAY FOR RESIDENTS TO SEND TO THEIR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS EXTOLLING THE VIRTUES OF LIVING IN SOUTHERN RHODESIA DATED MAY 1965.

If the print is to small will try to enlarge it
Mike
ANTE HONOREM EST HUMILITAS
vasia
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by vasia »

Very interesting document, indicative of the times where "we" meant exclusively the white population of Rhodesia. I am sure the majority black population did not lead "a wonderful life", did not take "wonderful breaks" in the countryside on the weekends and did not live in houses with swimming pools. Many of them were in fact what the leaflet says: "everyone has one or more domestic servants". An obedient workforce so that a small minority could enjoy with ease their "hobbies and interests". With this kind of history I would be very cautious in my judgements about present-day Zimbabwe and, even more, about "suggesting" the need for the intervention of American or Australian troops.
stampnut
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by stampnut »

And have not Mugabe's cronies now taken the place of the small white elite of the previous regime?

It's all very Animal Farm if you know what I mean.
COLIN
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by COLIN »

Hi All

As a near neighbour to Zimbabwe (6 hours drive) i believe i can make a comment that is not based on opinion or speculation. and please note my comments are not meant to anger or denigrate, and i appologise in advance if there are any ruffled feathers out there.

Firstly - the stamps.

I have just received some of the latest units now valued at ZM$375000.00 - postage from Zim is scarce as most people cant afford to eat never mind post letters. I am currently sending money up to My Branch in ZIM and i am getting the staff there to make up postage items that represent the current postage rates and post to me.

Now the facts.

Zim is in a state of collapse - IT IS BANKRUPT - todays news stated that the banks are now limiting the amount of cash that can be drawn. the problem is not with printing more cash (they have been doing that for some time) but they can not afford to buy the paper and ink to print the cash. Bartering is starting to come to the fore as a means of trade. Zim cash is no longer accepted for trade,

there are no commodities available since the government forced the retailers to cut their prices by 50% - no profit means no body was ordering = shelves totaly and i mean totaly empty

There is hardly any petrol as they cant afford to pay the foreign currency.

Electricity supplies are been cut off same reason as before. Hospitals collapsing, ditto reason

There are more Illegal Zim citizens in RSA then in ZIM. A lot of RSA's crime is commited by the aliens from Zim and Mozambique. many of the criminals that are caught are actually military out of their country on leave (legal or illegal) and are down in RSA on a "shopping trip"

Zim used to be a breadbasket exporter in the region - today it is a weed filled scrapheap.

Many black Zimbabweans look at the previous regime with fondness and wish that things were as they were 20 years ago. This is based on my actual observations and communications. Why you say?

1 - there was food for all, starvation practically unknown - in 2000 highly efficient commercial farms were confiscated and dished out to old mates - today those farms stand derelect and fallow, machinery has been sold off for cars and practically no effort has been put in by the new owners to turn the situation around - the only output that is still coming, is from the last "white owned farms" that are still in existence

2 - one of the lowest unemployment levels in Africa - today the highest

3 - Hospitals were efficient and good - today hovels

4- education of a high level - today hardly any kids go to school as they are too busy trying to get something to eat.

the list can go on and on. freedom is one thing but basic human needs like food tend to take precedence over politics.

Current inflation is about 8000% and rising

A basic explanation of Hyperinflation is that there is two much cash and not a enough goods and services available.

BASIC TIMELINE

1) In late 90's Mugabe gave zim $50000.00 ea to all his freedom fighters - at this time it was worth about US$5000.00. Zim did not have the cash so the started printing cash - start of inflation.

2) Early 2000's Mugabe confiscated white owned farms to give to his freedom fighters and cronies - hyperinflation and collapse of agriculture and commerce

3) Latest is that there is a motion in parliament that is going to force companies to hand over ownership of 51% shares to cronies (this includes 25% for the government)

Who knows what Mugabe can do next as he has not got much left (please refer the reign of IDI AMIN for a similar situation)

Zimbabwe, once one of the jewels in africa is now a ruin

Now from a philatelic point of view, Zim has to be one of the hotties right now due to the hyperinflation. I study the effects of hyperinflation in Germany in 1922/23 and Hungary in the post war era and Zim is giving me a whole new area of study

As postage is scarce it is in my opinion an area that will definitely give a fair return in the future.

