Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

mikeg
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

Post by mikeg »

That must be the standard layout for Shoppers (here it is called Pharmaprix) since everyone I have been in has the same layout.

For some reason, they always have pallets of water in front of them :shock:

aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

Global Administrator wrote:What % of Shoppers Drug Marts have POs in them these days?
Shoppers and Canada Post have had a tie-up for how long? 20 years that I can remember.

The staff are usually pretty good, often they're posted specifically to the PO counter, but sometimes they'll switch between the pharmacy check-out till and the postal counter.

I send letters and parcels home all the time by registered, and it was driving my mother crazy to have to drive to the mall outside of town to pick things up from the Shoppers there. Finally one day she asked the staff why she had to, given that the town's PO is 4 blocks from the house. The staff agreed that the delivery people must be making a mistake and leaving the wrong collection notices.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

mikeg wrote:That must be the standard layout for Shoppers (here it is called Pharmaprix) since everyone I have been in has the same layout.

For some reason, they always have pallets of water in front of them :shock:
How about the Kleenex toilet tissue on sale at $9.99! :mrgreen:

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada-post-ends-home-delivery-today-for-thousands-1.2805833

Canada Post ends home delivery today for thousands
All urban home delivery to end by 2019

CBC News Posted: Oct 20, 2014 11:59 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 20, 2014 12:16 PM ET

Canada Post stops home delivery to 74,000 addresses in 10 communities across the country today, part of the Crown corporation's move to end all urban door-to-door mail service to five million Canadians in five years.

People in the affected areas will have to get mail from their local community mailbox.

Canada Post says it is phasing out home delivery, and cutting thousands of jobs, owing to financial losses stemming from falling mail volume and increasing use of digital communication. The corporation says Canadians mailed almost 1.2 billion fewer pieces of mail in 2013 than they did in 2006.
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/10/20/22018386.html

Despite protests and a court challenge, 10 communities across the country, including Winnipeg, Calgary and Ottawa, are making the switch from door-to-door mail delivery to community mailboxes starting Monday.

As well, Fort McMurray, Alta., Halifax and four Quebec communities — Bois-des-Filions, Lorraine, Repentigny, Rosemere — were saying goodbye to the postman at their door, Canada Post confirmed Monday.

Last week, angry customers and employees announced they were taking the Crown corporation to court in a last-ditch effort to save home delivery.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) and groups representing seniors and the disabled organized the court challenge and say it violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Canada Post, however, argues more than two-thirds of Canadians already do not receive their mail at home and the change is needed to save the service money and prevent it from becoming a burden on taxpayers.

On Monday, CUPW set up community mailboxes on Parliament Hill to protest the move away from door-to-door mail delivery.

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

Canada Post shuns Canadian companies for U.S. mailbox manufacturer

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/10/22/22022531.html

QMI Agency - Oct 22, 2014

Canada Post has come under fire for severing ties with a Canadian company and awarding the contract for its new community mailboxes to a U.S. manufacturer.

The Crown corporation confirmed Tuesday that it has contracted Florence Manufacturing in Manhattan, Kan., to produce its first batch of 100,000 new community mailboxes.

The mailbox style Canada Post wanted -- called cluster boxes -- are only licensed to be manufactured by three U.S. companies.

Canadian companies were not invited to bid on the contract.

"The decision to adopt a new style of community mailboxes was motivated by the rapid decline in mail," spokeswoman Anick Losier told QMI Agency.

The news has drawn criticism at home.

"We now have the government saying that Canadian companies are not even allowed to participate in the replacement of those community mailboxes," Liberal MP Kevin Lamoureaux said in question period.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

This is so typical of Canada Post management :?

Just give the contract to one of their golfing buddies :roll:

Many of the older boxes were made by a company my brother used to be involved with, Eastern Die Casting in Montreal (the company is no longer around), but I do not know who made others, although all were made in Canada.

The 'Licensing' issue is totally bogus :roll:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

librarianc wrote:Canada Post, however, argues more than two-thirds of Canadians already do not receive their mail at home
Canada Post has a very specific way of reaching this figure, that skews things in their favour. Its standard-practice in apartment buildings to have a bank of pigeon-holes in the front lobby. Canada Post considers that "mail not delivered to your door", as the postman isn't walking up and down the hall of each floor dropping things through door slots. But residents don't have to even go outdoors to get the mail; its secure being the building security door and there's a CCTV monitoring the boxes so nobody will bring a crowbar to break them open; and everybody will pass those boxes and can collect their mail on the way to work/the supermarket/etc, no special trip to wherever to the super-mailbox.

