Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

philcovex2
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

Post by philcovex2 »

I, for one, find the community mail boxes to be a positive thing.
I can't agree with you OttawaMike. I currently receive my mail at the door and I like it just fine. There are problems with theft from community mailboxes especially in B.C. Thieves drive up to the boxes and use a crowbar to pry all the boxes open. This is from the Langley Times last October:

I suppose community mailboxes represent a step up for rural residents but most definitely are a huge drop down in service for those currently receiving home delivery. There is no escaping the obvious security issue.

OttawaMike
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by OttawaMike »

I dunno.

If I were so inclined, I could walk up your driveway, reach into your mailbox and take your stuff without raising an eyebrow in most neighbourhoods. A guy with a crowbar would more likely be noticed.

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

I dunno. If I were so inclined, I could walk up your driveway, reach into your mailbox and take your stuff without raising an eyebrow in most neighbourhoods. A guy with a crowbar would more likely be noticed.
If you can provide statistics dealing with thefts from home delivered mail please provide them. While you're at it do an internet search dealing with the issue of mail theft from community boxes in B.C. and elsewhere in Canada. You should find some interesting videos showing how community boxes are targeted by speedy thieves.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

I can see the theft problem- they are looking for credit card/bank statements & new credit cards or bank cards coming thru the mail.

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

The community boxes have simply become a part of life, based on where I live now. I don't see a huge difference, except for the odd parcel that they forget to leave in the oversized box. I still get tags on the door to go get a parcel at the post office (sometimes due to HST payment required - sometimes due to forgetfulness on CanPost's part)

Always remember - the criminal element will be successful almost every time if they are determined enough - home delivery, community boxes, postal employees, customs employees - it isn't a perfect system - but for my money, it's probably the best one we've got

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

Always remember - the criminal element will be successful almost every time if they are determined enough - home delivery, community boxes, postal employees, customs employees - it isn't a perfect system - but for my money, it's probably the best one we've got
I absolutely, completely and unequivocally disagree with you. A community mail box would not be a better alternative for me than home delivery.

You don't have home delivery and never will. I suppose I can understand why you think the way you do. You have resigned yourself to your fate. Well sir, I am not going down without a fight.

Please provide me with evidence that there has been the same degree of theft from home delivery service as is the case outlined so effectively by the RCMP with respect to community mailboxes.

Another issue which has not been raised. Canada Post Corporation tells us that 2/3's of addresses do not receive home delivery. This is a bit misleading since they do not consider mail which is delivered to apartment buildings is not counted as home delivery.

If I live on the 35th floor of an apartment complex my mail is deposited in my mailbox located within the lobby of my building. This is not the same as receiving mail from the unsecure Community Boxes. It would be interesting to get the real statistics from Canada Post.

memphre
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by memphre »

OttawaMike wrote:
You still need to go to the post office for items which require a signature in my rural situation, but when I lived in the city, the postie came to my door for a signature. I don't know if that remains standard practice.

Hi Mike

The rule is that the postie is to go to your door with any article requiring a signature or not fitting into the oversized box, as long as your place is within 500m. of the postal route. A rule often honoured in the breach. When I first moved into my place, 12 years ago, it was my first experience with a community box.

The community box is located about 50m. from my front door and I can see the postie from my desk. I would often pick my mail and find a notice for me to pick up a registered letter or a parcel at a Post Office on the next day, a 15km return trip in my case.

I got frustrated with that and researched the rule book. :evil: I had to make a few complaints to the local Supervisor of mailmen, to the Regional Director and to Canada Post Customer Service, but items requiring signature are now routinely delivered to my door. :D

After a short period, I have found the community box convenient and secure. It certainly is very efficient for the PO.

Locating the boxes conveniently will certainly be a challenge in many urban environments and security concerns need be addressed but I think Canada Post is taking the best decision in the circumstances, otherwise, the labour cost for this low-value activity is going to kill them within a few years.

