$300,000 of Mint stamps stolen from Sydney PO's - Video

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

$300,000 of Mint stamps stolen from Sydney PO's - Video

Post by GlenStephens »

I was contacted by Dimity Clancy of Channel 9 'Current Affair', and also Channel 10 News on this today, and some other media outlets as well.

Just stepped off the plane today from a week in Darwin, and up to my eyes in paperwork bushfires, and a stack of orders, and tradespeople here at the house sadly, so told Channel 9 I really did not have time today (they were driving over here, right they were on phone!) and suggested to APTA they contact Danny Jurd at Velvet Auctions for comment.

The body shape and stance of these crims in this CCTV footage, even when hooded might give someone a clue -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-06/cctv-footage-of-a-seri ... ng/6447974

More than $300,000 worth of stamps have been stolen in a series of "unique" break-ins at Sydney post offices, with NSW Police releasing CCTV images of the suspects.

Police said the stamps, along with cash, mobile phones, SIM cards and other stock had been stolen in more than 20 break-ins since March 2013.

CCTV footage has been released of two men as part of an appeal for information.

Post offices at Alexandria, Artarmon, St Peters, Crows Nest and Kingsgrove have been targeted.

Strike Force Ingram was set up to investigate, and anyone with information is being asked to contact Crime Stoppers.

Police said while the two people filmed on CCTV have their faces concealed, it is hoped someone will recognise them.

Redfern Region Enforcement Squad investigator, Acting Sergeant Kath Griffin, said investigators believed the incidents were linked.

"In addition to similarities throughout the break-ins, the targeted theft of postage stamps is unique," she said.

"The men depicted in the footage appear to be the same two men and, while they have their faces concealed, we are hoping someone may recognise one or both by their eyes, stature, walk or the way they move".

Acting Sergeant Griffin said it was unclear exactly what the thieves were doing with that amount of postage stamps.

"That's the $300,000 question. We have no idea at the moment of what the two males that committing crime are doing with the stamps, so that's why we're appealing to the public to contact us if they know anything."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-06/theft-of-unique-postag ... tv/6447774
= = = = = = =
"We have no idea at the moment of what the two males that are committing the crime are doing with the stamps"

Durrhh .. selling them of course! A few ebay accounts have REGULAR offers of bulk lots of current stamps, Express Post Satchels and boxes and Registered envelopes etc, offered at well UNDER the price even Licensed Post Offices can buy them for.

Allowing for the 10% ebay/paypal fees deducted cheerfully by EBay/paypal, it is obvious they are stolen.

A large Express Satchel sells at POs for $24.15, and overseas pre-paids cost a fortune.

A thin "B4" Documents Registered prepaid envelope costs $22.90, and the range of pre-paid overseas Registered satchels and boxes can cost up to $499.50 EACH for the large size Registered box, and $474.55 EACH for the large prepaid Express box.

A simple trawl via ebay "SOLD" listings will yield the Cops a goldmine of sellers offering these regularly, in quantity, and at well under the actual cost from POs. Pretty clearly STOLEN goods one can surmise.

Often "sold" via Ebay Singapore, from Australian sellers setting up "private sales" for Australian buyers, to avoid ebay Australia fees.

Ebay here will of course not offer any assistance, unless they are served with a warrant, as they make 10% from the sales, even of stolen material, and profit is their only interest these days it seems pretty clear.

The same way ebay allows a permanent raft of sellers offering totally forged and fake stamps on ebay, via dozens of duplicate accounts linked to the same fakers, and do absolutely nothing about it. Even when alerted by 100s of collectors to ask them to remove the fake listings.

Ebay/Paypal make the same 10% on forged stamps and stolen stamps as genuine ones, and that seems their sole interest these days. A safe secure marketplace to buy stamps does not appear to be of any interest to ebay.

Even totally non existent stamps ebay cheerfully allows to be sold, the buyers never get them, and the faker vanishes with the money.