Remove apartment-dwellers from the equation, remove all the rural residents from the equation (CP might count "mail dropped in a box at the end of the driveway" as "not delivery to your door")--and what do you have? They should be telling us how many people are being served by supermailboxes now, but of course they won't do that.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

librarianc wrote:The mailbox style Canada Post wanted -- called cluster boxes -- are only licensed to be manufactured by three U.S. companies.
Why doesn't Canada Post design its own supermailbox then? They can hold the patent on it, and license Canadian firms to manufacture it. Heck, they might even be able to license the use of the design to other countries. But the way CP seems to operate, they'd end up spending millions on the process, and end up with a piece of junk.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

The latest hiccup in this debacle,
Bedford woman shocked her mail key opens neighbour's mailbox

A Bedford, N.S., woman has questions for Canada Post after she discovered the keys for her new community mailbox open not only her own mailbox, but at least one of her neighbour's as well.

Earlier this week, Elizabeth Kwiecien sent her son out to pick up the mail. It was the family's first time fetching the mail from their new community mailbox, which replaces home delivery this week.

But Kwiecien's son accidentally opened up the wrong box and brought home a neighbour's mail instead.

But Canada Post spokesman John Hamilton downplayed the issue.

"One key out of 74,000. We will replace the lock if she calls customer service. We'll be right on that and take care of it so she can enjoy her community mailbox," Hamilton said.

Some Quebec residents have also reported similar problems with their new community mailboxes.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/bedford-woman-shoc ... -1.2813488

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Maybe off topic (or not) :?

The clerk at my local outlet today told me they have been instructed that as of now they are not allowed to put stamps on packages :roll:

She is not happy about it as she collects stamps herself. They even only recently were able to get a canceller for the outlet.

You can still apply stamps yourself and bring it in.

JaceStamps
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by JaceStamps »

mikeg wrote: The clerk at my local outlet today told me they have been instructed that as of now they are not allowed to put stamps on packages :roll:
Just put them on before you go to the outlet. :)

I'm guessing this is just the employer not wanting things slowed down around xmas, not policy. Also, I believe they make a higher percentage on the printed stickers, than on postage stamps.
www.JaceStamps.com
PTS - CSDA - RPSC - BNAPS - GBPS - CPSofGB - IPDA - AHPS

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

mikeg wrote:The clerk at my local outlet today told me they have been instructed that as of now they are not allowed to put stamps on packages :roll:

She is not happy about it as she collects stamps herself. They even only recently were able to get a canceller for the outlet.

You can still apply stamps yourself and bring it in.
I worked at an outlet in Toronto, 15+ years ago now...when I left, the owner said "I'll never hire another stamp collector." :lol: He was always complaining about me using stamps on parcels instead of labels, partly for exactly the reason Jace mentions--labels are faster.

When I started working there, the stamp drawer had dollar-value stamps. To try to stop me using stamps, the owner stopped ordering the high values, so I would use blocks, even full panes if the parcel were large & heavy enough, of medium-values. He didn't like that, he said, "what if we run out of stock and a business customer wants stamps for a mail-out"...apparently the commission on stamps was higher than labels, but he didn't care. :o

I'd say its not a CPC policy at all...stamps are valid for postage, period. How could they "ban" them from parcels?

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

I am just repeating what the lady there told me today.

And as she owns the outlet, she is the boss.

She specifically told me that was the directive from CP :?:

It would not surprise me at all for it to be true :roll:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

JaceStamps wrote:
I'm guessing this is just the employer not wanting things slowed down around Xmas, not policy. Also, I believe they make a higher percentage on the printed stickers, than on postage stamps.
I'd guess that sums it up.

HERE the LPO if they buy in sheets and boxes of stamps need to pay for them in full within 30 days.

So there are always $1000s in stock laying about as paid inventory. Bad for any business.

Staff can steal them. Thieves and robbers can and do steal them.

If my PO places a $100 label on a parcel his 8% ($8) fee ends up in his account as a credit that business day. A cash flow DREAM if you do $10,000 a day in outgoing. $800 a day smooth profit without buying stamps, counting them, storing them, and paying staff to affix them.