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: http://www.delcampe.net/boutiques/memphre

OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

philcovex2 wrote:
I dunno. If I were so inclined, I could walk up your driveway, reach into your mailbox and take your stuff without raising an eyebrow in most neighbourhoods. A guy with a crowbar would more likely be noticed.
If you can provide statistics dealing with thefts from home delivered mail please provide them. While you're at it do an internet search dealing with the issue of mail theft from community boxes in B.C. and elsewhere in Canada. You should find some interesting videos showing how community boxes are targeted by speedy thieves.
I'm really not intending to make a study of this issue. :D

I'm just relating my personal experience. Having lived under both systems, I much prefer the community mail box. Perhaps I am unusual in the number of parcel deliveries I get which makes the boxes attractive to me. If I am, so be it, but I suspect that is a trend which will continue.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

To be honest, I'd be pretty darn annoyed if AP did this in my suburban area.

I too would be very worried about security of my mail.

Maybe it will come here . . hope not. :roll:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

GETTING to them in heavy snow like now must be a nightmare and safety hazard surely, not to mention the litter and trash and graffiti they clearly attract/create?

Talk about urban eyesores. I was driving around in Ghana West Africa last week for 7 days, and saw less litter on city streets there!

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

OttawaMike

Your last post suggests you like your community box because parcels are delivered there. Of course you realize that the presence of parcels makes Community Boxes even more attractive to thieves. I provided just ONE example of a news story in which the RCMP officially stated that Community Mailboxes were attracting thieves.

When I asked you to present evidence of your hypothesis regarding the security of home delivered vs. "Superbox" stored mail you answered:
I'm really not intending to make a study of this issue.
Sorry but that is a lame response. I work with facts.

Sir, I have made a study of this issue and I will oppose this policy change with great vigour. And I certainly won't accept Canada Post's baloney rationales as I don't accept your glowing review of your community box.

To date, Canada Post has installed most of their out-door mail boxes in new subdivisions, the planning and cost of which have been the responsibility of developers. With the end of home mail delivery, Canada Post faces a massive challenge. The current model of boxes will not be feasible in most neighbourhoods. I look forward to hearing CP's solution.

Oh, and by the way. How much money will CP actually save?

If it sounds as if I am not a happy camper, well you are right.

OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

philcovex2 wrote: Sir, I have made a study of this issue and I will oppose this policy change with great vigour.

Good luck with that.

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

To our non-Canadian readers, allow me to explain OttawaMike's brief response to my post:
philcovex2 wrote:
Sir, I have made a study of this issue and I will oppose this policy change with great vigour.
Good luck with that.
Defeatism is a Canadian national trait. Acceptance of mediocrity, an obsession. How else can we explain the popularity of Toronto mayor Rob "I must have been in a drunken stupor" Ford? Most Canadians believe that resistance is futile. I'm not one of them. I will not pretend that Community Mailboxes are just peachy keen. I won't give up without a fight.

OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

So, I disagree with you. That hardly means I exhibit defeatism. Silly statement.

ACheck
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by ACheck »

We have the supermailbox for 18 years and it's been great. When you go away for a few days your mail is locked up and not hanging out of the mailbox on the house.
My Canadian collection will end with the price increase. I only have so much to spend on stamps and Canada Post is already taking more than I planned. I was collecting UL blocks of 4, however Canada tends to only issue P & S stamps in booklets of 10.
I've chatted with a couple of philatelist friends and they are planning to stop collecting Canadian stamps as well.

tasuth

Post by tasuth »

This is going to become more common with less people using stamps. They will cut costs by not delivering to your door.

drseg
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by drseg »

Hi,

I still have home delivery in my area. I am worried about the change to community boxes. How does it work for packages. I know there is a compartment that is larger in each community box for larger items and packages, but how does it work. The Postman leave your package in that compartment and everybody can take it????? How can that be safe? I and also all the other people who receive their mail in the same community box share the "package" compartment?? This is not safe and there is no privacy!?!?!? If it is the case I would never use Canada Post for package delivery! They will loose clients to UPS or FedEx....

memphre

Post by memphre »

drseg wrote:Hi,

I still have home delivery in my area. I am worried about the change to community boxes. How does it work for packages. I know there is a compartment that is larger in each community box for larger items and packages, but how does it work. The Postman leave your package in that compartment and everybody can take it????? How can that be safe?