Ebay were warned SCORES of times this month, that this fellow below was a totally obvious scammer, and they ignored it, and STILL have not closed this account despite Negative feedback pouring in as you can see, that ebay buyers have been totally ripped off!

https://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&u ... llFeedback

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: $300,000 of stamps stolen from Sydney PO's - Video

Post by Allanswood »

Well it can't be any of the Grumpy Old Men - not enough of a beer belly. :lol:

So it raises a few questions - They don't have decent alarm systems? And how did they get in past toughened glass windows and proper security locks on the doors? They are also well aware of the cameras being there. Insurance scam?

It's a cheap way of covering your postage costs for a dodgy mail order business.

Selling/Auctioning rolls of stamps less than face with "over ordered not required" always works.

5 min video interview with the Police:

http://tenplay.com.au/news/national/latest-news/latest-news/ ... len-stamps

You can almost see them both about to break into a smile when asked, "what can you do with $300,000 worth of stamps?"
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Police admit: "This case has us licked."
"It's a sticky situation."
"Emergency wards have been asked to be on the lookout for 2 men with dry mouth syndrome."

:D
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Allanswood wrote:You can almost see them both about to break into a smile when asked, "what can you do with $300,000 worth of stamps?"
They must have been reading Norm's dreamers thread. There you can see single, scruffy, torn, common stamps for sale at $75,000!

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=379&start=3800

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Eyewitnesses identify this man as one of the perpetrators:

Both men were seen escaping in this car, if you recognise it let crimestoppers know:

If you come across them, do not approach; they are gummed and dangerous.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I have nothing to add.

Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Allanswood wrote:5 min video interview with the Police:

http://tenplay.com.au/news/national/latest-news/latest-news/ ... len-stamps
"The only way you are supposed to buy stamps is from Australia Post"

LOL what a load of nonsense.

You can buy stamps wherever you want and all dealers sell discount older mint postage, what else are they supposed to do with it all, there is not the demand for 80's stamps anymore, and you'll never use up the whole lot for postage yourself unless you live to be 300 years old. :lol:

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

So as this is a regular thing now with many NSW PO's having stamps stolen, why do they not lock away their books of stamps in the safe every night? Takes a few seconds to do and would save $300,000 of stuff being stolen :roll:

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

More discount postage than ever about to hit the market.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:
"The only way you are supposed to buy stamps is from Australia Post"

LOL what a load of nonsense.

You can buy stamps wherever you want and all dealers sell discount older mint postage
Yes it seemed naive for a Police Sargent to be saying that at a Press Conference she called, when that police person has been working on this crime wave for years.

The Channel 9 reporter asked me the same thing, and I just laughed and said dealers have lots of mint stamps they buy from stamp collections, and they are sold below face value.

All 105% legal, and they sell well. :mrgreen:

I sell parcels of $1000 of mint stamps for $700, and plenty of folks are happy to save $300. Sure they need to fiddle with face values of a decade or so back - 45c or 50c etc, but to save $300, many small businesses and ebay sellers etc do not mind. :lol:

http://www.glenstephens.com/postage.html

Glen

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:So as this is a regular thing now with many NSW PO's having stamps stolen, why do they not lock away their books of stamps in the safe every night? Takes a few seconds to do and would save $300,000 of stuff being stolen :roll:
I am willing to lay odds against the chance that LPOs - even most official P.O.s these days - wouldn't know a safe if they broke their toes on one :roll: :roll:

In the course of my own ramblings, I've been to LPOs housed in old post office buildings which do have a safe-room... all safely boarded up and completely impervious to entry :shock:

From the CCTV footage, these boys appear to consider themselves quite safe, and almost nonchalant in their attitudes. The interview portrays the acting Sergeant as almost inept in her attempts to field the media questions.

Theft of stamps is a joke.

Well, no. It's not.
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Allanswood wrote:
So it raises a few questions - They don't have decent alarm systems?

And how did they get in past toughened glass windows and proper security locks on the doors?

They are also well aware of the cameras being there.
My thoughts exactly.

We are talking some MAJOR size PO's here.

There have been TWENTY THREE DIFFERENT PO's involved .. 3 in one night. Where were the alarm systems?????

All thefts appear to have been done at night as they are using torches.

==========

I was just watching Channel Nine TV News and they had a piece on this. As I suggested they drove from heading to here to interview Danny Jurd who owns Velvet Auctions in Sydney.

