Banging the drum for the Uglies - Indian States stamps

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

mmaddury
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Banging the drum for the Uglies - Indian States stamps

Post by mmaddury »

RoCe wrote:
05 Dec 2020 10:04
Yes, I agree. Plus there were too many lots (almost 700) in this auction for a relatively low number of collectors. Recent Mauritius and Egypt Feldman auctions had less than 300 hundred lots, which had positive impact on realizations. It would be better for the seller if the sale is reduced to high-value items only.
Very true. Due to the large number of small value lots, there was also "auction fatigue". A collector told me off board that the British Commonwealth items were also very highly priced. Perhaps DF overestimated the market.

psphani
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by psphani »

I was interested to see if the Nawanagar SG 1 tete-beche sheet (Lot 50607) would sell. The sheet did not sell though the tete-beche pair (Lot 50608) did sell for £1400 + £300(Commission) = £1700. A very good price.

This tete-beche variety(SG 1a) is known in 2 settings for the imperforate and 1 setting for the perforate (SG 2a). All the 3 settings are in the vertical format of 8 rows by 4 columns.

Both the lots (50607 & 50608) are from Setting J where the variety is on position 10 (R 3/2), its known to be issued in 1884 as per the watermark on sheet. I sold one out of the 2 copies, almost similar pair in early 2019 and i am happy i did as i used that money to buy Lot 40308 from DF - Dec 2018 auction.

The same variety (SG 1a) is known in Setting H where the variety is on position 28 (R 7/4) which is much scarcer to get, no probable date known but as per the cliche arrangement it is next after setting G. This was sold in the December 2018 auction at DF - Lot 40308 which went for £2000 + £440 = £2440. I have seen just 3 examples of the variety from this setting as a pair and Lot 40308 was the best as it was a marginal vertical pair clearly pointing its not from Setting J. I really had to go beyond my expected bid to purchase Lot 40308.

This tete-beche variety in Setting G is the perforated 10½-11½ version of SG 1 (SG 2ab) which is scarce and the SG catalogue value clearly says that, the variety is on position 16 (R 4/4). This setting G was issued in 1880 as per the watermark on the sheet.

In my opinion Setting H is as scarce as Setting G (SG 2ab). Sadly SG does not catalogue as per setting which is expected. The SG catalogue for SG 1a is justified for Setting J, but if one wishes to specialize then don't estimate Setting H as per the catalogue.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

psphani

Post by psphani »

Another interesting observation on Bhor. I have this beautiful Bhor SG 2 which appears as used on piece. Unidentified cancel as of now, but known on SG 1 and 2.
Bhor SG 2 Used
Bhor SG 2 Used

I felt the paper and its actually not on piece. if you notice carefully, the handstamp appears on the brownish paper also. It seems the white paper has faded to brown.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

RoCe
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by RoCe »

Yes, really a beautiful curiosity. Cancel doesn´t appear uncommon on SG 2, but I haven´t seen it on SG 1 yet (probably much rarer usage).

psphani

Post by psphani »

Yes the cancel is not common on SG 1. All the copies of this cancel i own have the same dimensions. There was a Bhor SG 1 (Lot 50088) sheet in the DF auction which sold for £700 + £150 = £850. Hope we crack this cancel someday.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

This cancellation was discussed earlier (actually started by Roman).
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=4493491#p4493491

My examples are below.

Bhor SG1
Bhor SG1.jpg
This example shows the printing partially on white and partially on brown paper. There is an "edge" between the white and brown part so I thought it was printed partially on the brown envelope. Joy had a different view below:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=4494662#p4494662

Bhor SG2
Bhor SG2.jpg
Last edited by mmaddury on 09 Dec 2020 04:21, edited 2 times in total.

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

After processing one of the SG2 stamps, and comparing against a mint SG2, we see:
Bhor SG2 - 6.jpg
The cancellation in black (magenta in the example above due to manipulation - you get the idea) is the same as the stamp imprint in red. This has been observed in Soruth for example where the SG1 imprint is used as both the stamp and the cancellation.

I'm not sure why this was done. Perhaps this is from a smaller village which did not have it's own obliterator. Or perhaps the standard obliterator was missing? Or maybe it was a CTO item requested by a collector.