I and also all the other people who receive their mail in the same community box share the "package" compartment?? This is not safe and there is no privacy!?!?!? If it is the case I would never use Canada Post for package delivery! They will loose clients to UPS or FedEx....
Hi

What happens is that the mailman leaves a key in your own compartment to open the package compartment. When you have taken your package, you drop the key into the mail box that is also a compartment of the community box. Altogether very convenient and secure. Much better, in my opinion and experience, than UPS who will leave a package on your doorstep whether protected or not from the weather.

If a signature is needed, the mailman is supposed to go to your home, as long as it is within 0,5km from the mail route. If you are absent, then you have to pick up the letter or parcel at the nearest Post Office on the next day. This again is better than with the private couriers who have few district offices.

My nearest Post Office is 7,5km from my place, but the closest private carrier office is almost 40 kms away and a pain in the bottom to get to in a snow storm.

If you live in a large urban area, you will find the private carriers all have offices in the outlying suburban industrial areas; places rarely well served by urban transit; whereas Post Offices are usually located within neighbourhood commercial areas.

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: http://www.delcampe.net/boutiques/memphre

drseg

Post by drseg »

memphre wrote: Hi

What happens is that the mailman leaves a key in your own compartment to open the package compartment. When you have taken your package, you drop the key into the mail box that is also a compartment of the community box. Altogether very convenient and secure. Much better, in my opinion and experience, than UPS who will leave a package on your doorstep whether protected or not from the weather.

If a signature is needed, the mailman is supposed to go to your home, as long as it is within 0,5km from the mail route. If you are absent, then you have to pick up the letter or parcel at the nearest Post Office on the next day. This again is better than with the private couriers who have few district offices.

My nearest Post Office is 7,5km from my place, but the closest private carrier office is almost 40 kms away and a pain in the bottom to get to in a snow storm.

If you live in a large urban area, you will find the private carriers all have offices in the outlying suburban industrial areas; places rarely well served by urban transit; whereas Post Offices are usually located within neighbourhood commercial areas.

Memphre
Ok thanks for the clarification. However, I wonder how often people keep that key or forget to return it. They expect that people are honest and will return it. Also anyone could make a copy of that key. Is it a "special" key that cannot be duplicated?

memphre

Post by memphre »

drseg wrote: Ok thanks for the clarification. However, I wonder how often people keep that key or forget to return it. They expect that people are honest and will return it. Also anyone could make a copy of that key. Is it a "special" key that cannot be duplicated?

The system is quite simple. You get a key in your box A, it is on a short chain and with a tag showing the number of the box it opens, you open the larger box B containing your package, lock it back and drop the key in the mail slot C. Obviously, if someone fails to return the key, the mailman cannot put it in an individual box for an other user; the lock has to be changed and a new key issued. The key is marked as a Canada Post property; I'm quite sure that appropriate blanks are not available in normal trade.

Memphre
Last edited by memphre on 19 Jan 2014 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

drseg wrote:Is it a "special" key that cannot be duplicated?
Surely it must be some sort of funny-shaped key that a normal key-cutting store wouldn't have blanks of. (I was 'fortunate' to always live in older neighbourhoods and had door delivery, so never had to fiddle with the supermailboxes).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

AMark

Post by AMark »

An image of a key used to open Community Mail Boxes.

Image link inactive. Removed

I don't know how difficult it is to make a copy of one, but if you are determined I am sure someone can make them.
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange

drseg

Post by drseg »

memphre wrote:
drseg wrote: Ok thanks for the clarification. However, I wonder how often people keep that key or forget to return it. They expect that people are honest and will return it. Also anyone could make a copy of that key. Is it a "special" key that cannot be duplicated?

The system is quite simple. You get a key in your box A, it is on a short chain and with a tag showing the number of the box it opens, you open the larger box B containing your package, lock it back and drop the key in the mail slot C. Obviously, if someone fails to return the key, the mailman cannot put it in an individual box for an other user; the lock has to be changed and a new key issued. The key is marked as a Canada Post property; I'm quite sure that appropriate blanks are not available in normal trade.