In the usual inept mainstream media manner, they captioned him as "Danny Jurd - STAMP COLLECTOR" and a lot of their footage was on a reconstructed sheet of GB 1856 1d Red QV stamps for reasons known only to Channel 9!

Totally clueless. They also had a a lot of graphics of where all the robberies took place with a large 60c stamp ... nobody has told them we've been 70c for a year or so.

ewen s

Re: $300,000 of Mint stamps stolen from Sydney PO's - Video

Post by ewen s »

With those 'losses' it will be 80c by the end of the month. Wonder what Turnbull in a hoodie would look like? :lol:

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Global Administrator wrote:There have been TWENTY THREE DIFFERENT PO's involved .. 3 in one night. Where were the alarm systems?????
It just screams "Inside Job", doesn't it? If I was the local Plod, I'd be looking VERY closely at people who had legitimate access to those POs - including maintenance crews, cleaners, alarm fitters etc. :idea:

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Any business with bulk cash and stamps (which in this case are essentially currency) that doesn't have strong security systems in place is mad.

All the stamps and cash should be stored inside modern safes, which even if you are a locksmith would take hours to break into. Don't store bulk stamps inside unlocked cupboards and draws when you know there is a spate of thefts targeting these specific areas.

The noise level of the alarm system should be set to the highest possible, that way the offenders will go temporarily deaf as soon as it is set off, and that will scare them and make them run - the noise will be audible from several blocks away.

Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Bell states "There is just so little known about ... the stamp industry from our policing prospective that it's very difficult to locate where the stamps are going"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EWtQ5Wj48

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Excellent link Tassie .. I urge all interested to click on it.

It seems from watching that long footage they jemmy open the back door of the PO's to gain entry. WHY that does not set off really loud alarms sure beats me.

Glen

warm

Post by warm »

Wonder if they stopped at the local all night MacDonalds before they hit the St Peters branch. lots of CCTV there.

Or other all night foodie spots they would have worked up a thirst.

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

gavin-h wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:There have been TWENTY THREE DIFFERENT PO's involved .. 3 in one night. Where were the alarm systems?????
It just screams "Inside Job", doesn't it? If I was the local Plod, I'd be looking VERY closely at people who had legitimate access to those POs - including maintenance crews, cleaners, alarm fitters etc. :idea:
I agree. Plus whoever delivers them in the first place. I would think it would be someone whose role involves being (mis)educated on the incredible value and importance of what they are looking after.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ewen s wrote:
I agree. Plus whoever delivers them in the first place.

I would think it would be someone whose role involves being (mis)educated on the incredible value and importance of what they are looking after.
The robberies were widely spread from Avalon on Northern Beaches, to Western Sydney, to ACT, to Central Coast. Different staff on PO side in all areas.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Craig

Post by Craig »

That youtube video was from two years ago and they are still at it??? Wow.
Cheers,
Craig

stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stampchris »

Global Administrator wrote:
Not only have they got the rate wrong, but what is that stamp just to the left of the '60c stamp' showing someone with the Australian flag? Certainly isn't a genuine stamp!
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I was just trying to work out how small a package you would have to grab to steal a few thousand dollars worth of plain domestic rate stamps and it's quite surprising how little the box would be...

If you take a normal A4 photocopy paper box and fill it with boxed rolls of 100 peel and stick stamps, the box would easily hold 120 rolls. Boxed rolls are $70 each and that equates to $8,400 in a box the size of a square basketball - not that big really. Would only weigh about 4kg :shock:

Would a PO stock those quantities? Any reasonably sized one probably would as a roll is a standard popular business purchase.

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Allanswood wrote:I have nothing to add.