One last point - Ian Smith the last white prime minister of Rhodesia has died today in Cape Town at the age of 88

Rgds

Tattoo man
President - Edenvale Philatelic Society -South Africa
Vice President - Region 2 - Philatelic Federation of South Africa
sherro

Post by sherro »

Thanks for that insight. It's a tragic situation that deserves international input. A slap on the wrist from the Commonwealth hasn't helped. Mind you, Zimbabwe should be glad that their resources are low or Dubya would be there in a flash.

Sad.

When I was a kid Ian Smith was arch-enemy number one in the UK for his unilateral declaration of independence. I wonder what history will have to say about him in light of recent developments.
Always looking for KGV British Commonwealth, mint, used, covers, anything
GJ50

Post by GJ50 »

I have just received some of the latest units now valued at ZM$375000.00 - postage from Zim is scarce as most people cant afford to eat never mind post letters. I am currently sending money up to My Branch in ZIM and i am getting the staff there to make up postage items that represent the current postage rates and post to me.
I can confirm the scarcity, as last month when I was at the South African National Exhibition Pezapex 2007 in Port Elizabeth I asked all the dealers and not one had any of this material.
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi GJ

I was also at Pezapex for the PFSA congress. Maybe we ran into each other.

Rgds

Tattoo Man
GJ50

Post by GJ50 »

Colin

Being an aussie guest of the organising committee, I stayed out of local politics and went to Addo for the day. After judging for 3 days it was enjoyable seeing the large number of elephants that are in the park
erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

Colin,

Interesting info. Just goes to show you that criminals and dictators come in all colors. (I prefer mine in blue, thanks.)

Would you be willing/able to send some Zim covers to someone who would pay for the materials + something for the trouble of getting them? Or trade something of philatelic interest to you?
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

GJ

were you at the PALMARES dinner?
GJ50

Post by GJ50 »

You mean the rugby TV night !!!
Yes was there
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi Erich

i am busy trying to obtain as much material as possible and once i know what i have i will be able to make a call.

send me your e-mail details and i will get in touch

Rgds

COLIN
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

GJ

I am the nutcase that was wearing the springbok hat

HE HE
GJ50

Post by GJ50 »

Colin
I was one of the 2 aussies drinking beer and not really that interested in the Rugby, thou Coen and Patrick F were trying their hardest.
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

good on yer

it shows you what a small world it is.

Rgds

Colin
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi Latest update on Zimbabwe as seen in our local News 22/11/2007

Harare - Zimbabwe is to introduce new bank notes to replace temporary currency and ease widespread cash shortages, the inflation-ravaged country's central bank governor said on Wednesday.

He displayed specimen Zimbabwe dollar notes which would replace bearer cheques - essentially money printed on ordinary paper - that were introduced in 2003 as a temporary expedient.

"Last time around we removed three zeros and they quickly returned," Gideon Gono said during a briefing in the capital, referring to the slashing of three zeros from currency denominations last year.

"This time your governor will remove one, two or three zeros and also make sure that they will not return," he pledged, but without announcing any other new measures to stop the country's runaway inflation.

"The Reserve Bank has now put all the machinery in place, to enable the implementation of a short and precise change-over programme, which would be completed in a matter of few days," he said.

In July last year, the central bank knocked off three zeros from the country's currency in a bid to help consumers battling with sackfuls of money for ordinary shopping.

By repeating the exercise, Gono intends to improve efficiency of cash transactions and ease the pressure on bank systems which were struggling to read the extra zeros in the currency.

Over the past week, Zimbabweans have endured hours in long queues for money due to cash shortages which Gono blamed on the parallel market.

"With a total of 58 trillion Zimbabwe dollars (1.9 US billion) in cash currently in issue and in circulation, the current shortages are principally a result of underground parallel market trading activities," he said.

"With immediate effect, therefore, all holders of excess cash must deposit some back in the formal system in order to avoid serious and perilous losses when their hoarded loot turns into useless manure."

Zimbabwe is in the throes of an economic crisis characterised by an annual inflation rate of nearly 8 000 percent, shortages of basic foodstuffs like sugar and cooking oil, and mass unemployment.