JaceStamps

Post by JaceStamps »

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/community-mailboxes-breached-284959601.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Community mailboxes breached
Vandals pry units open in Brandon neighbourhood

By: Jillian Austin, Brandon Sun

BRANDON -- A community mailbox was pried open by vandals this week, leaving residents not only inconvenienced but concerned about protecting personal information.

The multi-unit mailboxes are currently being installed throughout Manitoba, replacing postal home delivery. They were initially promoted as being secure from theft.

Officers found Wednesday one group of Brandon boxes had been broken into, while the culprits were unsuccessful in their attempt to force open a second block of boxes.

Police say they don't know if anything was stolen from the mailboxes, located near Cornell Bay.

Sgt. Dallas Lockhart said an incident such as this is rare in Brandon.

"This is something that I don't think we've seen for many, many years, where a mailbox has been targeted," he said.

The mailbox is taped up and has a sign posted that says mail delivery will be suspended "until further notice." Residents must now pick up their mail at the Douglas Street office, near the eastern edge of the city. Fifteen mailboxes were in the portion that was pried open. The entire unit has about 40 mailboxes.

"What an inconvenience, and what a problem," said Coun. Jan Chaboyer. "I think that the city should have a dialogue with Canada Post on this service they're providing."

The nationwide conversion to community mailboxes is expected to be complete by 2019.

Chaboyer recently brought up the issue of community mailboxes at a city council meeting, as residents have expressed safety concerns about placement of new mailboxes in other areas.

"You want it to be somewhere accessible for anyone, if they're in a wheelchair or whatever, and you want it safe," she said. "Lighting is important too, because you can't even see...which box is yours -- that's how dark it is in some areas."

The councillor would like the city to meet with Canada Post to discuss placement of mailboxes, safety and what the protocol is when a box is closed down or damaged.

Seniors advocate Dayle Hughson said there are many concerns regarding community mailboxes, especially with the recent break-in.

"If Canada Post is no longer delivering mail to people's homes, then thieves will know exactly where to go to break into people's mailboxes to look for cheques, money and any valuable items that might be shipped through the mail," she said.

Hughson said she's "not totally convinced" the mailboxes are secure.

"A good crowbar could break into them," she said. "I would think if they can break into one, they can break into any of them."

Asking people to pick up their mail in the east end is very difficult for those with disabilities and elderly people who don't have vehicles, she added.

"I don't understand how they think people are going to get there," she said, adding offering a pickup at postal outlets, such as a Sobeys store, would make much more sense.

"We take the security of the mail very seriously and unfortunately are not immune to criminal activities," Canada Post spokeswoman Anick Losier said in an email.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 6, 2014 A11
www.JaceStamps.com
PTS - CSDA - RPSC - BNAPS - GBPS - CPSofGB - IPDA - AHPS

Kloster

Post by Kloster »

pardon the post... :)

As a mailman in Denmark, where apparents only a few years ago got all the mailboxes down to street level and private houses had to move theirs to the sidewalk (border between private and public property) - that made alot of headlines here! - elderly and disabeled persons can get their mail brought to the door. but apparently it's only the national post who does that, the private letter companies doesn't have to follow that rule (As I notice in their mailboxes - I always peek to make sure a fellow postie hasn't messed up, see alot of private courriers mail there, but guess who get's the blame...)

Can't help to think what kind out a outcry there were be here if small islands and the like were to setup such super delivery spots on land rather then a postie taking the ferrie to deliver mail to x amount of people there....

I keep reading that stamps are allowed of packages - here it's simple, if it got stamps on, it's a letter and can't be traced (unless it's sent registeret) packages/parcels got a big label with a barcode and all sorts of info and no stamps at all.

Kloster

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

The wrangling goes on and on...
Hamilton seeking restraining order against Canada Post super mailboxes

By Samantha Craggs, CBC News Posted: Apr 22, 2015

The city of Hamilton is going to court against Canada Post to try to stop the corporation from installing new super mailboxes.

The city became the first last week to pass a bylaw dictating that the corporation get a $200 permit for each community mailbox it wants to install on municipal property. The mailboxes are part of the corporation's plan to phase out urban door-to-door mail delivery across the country, including 117,000 Hamilton homes over the next 10 years.

But Canada Post says it doesn't have to follow the city's rules, and is going ahead with installing mailboxes on the Mountain this week anyway. It says the federal Canada Post Corporation Act trumps the municipality's rules.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-seeking ... -1.3044905

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

We are getting them soon :D

In my case, it will be close by and on the small park which is on the corner of my street, so I am fine with that.