Memphre
Thanks for the info. One last question (I know I am picky; sorry). What happens if two clients have packages on the same day? There is only one B box... So I could take my package but nothing would stop me from taking that of another client...

memphre

Post by memphre »

drseg wrote:
Thanks for the info. One last question (I know I am picky; sorry). What happens if two clients have packages on the same day? There is only one B box... So I could take my package but nothing would stop me from taking that of another client...
There are 2 large boxes; the one I have written a «B» on is the largest: 2 standard ones wide and 2 high, the one to the left is only 2 high. There is only 1 key per box, so they will not leave packages to 2 different clients in the same box. They will leave as many packages as will fit into the box when they all go to the same address.

I don't know what the instructions are if 2 packages would need to be placed in the largest box on the same day. There aren't that many possibilities:
1- One client gets a delivery notice and has to pick up his parcel from the PO
2- One client gets delivery to his door
3- One parcel is put in the box and one taken back to the PO for tentative delivery on the next day.

Memphre

julesjelev
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by julesjelev »

aethelwulf wrote:
I wonder if there is some creative bookkeeping going on?
BC Ferries were in the same position of losing revenues, raising fares and cutting service. Then it turned out their CEO was paid a government salary of almost $1,000,000/year. This seems to be the case with just about every government organization in Canada. ICBC, for example, hike up the insurance rates and at the end of the year pay themselves exorbitant bonuses out of the surplus.

How does India do it, delivering letters for less than 1 cent and Canada cannot do it for 65 times that price?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I added a long piece about these mad letterboxes in my global stamp columns this month -

http://www.glenstephens.com/snfebruary14.html

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

julesjelev wrote: How does India do it, delivering letters for less than 1 cent and Canada cannot do it for 65 times that price?
I'm guessing that they pay their delivery people about 1/65th of what we do in Canada. Plus India, despite a lot of call centers and programmers, really is still a 3rd world country in a lot of ways, so 1st class mail volume will be a lot higher than in Canada because e-mail hasn't displaced it as a primary means of communications yet.

julesjelev

Post by julesjelev »

BarryM wrote:
julesjelev wrote: How does India do it, delivering letters for less than 1 cent and Canada cannot do it for 65 times that price?
I'm guessing that they pay their delivery people about 1/65th of what we do in Canada.
This is probably true. But it seems people in India can survive at this pay rate.
If we assume the minimum monthly pay in Canada is around 2,000, then 1/65 of this equates to $30.77. Can a person survive on this amount in Canada, even if the person has no car, lives out in the open and has zero expenses other than food and clothing?

This chain of thought suggests that either that 1 Indian Cent is not a real Cent but a much stronger currency, or that all prices in Canada are overinflated.

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

Canada Post's 1st mailbox changes coming in early February
New community mailboxes will be different from ones already installed

CBC News Posted: Jan 28, 2014 5:57 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 28, 2014 7:43 AM ET
Canada Post says it will unveil in the next two weeks which areas of the country will be the first to be switched from door-to-door to community mailboxes, as part of the phasing out of home deliveries.

Spokesman Jon Hamilton said the transition, announced in December along with other controversial plans, won’t start in urban cores across the country.

“We're going to start more in the areas where you already find community mailboxes nearby, where it will be easier to move forward and then work through the challenges as we go,” he said Monday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-post-s-1st-mailb ... -1.2513441

Hamilton said the new “superboxes” will look different from ones already in place when they start to be installed by the end of this year.

“They’ll be more suited not just to the type of neighbourhood, but the type of mail people get,” he said.

“People still get a lot of magazines in the mail, they still get a lot of small packets and parcels — our boxes were not designed for that but that’s the future.”

Canada Post says deliveries of online shopping parcels are the only growth area.

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-post-t ... -1.2526855

Canada Post targets super-mailbox thieves with bait mail
Bait cars, bait bikes and now bait mail used to track thieves
CBC News Posted: Feb 07, 2014 5:49 AM PT Last Updated: Feb 07, 2014 6:17 AM PT

Canada Post says it is expanding the use of so-called bait mail in hopes of stopping mail theft in problem areas, such as Surrey, B.C.

The Crown corporation says problems with community mailboxes, also known as super mailboxes, are rare across the country, but acknowledges incidents of theft and vandalism are troubling in parts of B.C.'s Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley.