Earlier this month Gono told the state-run Sunday Mail newspaper that he had shelved plans to introduce a new currency and wanted to direct efforts towards increasing supply of goods and services.

"Although all the preparations are in place, the launch is not until next year," Gono said.

"Some people have already burnt their fingers by trying to offload the Zimbabwe dollar for the greenback at ridiculous rates. They thought they were beating the governor, but tough luck.

"What I can say is, relax guys. But at the same time, the country should be on high alert for only the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe and its principals know when the lightning bolt will strike."

Since September, the local unit has officially been pegged at 30 000 dollars against the greenback, although on the black market is has slid to about 950 000 against the US dollar.

Last month, Gono had said the central bank would phase out the cash in circulation.

He warned businesses and individuals against keeping huge sums of money, saying that they would risk losing it as the central bank will impose strict deposit thresholds during the changeover to the new currency. - Sapa-AFP
rainerb
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by rainerb »

When Zimbabwe revalued their currency last year to chop three zeros off, they issued a 1cent note. Having a 1cent note in circulation when the exchange rate has hit $4million = 1 USD is quite incredible. It must surely be the world's least value bank note.
lbs
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by lbs »

Bush bashing on a stamp board? US politics and oil when talking about Zimbabwe and stamps?

Guess the thread got hijacked or is it now 'proper' to post stuff like that on these kind of threads?

If so, I am more than willing to put up a nice post on that as well.

If I wanted to read those sorts of topics, I'd go to other web sites or other threads here as well.

Let's keep it to stamps!
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi Lbs

Thanks for your comments and opinion (everybody is entitled to this)

However. pleaser read the thread from the beginning and you will see that this is dedicated to the hyperinflation (that is on going) in Zimababwe and how this WILL have an effect on the postage rates within that country.

Rgds
sherro

Post by sherro »

We've had this discussion on the board before. This thread is about inflation in Zimbabwe. Surely all aspects of that are important to a full understanding of the issue?

Yes, this is a stamp board, but it is also a community, where we should be willing to exchange views on all manner of things.
Always looking for KGV British Commonwealth, mint, used, covers, anything
Slayer
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Slayer »

Hi,
Hope this covers add a little bit of interest to a good debate.

When Rhodesia declared UDI in November 1965, many sanctions were enacted against the government of Ian Smith- one of which was the denouncement, as illegal, of Rhodesian stamps on mail to the UK.

Cover above from 24 July 1970 has a whopping 1s10d surcharge added plus a lovely red label advising of the illegality of the stamps if used from Rhodesia to UK.
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Zimbabwe - Inflation

Post by GlenStephens »

GJ50 wrote:Zimbabwe Central Bank issues a $200,000 note to cope with inflation.

Saw on ABC TV news they just issued $500,000 and $750,000 notes.

Wonder what the highest stamp face value is now?
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

GlenStephens wrote:
GJ50 wrote:Zimbabwe Central Bank issues a $200,000 note to cope with inflation.

Saw on ABC TV news they just issued $500,000 and $750,000 notes.

Wonder what the highest stamp face value is now?
I think the $750,000 note has an 'official' exchange rate of something over US$6 but only a few cents on the black market. Can't be long before a $1 million note.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Have only recently started to read this thread
and COLIN's input has shed quite a bit of lighton hyperinflation
- something we learned in Economics class and somehow put at the back of the mind.
I cannot imagine it hitting such dimensions.
Makes you want to cry for the Zimbabweans (hope I got that right).

COLIN, if you can get those covers as mentioned and they don't cost a bomb,
I would be interested in getting one - more for historical reasons.
If I can't afford one, a scan of one would do just as well.

Cheers
Andrew
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi All

No news yet. postage even now is very scarce.

I will contact all interested parties as soon as i have some news. Hopefully soon

Rgds

Colin
David_Giles

Post by David_Giles »

It is sad to note that in 1965, Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) EXPORTED food to other African countries. Truly pathetic.
Eric Casagrande

Post by Eric Casagrande »

ozstamps wrote:
Why 250,000 Americans (and Australian) troops are in Iraq acheiving nothing at all for many years, and not one is in Zimbabwe is one of life's mysteries. :twisted:

Oh wait .. Zimbabwe has no oil .............. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truer words were never spoken.
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

David they exported food - heavily - a LONG way past 1965 IIRC.

