Perth WA Stamp & Coin Show, August 16+17, 2014. Join us!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Ace Auctions
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Perth WA Stamp & Coin Show, August 16+17, 2014. Join us!

Post by Ace Auctions »

I wanted to extend a very warm welcome to all Stampboards members to the annual Perth Stamp & Coin Show being held on the 16th & 17th August. The venue is the University of WA Guild Function Centre off Hackett Drive in Crawley. Entry is free, with plenty of parking outside and a good bus service from the city.

We are honoured to have Glen and Margo attending this year representing Stampboards and hopefully adding to the ranks. There are 25 confirmed dealers attending from both the Eastern States and locally and for the first time ever, an International dealer in the form of Willard Allman - a 29 hour flight for a 2 day show! :shock:

We also have an area with a further 20 tables of local collectors selling their unwanted stamps, coins, banknotes, postcards, etc and I can assure you this should be your first stop if visiting, as there are several bargains for the eagle eyed!

In addition, after a most successful Perth Stampboards members evening in April, organised by Rob Mandanici, we are having a Stampboards table at the PS&CS dealers dinner on Saturday 16th August.

I would encourage all local (and hopefully Eastern States attending) members to join us for a great night of camaraderie. A quiz will be held during the evening between the dealers and the collectors tables so we can establish once and for all who knows their philatelic onions! (Not sure which table Glen will be on!!) :D

So please do put the date in your diary, visit http://www.perthstampandcoinshow.com, and come and join us for a weekend of stamping with like minded collectors.
ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: 2014 Perth Stamp & Coin Show 16th & 17th August

Post by ewen s »

I'll be there for at least one of the days Ian and am looking forward to it.

Great news about the Stampboards table at the dinner too. Count me in if there's a spare spot.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Yes many thanks to Ian for inviting stampboards to have a table, and we hope to round up a few volunteers via this thread to mind the shop there now and again, as is how these things work well in Canberra and Melbourne etc.

Ian has ran a few of these before, and feedback from those attending has been very positive. :mrgreen:

Let's see as many here attending as can manage it. We are flying 4 or 5 hours each way, so hopefully all local based members can get themselves long!

Glen
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I'll be aiming to be there for most of the Saturday so happy to help man the table after checking out the goodies
markasmith
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Perth WA Stamp & Coin Show 16th & 17th August, 2014. Joi

Post by markasmith »

The West Australian, Perth Stamp and Coin Show is an excellent show and I would encourage all Stampboarders to attend, if you get the chance.

I have had a collectors table at each show and this year is no exception.

In fact, I will have two tables over the two days and am looking forward to catching up with as many people as I can.

One of the things I have noticed about this show is that it also attracts a lot of collectors that aren't part of the traditional philatelic club scene. Although, those that are, also keenly attend.

Ian and his family are really good hosts and conduct a very well run and advertised event.

It will be great to have Glen and Margo at this year's show.
Perth Stamp & Coin Show 2022 at the South Perth Civic Centre
Friday 30 September, Saturday 1 & Sunday 2 October 2022
john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Perth WA Stamp & Coin Show 16th & 17th August, 2014. Joi

Post by john6625 »

I will be attending one of the days, not sure which yet.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Perth WA Stamp & Coin Show, August 16+17, 2014. Join us!

The more the merrier. :)

Any other starters? :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Robert1
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Robert1 »

Good afternoon Stampboarders !

Well it is only a few weeks until the Perth Stamp & Coin Show and from what Ian tells me it is going to be one heck of an excellent weekend! (I should declare my small interest; my company is one of the event sponsors!)

The details are of course:

Saturday 16th 10am to 4pm & Sunday 17th August 10am to 3pm 2014
At the University of Western Australia, Guild Function Centre, Hackett Drive, Crawley

Now for the fun part the; DINNER, DRINKS & the QUIZ!

Drinks will kick off on SATURDAY NIGHT at 5:30PM at Steve’s, located at 30 The Ave, Nedlands, followed by dinner.