Thoughts?
Last edited by mmaddury on 09 Dec 2020 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

This should go in the Indian Post to reach a wider audience.

mukulgarga
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by mukulgarga »

What are the advantages/disadvantages of selling stamps on ebay versus selling at ISC auction?
You can't have them all

icollect

Post by icollect »

mmaddury wrote:
09 Dec 2020 04:18
The cancellation in black (magenta in the example above due to manipulation - you get the idea) is the same as the stamp imprint in red. This has been observed in Soruth for example where the SG1 imprint is used as both the stamp and the cancellation.
I had same opinion about it. But the cancel appears to be square shaped, while SG2 is more rectangular.

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

Yes, the shape does not match. The tools for the stamp and cancellation could be different but the imprint matches very well.

psphani

Post by psphani »

Mahesh, i feel what we see is actually the handstamp 1 Anna itself and not the obliterate (cancellation) in your scan above. The clearest example i have of this is below. Note that this obliterate is different from all the known ones wherein its not intaglio but the usual postmark.
BhorCancels_Variety2.jpg
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

psphani

Post by psphani »

mukulgarga wrote:
09 Dec 2020 23:42
What are the advantages/disadvantages of selling stamps on ebay versus selling at ISC auction?
If you cannot take a loss on your purchases, then go with auction house/ISC that will start at a reserve price of your choice. You can also start at a reserve price or put it for Buy it Now on eBay. eBay is unpredictable and sometimes you might realize a good price but you should be mentally prepared to take a hit also.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

psphani wrote:
10 Dec 2020 05:41
Mahesh, i feel what we see is actually the handstamp 1 Anna itself and not the obliterate (cancellation) in your scan above. The clearest example i have of this is below. Note that this obliterate is different from all the known ones wherein its not intaglio but the usual postmark.

Could be, let me check the scans again.

psphani

Post by psphani »

psphani wrote:
10 Dec 2020 05:52
mukulgarga wrote:
If you cannot take a loss on your purchases, then go with auction house/ISC that will start at a reserve price of your choice. You can also start at a reserve price or put it for Buy it Now on eBay. eBay is unpredictable and sometimes you might realize a good price but you should be mentally prepared to take a hit also.
Also i learnt that to have a SG listing for an unlisted variety in Feudatory States, the quickest is to have it sold via their regular auction. Over all, if you want the item to reach a wider audience then go with a reputed auction house. But there is no guarantee it will fetch good price as we have seen from the recent SG Uttama auctions.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

psphani wrote:
mukulgarga wrote:
Thanks Srinivas. That was what I thought. Only one negative of ISC is that it would take a turn around time of about 3-4 months in sending the stamps, getting them auctioned and then getting paid.
You can't have them all

psphani

Post by psphani »

mukulgarga wrote:
10 Dec 2020 13:13
psphani wrote:
mukulgarga wrote:
Thanks Srinivas. That was what I thought. Only one negative of ISC is that it would take a turn around time of about 3-4 months in sending the stamps, getting them auctioned and then getting paid.
Mukul, you are correct. When you sell via any auction house/ISC , it would take months before you see the money in your account. Selling on eBay, the funds would be within days and you have to take responsibility for any loss in transit.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

RoCe

Post by RoCe »

I need help with one Indore stamp, Three Annas SG S5. I have this stamp in two different colors – in standard violet and in one, which is close to “lake” used for Half Anna stamp. Does someone have more information about this unlisted shade?
Attachments
Indore SG S5 - two shades
Indore SG S5 - two shades

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RogerE »

Indore SG S5: The 'SERVICE' overprint on the right hand stamp looks slightly doubled
(perhaps a strike made when the stamp was initially not quite flat, but settled down
flatter when the strike was being completed?)
The middle stroke of the first E apparently includes a circular ink blob. Is the overprint
genuine?

/RogerE :D

RoCe

Post by RoCe »

Yes, the overprint is slightly doubled. I don´t know if it is genuine or not, but I have it on several other stamps and have seen it on many ebay items as well. And the stamp without overprint is more expensive as these Service stamps have low value.
Attachments
Indore SG S5 - Overprint detail
Indore SG S5 - Overprint detail

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

RoCe wrote:
13 Dec 2020 08:09
I need help with one Indore stamp, Three Annas SG S5. I have this stamp in two different colors – in standard violet and in one, which is close to “lake” used for Half Anna stamp. Does someone have more information about this unlisted shade?
An interesting stamp. It could be a scanner issue, but I'm not sure that is lake. The color is lighter and closer to rose/pink. Can you post a scan of the ½a and this stamp side by side to eliminate scanner issues?

