How to sort the 6 Australian Commonwealth Stamp Watermarks

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

Solving the Australian Commonwealth Watermark Maze.

What a confusing nightmare.

Why do catalogues world wide use different numbers to mean the same watermarks? Why do they continue to show images of badly drawn or misleading watermarks?

Two questions that will probably never be answered!

However to find your way through the maze and identify the 6 watermarks used in the Australian Commonwealth period lets identify the easiest ways to know which is which particularly in regard to the 3 single watermark issues – the most commonly confused watermarks.

Here are some of the common images given for these watermarks from the major catalogues:

How do the catalogues identify them?

S Wmk BW is #1 – that equals SG 2 or Scott 8
S Wmk BW is #2 – SG 5 or Scott 9
S Wmk BW is #3 – SG 6 or Scott 10
LMW BW is #4 – SG 6a or Scott 11
SMW BW is #5 – SG 7 or Scott 203
CofA BW is #6 – SG 15 or Scott 228

Yes, I know, go figure!

What do they really look like?
Image[/url]

Is there an easy way to pick them? Yes.

Type 1 is Flat topped (Red), Fat and Horizontal mesh paper
Type 2 is Curved (Green), not Spiked and Vertical mesh
Type 3 is Curved, Skinny, Spiked (Blue) and Vertical mesh

So to sum up; flat top is 1, curved is 2 and curved with spike is 3.

Just remember F1-C2-CS3

There are other tips as well. Some stamps only used the one watermark, some had a particular shade printed with just that watermark. But I was just annoyed that I keep seeing pictures with no words to guide you to understand what you were looking at.

I also learnt that using Isopropyl Alcohol as a watermark fluid works quite well, (longer dry time to take a photo), unless you use it with Analine inks (1d Roos) as they make the ink run and bleed!
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Solving the Australian Commonwealth Watermark Maze.

Post by thecloudwatcher »

Great to have clear, real-life examples of these watermarks, thank you for posting.

The way the SG catalogue numbers watermarks is daft. I understand how they come about (the watermark illustrations are treated as images, e.g. Australia BW1 is the second illustration in the SG catalogue therefore it is SG W2, BW2 is the fifth illustration in the SG catalogue therefore it is SG W5) but the why is totally beyond me.

Much better to group all the watermark illustrations at the beginning of the country and number them consecutively as Brusden White does.
rehautala
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by rehautala »

Thank you for this. Very helpful indeed.
PeeVee
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by PeeVee »

Thank you Greg,

This is the simplest explanation I have ever seen.

It will speed up my identification process immensely and save my eyesight.

Cheers

Peter
Collecting 100 years of Australian Commonwealth Stamps
Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

What a useful post! This might finally motivate me to go through my KGV heads and find out which ones I have and which ones I'm missing. :!:

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
Barney99
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Barney99 »

Greg

Thanks for your post. I have always had trouble distinguishing between 1st and 2nd watermark kangaroos on the basis of the watermark only (and using dark backgrounds or light to assist). It can be particularly difficult when a dark postmark covers the top of the crown. Your notes will help me I'm sure!

Cheers

Martin
fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Allanswood wrote:There are other tips as well. Some stamps only used the one watermark, some had a particular shade printed with just that watermark. But I was just annoyed that I keep seeing pictures with no words to guide you to understand what you were looking at.

Nice post Greg. I know that this has been done before, but never as clearly is in your OP. I have always found that the most confusion is between Kangaroo 1st and 2nd Wmks, and sometimes the 3rd, although once you have a bit of practice, 3rd is pretty easy. (Using the Australian version).

It's also worth mentioning that the 1st and 3rd Wmks do not exist on the Geo V stamps, and the others are pretty easy to identify.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

No wonder collectors have difficulty differentiating the types of watermarks. Good stuff.

Stating that a paper has horizontal/vertical mesh doesn't adequately describe the presence of a watermark. How the paper curls, especially if it is mint, is more definitive. Perhaps enlarging the first three types would emphasize that the striations are the mesh and sometimes are plainly visible in the First watermarked paper.

