Royal Mail announces UK Paquebot system to end.

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Royal Mail announces UK Paquebot system to end.

Post by norvic »

The 15 October Postmark Bulletin from Royal Mail includes the following brief announcement:

PAQUEBOT CANCELLATION SERVICE
Please note that from the 29 October 2010 the Paquebot Cancellation Service
will be withdrawn. We will no longer provide this service.

I contacted Royal Mail about this - whether it was a philatelic service (which I was unaware of) or the basic Paquebot system, and received this reply today (28th):
I can confirm that we will no longer cancel mail rec'd from ships with a Paquebot cancellation anywhere in the country, we previously offered a reduced service but this has also now been withdrawn. No paquebot cancellations, either philatelic or operational will be available. Hope this clarifies matters
It doesn't exactly, of course. I have now asked what will happen to mail off-loaded from foreign-registered ships at British ports under the UPU-regulated Paquebot Service.

Have any other countries totally stopped the paquebot cancelling of ship-mail, and if so what happens?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Royal Mail announces UK Paquebot system to end.

Post by Global Admin »

How interesting.

I can't recall seeing a REAL Paquebot cover for years ... a lot are philatelically made of course, but can't be a lot of call in this air mail era.

A bit like Telegrams I guess. Remember them folks? :)

Glen
cckerberos
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by cckerberos »

Global Administrator wrote:A bit like Telegrams I guess. Remember them folks? :)
They actually still have them here :D
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

cckerberos wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:A bit like Telegrams I guess. Remember them folks? :)
They actually still have them here :D
We still have them in North America too...the singing kind. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I thought pacquebot cancels had faded away around the time of the Queen Mary (the royal or the ship, take your pick).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
norvic

Post by norvic »

aethelwulf wrote:I thought pacquebot cancels had faded away around the time of the Queen Mary (the royal or the ship, take your pick).
1964:

1977:

But they do continue in use, even if contrived.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Berlin-Gus
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Berlin-Gus »

COOK ISLANDS with NZ OVERSEAS postmark (1975)
Hopefully I am not too far off topic here with this posting. At our local stamp club discovered this post card from the Cook Islands, franked with Cook Island s stamps and postmarked AUCKLAND OVERSEAS / 4 PM / 20 JAN / 1975 and a tourism related slogan.
I find it strange that New Zealand would be postmarking this card unless it was a PAQUEBOT
Explanation would be appreciated . . .

Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

I still have about 10 of theese left in stock from 1999 and I guess these are TRUE Paquebots!

A GREAT story! - https://www.glenstephens.com/snseptember03.html
postagelabelsuk
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by postagelabelsuk »

MMm this is interesting, I wounder if the UPU obligations have been thought through, or if someone has thought that these are just some odd postmarks they dont have to be bothered with anymore..
UK ATM Philately-
THE Modern Collecting Alternative

Http://www.postagelabelsuk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norvic

Post by norvic »

postagelabelsuk wrote:MMm this is interesting, I wounder if the UPU obligations have been thought through, or if someone has thought that these are just some odd postmarks they dont have to be bothered with anymore..
I've put that point to the editor of the Bulletin as my supplementary question. Answer awaited.
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

MOD Comment

Contributors to this thread may be interested in looking at our "Share your 'Paquebot' posted on board cancels and covers" thread.

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3775&p=1303069

That thread has a cross reference to this one.

Please keep this thread on topic re UK paquebot system ending.
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
tpo_seapost_web
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by tpo_seapost_web »

The TPO and Seapost Society has received a reply to their initial mailing to Moya Greene (CEO of Royal Mail). It was signed by David Dale of Royal Mail International Marketing. The reply looks very similar to two others that this writer has seen.
A member of the society's committee (not me) has just responded, correcting factual errors and offering further dialogue.

The society has received a number of inputs from other writers and collectors which all help to keep us informed.

Regarding recent use of paquebot cancels at GB ports a member reports covers posted from ships in GB in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010 including items posted on the last day of operation 29th October 2010! [When/if I get sight of one I'll post a suitable update]
norvic

Post by norvic »

tpo_seapost_web wrote:The TPO and Seapost Society has received a reply to their initial mailing to Moya Greene (CEO of Royal Mail). It was signed by David Dale of Royal Mail International Marketing. The reply looks very similar to two others that this writer has seen.
A member of the society's committee (not me) has just responded, correcting factual errors and offering further dialogue.

The society has received a number of inputs from other writers and collectors which all help to keep us informed.

Regarding recent use of paquebot cancels at GB ports a member reports covers posted from ships in GB in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010 including items posted on the last day of operation 29th October 2010! [When/if I get sight of one I'll post a suitable update]
David Dale's response was directly aimed at the Philatelic Paquebot service provided, but not publicised, by Royal Mail. Now that we have put him right on what I and your colleague were actually asking about, maybe we'll get a response that answers the question on the operational matters which are still subject to UPU agreement.
tpo_seapost_web

tpo_seapost_web wrote: Regarding recent use of paquebot cancels at GB ports a member reports covers posted from ships in GB in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010 including items posted on the last day of operation 29th October 2010! [When/if I get sight of one I'll post a suitable update]
Images of recent examples of Paquebot marks applied at GB ports may be found on this new page from the TPO & Seapost Society.
tpo_seapost_web

An officer of the TPO & Seapost Society has received a further response from Royal Mail. It may be accessed as a pdf from here.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”