Queensland 1d QV sideface stamps 1879-1881 : a study

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jeremy29
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Queensland 1d QV sideface stamps 1879-1881 : a study

Post by jeremy29 »

Time to start looking at this one :-)

The Queensland 1d stamp is interesting and complex.

They were printed on three types of paper and all issues were Perf 12 line. First issued on 15 May 1879, the colour was reddish brown (Watermark Crown and Q5) (Dies 1 and 2). There was also orange brown (Watermark Crown and Q5) (Die 1 only).

The reddish brown was issued from 21 October 1879 with no watermark, burelé band at the back in blue (Dies 1 and 2). The burelé bands are not always easy to see as the ink is water soluble. Therefore any unwatermarked copies are likely to be from this printing.

The 1d was finally issued with Watermark Crown and Q6 in Reddish brown, dull orange, and then scarlet (also called bright vermilion), which was first issued on 7 March 1881. Some 1d stamps with watermark Crown and Q6 were printed with aniline inks and show up as yellow when viewed in ultraviolet light.

There are two dies with four recurring types each and the sheets had 120 stamps (10 x12).The two Dies can occur in the same sheet and in different locations in the same sheets! I will cover this in more detail at a later stage as it is very complex and I am still working though it and trying to make sense of what has been written by others and which in some cases is contradictory.

The two Dies have one distinguishing characteristic:

Die 1 - The white horizontal inner line of the triangle in the upper right-hand corner merges into the outer white line of the oval above the 'L"

Die 2 - The same line is short and does not touch the inner oval

jeremy29

Re: Queensland 1d QV sideface stamps 1879-1881 : a study

Post by jeremy29 »

The various shades are easy to distinguish when the stamps are in front of you, but not that easy when on the computer. Hopefully these scans will give you some idea.

Reddish brown

Orange brown (Die 1 only)

Dull orange

Scarlet

There is also this shade which appears to be a chemical reaction of some sort

I am gradually working through the characteristics of the two dies and will post examples when I have finished. I have also collated all this information in a blog covering much of what we have written here but also additional material such as essays and proofs. It is a work in progress and far from finished and you comments and suggestions are welcomed.

https://queensland1sideface.blogspot.com.au/

Revenuer
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Revenuer »

Jeremy you are showing a 4d above.

I attached what i believe to be the largest surviving blk albeit fiscally used of the 1d issue.

Spot The QO

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Oops, thanks for picking up the error. Here is the 1d colour changeling I meant to have posted. Die 2. And it is a QO as well :-)

Last edited by jeremy29 on 03 Mar 2012 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

What a superb block Revenuer. Your QO is position 44, so you have the top half of the sheet. Position 44 is found on plate 1. What is the watermark? The colour looks to be scarlet or reddish-brown, hard to tell with scans. What does it look like in real life?

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Here are the 4 recurring types for Die 1

1 White indentation above “L” of Queensland

2 Second “E” of Queensland has a long horizontal bottom stroke. Types 1 and 3 also have a long horizontal bottom stroke of the Second “E” so it is only type 2 if there are no indentions above “L” or between the “S” and the “L”

3 The tail of “Q” is short and stumpy

4 White indentation between “S” and “L” of Queensland

Types 1 and 4 distinguishing characteristics are very similar and can be quite confusing. Type 4 is usually more pronounced and further to the left. The only one to easily identify is type 3

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Here are the 4 recurring types for Die 2

1 In the lower left spandrel the outer vertical white line merges with the white line outlining the oval

2 The top of the right reversed S-shaped ornament is damaged

3 At the left bottom corner the junction of the lines of colour is missing

4 Absence of the above indications and malformation of the spandrel point below “E” of penny

Revenuer

Post by Revenuer »

Jeremy My studies of the 1d have taken me here:

One Penny - Die I
In all four types there is no apparent frame line to the curved side of the NE spandrel network.