For the first time, and for what we hope will be a new tradition, the dinner will include a Perth Stampboards Table.

The quiz will be an epic battle of Stampboards Vs Dealers, with a good mixture of Stamp, Coin and General Knowledge Questions with a load of generous prizes.

For dinner there are two options, a 2 course option for $65 or a 3 course option for $80 – menu and more details about the venue are below.

FOR STAMP BOARD MEMBERS: Please RSVP with your choices via this forum, or feel free to message me or Ian directly BEFORE Sunday 2nd August, otherwise Ian will choose for you!

More about the Awesome Venue: https://www.steves.com.au/
The Menu:

Warm Regards, Rob, If you have time, please visit my blog: http://sparetimecollector.blogspot.com/
Collecting: Fine Used Australia 1913 - Current | Australian Territories | Hong Kong | Malaya/Malaysia | Straits Settlements
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Thanks for posting that Rob .. I think if we keep it here all Perth comments can stay in the one place. :)

Count Margo and I in for dinner, and hope we round up a nice little table of members. 8)

So who else local will be at our table?

For the benefit of anyone coming into Perth from outside, Ian's newsletter had a handy note that the Sheraton Four Points had a great rate of around $105 a night for that weekend.

We booked Fri/Sat/Sun. We stayed there last year and the rate was about $250 a night, so current rate is a hot deal. :)

Downtown near the station, it is a pretty handy location.

Ian said some of the interstate dealers were there so there will be a decent chance of cab sharing etc.
Robert1

Post by Robert1 »

Thanks Glen and those hotel room rates are VERY good, so I would recommend to all interstate & international dealers & attendees to the show to consider them.

Hotels in Perth can be notoriously pricey at the last minute so this is a VERY good deal. Not only that, but it is a pretty good hotel, very close to the station, bus terminal and a quick stroll into the city, Northbridge, bars, cafes, restaurants & shopping precincts.

Of course, I am an RSVP for the Dinner (for two please) :)
Warm Regards, Rob, If you have time, please visit my blog: http://sparetimecollector.blogspot.com/
Collecting: Fine Used Australia 1913 - Current | Australian Territories | Hong Kong | Malaya/Malaysia | Straits Settlements
markasmith

Post by markasmith »

My wife and I will be attending the dinner and have submitted our menu choices to Ian.

Have told Ian we will be happy to join the Stampboards table so we will see there!
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Morning, I'll be there for the dinner and quiz thanks.

Will send through the menu choices today :D
Barbara
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Barbara »

Look forward to catching with everyone on Saturday
and RSVP for one for dinner Saturday night.
Barbara.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Time marches on .. so we seem to have about 8 for the stampboards table? Any other starters? :mrgreen:

Is there a local member who might loan us a small flat screen TV screen we can use at the stand?

Jaywalker at Canberra earlier this year loaned us the ones shown below, and Kevin Morgan helped out in Melbourne at EXPO.
MargoZ wrote:Ready for business on Saturday morning:

Kevin Hedley supervising Anna and John- new members from Newcastle

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I can't Glen, still have a rear projection, non HD monster :oops:
Ace Auctions

Post by Ace Auctions »

Hi everyone, well with 10 days to go, the show is shaping up nicely. We have the 25 dealers all confirmed and the Four Points Sheraton in Wellington Street in Perth appears to be the "collectors city base" for accommodation and daily breakfasts.

The Saturday night dinner has a total of 26 so far with 11 Stampboard members and 15 dealers so for the balance of the quiz, lets have another 4 Stampboards members!! (partners and friends of members also welcome) The last Stampboards dinner organised by Rob was one of the best "stamp" outings I've had so please consider coming and with Glen and Margo in attendance I can guarantee a warm welcome awaits. :D

Glen, I now have a flat screen TV/monitor at your disposal for the weekend and an IT guru a phone call away should there be any "technical hitches"!