Fifty Shades of Commemoratives? :D
With kind regards, Jim

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Australian Pie.

dukeprince
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dukeprince »

Could it be that a Mint Aussie Collector has finally concluded that Aussie Post has cost him Thousands of Dollars year after year to keep up his collection so has thought Hmm, maybe there is another way to recover my loss on Stamp Collecting investment expenses and still keep up my collection.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
If you take a normal A4 photocopy paper box and fill it with boxed rolls of 100 peel and stick stamps, the box would easily hold 120 rolls. Boxed rolls are $70 each and that equates to $8,400 in a box the size of a square basketball - not that big really. Would only weigh about 4kg :shock:
Greg you are on the light side I think. :mrgreen:

You'd get a lot more than 120 rolls in there I feel sure. And my PO uses rolls of 200 stamps, which I think are same size box as the 100 but just wound more tightly?

AP, if they had any brains, would get a Police Warrant onto ebay and track the buyers AND sellers of these kind of clearly stolen from POs lots.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I measured the box on my desk and an A4 paper box to work out that you can fit 30 boxes to a layer and it would be 4 rows high with a small packaging gap at the top, but yes rolls of 200 fits in a 100 box and that would mean that small box would then hold $ 16,800 in common stamps. Doesn't take much to pinch $20,000 of stamps.

I'd imagine that many viewers of the news would have thought $300,000 is a semi trailer load of them, when $20,000 fits in a backpack! :D

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

This is a helluva entertaining post, BTW.

Enjoying the vitriol! :mrgreen:

As a journalist, always fascinating to know how clueless my colleagues are about stamps!
I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool. Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Allanswood wrote:I'd imagine that many viewers of the news would have thought $300,000 is a semi trailer load of them, when $20,000 fits in a backpack! :D
Thieves have made the 'mistake' of stealing semi-trailers full of newly-minted coins before. A 40' rig filled with quarters would yield you maybe $300K; but then you have the problem of moving, storing and converting/depositing the stuff. Taking it one bag at a time to the bank claiming you own a laundry shop/video game arcade will be a slow process.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I reckon that I could fit 300k of quarters in my average box car trailer, its just that trying to move the 12 tonne weight would be a bit hard. :shock:

I'm guessing 400 rolls to a small box and each roll weighs 200gms = 150 boxes.

Head for the video game arcade!

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Have just been reading Margo's Stamps in the News monthly thread:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63399
MargoZ wrote:Follow up to the Sydney stamp theft story published in the Sydney Morning Herald this week:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-charged-over-300000-stamp-thef ... hpper.html

A man has been charged over a series of thefts at post offices across Sydney in which more than $300,000 worth of postage stamps, as well as mobile phones, sim cards
and cash, were stolen.

Detectives have released CCTV images of another man they are still hunting for following the robberies at 23 post offices between March 2013 and December last year.

Police said two thieves had their faces concealed when they broke into the post offices across Sydney, as well as at Gosford and Mittagong, and made off with the stamps.

In Sydney, the robberies occurred at post offices in Mortdale, Mosman, Crows Nest, Drummoyne, Haberfield, Annandale, Kingsgrove, Artarmon, St Peters, Alexandria,
Ermington, Panania, Wahroonga, Concord and Avalon.

During a public appeal for information last month, Acting Sergeant Kath Griffin said it was unclear what the thieves planned to do with the stamps.

"That's the $300,000 question," she said.

During a robbery at Five Dock Post Office on December 29, officers arrested a 42-year-old man. Police allege that a second man involved in that robbery was able to evade police.

The 42-year-old man was charged with aggravated break, enter and steal, and has since been held at Silverwater Correctional Complex.

On Tuesday, detectives charged the 42-year-old man with 21 further counts of aggravated break, enter and steal. He was refused bail to appear at Burwood Local Court on July 8.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

McGooley wrote:
I am willing to lay odds against the chance that LPOs - even most official P.O.s these days - wouldn't know a safe if they broke their toes on one :roll: :roll:
McGooley is not always right. We are a small country town LPO with a very large safe. All cash and stamps are locked up at night as are the cigarettes. The alarm system, which I've set off accidentally a couple of times was extremely painful even for the second or two it took me to hit the right switch.

We also have a state of the art cctv system which not only covers everywhere inside, it covers the roof, the car park and a large part the street. As well as recording locally, this is monitored by a 24hr security company.

Whenever there is a local disturbance (we are next door to the pub) we are the first place the police come to get the footage. We usually download to a dvd for them as someone has to watch it all.