I first visited there in the mid 80s and it was just starting to get a bit threadbare then.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Eric Casagrande

I was just watching the BBC news (yes we get it here), on television, and there was a news story about how it cost about $5,000,000 to purchase a hamburger.

Time to become a vegetarian.

The exchange rate is about 30,000 to 1 USD.
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Eric

the $30000.00 ex rate you mentioned is the official exchange rate. the black market exchange rate is heading 3x to 4x that and that is what the normal people are using.

Rgds

Colin
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi All here are 3 new news items on Zimbabwe

Zimbabweans race to cash in old notes

Harare - Zimbabweans battled Sunday to change temporary currency into new banknotes before it becomes worthless on December 31, as the country's central bank tries to tackle a shortage of cash in the country.

Bearer cheques, essentially money printed on ordinary paper, were introduced in 2003 as a temporary expedient measure to ease currency shortages caused by skyrocketing inflation, and expire at the end of the year.

Banks opened extraordinarily this weekend to cope with customer demand, made worse by the fact that Z$200,000 (about R50) bank notes will also become worthless on December 31.

They are being replaced by Z$250,000, Z$500,000 and Z$750,000 notes, in a move announced only last week by the central bank as the latest effort to tackle Zimbabwe's cash shortages.

Central bank governor Gideon Gono admitted in the state-run Sunday Mail that it will not be possible for everyone to get their money in time.

"It is against this reality that we have said banks would be open, not only on Sunday and Monday, but also on Tuesday and Wednesday -- that is on Christmas and Boxing Day," he told the newspaper.

One irate customer, Enoch Dube, said that despite waiting in line for hours, he had so far failed to access his money.

"Yesterday (Saturday) I was number 500 on the line and I got nothing," Dube told AFP. "Today I am again in the line and I do not know if I will get anything despite that I was here" from early hours of the morning.

Zimbabwe is in the eighth year of economic recession characterised by record inflation and high unemployment which has reduced at least 80 percent of the population to living below the poverty threshold. - Sapa-AFP

Published on the web by Business Report on December 24, 2007.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© Business Report 2007. All rights reserved.
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

No 2

Zim police arrest 'cash baroness'

Harare - Police in the capital Harare arrested a woman in possession of 10 billion Zimbabwean dollars of new banknotes, just two day after they were released onto the market, state media reported on Sunday.

The unidentified woman is linked to a high-ranking official, the Sunday Mail confirmed. The money is worth $333 000 (about R2,3-million) on the official market,

The 24-year-old was arrested on Saturday when police noticed her driving suspiciously fast through an area notorious for illegal foreign-currency deals and prostitution.

Though she initially told the police she survived by selling eggs, the woman was found to have 10 billion dollars of new 500 000-denomination notes stashed in the back of her car.

The note was first released to banks late on Thursday, after Reserve Bank Governor Gideon Gono announced he was withdrawing the popular 200 000 dollar note - then the highest denomination - in a bid to outwit cash hoarders, who he alleged included government officials.

Gono blames the so-called cash barons for the shortages of notes, that have meant many Zimbabweans are unable to find cash to pay for basic necessities. - Sapa
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

No 3

Zim inflation going 'off the chart'

By Peta Thornycroft

Zimbabwe is entering "totally uncharted territory", the International Monetary Fund's new mission chief Robert Sharer told ambassadors at a meeting in Harare last week.

He noted there had been an "exponential upswing" in inflation since March - comparable to that in Germany's post-World War 1 Weimar Republic before its demise.

"The past is prologue" was the IMF veteran's forecast - the authorities would continue "muddling through". His comments followed a research visit of three IMF economists to Harare this week.

He told diplomats he found it "interesting" that neither finance minister Samuel Mumbengegwi nor central bank governor Gideon Gono made any efforts to meet them. But the private sector was "very dynamic" and he admired their "survivability and entrepreneurial spirit".

Diplomats asked him what should be done to provide a soft landing for the poorest in the economy if economic sense ever returned and there was a dramatic re-entry into the international arena. For example, would prices rocket if controls were lifted?