What's the significance of the lines & other characters or partial letters one sees in the margins/selvedge or edges of the stamps? Are they not related to the watermark?
Time to quit. Was told what I should collect.
mobbor

Post by mobbor »

A terrific explanation.

The problem really only applies to roos, not KGV's as fromdownunder explained, so Brit-Col, just get too it.

Kainnikanada's comment about other aspects of the single watermark- marginal watermark lines & marginal letters- is very important too, for plateing purposes.
mobbor
austcollect
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Solving the Australian Commonwealth Stamp Watermark Maze

Post by austcollect »

Good work Greg. It has probably been said before, but practice with many examples of Roos and KGV Heads is the best way to learn. I find the mesh of the paper very handy to help identify 1st vs 2nd and 3rd watermarks.

All the catalogue watermark illustrations have errors, except for Scott which uses actual photos in watermark fluid. This is the best way to show the real watermarks accurately as in your photos. All the catalogues should do this, or use this as a basis for accurate drawings.

BW has errors in the watermark drawings e.g. 1st wmk - bottom of crown is actually flat not curved, 3rd wmk - top corners of crown are actually triangles not 'rectangles'. I believe BW has the best / most logical numbering system for the watermarks, which is in alignment with long standing convention of naming: First Watermark (1st), Second Watermark (2nd), Third Watermark (3rd), Large Multiple Watermark (LMW), Small Multiple Watermark (SMW), C of A Watermark (CofA).
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I was able to purchase a sample of the 2nd watermark paper the other day. Gummed and vertical mesh as issued.

One thing that finally clicked in my head is that the watermark is impressed onto the front (surface) of the paper and not from behind.

So here's a thought - There is the chance that some printings have been made on the wrong side of the paper, however as the watermark is near symmetrical at a glance you could not tell that is was printed on the back of a sheet.

Without any ink, the impression is a clear as day though.

But a good photo image with the right software might just show which way the watermark has been embedded. And a whole new category of KGV would open up - reversed watermark printing. :shock:

I waiting for a new macro lens (x4 and x10) to arrive that will get me closer in to the surface. And need to read the instructions to get a better depth of field.

The mesh gives the paper that "hessian" (burlap) look.

I'm also redrawing the designs. I like the clean look of the ACSC ones but they need correcting. :D
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

I have a couple sample 2nd (Georgian) watermark blocks (of 4 and 30) with letters & three sample 3rd watermark (2 blocks of 4 and a pair) I cold post here.

Have you considered creating a wiki? More flexibility.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Greg .. a long overdue project. :)

SG and Scott have been using the same tired old pix for 50 years.

I know the 3 Editors Hugh Jefferies and Chad Snee and Geoff Kellow well, and can pass these pix on when we are all happy with them, and I'd bet all 3 will use them adding some much needed standardisation to the watermarks.

They are tough to sort for novices as it is, and the hopeless pix that some of them use make it that much harder!

Your first 4 watermarks capture it quite well (except for 1st) and the horiz and vertical mesh notes are a great idea.

If I had a dollar for every collector who has mis-sorted 3d, 6d and 9d and 1/- and 2/- and 5/- FIRST in his collection when they are all the far lesser value THIRDS, I'd be a billionaire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a quick mesh test or curl in palm of hand test would have sorted them readily.

Scott have the First Wmk photo closest .. the central horizontal line is dead straight and the other 2 almost so, and yours are all curved. The crown is also a tad wider and more squat, and the legs are further apart than others as you have nearly captured.
Image ... Image
The SM and CofA images also need some serious jiggling. :mrgreen:

Image ... Image
The small crown has a nipped in "waist" really, so the SG pic is best of the bunch, however they have their "A" a little too large, making it look like the A is near attached to the Crown, which it is not.

Your single wmk Type 2 needs to have the middle lines in crown touching the design's vertical downward bars, as your Large Multi crown now has.

And the second down horizontal line is more just an arc than a sharp right angle as top horizontal line is. i.e. they do not replicate each other as on all these pix.