If it is not actually lake, maybe the violet is a fugitive ink?
Last edited by mmaddury on 13 Dec 2020 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

I need help with the following stamp. SG lists the ½a black and deep blue with Type O2 in red as SG O21. But the overprint below looks like Type O3.

Soruth_HalfAnna_Sarkari.jpg

Thoughts?

RoCe

Post by RoCe »

mmaddury wrote:
13 Dec 2020 18:35
RoCe wrote:
An interesting stamp. It could be a scanner issue, but I'm not sure that is lake. The color is lighter and closer to rose/pink. Can you post a scan of the ½a and this stamp side by side to eliminate scanner issues?

Mahesh, you are right, the color is lighter than that of Half Anna stamp:
Attachments
Indore- Service Half Anna and Three Annas.jpg

psphani

Post by psphani »

RoCe wrote:
14 Dec 2020 00:10
mmaddury wrote:
13 Dec 2020 18:35
RoCe wrote:

Mahesh, you are right, the color is lighter than that of Half Anna stamp:
Please zoom into the 3 Anna’s and you will notice minute dots of violet.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

RoCe

Post by RoCe »

Yes, you are right. There are violet dots when zoomed. Does it mean that the stamp was exposed to some chemical manipulation? Or is it possible it happened during the printing process?

jerrymouse
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by jerrymouse »

Hello India Experts and Enthusiasts, I went through first 60 pages of this thread already to find what this unknown ugly is. Couldn’t find anything yet. So I’m asking your help to give me a clue. Thanks!Image
Attachments
95FC063D-6B20-42C1-8BB9-1FEB2B2F1CA8.jpeg
// Best Regards
// Jarir F.

psphani

Post by psphani »

jerrymouse wrote:
14 Dec 2020 08:48
Hello India Experts and Enthusiasts, I went through first 60 pages of this thread already to find what this unknown ugly is. Couldn’t find anything yet. So I’m asking your help to give me a clue. Thanks!
Hi,

This is Bhor 1 rupee fiscal stamp. 1880 issue - KM 205

“Sri Pant Sachiv Kimat 1 Rupee”
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

psphani

Post by psphani »

RoCe wrote:
14 Dec 2020 08:27
Yes, you are right. There are violet dots when zoomed. Does it mean that the stamp was exposed to some chemical manipulation? Or is it possible it happened during the printing process?
Most likely stamp was exposed to chemical manipulation. I don't think it must have happened during the printing process.
Last edited by psphani on 14 Dec 2020 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

peterh
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by peterh »

mmaddury wrote:
13 Dec 2020 18:43
I need help with the following stamp. SG lists the ½a black and deep blue with Type O2 in red as SG O21. But the overprint below looks like Type O3.

Thoughts?
It looks like an O2 overprint to me.

psphani

Post by psphani »

jerrymouse wrote:
Hello India Experts and Enthusiasts, I went through first 60 pages of this thread already to find what this unknown ugly is. Couldn’t find anything yet. So I’m asking your help to give me a clue. Thanks! Image
Hi,

This is Bhor 1 rupee fiscal stamp on yellow paper. 1880 issue - KM 204 and not 205.
The inscription inside the square is
"Sri Pant Sachiv Ki Ek (Kimat One) Rupaiya (Rupee)".

Revenue collectors can tell more about this whether its genuine, but i do know its a rare stamp to get as MINT.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

psphani wrote:
14 Dec 2020 09:42
RoCe wrote:
Most likely stamp was exposed to chemical manipulation. I don't think it must have happened during the printing process.
Or it could be a case of fugitive ink. J&K SG 151, 1a blue green is frequently seen as dirty yellow. If you look closely you will see dots of blue ink similar to the dots you see on the Indore 3a stamp.
Last edited by mmaddury on 14 Dec 2020 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

peterh wrote:
14 Dec 2020 10:01

Ok, thanks. My understanding is that Types O2 and O3 are both serif fonts but the difference is the size of the feet and the thickness of curves in letters.

Soruth_HalfAnna_Sarkari 1.jpg

The yellow arrows above seem to indicate a serif font - note that the upper and lower curves of the "S" are thin lines. The green arrow points to a non-serif font (not the same as Type O2) but the curves of "S" are filled out.