Canada Post spokeswoman Anik Losier said it's not clear why community mailbox theft is such a problem in B.C., but the Crown corporation is taking steps to reduce it, including replacing problem boxes with higher-security boxes and planting tracking devices in fake mail.

"The bait mail is intended to catch those who are doing criminal activities," Losier said. "We know that when they bring that mail with them, it enables our postal inspectors as well as police to catch them."

Canada Post has had success with bait-mail stings in the past and plan to keep them going, planting more tracking letters to help apprehend thieves.

"We've been working very successfully with local police," Losier told CBC News. "There's been a number of arrests but that doesn't mean the problem is solved, so we'll continue to have bait mail."
hi-bc-130730-super-mailbox

A CBC investigation revealed that super mailboxes in B.C. were targeted by thieves and vandals thousands of times in the past five years. (CBC)

Losier couldn't say how many bait-mail operations have been run, or when they began, but a 2010 report from Surrey RCMP noted that the force instituted a successful bait mail sting with Canada Post in which 30 short-term surveillance projects of problem hot spots netted 39 arrests.

Losier said that overall, incidents of theft or vandalism across the country represent a fraction of a percentage point of all the mail that moves, but half of those incidents are reported in the Lower Mainland area.

The issue of mailbox security and mail theft is a growing concern for millions of Canadian living in urban areas, who will soon have their home delivery replaced with super mailboxes.

The union representing postal workers says the theft problems will persist — unless the company reconsiders its plan to replace home delivery with super mailboxes in all urban areas.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Super mailbox thieves now using keys, says Surrey victim

Christine Larsen says her community mailbox has been hit 5 or 6 times by sophisticated thieves

CBC News Posted: Feb 06, 2014 8:29 AM PT Last Updated: Feb 06, 2014 6:38 PM PT

A Surrey, B.C., woman says the thieves targeting her super mailbox are getting so sophisticated they now appear to have copies of the keys, enabling them to steal mail whenever they please.

The issue is bound to raise concerns for millions of Canadian living in urban areas who will soon have their home delivery replaced with super mailboxes.

Christine Larsen said she is furious about the lack of security of her super mailbox.

"We've been broken into five or six times," Larsen said.

The first few times a crowbar was used to get inside the community mailbox, but then she says, "They seemed to get hold of the actual key."

Now, Larsen said they can come and go as they please.

"We don't know when we're going to get hit again."

Canada Post spokeswoman Anick Losier said locks will be changed free of charge.

She said mailbox theft is a small problem across most of the country, but a big one in B.C. A CBC News investigation found thousands of super mailboxes have been targeted across the province in recent years.

Read more about the CBC News investigation
"Half of any incidents reported in Canada, are in the Lower Mainland," Losier said.

"Especially in the Lower Mainland we are dealing with highly organized, highly equipped individuals or groups of individuals."

Losier said the Crown corporation has developed higher-security boxes to replace the old ones in problem areas and that it's working with police to catch thieves.

"Certainly, we as well as local authorities are very much aware of it and just trying to develop new ways to deter these activities.

"If you see something suspicious please report it to Canada Post or your local authority."

Meanwhile, the union representing postal workers said the theft problems will persist — unless the company reconsiders its plan to replace home delivery with super mailboxes in all urban areas.

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

Canada Post's 1st new community box locations revealed
1st stage of a 5-year plan announced in December will involve about 100,000 addresses

The Canadian Press Posted: Feb 20, 2014 7:10 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 20, 2014 7:37 AM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-post-s-1st-new-communit ... -1.2544435

Canada Post says that in large cities during the first phase, only a few neighbourhoods will be affected. Delivery will continue to businesses. In smaller municipalities, nearly all households and a higher proportion of businesses will move to community mailboxes.

Eleven centres will start collecting mail at community boxes this fall as Canada Post begins its move to end door-to-door delivery. It's the first stage of a five-year plan announced in December and will involve about 100,000 addresses.

