New Dutch stamps series "silver stamp with diamond"

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

JKA
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

New Dutch stamps series "silver stamp with diamond"

Post by JKA »

Our PostNL issues a series of silver stamps with real diamonds. The theme is European monarchs. The series is of course limited. But it will cost you €49,95 per stamp (with a certificate). Don’t exactly know how many different issues will be made.

What do you think about it?

I think completely madness, this has nothing to do with stamp collection anymore.
Last edited by JKA on 15 Nov 2013 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: silver stamp with diamond

Post by Global Administrator »

Please read Rule 10 and re-word the heading.

silver stamp with diamond

Means absolutely nothing to anyone - except you. :twisted:

JKA

Post by JKA »

Global Administrator wrote:Please read Rule 10 and re-word the heading.

silver stamp with diamond

Means absolutely nothing to anyone - except you. :twisted:
re-worded the heading, hope it's better now.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: New Dutch stamps series "silver stamp with diamond"

Post by Global Administrator »

Much better. :)

You do not have an image to add?

All new threads ideally have an image in post #1. :idea:

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

leemmaps wrote: I think completely madness, this has nothing to do with stamp collection anymore.
I got the brochure about this yesterday. Indeed complete madness! :evil:

For the non-Dutch members:

These stamps are the silver personalised stamps with registered letter rate (€7,70)

When first issued 2 years ago there was a standard version available for collectors for face value.

A personalised silver stamp, with your own picture on it for example, can be ordered for €34,95.

Soon after the first stamp was issued, PostNL (Post Netherlands) started a Dutch Heroes series. Only available on subscription for €14,95 per stamp (+€2,95 shipping)

This year they started a Dutch Royalty series. Also on subscription only and for €19,95 each (+€2,95 shipping) This will be a set of 24!

And now they are starting a set of 10 stamps with European Monarchs with a small diamond for €49,95 each (+€2,95 shipping ofcourse!)

maszki

Post by maszki »

Well, Leemmaps, regardless of how you title this topic to accord with the Administrators post, your post highlights the difficulty that I (and I am sure many other collectors) have in determining what and what not to collect.

This hobby used to be so simple when Postal Authorities worked to a simple idea. People want to send letters, we want to be paid to deliver those letters and the way to do this is we will print 'labels' which are stuck on the stamp as proof of payment. Postal authorities, wishing to maximise profits printed only enough stamps to meet demand.

Collectors thought...hmmmm, pretty labels, I think I will collect them

As Postal Authoriites recognised this collection fad/hobby/illness/ailment (whatever) their objective of maximising profit led them to produce an excess of stamps. When combined with the idea that 'mint' stamps were preferable to a genuinely used stamp with a nasty obliterator mark the floodgates opened.

What a magnificent opportunity- "ha! these collectors will collect anything so let's flood the market with multiple issues with face values not required for normal postage use" etc etc

How many of these silver stamps will ever grace the front of an envelope?

How many $10 Kangaroo/map stamps will ever grace an envelope?

How many mini-sheets will be stuck on envelopes?

How about Pitcairn Island? Here is an island with a permanent population of about 50 plus a few tourists which prints masses of stamps (29 different stamps in 8 series in 2005 alone) very few of which will ever see the face of an envelope. It is a very simple and very effective money raising enterprise with only the barest connection to actually posting a letter. (The 2007 Bounty issues comprised 12 vertical stamps with denominations of 10c, 20c, 40c, 50c, 80c, $1.00, $1.50, $2.00, $3.50, $4.00, $5.00, $10.00...surely it doesn't cost THAT much for a postcard?)

Stanley Gibbons used to deny catalogue status to issues not 'proven' to be for genuine postal use (I don't know if they still do), but if they do then surely they are questioning the status of Pitcairn, the 'sand-dunes' and many african countries, Lichtenstein, San Marina..even the Vatican all of whom issue far in excess of genuine requirements.

I for one have already closed of my collection for most of these countries and have serious reservations about collecting any stamps beyond the year 2000 except for about a dozen countries which still seem to possess some credibility in terms of issues and face values of their stamps.

But that is only my opinion.....

BarbieD
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by BarbieD »

My Netherlands collection ends in 1965, but I would so buy these stamps with small diamonds. My guess it that they will be become very collectible.