If it turns out I don't like them, I will simply get a box at the local Postal Outlet, which I have been thinking of doing for a while anyways, and will be a business expense too.

Hopefully, it will not turn out the way the name of the person who signed the letter suggests :lol:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

At least they re-designed them to look a bit nicer.

Wonder if they're actually being manufactured in Canada now.

The opposition goes on though,
Amid mounting concerns over safety, privacy and litter, the dispute between the mail service and the city [Hamilton] is now headed to court.

Canada Post is already facing a lawsuit from a union representing postal workers that wants the Federal Court to declare the cancellation of home delivery unconstitutional. And a group of Montreal-area mayors last week said they were considering joining the action, accusing Canada Post of ignoring their concerns.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/cities-watch-clo ... -1.3078122

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Locally, it seems we are ok with the locations of the boxes- in the newer sections there are small parks or rest areas on the ends of almost every street where the boxes are being installed.

But in other areas I have seen some in absurd locations.

Yesterday I almost rear ended someone who decided to stop at their box without warning- the only place for them to stop blocks the street :shock:

That same box in inaccessible in winter, yet there is another box maybe 100ft away in an excellent location :?:

As for that hypocrite the mayor of Montreal objecting to them- he is only upset his Mafia cronies did not get the contract to install them :lol:

This is the same guy who puts lampposts in the center of peoples driveways and then refuses to have them moved :roll:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Canada Post's idea of putting the super mailboxes in new-build subdivisions was 'easy' enough for planners to handle...just set aside an open space at the end of the block for it.

But in older neighbourhoods, things can be pretty dense. In Toronto, I lived in the The Annex for awhile, and it will be tough finding plots there for these boxes. And those are $1m houses, so NIMBY-ism will rear its head I'm sure, nobody wants their property value and view potentially impacted.

pomerol
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by pomerol »

I suspect that if folks approach the super mailboxes with an open mind, they will find that there are benefits to those over home delivery. I have had both, home delivery and a super mailbox for more than 25 years now, and I much prefer the super mailbox.

Not only is your mail secure, but you can also pick up your parcels there. It is very close by, about 300 ft in my case and I am at the 'far end' of that super mailbox coverage. It is an enjoyable short walk, even in a snowstorm. Over time, you get to meet your neighbours when picking up your mail. There is a disadvantage if you are disabled, and Canada Post is offering home delivery in those cases.

There is no doubt that backfitting neighbourhoods with these super mailboxes needs to be done carefully. Given that these mailboxes are serviced by one 'postman' who needs to be able to park his vehicle close to the super mailbox for 10-15 minutes, I suspect that this helps ensure Canada Post selects fairly accessible locations.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Off topic I know :D

But on May 14 I mailed a 1.5kg Parcel to Greenland, and they received it yesterday May 19 8)

Less than a week - I thought the mail might go to Denmark and then be forwarded to Greenland, but looks like it goes direct.

But of course, Greenland is probably closer to me than Toronto is :lol:

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Not far off now- they have installed the footing for the mailbox on my street: :D

At least the location is good - at the top of the street in a small park on the corner.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Getting Closer :P

They installed the boxes last week:

The location is good - there used to be one of the green drop off boxes for the mail carrier here.

We are fortunate to live in an older area with a small park at the top of the street - nowadays they would cram a 50 unit condo complex onto the same spot :roll:

Something I like is they put the larger mail box (for sending mail) - that is the red box here:

Many only have one half this size - they must know I send a lot of mail :lol:

We also received the keys - however they are very cheap generic keys, so I question how secure they are :?:

Our first delivery will be August 17 :D

My box is #14 on the right hand box.

stephane

Post by stephane »

@mikeg: will your address contain the number of your box plus the number at the top of the units, such as 2-14 or such?

Stéphane

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Hi Stephane :D

I had not thought about it - they have not mentioned anything about adding to box number to our address :?:

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

From my experience, your address does not change. The supermailbox is linked to a postal code and the 'postman' delivering the mail knows which box number to put your mail in. Perhaps the street numbers are displayed when the supermailbox is opened? The box number allocation seems to follow the same order as the street number order.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Time to report 8)

It has been 1 week that we have been using the new mailboxes - and all is fine :D

I like the location of the box, we are one of the homes that is farthest from it - this is a semi-rural area, so the box is farther away than I see in most places.

The box we have is quite large, it will easily fit small parcels as long as they fit thru the door. It is deep enough that some people will have a problem reaching stuff at the back.