The red arrow points to the foot of "S" it is definitely larger than the one in Type O2.

It seems to be Type O3 but SG has no such listing. :?

jerrymouse

Post by jerrymouse »

psphani wrote:
14 Dec 2020 10:26
jerrymouse wrote:
Hello India Experts and Enthusiasts, I went through first 60 pages of this thread already to find what this unknown ugly is. Couldn’t find anything yet. So I’m asking your help to give me a clue. Thanks! Image
Hi,

This is Bhor 1 rupee fiscal stamp on yellow paper. 1880 issue - KM 204 and not 205.
The inscription inside the square is
"Sri Pant Sachiv Ki Ek (Kimat One) Rupaiya (Rupee)".

Revenue collectors can tell more about this whether its genuine, but i do know its a rare stamp to get as MINT.
Thank you psphani!
// Best Regards
// Jarir F.

abctoo

Post by abctoo »

mmaddury wrote:
14 Dec 2020 11:02
peterh wrote:
14 Dec 2020 10:01

Ok, thanks. My understanding is that Types O2 and O3 are both serif fonts but the difference is the size of the feet and the thickness of curves in letters.

The yellow arrows above seem to indicate a serif font - note that the upper and lower curves of the "S" are thin lines. The green arrow points to a non-serif font (not the same as Type O2) but the curves of "S" are filled out.

The red arrow points to the foot of "S" it is definitely larger than the one in Type O2.

It seems to be Type O3 but SG has no such listing. :?
I think you have some confusion about what a "serif" is. The difference in type face between serif and san-serif types is not the thickness of the curves of the letter, but those extra things (the serif) that are added to a character that can be read without the additional markings (serifs). In the case of both of "S" you refer to, the "serifs" are the vertical lines at both ends of each "S"

The Horizontal lines at the top and bottom of the "K" and "I" in the overprint are also serifs, just as are the extension of the curve of "R" to the left of its vertical line at top and the horizontal bar on its foot in the overprint. Take a look at the characters in both the overprint and at top of the stamp to see more examples of extraneous markings (the serif) not necessary to the reading of the character they are attached to.

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

I had a typo stating that the green arrow was pointing to a non-serif font. I agree that it is a serif font.

The rest of my message is specific to the differences between Type O2 and O3 (both of which are serif fonts as I indicated in my earlier post). The difference between them is the size of the foot and the thickness of the curves. Please refer to the SG catalog for details on this.

RoCe

Post by RoCe »

mmaddury wrote:
14 Dec 2020 10:46
psphani wrote:
14 Dec 2020 09:42
RoCe wrote:
Or it could be a case of fugitive ink. J&K SG 151, 1a blue green is frequently seen as dirty yellow. If you look closely you will see dots of blue ink similar to the dots you see on the Indore 3a stamp.
Thanks both for your opinions!

abctoo

Post by abctoo »

mmaddury wrote:
14 Dec 2020 14:00
I had a typo stating that the green arrow was pointing to a non-serif font. I agree that it is a serif font.

The rest of my message is specific to the differences between Type O2 and O3 (both of which are serif fonts as I indicated in my earlier post). The difference between them is the size of the foot and the thickness of the curves. Please refer to the SG catalog for details on this.
My apologies. Whether the basic stamp is common or not, I see so few of them that I was trying understand. I should have known it was a typo and that you were making distinctions in overprint varieties. I read this column religiously and was just trying to throw my 2 cents in. Keep writing. I'm person who enjoys it. Be well, Mike

vijaylive
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by vijaylive »

I use the exhibit of Dan Walker for reference. See if this helps for comparing the type O2/O3.

Tell sign for me is upper serifs of I, which appears longer - so likely O2. I will leave it to other expert though for their opinion.

mmaddury wrote:
13 Dec 2020 18:43

Thoughts?

