Australia Post gets OK to hike letter rate to 70c, March 31.

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Meanmrmustid
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Australia Post gets OK to hike letter rate to 70c, March

Post by Meanmrmustid »

New Stamp Bulletin is up and it has details of the new concession stamp.

No denomination on the stamp itself, and only available to buy in a $3.95 stamp pack.

Also interesting is that it is not included as being included in Seven Seas pages. Wonder if it will get a release in the annual collections?

https://shop.auspost.com.au/INTERSHOP/static/WFS/AusPost-Shop ... 7_high.pdf
stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stampchris »

Non-denominational stamps are an odd step, but at least collectors get an opportunity to buy the stamps.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
jjarmstrong47
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

If we needed any further proof that this was simply a publicity con.. sorry.. exercise, you only have to note that it is a "limited edition". The real target market is collectors, not pensioners.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net
PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by PeterS »

It could simply be a way of offsetting the potential cost to revenue by intended usage.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
Meanmrmustid

Post by Meanmrmustid »

The price of the stamp pack is essentially 5 x 70c plus the standard 45c extra for the Stamp pack it comes in, so even though it has no demoniation they are still charging collectors the price of a regular stamp.
markasmith
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by markasmith »

Noticed the Ashes PNC advertised as limited to 7000 in the Bulletin, when they have actually produced 7,500 :roll:
Perth Stamp & Coin Show 2022 at the South Perth Civic Centre
Friday 30 September, Saturday 1 & Sunday 2 October 2022
gmoney
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by gmoney »

I heard an elderly lady getting very upset when she was told that she wont be able to get the concession stamps just by producing her pension card rather that she has to apply for an Australia Post concession card...the poor AP staff member just said to her that it seems ridiculous to them too but they cant do anything about it.
John
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

markasmith wrote:
Noticed the Ashes PNC advertised as limited to 7000 in the Bulletin, when they have actually produced 7,500 :roll:
Yes they say 7500 on each cover I think?
warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

gmoney wrote:I heard an elderly lady getting very upset when she was told that she wont be able to get the concession stamps just by producing her pension card rather that she has to apply for an Australia Post concession card...the poor AP staff member just said to her that it seems ridiculous to them too but they cant do anything about it.
So where do we apply? Fill in the form at the counter. I guess this will make a FDC a rare item.

If you have to apply to Melbourne why not just buy from Melbourne.

Why have they been sent to the local POs?
jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

The whole thing is being made as difficult as possible to discourage people from bothering. Would you go to all that trouble just to save ten cents? :twisted:

You would have to post a lot of letters to pay for the time, cost and effort involved in getting the card.

This is the point, of course. Get the headlines for thinking about the pensioners but actually do nothing.

Has anyone heard the price of chocolate lately?
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

What it needs is positive action on the part of pensioners. If every pensioner deliberately posted their letters with only 60c stamps, the cost of collecting the extra 10c would be a major cost to the post office and might stop some of this foolishness.

That is, if anyone at the post office noticed, of course.Image
Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Meanmrmustid wrote:The price of the stamp pack is essentially 5 x 70c plus the standard 45c extra for the Stamp pack it comes in, so even though it has no demoniation they are still charging collectors the price of a regular stamp.
These will be difficult to find on commercial mail or FDC. :)
Justin
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Justin »

From brief chat with my local postmaster, it sounds like you can't buy these stamps even at full non-concessional price if you aren't a card-holder. I plan to get some FDCs made up, so it looks like I'll have to use some of those special collectors packs up to do it.

Anyone interested in a FDC should drop me an email before 24th March.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Robert1 wrote:
Robert1 wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:
https://auspost.com.au/media/documents/Parcel-Post.pdf

Everything up 10% across the board. They all went up heavily in October. And last March. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I send heavy cartons of stockbooks Hagners, Year books and junk boxes each day. $140 is OBSCENE for cheapest possible method.