This image is spot on -
On that same note your Single Wmk art in the Large Multi has both vertical lines in crown diverging, but they are parallel in actuality, same as the Single Wmk.
Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I was at first just trying to show that the 3 singles can easily be picked. I'm happy to redraw all 6 as there are noticeable differences, but wasn't too worried as the other 3 are self evident. :D

My original image is about the size of an A2 sheet of paper.

This is not a final, just a quick draft, but clearly shows that the 3 singles in real life are very different to each other:

I just found it weird that one of the images early on, shows about 8 single watermarks for the only 3 that exist. :shock:
organicm

Post by organicm »

Thanks for this thread Greg. Helps a lot with the first 3.
I was wondering about the other watermarks on the Seven Seas table too.
I had assumed they must be for legal or, consular or fiscal stamps or something like that? Mark
--------------------------------------------------------
Collect Germany & British Empire (KG6 mainly)
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I think it's putting the earlier state stamps with crown over A into the mix.
Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Which Australian watermarks are these please?

Post by Machaggis52 »

Hello all.

Dipping my toes into the complex world of Australia Kangaroo & Map stamps, which come with an assortment of watermarks. A couple of the watermarks are easy, C of A, and small multi. The other three, First, second and third, I'm not finding quite so easy.

The following four watermarks are from 2½d blue stamps.

Could some kind person please identify the watermarks for me?

With kind regards, Jim
Kainnikanada

Re: Which Australian watermarks are these please?

Post by Kainnikanada »

Jim,

There is a thread describing Australian watermarks.

These are all "narrow crown/A" which makes them Third watermark. Recall the curl test I told you about? ...and that Glen also espouses. That would easily eliminate the First watermark as an answer.

The shoulders of these crowns are basically narrower whereas on the Second (Georgian) they protrude further and obviously are slightly wider.

Why didn't you post this question on the Roo thread?
Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Kainnikanada wrote:
Jim,

There is a thread describing Australian watermarks.

These are all "narrow crown/A" which makes them Third watermark. Recall the curl test I told you about? ...and that Glen also espouses. That would easily eliminate the First watermark as an answer.

The shoulders of these crowns are basically flat whereas on the Second (Georgian) they protrude vertically and obviously are slightly wider as well.

Why didn't you post this question on the Roo thread?
I thought it was a bit basic for the Roo thread.

Thanks for the info though. There are quite distinct differences on the ones posted, but are all the same watermark. Bugger!
With kind regards, Jim
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Jim,

Here's a comparison of First and Second watermarks. Also note how the Second migrates across the strip since it was designed for the wider George V stamps.
The Second watermark is not even similar to your Third examples.
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Machaggis52 wrote:There are quite distinct differences on the ones posted, but are all the same watermark. Bugger!
I see no differences.

Have you heard or seen the app called 'Stampcompare'?

It's designed to compare two images and is free as a download. I'll grab a couple of these 2½d scans, place them in Stampcompare, then show you the results. It could be useful when making decisions on the type of watermark you have although nothing beats experience.
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

With my scanner I can scan all types of film. How about I scan a strip of 6 roos with each watermark. You can then grab them for reference purposes.
Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Kainnikanada wrote:
Machaggis52 wrote:There are quite distinct differences on the ones posted, but are all the same watermark. Bugger!
I see no differences.

Have you heard or seen the app called 'Stampcompare'?

It's designed to compare two images and is free as a download. I'll grab a couple of these 2½d scans, place them in Stampcompare, then show you the results. It could be useful when making decisions on the type of watermark you have although nothing beats experience.
Of course you see no difference. :D You are an expert, I'm a very very green rookie.

I have found an inverted watermark on a 1d red though. I like the penny reds, only one possible watermark. :D
With kind regards, Jim
Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Kainnikanada wrote:With my scanner I can scan all types of film. How about I scan a strip of 6 roos with each watermark. You can then grab them for reference purposes.

