New GB valid for prime use for only 5 days - get yours now!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

New GB valid for prime use for only 5 days - get yours now!

Post by norvic »

This offer is now closed, and only those who have already contact me can be included
The juxtaposition of a new stamp issue and raised postage rates prompts me to alert readers to a short-lived valid usage of some new stamps.

In 2 week's time on 20th, and just before postage rates increase on 26th March, Royal Mail is marking the Centenary of the Royal Air Force with a bumper issue consisting of a set of 6, a miniature sheet, a prestige stamp book, and two retail booklets.

The stamps will be issued on the same day as the new tariff stamps, which brings into question the point of the airmail rate stamps in this set. In earlier years, the special stamps issued just before the tariff change were usually a selection of 1st class, but in 2016 the British Humanitarians set consisted of 1st class and £1.33 stamps, which worked because the £1.33 Worldwide 20g rate remained unchanged. And in 2017 the David Bowie set included 1st class and £1.52 stamps - the European 100g rate rising to £1.57 just two weeks later, requiring a 5p stamp to be added to the Bowie stamps. That, at the time, was probably a record in modern GB.

Now we have RAF £1.40 and £1.57 stamps issued on the same day as their replacement Machin definitives! And although, as last year, a 5p stamp can be used to make up the £1.40 to the new £1.45 rate, the £1.57 European 100g rate drops to £1.55, meaning that the £1.57 RAF stamps cannot be easily used. Madness, or just further proof that the special stamps are not designed primarily for postage?

The £1.40 rate is for letters up to 20g worldwide outside Europe.
The £1.57 rate is for letters up to 100g to Europe.

If anybody is interested in these used to their correct destinations, and to share with others, let's see what we can do. I can't send everything for free, and it may be that collectors in Europe want a £1.40 rate for outside Europe and collectors in the rest of the world want a £1.57 sent to Europe.

Oh, and I would like at least one of each for my own collection :-)

==============
Oops, forgot the miniature sheet showing the Red Arrows display team - 2 x 1st class and 2 x £1.40.
Obviously use of these £1.40 on airmail letters would be philatelic rather than commercial, but they would serve to illustrate a collection or exhibit.

[I included this in the discussion on whether modern GB high values can be found used. It may be overlooked there. It's also not appropriate for the 'Giveaways' thread as I am not giving away everything, and it is not appropriate for the exchange thread as some exchanges could happen between members after they have the covers. It's also not appropriate for the 'For Sale' area as there is no way to predict what members might want to buy!]
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post or use board email. What I post is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff'. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

JonEboy

Re: New GB valid for prime use for only 5 days - get yours n

Post by JonEboy »

norvic wrote: Madness, or just further proof that the special stamps are not designed primarily for postage?
If pushed, I'd vote for the latter :roll:
norvic wrote:
If anybody is interested in these used to their correct destinations, and to share with others, let's see what we can do. I can't send everything for free, and it may be that collectors in Europe want a £1.40 rate for outside Europe and collectors in the rest of the world want a £1.57 sent to Europe.
Given that this is just a six day window I'd be happy to give it a go. I'll have to get them pre ordered but if there's a couple to send I'm happy to give it a go.

The big question though, is, what will it take to create something that won't be seen as philatelic?

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

HayeSmyth
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by HayeSmyth »

I'd be interested in participating. Thank you.

norvic

Post by norvic »

JonEboy and HayeSmyth

I can get the stamps early - indeed I already have some. I have had one request to send some to Canada, and I'll send some there to be returned for my own collection.

What we really need is somebody who will take the £1.57 in Europe and return them. The way I look at it, if the other party wants some for his own collection then I will send two of each with one of each to be returned to me, all f.o.c. But me to get any others for other UK members will require us to discuss paying for them, and who in Europe (and Canada/Australia/USA maybe) will receive them.

Write me off-board, and we'll see what can be done.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post or use board email. What I post is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff'. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

cursus
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by cursus »

If you want to send the Europe (1.57) ones to me in Barcelona (Catalonia, Europe), I'll be glad to return them to you. I would also, to be able to keep one of each for me, as I do collect used UK and they're very hard to come. Off course I'll pay you for them (I've got Paypal)!
Please, send an e-mail to me, and I'll let you know my postal address.
I collect: Estonia 1990-1992 Postal History. Barcelona Postal History and postmarks. Catalan cinderellas. Botanical gardens. Ice creams on stamps. Used UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Scandinavia.

aerogi
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by aerogi »

what a beautiful set! Especially the Vulcan and Nimrod stamps.

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

5 days prime use?