Canada Post says that in large cities during this phase, only a few neighbourhoods will be affected, and delivery will continue to businesses.
In the smaller municipalities, nearly all households and a higher proportion of businesses will move to community mailboxes. Canada Post says these neighbourhoods are near areas that already have community mailboxes, so the infrastructure is already in place. The Crown Corporation will ask for feedback about the change for use as the program moves to other communities.

The national mail service says rising costs and falling mail volumes have made it impossible to continue its traditional operations It says only about one-third of Canadians are still getting home delivery.

The 11 communities and the approximate number of affected addresses are:

Some neighbourhoods in Calgary (postal codes start with T2B, T3J —10,450 addresses).
Fort McMurray, Alta. (8,450 addresses).
Some neighbourhoods in Winnipeg (postal codes start with R2P, R2V — 12,500 addresses in West Kildonan).
Oakville, Ont. (26,400 addresses).
Neighbourhoods in Kanata (postal codes start with K2K, K2L, K2M — 7,900 addresses).
Rosemere, Que. (3,350 addresses).
Lorraine, Que. (2,550 addresses).
Bois-des-Filion, Que. (2,750 addresses).
Charlemagne, Que. (1,300 addresses).
Repentigny, Que. (14,400 addresses).
Halifax neighbourhoods in the Lower Sackville and Bedford areas (postal codes start with B4A, B4B, B4C, B4E, B4G — 9,950 addresses).

​​Canada Post's revenue dropped $20 million in the first three quarters of 2013 compared with the same time frame last year.

Here are some other numbers, from Canada Post:

5,094,694 people get door-to-door delivery in Canada.
Average cost per address is $269.
3,804,574 get mail through group mail boxes.
Average cost per box is $117.

A Conference Board of Canada report released in April said two-thirds of Canadians already do without door-to-door regular mail service, whether through rural mailboxes, group mailboxes, delivery facilities or "centralized mail points."

Federal Transport Minister Lisa Raitt said in September that cutting urban door-to-door delivery was worth considering. The report said mail volumes are expected to drop another 25 per cent in the next seven years, with parcels the only growth area thanks to e-commerce.

It said stopping door-to-door delivery of mail to urban Canadians and replacing it with community mailboxes would have the largest financial impact on a projected $1-billion Canada Post deficit by 2020. Canada Post said this plan will help return it to "financial stability" by 2019. It said the numbers do not include savings through pension changes or labour costs, since those two aspects will be worked out through collective bargaining.

Community mailboxes have been around since the 1980s, with the rise of new home developments, where they are now standard.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote:

A Surrey, B.C., woman says the thieves targeting her super mailbox are getting so sophisticated they now appear to have copies of the keys, enabling them to steal mail whenever they please.

The issue is bound to raise concerns for millions of Canadian living in urban areas who will soon have their home delivery replaced with super mailboxes.

Christine Larsen said she is furious about the lack of security of her super mailbox.

"We've been broken into five or six times," Larsen said.

The first few times a crowbar was used to get inside the community mailbox, but then she says, "They seemed to get hold of the actual key."

Now, Larsen said they can come and go as they please.

"We don't know when we're going to get hit again."

Canada Post spokeswoman Anick Losier said locks will be changed free of charge.
There's "progress" for ya!

Jps1949

Post by Jps1949 »

I missed this original discussion for some reason and started a new one - for which I was rightly told off by the sheriff.

I saw a newspaper report this week that quoted criticisms of the proposal on the grounds that elderly people could find it difficult to get to collection points that are some distance away from their homes. The response of the Head of Canada Post was that older people needed more exercise anyway!

So it is all a matter of looking after people's health and well-being! They are just being kind to us all.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

CBC has nicely plotted the rise in rates from 4 cents in the 1940s through to today. In a nice appropriate double-meaning, the graph is titled, "Pushing the Envelope".

https://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/interactive/stamp-prices/

Meanwhile, the CEO of Canada Post continues to try and defend what they're doing, but the public isn't buying his words (any more than they're buying stamps if they can help it). "We're losing money", the CEO says...meanwhile Canada Post has 22 vice-presidents... :roll:

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

Examples of covers showing letter rates from 1868 to the present can be found here:

http://postalhistorycorner.blogspot.ca/p/canadian-domestic-letter-rates-from.html