For all those who are yet to visit www.perthstampandcoinshow.com, please do so to see the range of dealers plus the services on offer including free coin, banknote, stamp and postcard valuations and a tip to those attending.........go upstairs to the collectors tables first!! :wink:

Looking forward to seeing all those that can attend. Ian
Robert1

Post by Robert1 »

Good evening !

I will echo the words of Ian and encourage anyone who is thinking about the dinner & quiz to jump on board, register your interest here and email over your menu options.

We are working on a special little give away for the weekend...... Paddington Realty will be running a competition for the show weekend.... "guess the number of stamps in the jar" (it's a decent size jar too)....... some conditions will apply, but don't they always ?

It's not as easy as it sounds to count every stamp..... gets a bit repetitive but we are nearly there!

Be sure to come and visit us at the show, record your guess and pick up some free goodies :D (Yes FREE)
MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MargoZ »

Thanks for organising the monitor, Ian.
Looking forward to the show and catching up with some of our WA members.

Cheers
Margo
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ace Auctions wrote:
Glen, I now have a flat screen TV/monitor at your disposal for the weekend and an IT guru a phone call away should there be any "technical hitches"!
Many thanks Ian .... a large TV screen works well for what we do at these shows. :)

I am sure I need some kind of lead to go from TV to a laptop but it depends on what output yours has .... may I ask you to take a peek and advise please? I think something called 'SCART' is what we needed in Canberra. I can order one on ebay and have it mailed if I know what plus your end needs!

Show is here in a few days folks so all Perth members please chime in if you are joining the stampboards table for dinner so Christine has some accurate numbers. :)

Glen
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

And a heads-up if anyone attending wants me to schlep over a heavy box of discount price Lighthouse stockbooks, contact me ASAP, so I can get them packed. :mrgreen:

A box of 10 Reg'd Post costs $55, and a box 20 costs $75 to Perth by cheapest ROAD Australia Post these days (I kid you not), so if I check them onto the plane you'll have them in days, not weeks - and save a TON on shipping. :idea:

Costs here - https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=55080

Australia Post treats WA like a foreign country with heavy parcel rates. 8)

Glen
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Hi all,

I emailed Rob but thought I should post here too.

We have had an unexpected death in our family and my wife will be flying back to NZ for a funeral on Saturday. This means I will be unable to attend the dinner and quiz as I’ll be looking after our 2 year old (we don’t have family in Perth).

I was looking forward to an evening out with the Perth ‘boarders I have met, and with some new faces, not to mention Glen and Margo. I'm still going to try and make it to the show on the Saturday but will have the wee one in tow and will not be able to stay for long. Not sure the dealers will appreciate a two-year old running around and she’s at that age where she doesn't really like being carried.

Hope it doesn't put any bookings out and I'm also sorry I won’t be able to help with the stand for long.

Ewen
john6625

Post by john6625 »

My deepest condolences Ewen. My Thoughts are with you.
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Yes Ewen- hope your wife is OK at this sad time and a shame you'll miss the dinner.
Hope you get to the show for a bit

Best wishes Margo
KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Hope all goes well in Perth. Also hope that Ewen and his family are soon back on an even keel.

If Glen does not behave himself you could keep him over there for a while as punishment. Come to think about it that would be punishment for you, not for him. :roll: As for Margo, we know that is a lost cause so good luck to you all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here to learn
Here to enjoy
Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Please also convey my condolences to your wife and family Ewen.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Thank you all for your kind words :)
markasmith

Post by markasmith »

Sorry for your loss, Ewen :(

Hopefully, you will still be able to visit the show.

If you do, please stop by my table in the collector's area to say hello :)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Sorry to hear that Ewen .. do pop by and say hi though if you get along. :)
Sark
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Sark »

Ewe Sorry to hear your sad news, please pass on our sympathies to your wife.

To everyone going to the fair I hope you have a great time. Being based in the UK and having never visited Oz it would be great to see some photo's of the event.

From a postal history collectors point of view I would also love to see some of the bargains SB'ers find at the show. Please post your discoveries on the "things I bought at a stampboards mentioned fair" thread. I'd post the link but can't do so from my antiquated iPad.