I wonder if these will do as well in 100 years as the 1918 Sweden King Gustav definitives 55 & 80ore issued in 1918 from one PO before being superceded after 6 days as queried by aerogi ?

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80986

Now catalogued £12,000 on genuine in period cover according to Facit catalogue!
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by john6625 »

I am interested in participating Norvic.

If some of the £1.40 rate covers are sent to me I can then swap with other willing participants for the other rate and also send back one of each covers to you.

I presume we are talking solo covers. Just let me know if you wish to proceed and I will paypal any costs.

This could be interesting.
Join in the fun at the January 2021 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93602 ..... OR ....
The January 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93603

agondocz
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by agondocz »

Hi Norvic,

If you can use someone else in Canada, I am willing to take part in this.

Please let me know the details and I will send payment by PayPal.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Hello , I can participate in case you want it posted to India, I'll post them back to you, and would be interested in receiving the 2 covers for myself as well.
Thank you!
Collecting Mint China, Malaysia and mint Mini sheets! http://philatelyex.blogspot.in/

norvic

Post by norvic »

Just catching up... I have had a number of emails as well.

Provided I have all the names and addresses and a clear statement of what you would like yourselves and what you are prepared to do for others, all will be well. Remember there are 2 Europe stamps and 4 rest of World, as well as 4 inland.

Please email me with those details. Payment details can follow; I buy these on a credit account anyway.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Quote:
"... the £1.57 European 100g rate drops to £1.55, meaning that the £1.57 RAF stamps cannot be easily used."

I think a few brave souls would be willing to take the 2p hit.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Of course, but the point is, the correct period of use for those 2 stamps lasts only 5 days - after that the rate is lower and using them would be overpaying.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Norvic,

I am interested in the full set on covers.

The four rest of the World stamps covers could be sent directly to me in Israel.
As for the 4 UK and 2 Europe stamps, I hope this can be arranged with you and other members and I would be glad to send back some covers with rest of the World if extras are mailed to me.

I'll e-mail you for details.

Cheers,

Carmel

norvic

Post by norvic »

Thank you to all those who have written. I may have to order some more stamps to achieve evrything, but I'm sure it will all work out.

I'll get back to you individually, but for the time being business continues and I need to deal with existing orders from customers.

Although the stamps are issued on 20th, we have until 24th, so there is more time than it appears.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I don't write many letters over the 20g mark, just one last month went to France. However, if I do go over the 20g for letters outside Europe, would £1.57 + 1st + 1p then equal £2.25 when the postal rates change?
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Yes.

norvic

Post by norvic »

I cannot accommodated any more requests for participation.

It's taking me a while to work out who wants and who will get and return what! Bear with me, I have the rest of the week to work on this!

norvic

Post by norvic »

The following are participating in this exercise

JonEboy - UK
HayeSmith - UK & Israel
John6625 - Australia
agondocz - Canada
AndyP - India
Carmel - Israel
cursus - Spain
AMark - Canada & Germany
maszki - Poland

Just who will get what and how many, I haven't quite worked out. Two of the above are making a separate arrangement for exchange and that is fine.

If I end up getting more than you intended, the excess will be for return to me.

I am planning to use a UK business address (not mine) for the 1st class, and may use some private addresses as well.

I'm planning to use c6 white envelopes with gummed flaps rather than self-adhesive, as SA has long-term effects!

Payment is not an issue at present; we shall wait until everything is settled. (I buy on credit from Royal Mail so cash-flow is not an issue!)

maszki

Post by maszki »

You are a scholar and a gentleman

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks for all the planning and efforts.

Would it be possible to include a mint set of this issue + the MS for me?

Cheers,

Carmel

norvic

Post by norvic »

UPDATE

I have now sent board emails to all participants, except AMark who had contacted me outside the system.

Already Maszki has replied and pointed out an error in my email! But that is now corrected, and I hope all the others are OK.

The PO will be busy this afternoon with international postings. Early next week I shall do the inland, as they are not time critical: the 1st class can be used any time.

If anybody has any questions please reply by board or private email, and not here.

norvic

Post by norvic »

As the question has been asked, I am using white c6 gummed envelopes, especially bought for the purpose as they are better than self-adhesive.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Posted yesterday, and all received a counter date stamp, on which the date will be more or less visible, as it had to tie the stamp to the envelope. It would be unsurprising if they also got the ink-jet machine postmark.