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

Ok, thanks.

psphani

Post by psphani »

I could not find a clear constant distinguishing factor between Type 2 and Type 3 SARKARI overprint. When you read the history of these SARKARI Serif overprints, one would expect to find few more types. The manuscript SERVICE in English or Devanagari is also known on all of them

The only variety i know is a doubled SARKARI on Soruth 3 Pies (SG O20), of course its unlisted and i doubt if it will ever get a listing. It would be in similar position to the Jaipur doubled SERVICE on the 2 Annas investiture that i discovered. I really don't understand the logic, when a small dot missing varieties can be listed in Br India, why not a big error like Doubled SERVICE!!!
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

VronskiBest

Post by VronskiBest »

Great information. Nicely written too.

psphani

Post by psphani »

Anybody know of the new listings for Feudatory states in the latest SG commonwealth catalogue? I heard the unlisted varieties that were sold in Uttama auction would get a listing.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge

shivnair
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by shivnair »

Two interesting covers showing cochin usage.
Both are Summons issued by the Trichur Court, and show the correct postage totalling four and a half annas. What makes the covers interesting is that they were both returned as the summonees apparently had passed away. The first cover says , I think, "left from the world" the second just says "deceased". The back of both covers states in malayalam, the local language that the addressee is deceased and the letter is returned . Whether they actually died or were trying to avoid the summons....we will never know
Attachments
IMG_3977.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
#shivshankarnair

icollect

Post by icollect »

Bhopal Collectors, what book/article do you use to study Bhopal cancels?

peterh

Re: Banging the drum for the Uglies

Post by peterh »

A Las Bela item:

This post was from Tony 7 years and a day ago, in response to an image I had provided of the Las Bela Liari office cancellation:
tonymacg wrote:
31 Dec 2013 11:29
Dawson (and presumably Evans) had only seen the Bela and Karachi postmarks, so any other places at all are very scarce. If only this cover to (Son)Miani

had received a Miani receiver ...

I recently picked this up on eBay, which appears to be Sonmiani, although it seems to read SONFMIANI or maybe SONEMIANI?

I haven't seen this illustrated anywhere else. Has anyone seen any of the other offices?
Stamps378.JPG
[attachment=0]Stamps379.JPG
Attachments
Stamps379.JPG

abctoo

Post by abctoo »

peterh wrote:
02 Jan 2021 07:57
A Las Bela item:

This post was from Tony 7 years and a day ago, in response to an image I had provided of the Las Bela Liari office cancellation:
tonymacg wrote:
31 Dec 2013 11:29
Dawson (and presumably Evans) had only seen the Bela and Karachi postmarks, so any other places at all are very scarce. If only this cover to (Son)Miani

had received a Miani receiver ...

I recently picked this up on eBay, which appears to be Sonmiani, although it seems to read SONFMIANI or maybe SONEMIANI?

I haven't seen this illustrated anywhere else. Has anyone seen any of the other offices?

My knowledge of script is very limited, but try Somiani (Urdu: سونمیانی‎). I could be way off. Mike

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

peterh wrote:

Stamps379.JPG [url=./download/file.php?id=77247&mode=view][img]./download/file.php?id=77247[/img][/url] [/quote] A nice stamp Peter. I think your stamp was cancelled with a faulty slug that caused the "E" to appear as an "F". Here is another cover to Sonemiani but also missing the receipt stamp. Incidentally, the recipient of this cover is the same person as Tony's cover. [attachment=2]lb1.jpg

A nice stamp Peter. I think your stamp was cancelled with a faulty slug that caused the "E" to appear as an "F".

Here is another cover to Sonemiani but also missing the receipt stamp. Incidentally, the recipient of this cover is the same person as Tony's cover.

lb1.jpg
lb2.jpg

And below is a stamp cancelled at Sonemiani.

lb3.jpg

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

Sonemiani is the anglicized version of the Urdu "Sonmiani".

lb6.jpg

peterh

Post by peterh »

mmaddury wrote:
02 Jan 2021 12:15
peterh wrote:

A nice stamp Peter. I think your stamp was cancelled with a faulty slug that caused the "E" to appear as an "F".

Here is another cover to Sonemiani but also missing the receipt stamp. Incidentally, the recipient of this cover is the same person as Tony's cover.

And below is a stamp cancelled at Sonemiani.

Thanks for that Mahesh. Do you know if any other offices are recorded?

mmaddury

Post by mmaddury »

peterh wrote:
03 Jan 2021 03:13

Thanks for that Mahesh. Do you know if any other offices are recorded?
Coming back to stamps...

Yes, there are at least three other recorded offices - Bela, Uthal and Liari. Liari is sometimes spelled Liyari. IIRC, Peter, I believe you have a stamp with a Liari cancellation on it.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”