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

aethelwulf wrote:CBC has nicely plotted the rise in rates from 4 cents in the 1940s through to today. In a nice appropriate double-meaning, the graph is titled, "Pushing the Envelope".

https://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/interactive/stamp-prices/

Meanwhile, the CEO of Canada Post continues to try and defend what they're doing, but the public isn't buying his words (any more than they're buying stamps if they can help it). "We're losing money", the CEO says...meanwhile Canada Post has 22 vice-presidents... :roll:
It's certainly an interesting graph, and you'll have no argument from me that Canada Post is top heavy with management. But the graph doesn't have a consistent X axis, so it's rather meaningless. Plus for any kind of useful analysis, it should be plotted along with inflation rates for the same period. Finally, no graph is going to take into account the shift away from first class mail to electronic delivery, that has reduced revenues while retaining fixed costs (primarily the labour cost of the letter carrier). Of course, it might also be useful to plot the wage rates of letter carriers and inside workers vs. the cost of a first class stamp.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Yes, the graph on its own doesn't give the full picture..."rates keep going up over time", well that's obvious.

They should plot the cost of a stamp versus a loaf of bread or a litre of gas--"in 1946, you could mail 1 letter or buy 10 slices of bread; in 2014, 1 letter was worth 6 slices of bread" (assuming the bread-slicing machine wasn't cutting thinner slices :shock: ).

CBC also said the graph was "interactive"--the only interactive part was that hovering over each dot, gave you an image of 1 random stamp from that era. Problem though, the 1946 dot showed the 14 cent Tank definitive of that era.

flip138
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by flip138 »

That graph is misleading because the timeline (horizontal axis) is not linear. The result is to make the more recent rises appear to be less steep.

Phil

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

We are in Newfoundand today, and I saw this group of CMB at a gas station near the airport.

Is that sort of location usual?

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

That would avoid the NIMBY-ism of "I don't want those on my front lawn". And being in front of a gas station, there's less chance of someone taking a crowbar to them, as there'd be someone around most of the time (the clerk in the store if no one else).

And are those bottles of blue liquid anti-freeze? Ahh, Canada, nevermind its July. :lol:

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

aethelwulf wrote: And are those bottles of blue liquid anti-freeze? Ahh, Canada, nevermind its July. :lol:
Windshield wiper fluid I would guess.

MarginBlocks
Location: Milledgeville GA (the Antebellum capital 1804-1868)

Post by MarginBlocks »

I like the blue-wrapped birch firewood packaged next to the mail boxes. Must still be a trifle chilly.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

MarginBlocks wrote:
Must still be a trifle chilly.
It is St. Johns after all. :)

These large icebergs we took a photo of today right in the harbour here!

AMark

Post by AMark »

Great photo Glen. :D
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

That's from the top of Signal Hill, in the middle of town, from the Cabot Tower. They were many times that size last week the locals tell us. :mrgreen:

AMark

Post by AMark »

Global Administrator wrote:We are in Newfoundand today, and I saw this group of CMB at a gas station near the airport.

Is that sort of location usual?
In the area that I live, I have not seen any of these Community Mail Boxes located at a gas station or near a convenience store.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

What % of Shoppers Drug Marts have POs in them these days?

The one in photo nearby I took interior photo of today was on the outskirts of St. John’s, Newfoundland.

A large store, the Post Office section as can be seen, was surrounded by pallets of mineral water on special, and 10 packs Kleenex toilet tissue at $9.99 at far left were stacked up next to the wall of PO boxes.

The PO counter was surrounded by condoms, suntan lotion, burn cream, Listerine, baby food and elbow and knee braces etc. Seemed pretty bizarre to me. :mrgreen:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I took this an hour back in suburban St. Johns.

No way KNOWN would Australians be told they needed to walk 500 yards to collect mail from these week encrusted eyesores in the heat of Summer etc, just because it saved the PO a few bucks.

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

Global Administrator wrote: What % of Shoppers Drug Marts have POs in them these days?
I pick up my parcels (the ones that don't fit in the community mailbox or when a delivery attempt is made and I'm not home) at my local Shoppers Drug Mart. The clerks at the counter seem to know their stuff and are very knowledgable.

Barry

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”