It will be interesting to see who gets their covers first. I reckon

Australia
Poland
Germany
Canada
Spain
Israel
India

UK covers will be posted Monday or Tuesday.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Not part of this scheme, but examples of each of the £1.57 stamps. Inland one on a signed for letter, making up the £1.75 rate (now £1.77), and one to France paying last week's £1.57 rate (now £1.55)

Note that although machineable in neither case is there a machine ink-jet, so getting the CDS was important.

norvic

Post by norvic »

FairyFoot wrote:I don't write many letters over the 20g mark, just one last month went to France. However, if I do go over the 20g for letters outside Europe, would £1.57 + 1st + 1p then equal £2.25 when the postal rates change?
And for postcards you can now use 1 each 1st (67p) & 2nd (58p) to make the £1.25 worldwide postcard rate. :D

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Ian, they have already arrived in Germany! Very quick indeed. They are ready to go back to you tomorrow :D

Would you like me to use Registered Post for the return? Or perhaps that is more hassle your end.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

norvic

Post by norvic »

It's no hassle my end to get registered in the PO Box; I have to sign 3 days out of 6 anyway, with stuff coming from Royal Mail Philatelic. If it is not too expensive*, then it might be a good idea. (Here the premium is about £5, so 3x the postage cost, and more of a problem.)

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

norvic wrote:It's no hassle my end to get registered in the PO Box; I have to sign 3 days out of 6 anyway, with stuff coming from Royal Mail Philatelic. If it is not too expensive*, then it might be a good idea. (Here the premium is about £5, so 3x the postage cost, and more of a problem.)
Only 2:50 Euros here so about 2 quid I suppose. I just posted it registered to you and hope its with you soon :D
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

cursus

Post by cursus »

Three of the covers arrived yesterday. Still, one missing.
I collect: Estonia 1990-1992 Postal History. Barcelona Postal History and postmarks. Catalan cinderellas. Botanical gardens. Ice creams on stamps. Used UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Scandinavia.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Letters to UK destinations were posted this afternoon so should arrive tomorrow or soon after.

Everybody has been notified as to how many to keep and how many to return.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Eight covers have arrived with two covers each of the four different GBP 1.4 stamps.

Cheers,

Carmel

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Hi norvic,

Nine covers arrived here today :mrgreen:

jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps

norvic

Post by norvic »

So you're one short so far.

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Update: the 10th arrived on 29th but I'm currently away so I'll send them back on my return :D

Jon

HayeSmyth
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by HayeSmyth »

Ian,
Mine arrived in two batches but one is missing; one ear marked for me. I'll wait for LB1's return post (he's received his) and send them together.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Received some from Germany today, now added to the local ones. Dates aren't all visible, unfortunately but some have ink-jet as well as cds. This was the outer, another example of Royal Mail 'care'

cursus

Post by cursus »

Today, I got the 4th covers. I'll mail the "LB's" tomorrow.

AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Received 2 of the covers till now.
Collecting Mint China, Malaysia and mint Mini sheets! http://philatelyex.blogspot.in/

norvic

Post by norvic »

Covers sent to maszki have now arrived back here to join the others. All have handstamps and ink-jet postmark, but that is to be expected.

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

All covers safely dispatched back to norvic - I asked the postmaster to make up the rate any way he liked so you have two second class Women's Rights stamps and a machin as the make up value.

Genuine in period postal usage, and it's counter cancelled as well :D

Jon

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Still no covers down here as yet. It's a long way I suppose. :roll:
Join in the fun at the January 2021 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93602 ..... OR ....
The January 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93603

norvic

Post by norvic »

john6625 wrote:Still no covers down here as yet. It's a long way I suppose. :roll:
Surprised. Should be there soon.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Two selections of £1.40 covers in from AMark and Carmel today. No time to scan the outers, but the one form Israel had no postmark, but no pen either (hooray), and a selection of the new Canadian landscapes from Canada. Many thanks, hopefully the ones to Australia will not only have arrived but made their way back to England by the time my holiday is over.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Recent email from customer in Millers Point NSW:
And Australia Post is now dreadful - it routinely takes 30 days for a letter from UK. Brilliant system for birthday cards which arrive 2 weeks late!!

john6625

Post by john6625 »

All covers have arrived and the ones to be sent back are in the mail tomorrow.

Cheers

AndyP

Post by AndyP »

3 more covers received

norvic

Post by norvic »

john6625 wrote:All covers have arrived and the ones to be sent back are in the mail tomorrow.

Cheers
Received here in my absence in Malta, many thanks.

I haven't checked to see what else is still to come, I know there has been nothing from India.

Now I'm leaving Stampboards again for a few days while I sort things out here!

AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Hey Ian , I have only received till now 2 covers of the 6 I need to send back. Let me know if I should wait or send these 2.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Hi Andy

So of the 10 covers sent you have received the 4 marked on the back for you and two others, so you are missing 4 covers marked on the back for other people?

When did the last covers arrive?

Ian

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”