Glen
On March 31 a heavy box to Alice Springs will cost about $140 Registered.

I can FLY to Alice Springs each day for $118. Pay the airline a modest fee to check in carton, and I get a holiday for LESS than mail cost. And box arrives same days not 3 weeks later, more important.
Almost worth flying it there yourself and making a short get away of it......
I might add, now with these higher rates there is even greater encouragement for all of us to use real stamps and nice stamps on these big heavy parcels (and any sending for that matter)!!
Rob, that has been my policy for 35 years, and now more than EVER does it make sense!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
john6625

Post by john6625 »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:What it needs is positive action on the part of pensioners. If every pensioner deliberately posted their letters with only 60c stamps, the cost of collecting the extra 10c would be a major cost to the post office and might stop some of this foolishness.

That is, if anyone at the post office noticed, of course.Image
Couldn't agree more. To make this worthwile AP would need to reduce the rate to 50% IMO.

If you haven't seen this thread take a look. Anyone can pretty much use any stamp denomination and AP probably won't pick it up.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51659
jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

If you haven't seen this thread take a look. Anyone can pretty much use any stamp denomination and AP probably won't pick it up.
As long as you don't post to Malmsbury, Vic. 3446.

We are pretty conscientious about this. I handstamp any unfranked mail in the morning, mainly because the stamps are worthless if used and not franked. We also add a post to pay sticker on any mail that needs it and the person has to pick up at the post office and pay.

This was in response to an increasing tendency of businesses not to pay postage on their mail. We had about twenty A4 envelopes from one firm one day, all without payment so we decided it was going too far. Now we check everything.

My rationale is that if we allow AP to make a loss due to our negligence, we can't complain if one day we don't have a job.
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Less than 2 weeks before the price increases and local post offices inc the Hobart GPO are basically sold out of any lower value 5/10/20 cent stamps.

Surely they could have been organized and gotten a heap of extras in as many regular mail senders who have boxes of 100 x 60c etc need make up values. :roll:
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

My postoffice has already received their supply of the "concession rate" stamps and instructions on how to apply for them.

How anyone is going to be able to do a FDC I have no idea as you have to apply and get the AP concession card to be able to buy the stamps first. Perhaps a few of our pensioner collectors should go and apply for the card now and be ready to sell a few FDC's on the 1/4/2014

I would also imagine that AP is busy preparing a 10c make up rate booklet right now, the same as they did the last time with the 5c ones. Although that must hurt the coffers with the production costs.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Allanswood wrote:I would also imagine that AP is busy preparing a 10c make up rate booklet right now, the same as they did the last time with the 5c ones. Although that must hurt the coffers with the production costs.
I suspect there won't be one. The 5c Fish is still on sale, and the 10c definitive has been reprinted.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

There was no mention of any new low value stamps being issued in the latest bulletin.....
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
My post office has already received their supply of the "concession rate" stamps
Will they sell them to you even at 70c each?

Used on mail now to collectors they'd be interesting covers!
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

No, I asked. :D There not actually on sale yet, he has them in a box out the back ready for release day. I don't think the barcodes are loaded up to work with the registers yet.

(For the same reason I couldn't buy all the remaining $10 Roo sheets in Jan- even though I could see them, they can't be scanned for sale when the barcode is deleted overnight with whatever updates they do. I asked at my PO and the one I use in Canberra with the same "sorry can't be scanned, can't sell them as they get counted out and sent back when withdrawn).

I'll keep trying though!

Or, I'll go mug (sorry "ask") a pensioner. :lol:

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

To make a concession stamp FDC would be a good idea for collectors.

Australia's first stamp with no denomination so lots of interest in this issue. :)
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I could get the covers stamped and potsmarked FDC (if possible) and worry about addresses and cache design later.

But, I wonder if there will be a generic post away to AP in Melbourne and have it done canceller, or if collectors prefer a legitimate cancel from the local postoffice? You would have about a month to get the generic ones cancelled, but would it be a truly FDC for the purists.