I can't find any more information on the internet about them - leemmaps or Stewie1980 do you have a link where I can learn more?

lionheart
Location: IP: Washington D.C., USA (Actual: Singapore at this time)

Post by lionheart »

I'm sorry if I lost something. Are these silver and diamond stamps valid for postage?

I know it will be very hard to get one that is genuinely used commercially even if they are.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

BarbieD wrote:My Netherlands collection ends in 1965, but I would so buy these stamps with small diamonds. My guess it that they will be become very collectible.
Previous issues didn't became collectibles. Allmost nobody bought them.
BarbieD wrote:I can't find any more information on the internet about them - leemmaps or Stewie1980 do you have a link where I can learn more?
I couldn't find a link yesterday. They are not (yet?) mentioned on the Dutch philatelic bureau's website. http://collectclub.postnl.nl/
lionheart wrote:I'm sorry if I lost something. Are these silver and diamond stamps valid for postage?

I know it will be very hard to get one that is genuinely used commercially even if they are.
Yes, they will be valid for postage for domestic registered mail (€7,70)

BarbieD

Post by BarbieD »

Stewie1980 wrote: Previous issues didn't became collectibles. Allmost nobody bought them.
Ahh but previous issues didn't have diamond chips. These will become very popular :wink:

But in any case, don't forget when dealing with collectibles, the less issues sold = the greater the rarity.

Rein
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Rein »

They are expensive gimmicks not to be used for franking although officially [!] of course they will be valid....

Over 50 years ago the Dutch Post Office issued two so-called airmail stamps that were NOT available for the public let alone for collectors then! They only served to get the then necessary hard cash / currency from the US!

There was NOT even the option to boycott these stamps! And now every Dutch collector should have these in his collection that otherwise will be deprecated on any exhibition....

So please buy it - PostNL will be most pleased! - and in 50 years your collection will turn out to be a much better investment than all the stamps your grandfather had bought for you during the 1961-2001 period! Spending several thousands of guilders expecting you to be most happy getting that collection. Alas, no one wants to have it now and there is no way to get some of the guilders [now euro] back in return as all stamps have been declared invalid for franking....

Stamp collectors will never learn...

groetjes, Rein

parryaw
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by parryaw »

How does one put a silver stamp on a envelope?
Malaya, Sarawak, North Borneo, Orchids and whatever catches my eye :)

Rein

Post by Rein »

Self-adhesives on liner paper...

BarbieD

Post by BarbieD »

Rein wrote: Stamp collectors will never learn...
The only lesson I see to be learned here is to buy them at face value upon issue. I have no real love for novelty stamps (perhaps with the exception of ones with diamonds), but times are changing and all postal authorities are issuing them. As less and less letters are being mailed, they have to find other sources of revenue (including issuing expensive stamps which more likely than not will never see postal use).

But moreover, not every stamp collector wants to collect 100 year old musty stamps picturing long-forgotten monarchs and old buildings. New collectors are becoming interested in stamp collecting because of all the novelties and putting our noses up at these issues just because they're not "traditional" stamps is elitist and benefits no one. If I were starting out as a collector today, I would be much more attracted to modern issues than to old stamps (which quite frankly are mostly boring to look at).

As for now, I'm more than happy to add the ones I'm interested in to my collection at face value.

ausfoo
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by ausfoo »

Rein wrote:
Over 50 years ago the Dutch Post Office issued two so-called airmail stamps that were NOT available for the public let alone for collectors then! They only served to get the then necessary hard cash / currency from the US!

There was NOT even the option to boycott these stamps! And now every Dutch collector should have these in his collection that otherwise will be deprecated on any exhibition....

groetjes, Rein
What stamps are these? :shock:
Countries: Malaysia, Trucial States Thematics: "Postal Services", "Postmen", "Post Boxes", etc. (anything related)Interested in all Stamp Catalogues (Especially thematic, one-country, and specialized catalogs)

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Here's an image of the presentation case and stamps from the latest 'Collect' magazine.

Perhaps a Dutch member here can translate the write up.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

stampchris wrote:Here's an image of the presentation case and stamps from the latest 'Collect' magazine.