If the time frame is not precise, for instance when recently some vandals hit overnight, with fourteen cameras, you could be watching over a hundred hours of footage. Not a job I'd want.

A few years back, my brother-in-law discussed security with the owner of an LPO in another local town. The other owner could not see the value of it all. Needless to say, they were broken into and lost $10,000 in cigarettes plus all the cash and stamps. When the insurance company refused to pay because they hadn't taken proper security measures, they went broke.

Our security is very visible with a large monitor near the counter facing the customers. Anyone "casing the joint" can see immediately that the place is covered. Prevention is better than cure any day.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:We are a small country town LPO with a very large safe. All cash and stamps are locked up at night as are the cigarettes.
In my traipses around Victoria, I've only found a handful of LPOs in your position. My favourite is Omeo where the original safe remains in the Post Office building... completely boarded up and totally useless :roll:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Some years ago I was looking for a safe and visited a company premises close to the CBD here in Melbourne. While there I noticed quite a number of largish size safes that had been cut open by oxy acetylene torches. I asked the owner where they had come from and he said Australia Post.

It seems a safe isn't safe these days.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

levi

Post by levi »

So one of the guys was "caught in the act" ... will be interesting to see if any of the stolen goods are/were recovered and/or if they have traced any of them being on-sold on feebay!
Levi
Coffee Addict

Philatelics (Australia)
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Philatelics (Australia) »

I spotted a couple of listings that have sold on ebay in the last couple of months.....

"Roll of 10,000 $1.00 Wildflower stamps that sold for $7,000.00.

Hi, I am selling left over office supplies..

I have 10,000 $1 Auspost stamps, they are brand new still on the roll - face value $10,000 - selling for $7,000

Need them gone asap, pick up only from Melbourne.

Any reasonable offer will be considered."

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-000-new-unused-1-Australia-Post-Postage-Stamps-/323035454579 - seller jessicnas-1

Not issued in this format, so obviously fell out of the back door at the printers, it would seem, but interesting to see the printing format.

Another listing....

"$1 Postage Stamps Brand new $5000 roll, was used for our business but has since closed which is the reason for sale. $4500 negotiable"

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Postage-Stamps-5000-ROLL-/282808669955 - - seller ddldr2185

I have reported these 2 listings to Australia Post security.
Stamp Auctions On-line www.philatelics.com.au

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Steve... I spoke to regional manager of AP security on the phone yesterday about this

She has been offering them on eBay, gumtree, facebook and direct to some dealers

AP never issue self adhesive stamps in $10,000 face value rolls to the public
They have been knocked off from the printer before being guillotined, or are fakes printed in china by the millions

She was offering them in 10k rolls.

They have her address, and the AFP are about to swoop. :mrgreen:

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

I can't believe that security at the printers is so lax that they could get that many out.

My bet is they are forgeries, possibly from China but could also be from Turkey or some other source where forgeries are known to be produced. We'll watch this one with great interest. I just hope we get to hear the result.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

jjarmstrong47 wrote:I can't believe that security at the printers is so lax that they could get that many out.
Not so sure. The millions $ of stolen Express Envelopes etc flogged on ebay for many years now, under actual LPO COST, points to there being VAST gaps in their security system.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

pertinax
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members

Post by pertinax »

Going back to the posts re the arrest in 2015......it doesn't surprise me that the thief was nabbed while burgling the Five Dock Post Office.....

.....the local Police Station is less than 1 minute walk around the corner!

What a fool.

Scott
vincit omnia pertinax virtus

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:I just hope we get to hear the result.
I can confirm a Victorian woman has been arrested and is assisting police.

They are not forgeries.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Tassie_Stamps wrote:
jjarmstrong47 wrote:I just hope we get to hear the result.
I can confirm a Victorian woman has been arrested and is assisting police.

They are not forgeries.
The proven IQ of ebay cons sinks even lower. If that was possible.

Offer stolen stamps in a format ONLY possible at the printers!

Hope the waste of space PO "Security" staff keep on tracking ebay sellers AND buyers of the millions of dodgy stamps and prepaid Express envelopes etc.