Please. I'm not finding it easy. I have the 2013 ACSC as well. :oops:
With kind regards, Jim
Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Kainnikanada wrote:Jim,

Here's a comparison of First and Second watermarks. Also note how the Second migrates across the strip since it was designed for the wider George V stamps.
The Second watermark is not even similar to your Third examples.
Thanks for that. It shows the 2nd watermark very well. Differentiating 1st and 3rd is my problem.
With kind regards, Jim
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Machaggis52 wrote:
Thanks for that. It shows the 2nd watermark very well. Differentiating 1st and 3rd is my problem.
Jim,

If you own the stamp then you can see First watermarked stamps curl top to bottom and Third side to side if breathed upon. Also the tiny horizontal dashes that represent the mesh are horizontal on the First and vertical on the Third.

I'll post comparisons once I trim and upload those strips of 6. The broad 'A' of the First is quite noticeable relative to the width of the stamp.
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Here are the three types: First, Second & Third - in that order.

Remember this. These watermark bits (each 'crown/A') were individually manufactured from wire so each one is not a clone only similar to the any adjacent one within the pane/sheet of paper.

I'll also post unoverprinted individual scans of 1/- roo stamps from each watermark - you can then compare larger scans.
PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

Jim,

Earlier in this thread, mention was made of other threads where Australian watermarks are explained in detail.

There are several, but by far the most helpful for me is:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66681&hilit=Watermark+identify

Look for the illustration of the three single-crown-and-A watermarks with key differences highlighted using the colours red, green and blue.

Philip
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

PhilipAdams wrote:Jim,

Earlier in this thread, mention was made of other threads where Australian watermarks are explained in detail.

There are several, but by far the most helpful for me is:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66681&hilit=Watermark+identify

Look for the illustration of the three single-crown-and-A watermarks with key differences highlighted using the colours red, green and blue.

Philip
Philip,

Posting black & white illustrations of "perfectly outlined" watermarks doesn't contribute much when one has to look at partials or imperfect examples on actual stamps. Mesh/perforation tips and holes all add to the experience. Mesh helps to immediately eliminate either one or two types. CofA & SMW can be tricky but he seems to have mastered that one.

The five examples Jim posted all have vertical mesh which is only seen on the Second & Third (single watermark) and...Jim already knew they weren't Second so what did that leave? Not rocket science.
Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Here are 3 singles in order of First, Second & Third:
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: How to sort the 6 Australian Commonwealth Stamp Watermar

Post by GlenStephens »

The Australia first 3 Kangaroo watermarks are known locally as First, Second and Third.

They are all a single crown over A, and to the collector not used to handling them, are often hard to pick apart.

As Allanswood visually points out above, the catalogue makers all have wildly varying diagrams on them to make things harder!

Over 40 years as a dealer I have handled and sold literally over a MILLION Kangaroo stamps, and can sort near every Roo facially when on an album page or Hagner. However that is down to lots of practice and it can’t be taught by books!

The Three watermarks often have stamps of all the same colour in each, to make it even harder.

A 2/- Brown varies vastly in price between the 3 watermarks, so sorting them accurately is important. A Second Watermark 2/- sells for FIVE times that of a Third Watermark. Same as a 9d Violet or a 5/- … many times the price, or $100s of dollars in the case of the 5/-.

1000s of stamps I see offered on ebay etc are just plain and appallingly wrong, as of course the amateur sellers simply self-decide they have the SCARCEST watermark every time! And as many of the buyers are just as clueless, a perfect storm. Blind leading the Blind. Can’t beat those ebay “Bargains”. (Until it comes time to sell them one day to a real dealer of course!)

A experienced eye can sort them all by colour and/or more often, perf characteristics in most cases, without even seeing the watermark, but for those who need to sort by watermarks, here is a tip.

For detecting harder to see watermarks all those silly $100s of wacko watermark machines are a total waste of money in my view. If I ever need to look up anything, I use a $5 black watermark tray, and a bottle of watermark fluid – use Zippo lighter fluid if you must. The plus with that is, you also see repairs and thins or pressed creases etc at the same time!

For fast ID hold the stamp to a BRIGHT light. Those little 1000 Lumen LED torchlights you can buy cheap anywhere are superb for this. Backlight shines through the thickest stamp papers and FANTASTIC for watermarks and I use that all the time.