First "no denomination/value showing" stamp
First "concession rate"" stamp etc

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Allanswood wrote:I could get the covers stamped and potsmarked FDC (if possible) and worry about addresses and cache design later.

But, I wonder if there will be a generic post away to AP in Melbourne and have it done canceller, or if collectors prefer a legitimate cancel from the local postoffice? You would have about a month to get the generic ones cancelled, but would it be a truly FDC for the purists.

First "no denomination/value showing" stamp
First "concession rate"" stamp etc

As there's no FDC (blank or otherwise) for this issue, I reckon the generic cover (kangaroo jumping out of a stamp) would be suitable for a FDC.
Justin

Post by Justin »

I'm planning to make some FDCs using the generic envelope and getting the philatelic bureau's generic first day of issue post mark applied to it. From what I have worked out, the only way for collectors to get their hands on these stamps is to purchase the 'limited to 10000' special stamp packs and use those.

Nobody has taken up my offer yet (posted 5 days ago in this thread) so it looks like I'm only making one cover for myself so far.
Philanthropist
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Philanthropist »

Justin wrote:I'm planning to make some FDCs using the generic envelope and getting the philatelic bureau's generic first day of issue post mark applied to it. From what I have worked out, the only way for collectors to get their hands on these stamps is to purchase the 'limited to 10000' special stamp packs and use those.

Nobody has taken up my offer yet (posted 5 days ago in this thread) so it looks like I'm only making one cover for myself so far.
NO, you can make a second one for me, but i will have to go back to find the details of your offer.
Regards GOMC 3
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I was going to stock up on the prepaid envelopes at 70c each as I still understand it to be that once bought they are prepaid forever? In other words you don't need to add the extra 10c when the rate goes up?

But also AP has quietly increased the future price of theses PPE's to 85c from 31 March making you now pay 15c per envelope and not the previous 10c + stamp rate. Poo.

And I've tried to place an order for the limited release packs of the concession rate stamps on the website and you can't as they still don't recognise the product code. So it will be mail order then as it's right in front of me.

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Allanswood wrote:
But also AP has quietly increased the future price of theses PPE's to 85c from 31 March making you now pay 15c per envelope and not the previous 10c + stamp rate. Poo.
One LPO interstate who is a client of mine that I know, has ordered 20,000 of the current ones over the past month or two in batches of 1000 as I strongly suggested he do so.

So what he new sells for 70c he will sell for 85c next week.

Right NOW if you order them they are "out of stock" at HQ. :mrgreen:
john6625

Post by john6625 »

Managed to get one of the concession packs today and send myself five letters using them. The Post Mistress even postmarked them for me. I just hope they still go through the mail sorting machine and receive the spit. :)
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

They are already being sold at post offices? :shock:
john6625

Post by john6625 »

I was surprised too Tassie. I got my copy of the Stamp Bulletin today and it states the release date for these packs is today 24 March 2014.

So I hopped on down to the PO to pick up the pack that was put away for me.
Queenslander

Post by Queenslander »

Also the Booklets on sale to concession holders if you had completed the required paperwork.

Have a couple of covers I did up on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331160722599

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331160721076

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331160721700
Last edited by Global Administrator on 24 Mar 2014 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spaces and added url code to links as we ask for at ALL times
Collector of Australia and UK plus too many other bits and pieces. Look for me on Delcampe and Ebay as Queenslander also Ebay as queenslander-one & queenslander-1 for my Stamp offers.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Tassie_Stamps wrote:
They are already being sold at post offices? :shock:
MY LPO had a CARTON of these stamps arrive last week he did not order. And did not want.

Not a single person in Castlecrag has applied for a permit to buy them he advised.