Type I:
NE spandrel - the horizontal line projects just inside the oval above ‘L’
SW spandrel - the curved line extends to the vertical outer line
NW spandrel - the curved line just joins the horizontal frame line
‘ Q ‘ - the tail is longer and curved down

Type II:
NW spandrel - the lower corner is quite open
SE spandrel - the vertical frame lines have coloured spots near the bottom
Second ‘ E ‘ - the bottom stroke is longer

Type III:
NW spandrel - the curved line extends to the outer horizontal line
- a short break at left hand end of inner coloured frame line
SW spandrel - the curved line extends to the outer vertical line
‘ Q ‘ - the tail is short and stumpy

Type IV:
NE spandrel - the horizontal line projects into the oval between ‘ S ‘ and ‘ L ‘
SE spandrel - the curved line extends to touch the vertical line
‘ Q ‘ and ‘ U ‘ - usually a white dot between the tops of the letters

One Penny - Die II
This was derived from a new mould pressed from the Master Die and shows clear frame lines to all four spandrels and no re-cutting to the NE spandrel upper frame line.

Type I:
SW spandrel - the vertical white line merges with the curved line at the top
NW spandrel - the vertical lines are close and frequently merge

Type II:
SW spandrel - the curved line extends at the bottom to meet the horizontal line
SE spandrel -the curved line extends at the bottom to meet the horizontal line
The right hand ornament has damage to outside of upper right curl

Type III:
SW spandrel - the horizontal white line extends to the vertical frame line

Type IV:
SE spandrel - the horizontal line extends to meet the oval below ‘ E ‘ of PENNY

Type II of both Die I and Die II show a distortion/bulge at the bottom of the white outer frame line of the NE spandrel just above where it meets the oval. This appears to have been corrected at some stage, probably at the same time as the adjacent ornament was also repaired.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Many thanks Revenuer. This is fantastic. I must admit I have really struggled with these. I took as my starting point Robson Lowe's descriptions, but even with scanning all my examples (I have around copies 250 of which about 170 are Die 1 and 80 are Die 2) at high resolution and then looking at them on a 22 inch screen I still struggled to spot the differences.

Revenuer

Post by Revenuer »

Here's a bit of fun OOEENSLAND.

Revenuer

Post by Revenuer »

Heres a blk from plateII

Revenuer

Post by Revenuer »

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Gosh Revenuer, what extraordinary material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Some information on the 1st sideface issue compiled from various articles:

Paper, watermarks, colours and perforations

These stamps were printed using an electrolyte process. When the proof plates were being prepared a large order was sent to De La Rue in London for a new paper that had just been developed for electrolyte printing. However this paper did not arrive in time and so existing stamp paper stocks were used instead.

1,000 sheets (120,000 stamps) of the 2d were issued on 10 April 1879, followed by 1052 (126,240 stamps on both dies. The first and second proof plate sheets had 88 stamps of Die 1 and 32 of Die 2. Extrapolating this it means that of the 120,000 stamps; 88,000 stamps were die 1 and 32,000 were die 2) sheets of the 1d on 15 May 1879 and the 4d was released on 6 June 1879. 120 sheets of the 6d (10,800 stamps) were released on 16 December 1879.

The paper used was that used for the engraved Chalon stamps, with the watermark Queens Crown 5 paper for 240 stamps, cut to the size of the new plates, which was for 120 stamps. The perforations were all done on a single-line machine gauging perforation 12. This was rarely done well.

The colours were 1d brownish-red (a shade lighter than the proof), 2d pale blue, 4d orange yellow, 6d pale yellow-green.