That sorts out 99% of them. :D

The SECOND watermark Kangaroos really should never be an issue for anyone. The SHARP wide corners of the crown are totally distinctive. As that was a short WWI emergency use of KGV heads paper, it means the SECOND watermark almost never sits “well centred” on each Kangaroo stamp .. often half a watermark is on each side of the stamp, hence an instant clue.

That leaves the First and THIRD watermarks to sort quickly. A 2/- First is 5 times the price of a 2/- Third, so getting it right is really important.

Those 2 watermarks look REALLY similar to all novices for some reason, and are the ones most collectors get wrong.

To sort a FIRST and THIRD watermark is the world’s simplest task.

One is on VERTICAL mash paper always, and the First Watermark alone is on HORIZONTAL mesh paper – always.

They hence are SO easy to sort apart, I fail to understand how folks mess it up to regularly. You can SEE the paper mesh direction easily with the naked eye, and often from scans.

And the fastest, most certain test, is PAPER CURL.

Place any Kangaroo stamp, mint or used, back of stamp upwards, in the upright palm of your hand. Within seconds, your body heat makes all FIRST watermark stamps curl noticeably from top to bottom, and SECOND and THIRD watermarks curl side to side. It is THAT fast, and that simple!

The same test works to sort out many other papers such as the notoriously tricky New Zealand "Arms" stamps etc where paper grain direction is far less easily seen visually.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
This is not a final, just a quick draft, but clearly shows that the 3 singles in real life are very different to each other:
Greg .. great work .... happy to pass these onto the SG, Scott and ACSC Editors.

Did you ever do a clear line diagram of the Small Multi and CofA watermarks as well?

Kainnikanada today kindly swapped over all images above today into IMGUR, so they are not lost in the photobucket Ransom extortion this month. :idea:

Glen
laurie02

Post by laurie02 »

This is perfect for me, thanks for the clear concise explanation and diagrams Greg!
Cheers
Collecting Egypt, Classic U.S.A.
And themes are Lighthouses, Zeppelins and Submarines
Al3
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Summary of Australian watermarks

Post by Al3 »

I started looking at some Tasmania stamps and now see there are new watermarks I have never seen as I mostly deal with the Crown CA. etc. I use Scott's and wonder if someone has created a one page image of the possible watermarks and their number. Even an SG reference would be fine.

Al
Al
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Summary of Australian watermarks

Al3 wrote:I use Scott's
Al no-one sane uses Scott for Australia, or especially for Australia States.

Buy an SG "AUSTRALIA" I'd suggest. Small cost and you will be on the same page with the rest of the planet then. :idea:
makielb
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Re: Summary of Australian watermarks

Post by makielb »

Global Administrator wrote:
Al3 wrote:I use Scott's
Al no-one sane uses Scott for Australia, or especially for Australia States.

Buy an SG "AUSTRALIA" I'd suggest. Small cost and you will be on the same page with the rest of the planet then. :idea:
An excellent suggestion. I always carefully peruse Australian collections at US stamp shows and auctions knowing that they are marked and mounted per Scott. I have built a nice little collection of pre-decimal Australia buying, taking what I need and often selling the remainders for more than I paid for a given collection. So, essentially I have been building an Australia and States collection for free. :D

I know it sounds too good to be true, but it's reality. Take the time to invest in (at the least) the SG Commonwealth catalogue, which will help in other areas as well. The money spent will quickly be recouped.

So, follow Glen's advice and learn to identify the Australian stamps using SG and become fluent with both both systems, which BTW is a total pain in the rump. :lol:
Mike
Why do we need perforations? Scissors are cheap!
Al3

Post by Al3 »

I do have a SG 1840-1970 catalogue but like Scott they scatter the watermark images throughout the book. In the front matter and sometimes in countries, they will both include images of watermarks with the number so was looking for a simple printout of the images and the associated watermark number.

For example, I had a catalogue for Singapore, Malaya, etc. and in the front matter they had a page of all watermarks in the catalog and the code number. They use SG watermark numbers.