"What do you want to protect people from? The World Food Programme is already feeding half the country while there is little or no service delivery when it comes to health and utilities. The faster the reforms come the better," he replied.

Diplomats interpreted him to mean that wealthy urban Zimbabweans, including the ruling Zanu-PF, have little idea how most Zimbabweans are already operating outside of the economy and have become totally dependent on outside help.

Manufacturing and retail industries have shrunk so much that Zimbabwe is now able to provide essentials, including food, for only a minority of the population.

A study by the Global Poverty Research Group last year showed that 50 percent of all urban people are surviving either on remittances or food from relatives working outside Zimbabwe.

And this was long before the government froze prices in July this year, further destroying production.

Now many commentators and workers in foreign humanitarian NGOs believe that almost every family in Zimbabwe depends on remittances from relatives, mostly in South Africa.

This week Gono, who has been heading the central bank for the most disastrous three years of its life and who controls the economy launched another binge of finger pointing and currency changing.

He withdrew the highest denomination note of ZIM$200 000 from circulation and replaced it with three others, for ZIM$250 000, ZIM$500 000 and ZIM$750 000.

None of these impressive-sounding notes can buy US 50 cents, or a bar of soap, which costs about ZIM$5-million.

Gono said he has decided not to chop off zeroes from the currency, as he did last year when computer systems crashed because excessive noughts were incompatible with accounting systems.

He was not repeating this because he said commercial operators had taken advantage of the change to send prices "soaring".

He also increased the amount of cash customers could withdraw from the banks from the equivalent of R20 a day to R160. This was only after weeks of bank customers queuing for hours and even sleeping overnight outside banks, hoping to get at their cash.

Beatrice Mtetwa, president of Zimbabwe's Law Society, said the central bank was using what she described as "deliberate control over people's lives. It is not coincidental that this is happening over the annual Christmas and end-of-year holidays. The effect of the controls will prevent urban people travelling to their rural homes". Most opposition supporters live in urban areas.

"The limits on cash withdrawals are an assault on property rights and also affect people's ability to purchase items for sustenance. Every aspect of a human being's most basic rights is affected by the central bank's controls," Mtetwa said.

Harare economist and former president of the Zimbabwe National Chamber of Commerce, Luxon Zembe, said the present shortage of cash and the suffering endured by the poor is "pathetic".

Gono said he was doing it to curb the black market trade in foreign currency. But, critics say he is the central player in the forex scrum, which he denies.

This article was originally published on page 14 of The Cape Argus on December 23, 2007
malcolm197
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by malcolm197 »

I work with a number of Zimbabweans, and I can confirm that none of them are intending to go back and live there while a certain President is in power ( some of them DARE not ).

A big problem not touched on in this thread is the brain-drain. One of the guys is a qualified accountant ( working as a warehouse labourer here - but hoping to break into accountancy ), and he says that the vast majority of his contemporaries from higher education leave the country asap ,( many just across the border to South Africa), as their skills just do not get the rewards they deserve because of the inflation. Unless inflation is brought under control this will never be reversed - also I get the impression that the better educated are regarded with some suspicion by the ruling class ( presumably because they are able to see through the wool which is being put across their eyes by the propaganda).

The deeper the mire becomes the more difficult it will be to dig themselves out - and they will not be able to do this without outside help - and at present no one wants to help.

Postal History will be very interesting ( and possibly quite valuable ) there are not the millions of mint "inflation stamps" as per pre-war Germany to muddy the waters.

Malcolm
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Zimbabwe 2005

Image[/img]

Zimbabwe 2006

Image[/img]
Eric Casagrande

The amounts on those stamps, Colin, are a classsic!

Most people who don't follow the news, would look at them and go ... whaaaaat?
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi ALL

Here is the latest exchange rates for Zim. these figures are based on info received from a mate of mine that has just come back.

Offiicial ex rate is 30000.00 Zim$ to one US$
Black Market rate (this is what is actually used in zim) is 1595745 to one US$

This is based on the new ZIM$750000.00 bank note
750000 to US$25.00 official rate
750000 to Us$0.47 black market.

a loaf of bread currently costs between $800000.00 and 1 mil zim dollars.