You could fill a court with both. :roll:

pertinax

Post by pertinax »

Of course at this point the question is whether the stamps have been recovered, or will be.

If not there's a philatelic goldmine out there!

Scott
vincit omnia pertinax virtus

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Police arrests or not, those cretins at Scambay have cancelled NEITHER account -

ebayer ddldr2185 and seller jessicnas-1

Glen

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

And oddly to me both ebay sellers ddldr2185 and jessicnas-1 were offering press rolls of $1 peel and stick in widths of ELEVEN stamps. Odd?

Philatelics (Australia)

Global Administrator wrote:And oddly to me both ebay sellers ddldr2185 and jessicnas-1 were offering press rolls of $1 peel and stick in widths of ELEVEN stamps. Odd?

I was interested to see the printing format being 11 stamps wide, presumably dictated by the width the self adhesive paper rolls are made in, I guess they were probably actually rolls of 11,000 stamps, not 10,000.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

pertinax wrote:

Of course at this point the question is whether the stamps have been recovered, or will be.

Scott
At least one roll of 10,000 x $1 stamps, 11 stamps wide was sold it seems - whether the Feds clobbered that one is unknown -

Philatelics (Australia)

pertinax wrote:

Scott
At least one roll of 10,000 x $1 stamps, 11 stamps wide was sold it seems - whether the Feds clobbered that one is unknown -
I'm sure the seller will make contact once bail is granted

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

These are not “MINT” stamps, you spiv.
Many spivs soak uncancelled stamps off office kiloware, and have a 10 year old kid glue those now illegal stamps onto 1000 cheap envelopes, and offer them on Ebay as “1000 x $1 stamped envelopes - ready to mail $775”. The Bunnies crawl all over such “wonder deals”.

I saw this one shown above on ebay as I was typing this. A seller called australian_antiques in Adelaide is offering a $500 bunch of re-cycled no gum stamps and calling them “MINT”. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And even more cheekily using Australia Post Bureau website images from $1 and $2 New Issues to do it. You do NOT get lovely looking mint $1 + $2 stamps as shown in his ad (HIGHLY misleading and deceptive), but 1,000 x cleanskin 50c!

Look what the wacko Bunnies are bidding on this junk already in order to break the law - https://tinyurl.com/Face500 - report him now please folks. The cretins have this bid up to over HALF face with a day to go. What kind of IQs do these dopes have???

The same Bunnies do not realise The Crimes Act of Australia offence of re-using stamps, or using cleaned off cancel stamps, falls entirely upon the END USER of the illegal material, NOT the supplier. :idea:

Drop your 1,000 envelopes into a red mail box, and you will very likely have the Federal Police at your door with a Search Warrant, days later. Guaranteed.

I kid you not - Mail Centre sorting machines are pretty clever now, and prison terms have been meted out in extreme cases. Dodgy Brothers venues like ebay and Gumtree are also of course where the folks who STEAL material from Australia Post, dump it onto the clueless. Hoping no-one notices. Folks DO notice of course. 8)

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote: The same Bunnies do not realise The Crimes Act of Australia offence of re-using stamps, or using cleaned off cancel stamps, falls entirely upon the END USER of the illegal material, NOT the supplier. :idea:
On reading the CAoA legislation, specifically section 85, its primarily involved with forged and replica stamps.

However, the section does note that stamps are valuable property, and subject to larceny laws....

Meaning you would probably be charged under section 134.2 of the Criminal Code Act 1995.
Criminal Code Act 1995 wrote:134.2 Obtaining a financial advantage by deception

(1) A person commits an offence if:
(a) the person, by a deception, dishonestly obtains a financial advantage from another person; and

(b) the other person is a Commonwealth entity.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 10 years.
(Yes, I know I'm British, but the laws are remarkably similar).

"If you place an item in the post, and use a label that you know (or reasonably believe) is not valid, you have fallen foul of this".

In Britain, the Post Office might overlook a single offence as an oversight, and charge the recipient for invalid prepayment.
But if you made a habit of it, Revenue Protection would track you down.

The main point being "Don't throw your life away for 25% of the cost of a stamp".

But when have Bunnies ever been that sensible??

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”