For example, if the catalogue says W70, I could peek at the cheat sheet rather than thumb through trying to find the watermark is shown.

Al
Al
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Al3 wrote:
For example, if the catalogue says W70, I could peek at the cheat sheet rather than thumb through trying to find the watermark is shown.

Al
Well what we have now, has worked fine for millions of collectors, for way over 100 years.

But here is a cool idea JUST for you.

Photocopy all those pesky pages that take so much of your valuable time looking up. Then take a pair of scissors, (remember those?) and cut out all the pictures you need and glue (remember that?) them all onto your own personal "cheat sheet".

How's that for a low tech solution to a non existing problem?

Then that pesky ''W70'' will be there at your fingertips forever. :idea:

The rest of the stamp collecting world will continue to use the logical system the Editors have in place.
Al3

Post by Al3 »

Thanks. I found what I needed here. It was in another post.
Al
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi Greg

I had to sort a small lot of Roos and George V Heads, a job I dreaded on the basis of past experience. I remembered this post, made a copy of your schematics and found my job really simple and easy.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge in a simple very easy to understand manner and with clear schematics.

I will never again fear having to sort these on the basis of watermarks.

Now for the shades! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history.
See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

Very helpful. Many thanks!!
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com
Brit-Col

Help please with this Australian watermark

Post by Brit-Col »

Surely this must rank as one of the most basic and silliest questions asked on this forum.

I have drowned this stamp in watermark fluid but can't decide if it is the "Wide Crown and Wide A" or "Wide Crown and Narrow A" or for that matter the "Narrow Crown and Narrow A" (although I think it is one of the former two). The A definitely looks wide but the crown doesn't look quite right to me.

Many people here will be able to tell at a glance.

The stamp is a 1/- roo by the way.

Thanks in advance and mock me if you must - I deserve it!

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Help please with this Australian watermark

1913 First Watermark -- the horizontal paper mesh tells us that at a glance!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Global Administrator wrote:
Allanswood wrote:
Greg .. great work .... happy to pass these onto the SG, Scott and ACSC Editors.

Did you ever do a clear line diagram of the Small Multi and CofA watermarks as well?

Glen
Greg .. did you ever finalise the 6 images? :mrgreen:
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

No, at the moment just another project on my desk unfinished. :(
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I had a spare couple of hours and think it's about done...

The 6 Australian Commonwealth Watermarks Redrawn

If you look at an ACSC you'll notice some major changes and some subtle ones.

What needs to be taken into account is that as the individual watermark 'cliches' were hand made and then welded onto the dandy roller, there can be small differences in the shaping.

Also I would have thought that in many areas, bits and pieces could detach through the strain of just being used to impress the watermark into the wet paper pulp. (Think of the reversed 'C' (which really does seem to be a very 'cheeky' repair!) and I've seen a missing 'F')). I would imagine the paper maker would have kept a keen eye on the wear and tear of the dandy, so much so that we don't find many 'errors' in all these billions of stamps!

I have also made the small multi and the CofA more true to life and spacing. And corrected a few errors that I hadn't noticed before. Also a visual guide to the way the paper will curl and the direction of the mesh impression.

Hope it helps. :D

PS - Took me 3 YEARS! My how time flies... :oops:
rehautala

Post by rehautala »

Excellent work. :D
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Great work Greg. :)

My only little comment is the cross Bars of A on S/Multi and CofA are lower in real life, than the diagrams .. both of which also have the Crown and A "over heavy" in weight or boldness, if that makes sense? And legs of "A" in S/M are a little longer in reality than shown - virtually to base of crown.

Same little adjustment with 1st Wmk if doable - the crossbar of A on that, is actually lower than on other 2.

However yours are more accurate than in ANY catalogue published!

Glen
Mimetictheory

Post by Mimetictheory »

Great job Allanswood!
satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

Allanswood wrote:

PS - Took me 3 YEARS! My how time flies... :oops:

So, when can we expect to see the postage due watermarks? In 2022? :lol:
Joking aside, thanks for the effort that went into this, Allanswood.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”