As far as he knew then he could sell them to no-one else.
Queenslander

Post by Queenslander »

Correct the Concession booklets can only be sold to Concession Card holders and numbers sold are allocated to Holders concession card numbers who have registered with Aust Post
Collector of Australia and UK plus too many other bits and pieces. Look for me on Delcampe and Ebay as Queenslander also Ebay as queenslander-one & queenslander-1 for my Stamp offers.
muruk

Post by muruk »

Post office staff are not fully aware.

Ask for a collector pack and they shove a concession application form at you.

They have trouble understanding that there are two items on sale here ... a collectors pack for anyone to buy, and a concession booklet only for concession card holders.

Collector packs are now available on Australia Post website, but limited to 5 (they don't say per order or per person). Post offices didn't get many.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).
Bunge
750 THOUSAND POST BIONIC SUPERMAN!
750 THOUSAND POST BIONIC SUPERMAN!

Post by Bunge »

Hi all, after reading many posts I did two things :-
1) I ordered 5 "Stamp Packs" online with Aust Post, which is the maxium..
2) I went to my local PO with my Concession Card, but alas you have to jump through a few hoops before you can buy a booklet..

This is what the Postmaster told me after he handed me a form ~~"Application for a MyPost Account (concession)"

I have to fill out the form, then either take it back to them, or post it off myself.. Then I will be waiting for Aust Post to send me a card..
Then with the card I am then able to purchase a booklet of Concession Stamps.. The card is scanned and I am given the booklet.. I can buy only 10 booklets per year..

So if I wish I can buy all 10 booklets in one transaction [at] $3.00 each, then note the date and put my card away for 12 months, as I will not be able to use it again anywhere..

Hope that helps, Cheers Bunge :P
It's better to have them and not need them
Than to need them and not have them
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Bunge wrote:Hi all, after reading many posts I did two things :-
1) I ordered 5 "Stamp Packs" online with Aust Post, which is the maxium..
2) I went to my local PO with my Concession Card, but alas you have to jump through a few hoops before you can buy a booklet..

This is what the Postmaster told me after he handed me a form ~~"Application for a MyPost Account (concession)"

I have to fill out the form, then either take it back to them, or post it off myself.. Then I will be waiting for Aust Post to send me a card..
Then with the card I am then able to purchase a booklet of Concession Stamps.. The card is scanned and I am given the booklet.. I can buy only 10 booklets per year..

So if I wish I can buy all 10 booklets in one transaction (at) $3.00 each, then note the date and put my card away for 12 months, as I will not be able to use it again anywhere..

Hope that helps, Cheers Bunge :P
You are actually given a booklet of 5 for free too with your card.
jrg

Post by jrg »

So let me see if I have this correct:

1. a pensioner can save 10c per stamp up to a max saving of $5 pa.

2. if he posts in his application for a card, he's just spent 70c of the savings.

3. the rest of us can buy the stamps via the collectors' packs at 79c each.

4. once purchased, anyone can use the stamps.

Prediction:

1. The general response from most pensioners will be "too hard" (which is probably the desired outcome, given the costs involved for AP in administering this scheme)

2. these stamps used on commercial mail will be like hen's teeth, particularly the map because there are 50% more roos than maps in the booklets

3. creating your own commercial mail at 79c a pop is probably a long-term moneymaker, even more so if you know a compliant pensioner and can swap his 60c purchases for regular 70c stamps, leaving him no worse off
John

Looking for used pre-decimal OS/NSW and G/NSW state perfins, and NWPI KGV overprints.
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Close up pictures of this new Post Office Pack of 5x concessional stamps. :D

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

jrg wrote:1. a pensioner can save 10c per stamp up to a max saving of $5 pa.
Yes
jrg wrote:2. if he posts in his application for a card, he's just spent 70c of the savings.
Application forms need to be handed in over the counter.
jrg wrote:3. the rest of us can buy the stamps via the collectors' packs at 79c each.
Yes, but that is reasonable - 5 x 70c stamps + regular 45c markup for the pack. (though technically, the concession rate is not valid until 31 March, so what is the actual price of these stamps prior to 31 March?)
jrg wrote:4. once purchased, anyone can use the stamps.
Yes. Which is one I wonder how, and if, this will be policed.
jrg wrote:Prediction:

1. The general response from most pensioners will be "too hard" (which is probably the desired outcome, given the costs involved for AP in administering this scheme)

2. these stamps used on commercial mail will be like hen's teeth, particularly the map because there are 50% more roos than maps in the booklets

3. creating your own commercial mail at 79c a pop is probably a long-term moneymaker, even more so if you know a compliant pensioner and can swap his 60c purchases for regular 70c stamps, leaving him no worse off
Yes, Yes and Yes
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:Close up pictures of this new Post Office Pack of 5x concessional stamps. :D

Can you scan the back of the booklet? Would be interesting to see if the barcode on the booklets from the packs are different to the booklets sold over the counter.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I think that limited release post office pack will be scarcer than any commercial mail with the concession stamp on it. They only made 10,000 packs and everyone I know is tearing them apart to make FDC and FDU covers with them.

Very soon there will be plenty of the actual stamps available, just make friends with a few pensioners. But I wouldn't be tearing all those packs open.

I'd be very surprised though if the booklet sheet in the pack has a different barcode to the over the counter one. Actually I'd be astonished. :shock:

As far as our commercial mail goes, all the current stamps released are rare on cover - haven't seen a single Cooking Legends 2014 yet on anything.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Allanswood wrote:I'd be very surprised though if the booklet sheet in the pack has a different barcode to the over the counter one. Actually I'd be astonished. :shock:
While I would be surprised, there are philatelic and general barcodes on booklets, so why not on these? The only reason why they might not have a different barcode is the pack is barcoded.
Queenslander

Post by Queenslander »

Picture of Back and then Front & Back of Booklet Code Number *1501
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Wow, that Kangaroo design looks awful cropped on the cover.

Three observations:

1) Considering it is a non-value letter rate stamp, is there a set expiry on these or will we still see them being used out of old collections in 50 years' time?

2) There's 50% more Kangaroo stamps produced than the Australian Map design, so here's hoping the price guides will reflect that (albeit small) difference in supply.

3) These are going to be a nightmare for AP staff in mixed use with regular stamps on parcels, even if they are verboten. :lol:
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

ChrisGray wrote:3) These are going to be a nightmare for AP staff in mixed use with regular stamps on parcels, even if they are verboten. :lol:
Questions about the use of this stamp have been asked of Australia Post. I will post replies as soon as possible.
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Queenslander wrote:Picture of Back and then Front & Back of Booklet Code Number *1501
Thanks for these. This raises many more questions...

1. What is with that barcode? *1501?????

2. Why does a non-denominate stamp booklet have a price on the cover?

3. Obviously, the stamp can be used for higher rates. Only with other concession stamps? Or with 70c stamps?
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

stampchris wrote:
Allanswood wrote:I'd be very surprised though if the booklet sheet in the pack has a different barcode to the over the counter one. Actually I'd be astonished. :shock:
While I would be surprised, there are philatelic and general barcodes on booklets, so why not on these? The only reason why they might not have a different barcode is the pack is barcoded.

What I meant was that surely the booklet sheet inside the "collectors" pack is the exact same sheet that is available over the counter, barcode and all. They would not have done 2 production runs. :)

As for the extra value for the "sand map" compared to the Roo, I would doubt it. It's happened often enough before with booklets. There will still be oodles of them whether 2/5 or 3/5 of the production.

As for posting them in 50 years? Why not? They are after all our first "forever" style stamp. But who is going to hang onto them long enough to bother - your 60c now in the bank will outgrow that 60c stamp that can be used anytime.

muruk

Post by muruk »

Back of collector's pack showing barcode:
As far as I can tell, the sheetlet inside the collector's pack is an unfolded booklet, same as the concession buyers will get.

I seem to recall that Australia Post has promised that these will be available till at least 2017.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”