The box looks to be good quality, very solid.

The only quibble is the lock, it is solid but cheap - I always have to play around to get the key in.

As for the much touted 'health benefits' - not going to happen :lol:

I just came back from sending a parcel at the local postal outlet, which is about 25 min walk one way. So the 1 min walk to the box will not make a difference :shock:

The only people who walk to the box are ones like me who walk anyways, or those with small children.

The rest get into their car and drive to the box :lol:

My question is- what is going to happen in winter :?:

The first larger snowfall will see the box behind a six foot high snowbank.

At least ours is set back far enough to be behind the bank - some others I have seen are right against the curb :o

They will get hit/toppled over the first time the plow passes. :!:

Those of you who have these for a long time - does Canada Post send out shovel gangs to clear the boxes in winter :?:

Unlike places like TO, here life continues normally after a snow storm, so we expect to still get our mail, rather than waiting until it melts and it is safe to go out :wink:

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

mikeg wrote:Time to report 8)

Those of you who have these for a long time - does Canada Post send out shovel gangs to clear the boxes in winter :?:

The curb and platform of the supermailbox get cleared and sanded/salted after a snowstorm. During the snowstorm, you get to clamber over the temporary snowbank - one of the joys of winter. :)

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

thanks for the info pomerol :D

I will get to see how they do it in a few weeks :lol:

Have to say that so far I have no complaints about our box.

Plus, now that they can leave parcels there too, I might start having parcels sent here, rather than to my mom's house, as I do now.

There have been the silly stories in the media about people who get their arms stuck in the boxes :shock:

I see that Canada Post have announced they have stopped installing the boxes, now that Harper is history. Presumably, his little buddy that runs Canada Post is too busy packing his bags :lol:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Canada Post suspends plans to install community mailboxes
Carrie Tait and Les Perreaux — The Globe and Mail
Oct. 26, 2015 10:07PM EDT

Canada Post is halting plans to axe door-to-door delivery in favour of community mailboxes, reflecting one of the campaign promises of the newly elected Liberals.

But the move raises questions about how the post office will maintain service given the neighbourhood boxes were introduced to save hundreds of millions of dollars.

The Crown corporation on Monday said all of the conversions planned for November and beyond are on hold. Roughly 460,000 addresses across the country are in the middle of switching to community mailboxes, and thousands more have already transitioned. Canada Post expected to save between $400-million and $500-million a year after all of the community mailboxes were installed.

Justin Trudeau, the prime-minister-designate, promised in the party’s campaign platform to suspend the plan and carry out a study if elected.

“Canada Post is temporarily suspending future deployment of the program to convert door-to-door mail delivery to community mailboxes,” the company said in a statement Monday. “We will work collaboratively with the government of Canada to determine the best path forward given the ongoing challenges faced by the Canadian postal system.”

“The million-dollar question is: ‘How are we going to end up paying for this?’”

The government’s options are limited: It can either raise delivery prices or fund the Crown corporation out of government coffers, Prof. Poelzer said. It is unlikely that Canada Post will be able to make up the difference through automation and labour negotiations, he added.
Full article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-post-ere ... sf_globefb

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote:
Justin Trudeau, the prime-minister-designate, promised in the party’s campaign platform to suspend the plan and carry out a study if elected.

“Canada Post is temporarily suspending future deployment of the program to convert door-to-door mail delivery to community mailboxes,” the company said in a statement Monday. “We will work collaboratively with the government of Canada to determine the best path forward given the ongoing challenges faced by the Canadian postal system.”
Wow, the new broom is working already!

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Well, I can report the first major fail with our new mailboxes :shock:

We have had a few days of cooler weather where it is a couple of degrees below freezing :D

I just went and dropped a letter in the mail slot, and when I tried to open my box it is frozen solid :roll:

No amount of pulling or banging would free it up :roll:

We have not had any freezing rain or snow- this is just from the morning frost which comes off the river :?:

The boxes are going to look pretty rough quite quickly if everyone has to open it with a blowtorch.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Well, time for another report :D

Above I mentioned the door being frozen shut - today the lock was frozen solid. :shock:

This is going to result in a lot of keys broken off in the locks.

Again, there has been no rain or snow for a couple of days.

I'm guessing that CP's testing program on them should not have been done in the Bahamas :lol:

drseg
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by drseg »

Weird to hear this mikeg, personally I haven't had any trouble so far...