The paper ran out before the new stocks had been received from England. A quantity of white handmade paper manufactured by T. H. Saunders and watermarked with his name and the date 1877 was procured and 12 scroll bands of interlaced wavy lines were lithographed in pale lilac upon it by the Government Engraver as a substitute for a watermark (the so-called burelé band). The 1d and 2d postage stamps were printed on this paper - with the first issues being in early October 1879 - as well as the then current duty stamps. These bands differed considerably from those on the large fiscal stamps from 1871-76, which were narrow blue bands with rather wide spaces between the interlaced lines. The burelé band is not always easy to see as the ink is water soluble. At high magnification the burelé impression can sometimes be seen even if it is colourless and any unwatermarked stamp is likely to be from this printing.

The new paper ordered from De La Rue arrived shortly afterwards with the first printings occurring in October 1879. The burelé band paper continued to be used along with the new paper until stocks were exhausted the following month. It is believed that 60,720 1d stamps and 58,440 2d stamps were produced on the burelé band paper. The 1d “QO” variety also appears on this paper and no more than 506 stamps with this variety could have been printed. The same applies to the 2d “PENGE” and “QUEENSBAND” varieties. It is believed that 22,800 copies of the 6d stamp were also printed on either burelé or unwatermarked paper but very few have been recorded. Copies of the 1 shilling on unwatermarked paper have also been recorded. The perforations were perforation 12 line. The new paper was Watermark Queens Crown 6 and the perforations remained 12 line.

In November 1880 new supplies of ink were received and proofs of the stamps were submitted as follows: 1d bright vermilion, approved 21 November 1880, issued 7 March 1881. 2d deep blue, issued 2 March 1881. 4d deep yellow, issued 12 August 1881. 6d deep green, issued March 1881. 1 shilling deep violet, approved April 188, issued 4 May 1881. 1,362 sheets (163,440 stamps) of the 1 shilling were printed on 5 different occasions. The shade of colour varies considerably from pale cold lilac to deep violet. The 1d can be found in a yellowish colour, caused by chemical interactions changing the colours. So to sum up, three types of paper were used for the 1d and 2d stamps, the second unwatermarked paper being very scarce. One type only was used for the 6d and 1 shilling stamps and two types for the 4d. Unused 4d stamps with the first watermark are very rare. At least one sheet of the 2d stamp with the first watermark was printed with the watermark reversed, that is, the tail of the ‘Q’ points to the left instead of the right. Some 1d and 1 shilling stamps issued with the second watermark were printed with aniline inks and show up as yellow when viewed in ultraviolet light.

Dated copies of these stamps are difficult to find because the practice was to put the town numeral on the stamps and the datestamp on the cover. Genuinely unused single copies are scarce and multiples extremely scarce. On 1 January 1880 it was decreed that from then on postage and fiscal stamps would be mutually interchangeable. The 1d and 1 shilling postage stamps were extensively used for fiscal purposes. Many of these stamps have since had their pen or rubber cancellations removed in an attempt to produce ‘unused’ stamps. The ink used for printing the stamps is water fugitive to a greater or lesser degree depending upon colour and many peculiar shades now exist particularly of the 1d penny OO variety. Few so-called unused 1 shilling stamps are truly unused.

Revenuer

Post by Revenuer »

1d Litho Band.

I also have a 2d & 1/- with same litho band. Anybody got a 4d or 6d?

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Revenuer for showing these. Basset Hull wrote in 1894:

"The printings of the sixpence, above referred to as on ‘large plain paper," were probably on ordinary unwatermarked paper. I have not seen any copies assignable to this date, but the stamp is mentioned in " Oceania," together with the one shilling, also Q unwatermarked. This latter stamp I have seen used both fiscally and postally. I have, however, seen unused imperforate copies of both the sixpence and one shilling printed on thin, unwatermarked paper, in shades of yellow-green and violet, belonging to the stamps of those values found on the Crown Q paper."