Rgds

Colin
Paula Wilkinson
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Paula Wilkinson »

Hi Zimbabwe enthusiasts. I've only just discovered this thread and am saddened by current reports of life on the tableland, having lived there in the 70's. Sadly, I saw no solution then to the inequities, and I see no immediate solution now. Time and evolution appear to be the only hope for this beautiful country.
COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi Paula

The problem is that Zim is running out of time as the country is facing a total economic crash. It is going to take a long time to fix.

To misquote Churchill

Never before in the conflict of mankind has so mutch been stuffed up by so few in such a short period of time
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Where is our new member COLIN2008 who lives there to add this thoughts?

Glen
Colin2008

Post by Colin2008 »

Hi Colin, Glen, Paula and others showing concern for ZIMBABWE.

This is Colin2008, I am not hiding, and appreciate the concern many members are showing on the site.

I will remain apolitical, I am the Chairman of an NGO and I interact with many parastatals, very successfully. Zimbabwe is a young nation, only 27 years old in fact, de-colonisation is a painful experience for the nation and its citizens, yes many mistakes have been made, and no doubt will continue to be made.

But the biggest mistakes of all have been made by the implementation of sanctions from many countries in the Northern Hemphispere, driving our new country to turn to Southern Hemisphere countries,for inputs of investments, advice and materials.

Urgent dialogue is needed with old friends that have withdrawn some distance, You are right without outside help from many quarters, it will take a long time to get our economy back on PATH, we have a tremendous human resources bank, many un-empoloyed, we need to create job opportunities, and reverse the current 80-20 situation of the un-employed to a 80-20 employed, we have the logistics and the skills.

Zimbabwe is still a very beuatiful Country. Sanctions do not create the right atmosphere for developement, only bitterness. Well if that is apolitical, I'm a Martian.
Colin2008.
Paula Wilkinson

Post by Paula Wilkinson »

Hello Colin 2008. Great to read your comments. You mentioned that you are a chairman of an NGO. What is that?

Also, what is a parastatal? Lastly, I wondered if you know of anyone in Zimbabwe (yourself maybe?) who would be interested in stamp exchange with a New Zealander?

I'd love to fill all the recent gaps I have.

Cheers, Paula
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Colin2008,

It is good to get some news from Zimbabwe
but sad to hear that it seems to be in some kind of dire straits.
Whatever you are doing to help,
I hope that it will bring some relief to the citizens there.
I do not know whether Malaysians are investing there
as we seem to be getting involved with many African nations,
sharing our knowledge and technology.

Cheers

Andrew
Colin2008

Post by Colin2008 »

Hi everyone,

'Thanks for your replies, Paula, in answer to your two questions;

1: An NGO is a Non-Governmental Organisation, I am Chairman of ZARF (Zimbabwe Advertising Research Foundation) a non-profit making media research organisation, owned by a JIC (Joint industry council) consisting of the Advertisers,Advertsing Agencies and the Media Owners.

2: A parastatal is a company partly owned by the state ,usually 51% and other investors.

I will be offering a Zimbabwe Stamp package for sale in the next few days, and I will keep my ears open for any fellow collectors that might be interested in your Zim-NZ swap offer.!

Andrew yes your description of "The Country being in Dire Straits" is not far off the mark. Zimbabwe is a 'Hyperinflationarysituation', currently running towards 20,000%, hence a loaf of bread is Z$2,000,000.00.And yes the country does need all the help it can get for many (any) sources.

We have an election in a few weeks time, if that is allowed to take its course, is free and fair, and democracy imerges as a winner, then there will be
light at the end of the tunnel, a government of national unity will build to a progressive future.

Zimbabwe has many very able politicians, left,right and middle of the road, working together they will make a force to contend with, United is the way forward, Divided???????, the answer to that is well known.

Kenya is the current example. I felt that I had to answer your questions, I hope I have done so to your satisfaction.

I will be posting my Photograph of the Zimbabwean stamp offer in the course of the next week,and you are invited to comment, 120 Different stamps, is my asking price FAIR ?

Colin2008
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Colin2008,

Thanks for the replies.
Hope those elections go well
and that the leaders there can pull the country through.
In a time like this,
it is time to put aside differences
and go for a higher goal that benefits everyone.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”