I must admit that I was really against these boxes at first, but now I really like them. I like the fact that I don't have to go to the post office every time I receive a package. I also feel that my mail is more secure, since it is now locked. The box I had at my door before wasn't; it was always an issue when I was gone for a while; not an issue anymore...

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

drseg- I like them too - it is very convenient to have a place to drop off mail right on my street. Just today I dropped off two lots of outgoing mail.

I agree, the mail is safer too.

I live on an island, so am close to the water. It is normal this time of year that everything has a layer of frost or thin ice on it in the mornings. The mailbox is in a shady area where it does not get sun most of the day, which would normally melt it off. This seems to be enough to freeze the doors & locks.

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

mikeg wrote: I live on an island, so am close to the water. It is normal this time of year that everything has a layer of frost or thin ice on it in the mornings. The mailbox is in a shady area where it does not get sun most of the day, which would normally melt it off. This seems to be enough to freeze the doors & locks.
I've had the occasional freeze-up problem during significant freezing rain. I used lock de-icer. You can also use windshield de-icer. They work well.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

I don't keep any lock de-icer around. My Volvo has never had frozen locks :lol:

Today they came and did a really excellent job of clearing the snow away from the box. 8)

Unfortunately, it has now been 3 days that no one on my street has been able to open the boxes :shock:

They are frozen shut - the locks & doors will not budge. You cannot even get the key in.

I am very disappointed with this - the weather we are having is just normal winter - it is nothing out of the ordinary.

It is obvious CP never did any winter testing at all on them.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Update :lol:

My brother finally got fed up of playing around, and took a propane torch to it :shock:

It opened - tomorrow I will go and put oil in the lock and spray the door with release oil.

drseg

Post by drseg »

Mike, it seems you're not the only one having problems with your box (see below); me still no problems so far.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/frozen-canada-pos ... ers-fuming

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Typing this from a country experiencing 100 degree heatwaves all this month reading the above is hard to believe!

Propane gas torches and de-icer fluid needed to open your mail box???!!! You can fry an egg on mine!

The mail service urged Canadians not to “take matters into their own hands. A well-intentioned short-term fix could cause more serious issues to the lock or the box and further impede access.”

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

So they are telling us that the boxes are not meant to be used in cold weather :?: :shock: :lol:

The area around our box smells of WD-40 - everyone is spraying oil into the locks.

It still only opens 50% of the time if you do not use a torch.

And I am supposed to spend 2 hours on hold phoning in to report it :roll: Yeah right :lol:

The older boxes appear to work fine, it is simply the cheap locks on the new ones that are the problem.

As I have already said, the weather is just normal standard winter weather - it is going to be in the -5C to -15C range from now to end of February.

There is no excuse for these problems.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

With the amount of mail the average household gets, what with online banking etc, you could not empty your box for a month and there'd still be only a small pile of mail there. But oh wait, the way CP pumps junk mail, it becomes consumers' chore to empty the box every day to make room for yet more instant-garbage.

I wonder if anyone has ever researched the carbon footprint and deforestation effect of junk mail. :idea:

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Maybe you need some nice post to make it worth opening your mailbox. I'd be willing to facilitate this!
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Finally my lock seems to be ok - it has opened every day this week even at -17C :shock:

I assume the locks were made with cheap grease which freezes and after blasting it with WD40, commercial mold release, and a couple other things mixed with the torch the crap grease in the lock has been washed out :lol:

One thing that I am impressed with is the snow clearing - someone comes regularly and the snow is cleared down to pavement. 8)

Although this does not seem to happen in other places - maybe the town is doing it here - I do not know.

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

mikeg wrote:
One thing that I am impressed with is the snow clearing - someone comes regularly and the snow is cleared down to pavement. 8)

Although this does not seem to happen in other places - maybe the town is doing it here - I do not know.
Here it looks like Canada Post has a contract with a person with a pickup truck with snowplow. They do a good job at clearing, sanding and salting.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

mikeg wrote: I assume the locks were made with cheap grease which freezes and after blasting it with WD40, commercial mold release, and a couple other things mixed with the torch the crap grease in the lock has been washed out :lol:
Surely these things are field tested before being installed?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

I am sure they could fill a boxcar with all the test reports :lol:

And every one of them is just as accurate as all their studies that showed people confined to their beds and in wheelchairs were 100% in favor of eliminating home delivery or the reports that only 30% of homes ever had delivery :roll:

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”