The 6d would be extraordinarily rare and the 4d probably doesn't exist :-)

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Most of these stamps were used for stamp duty purposes. In other words they were fiscally, not postally used. Care needs to be taken when looking at an "unused" example as many of these have in fact been fiscally used and then an attempt has been made to remove the fiscal cancellation. Here is an example. The clue is that the Queen's head appears to have been rubbed with an eraser. It does not look right. Closer examination shows a crude attempt to remove the fiscal cancellation! Once you know this has been done, it is then possible to see the faint blue outline of the fiscal cancellation on the enlarged stamp. At actual size it is very difficult to detect with the naked eye unless you are alert and looking for it.

At a size approaching actual size it is harder to spot. This is still much much larger than actual size but I smallest I can do on this website.

Greg Ioannou
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Greg Ioannou »

jeremy29 wrote: I am gradually working through the characteristics of the two dies and will post examples when I have finished. I have also collated all this information in a blog covering much of what we have written here but also additional material such as essays and proofs. It is a work in progress and far from finished and you comments and suggestions are welcomed.

http://queensland1sideface.blogspot.com.au/
I just spent a very pleasant hour or so reading through your blog, and I strongly recommend that anyone interested enough in the sidefaces to be reading this thread do the same. It's a terrific piece of work.

Greg

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Greg, much appreciated :-)

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

I have just come across an article in the London Philatelist, June 1910, p. 149 where Mr LLR Hausberg (1872 - 1917) showed his Queensland collection, including "Two reconstructed sheets of the 1s, 1879 issue, one being made up of overlapping pairs and blocks and the other almost entirely of unused specimens." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what happened to them and whether or not they and their accompanying notes survived somewhere? Some info on the man is available here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_L._R._Hausburg

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

I have discovered that Hausberg's collection was bought by Stanley Gibbons in 1916

mobbor
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by mobbor »

Hi Jeremy

Just wondering whether there are other major flaws, apart from QO & OO?
mobbor

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Mobbor, they appear to be the only ones

Teeka
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Teeka »

Hi All, This may be a older thread but thought I would try and get the experts to help.
What a wonderful thread it is, thanks for getting me this far.
With regards to the paper types for the 1/- Sideface. I seem to have 4 different stamps from a bundle which I have very closely examined and can see noticeable differences. None are of the 9.5 De La Rue.
From left to right I have -
1 - Rice Paper Type
2 - Thin / Smooth - The common paper on almost all other 1/- I have.
3 - Similar thickness to 2 but definitely rough surface
4 - Thick / Browny - Beer Paper Variety
5 - AWCO ???? - With a very odd shade

Image links inactive. Removed

I understand the stamps 2 and 4, however 1, 3 & 5 have stumped me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also is the joined "NG" in the first stamp a common variety?

Image link inactive. Removed

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Hi Teeka and welcome to Stampboards!, only the first stamp is the 1879-1881 type. All the others are the 2nd sideface. As you note, one is the thick paper and they come in all sorts of different shades. There is a lot more information on the paper and shades here: http://queensland2sideface.blogspot.com.au/p/1-shilling-mauve-lilac-violet.html

Re the 1879-1881 example, the distorted G is the only known constant variety for the 1 shilling and is reasonably uncommon occurring once every sheet of 120 stamps (the other varieties such as the extended I in shilling are from the 4 recurring die or cliche types). More info here: http://queensland1sideface.blogspot.com/2011/10/1-shilling-varieties.html

Regards

Jeremy

Teeka

Post by Teeka »

Thank you so much for the clarification on stamp types and also the pointer to the blog . I just spent the last hour browsing through the blog and it is brilliant. :). I was able to answer all my queries except one. Although it relates to the 2nd sideface I thought i may as well reply to this thread.
The last stamp in the images is my last hurdle. It seems to be printed in AWCO stamped paper. From what I have checked AWCO established in 1929 and I didn't think they the QLD 1/- in 1929? I cant seem to find any other reference to AWCO paper use on Sideface stamps??
Regards,
Tivon

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Hi Tivon

Glad you like my blogs. I am afraid I don't know anything about AWCO stamped paper but given the dates I doubt it could have been used. Perhaps someone else can clarify?

Jeremy

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”