Good hunting

Sark
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Show opens to the public in 90 minutes from time of this post - see you all there folks! :)
intaglio261
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by intaglio261 »

Steve here, making my second post appearance in 6 years!
Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Brummie »

Welcome back intaglio261.

I was wondering what happened to you. :lol:
Swan
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by Swan »

Geoff here, just signed up at the show. Have a question on a WW2 Thai cover I just bought upstairs and will add that later here.
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

We'll look forward to that Swan. :mrgreen:
Robert1

Post by Robert1 »

intaglio261 wrote:Steve here, making my second post appearance in 6 years!
Welcome back Steve!

Come down the back and claim some free chocolate coins !
Roparta
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Roparta »

I'm here at the show having a great time. Come and join us!
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

That's it, make me feel good. I was supposed to be in WA this last week for a 1st birthday party but work got in the way. When I was planning the trip I didn't even know the stamp show was on so it makes it doubly bad. :cry:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

What a shame Brummie...you could have joined Barbara and I who are sitting at the SB stand having a great chat :-)

Still lots of people about...pics to come later this evening!
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

A couple of pictures from beautiful sunny Perth. Off to dinner now but more to come 8)

Floor Manager Damian, and stampboards member Barbara at our stand

Stampboarders EwenS and the gorgeous Sophie, with Robert1 and wife Christina at Robert's stand

The event host Ian Boulton busy at his stand.

The organisation for the whole event has been outstanding.

Many thanks to Ian and his wife for a great event to date with more to come tomorrow of course.
KGVI
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by KGVI »

A few more photos of today at the Perth Stamp & Coin Show.

I've blown my budget but got some great bargains.

Tomorrow will be even better.

The Stampboards stand ladies Margo and Barbara were enjoying their show:

Glen was in his element:

What would he ever do without his computer?

And let me show you one of the bargains I purchased today:

I'll not tell you how much I paid but it was an unbelievable bargain.

It's on again tomorrow, and well worth a visit.

Take your credit card.
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Thanks for the update KGV1

More pictures as promised:

THREE vans with personalised stamp plates!!???
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Robert1 and wife Christina with their 'count the stamps" guessing game. :)

Stampboards member markasmith with one of the successful "collector" tables.

The future of the stamp collecting hobby!

Host Ian Boulton (centre) from Ace Auctions, Perth.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Robert 1 and Christina, and Glen and Margo at pre-dinner drinks.

Show host and hostess - Ian and Christina Boulton from Ace Auctions Perth.

The "Dealers" table who lost miserably in the Quiz ..... led by Richard Juzwin facing camera right, paying absolutely no attention to questions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Part of the all conquering STAMPBOARDS team paying careful attention to the questions. Markasmith left, and Barbara centre

"Best Stand Of The Show" to Phoenix Perth (standing left) and "Secret Shopper" (centre) and Ian Boulton (right)

The highly alert and very focused STAMPBOARD table at dinner on round 3 of questions. 8)

The losing "Dealers Table" again, all goofing off, and paying no attention to the questions. :mrgreen:

Ian Boulton frantically re-pricing all his stock. :)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

And special mention to dealer Willard Allman who flew 12,000 miles from New Jersey for this show. :mrgreen:
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

The show looks really good and I would have loved to have been there especially with Margo and Barbara, we would have made a great trio at the table. :wink:

So who won the quiz, or does it go without saying?
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

It was lovely to meet up, however brief. A special thanks to Barbara who babysat Sophie so I could say hi to Mark upstairs.

A packed place and I hope everyone did well as stand holders or purchasers :)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Brummie wrote:
So who won the quiz, or does it go without saying?
They didn't have a chance, the poor things. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quizmaster Christina wrote 30 questions way above their skill levels. :mrgreen:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

All happening this morning..Paul Saunders has just popped by.
warm

Post by warm »

Just goes to show that stamp collecting is fun - especially in the company of friends.

Enjoy the show.

Tony
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”