Perhaps a Dutch member here can translate the write up.
Silver stamps with diamond

PostNL together with the Royal Netherland Mint and top jeweler Gassan Diamonds will come with a very special set: silver stamps with diamond.

The theme of the set is European Monarchs, with attention for the ten monarchs Europe now still counts.
The set is very limited, with only 2000 pieces for all of Europe.

When you now take a subscription, then you will receive a free slipcase with the third delivery.
Each stamp will cost €49,95 en will be delivered with a certificate of authenticity.

For more information see the brochure in Collect magazine.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Look at numismatics...for years, the mints of lots of countries have produced all manner of commemorative coins for collectors. All the various coins in silver or gold, in special presentation boxes, with a selling price many times the nominal face value on the coins. Yet collectors buy them.

Seems the idea of producing a lot of merchandise (or just 'tat') is creeping into stamps...in the late 19th century it was the idea of commemorative stamps, done sparingly...then came the 'wallpaper' era when all hell broke loose. Now a new development.

On the one hand, the PostNL stamps are valid for postage...but on the other hand, the selling price seems outrageous. So will they get catalogue listing? Probably a footnote by most catalogues, since they're not being sold at face.

HKPost produces all kinds of merchandise...there was a M/S for the 100th anniversary of flight in Hong Kong, so they sold models of the first plane. Another M/S recognizing a UNESCO site in China, round buildings called hulou, they sold clay models of the houses. Then there's all the framed reproductions in gold foil of various commems....
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

BarbieD

Post by BarbieD »

LOL These aren't even real postage stamps, so I take back everything I said :oops: They remind me too much of the Franklin Mint "collector" stuff, which starts to depreciate upon purchase, so I will now pass. But I was so hoping that I would have a chance of receiving diamond chips in the mail :D
ausfoo wrote: What stamps are these? :shock:
I think these are the stamps:

Image Image

SG 742/743 issued in 1951 for use on special flights.

SG 2010 values: £400 mint/£170 used (each)

ausfoo

Post by ausfoo »

What were the arrangements to use those airmail stamps? Looks pretty ordinary to me..
Countries: Malaysia, Trucial States Thematics: "Postal Services", "Postmen", "Post Boxes", etc. (anything related)Interested in all Stamp Catalogues (Especially thematic, one-country, and specialized catalogs)

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

BarbieD wrote:LOL These aren't even real postage stamps, so I take back everything I said :oops:
They are real 'personalized' postage stamps. They can be used on mail.
BarbieD wrote:
ausfoo wrote: What stamps are these? :shock:
I think these are the stamps:

Image Image

SG 742/743 issued in 1951 for use on special flights.

SG 2010 values: £400 mint/£170 used (each)
The second image is wrong. The second stamp of the set has the same design with the gull, but in a different colour and with the value 25 GLD.
ausfoo wrote:What were the arrangements to use those airmail stamps? Looks pretty ordinary to me..
15 and 25 guilders were very high values in 1951.
I don't know the exact arrangements for use.

JKA

Post by JKA »

[at] Stewie1980, thanks for the additional info, you have put into this thread.

[at] Maszki, I don’t hope the Dutch stamps will end up on the list of dubious stamps to collect :oops: .
I have always liked to collect them and bought every year the new additions. (See also http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49001), but I think I will cancel my subscription this year.

But I am :evil: furious :evil: about these new issues that has nothing to do with stamp collecting anymore. Just very expensive stamps, not even far for postal usage.
As Stewie has mention it, this has gone for a few moths/years now and the madness increases every year. The properly going to issue gold stamp with Swarovski crystal next year.

@Lionhart, yes these stamps are valid for postage, but you really don’t pay €49,95 for a €7,70 postal peache.
The biggest problem is to get a good cancelation. You need special ink, else you can sweep the ink wright off it. And I don’t even know where you can get these cancelations.

@Stampchris/Stewie1980, thanks for the original source, and translation. Ahhh I see, I forget something.. You get of course a nice box with the first order…..

cxdogg
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by cxdogg »

I don't live in the Netherlands; I see on the product's website that subscription service is only available to residents of the country.

I wonder if there's a service that would allow non-residents to subscribe?

Thanks

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”