Coronavirus impacting international mail services

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Coronavirus impacting international mail services

Post by MJ's pet »

The WA parcel referred to above arrived. Posted 6 Aug, arrived in the East 24 Aug, 18 days transit. Not that bad.

The strange thing was there was no tracking after the initial logdgment until delivery - so who knows where it went, and when.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Catweazle wrote:
23 Aug 2020 15:09
Looks like Glen has branched out into offering a personalised mail service? :ugeek:

The conjunction of the words "Glen Stephens" and "Speedy" would constitute misleading advertising! :lol: :lol:

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Here is an interesting cover sent from Israel to France, postmarked indistinctly 01.05.20 (?), with a Canada Post slogan cancel dated July 8 from the Toronto machine that processes incoming mail (M4L 3825). There are no markings on the back other than the Canada Post fluorescent orange barcode dated JL09. The cover arrived in France sometime before July 28.

Israel Canada France cover.jpg

It seems the cover was missent to Canada and then redirected to France?? I can't imagine this was a planned routing even with COVID-19 disruptions... :?:

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Waffle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Waffle »

To heck with Corona virus affecting International mail read this. I posted a letter to myself with the $2-20 Christmas Island stamp. I cancelled it myself at the Golden Beach post office dated 16/8/20. It arrived at my home 400 metres from the Golden Beach post office today, 26/8/20. Ten days to travel 400 metres, well I never. Really does have the appelation "snail mail."
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

Waffle wrote:
26 Aug 2020 15:55
To heck with Corona virus affecting International mail read this. I posted a letter to myself with the $2-20 Christmas Island stamp. I cancelled it myself at the Golden Beach post office dated 16/8/20. It arrived at my home 400 metres from the Golden Beach post office today, 26/8/20. Ten days to travel 400 metres, well I never. Really does have the appelation "snail mail."
You only had to wait 10 days? Lucky bastard! I have several outstanding stamp orders over three weeks old, all from interstate some from Queensland which only a few weeks ago were still arriving within 5 working days. I have had no mail at all in over two weeks.

So it's not just overseas mail. Most local mail is just as bad, although my last order from our Board host three weeks back arrived in three days (despite an empty threat Glen made to not mail me any orders I sent him before Mid 2021. He really is just a big cuddly teddy bear)

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

lakatoi lover
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by lakatoi lover »

I mailed a letter from Mount Gambier to my son in Melbourne.....took 3 weeks to arrive!!

It's only 450 kms by road, I could have driven it there in 5 hours BUT they wouldn't let me back into South Australia :lol: :lol:

International mail has been 8-12 weeks but is slowly improving.

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Today I attempted to post a small package SB members waffle and Ubobo.R.O.

My local PO here in Ireland refused it saying mails to Australia are suspended. This confirms the information on An Post website:
An Post mail to Australia
An Post mail to Australia
Checking the Australia Post website, the message is a little unclear re: inbound international mail - I see in SB cover exchange threads that Australian participants are receiving covers from overseas.

Have other Ireland members posted mail to Australia recently, I posted two covers to AMark in Canada some days ago without issue but as I type he has not received them. Can someone clarify current status for Australia?
Down the 'corridor of uncertainty'

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

What the Australia Post website says about sending to Ireland.

2020-08-26_213434.jpg
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I'm being a bit impatient. Posted something to Australia on 24th July.

Incoming, had no post since last Friday. Boo hoo. I like reading nice letters from penfriends around the world.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Some poor chap in Germany is waiting to send me a tiny little parcel. Probably more like a large letter, I think. But he reckons there's a €60+ surcharge on all small packages to Australia.

We've mutually agreed to wait it out another month.

I'm considering paying the surcharge anyway... We'll see what happens.

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

Catweazle wrote:
27 Aug 2020 20:17
Some poor chap in Germany is waiting to send me a tiny little parcel. Probably more like a large letter, I think. But he reckons there's a €60+ surcharge on all small packages to Australia.

There is no surcharge on small parcels but the only parcels which are accepted to Australia are 5 KG Premium Service parcels. Hence the high price...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

lesbootman
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by lesbootman »

A letter posted from the town of Papa in Hungary reached me in Greater Manchester (UK) last week. Transit time 3 days. Acceptable even in normal times.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I am getting post from Germany in 2 days- better than a lot of local post!

Snap73
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Snap73 »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
26 Aug 2020 22:36
What the Australia Post website says about sending to Ireland.

Post from Australia to Ireland takes at least six weeks, from my experience.

I'm still waiting for post from Australia that was shipped on July 3rd.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Letter posted from Latvia on Monday reached me in the UK on Friday. 4 days.

Another from France took a day less.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Catweazle wrote:
27 Aug 2020 20:17

I vote "wait" ... unless the contents are essential.

aladeral
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by aladeral »

News !!!
This is the List of countries enabled for international shipping.
AUSTRALIA
CANADA
CHINA
DENMARK
U.S
GREECE
ENGLAND
JAPAN
KOREA
NEW ZEALAND
SWITZERLAND
HOLLAND
IRELAND
SPAIN
BELGIUM
FRANCE
DUBAI EMIRATES
GERMANY
PORTUGAL
ITALY
SINGAPORE
RUSSIA
ISRAEL
POLAND
SWITZERLAND

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

aladeral wrote:
02 Sep 2020 18:06
News !!!
This is the List of countries enabled for international shipping.
Who/what organisation created the list?
Is this list intended to show current mail services to/from Peru? Or is it a general list?

If it's a general list it is clearly inaccurate, see my post above re: all mail suspended to Australia from Ireland.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I have just received a registered envelope from Melbourne which was sent on the 12th April 2020. Admittedly it wasn't first class! Similarly I am awaiting an envelope from Argentina sent some 5 weeks ago (although the suspension of outgoing mail from there has only been lifted for about three weeks), and one from Canada four weeks ago. That having been said mail within the UK is about normal as is the incoming mail from most of Europe.

As you can see from the attached cover back, mail from New Guinea to the USA by ship arrived in about 6/7 weeks (including 2 weeks between Rabaul and Sydney). The front is even more impressive!
kansas back.jpg
The cover, which is unusually sealed by what looks like the selvedge from the New Guinea Huts issue has been initialled and endorsed 'Treasury' and probably contained an order for 'Huts' stamps placed by the catholic priest. Leonard Meister. The front, similarly colourful, has the unique combination of an NWPI OS 3d Olive and 4d OS Ultramarine. The reason for the three 'Delia' strikes on three different days relates to the re-addressing of the cover after attempts to deliver in Delia were unsuccessful!

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

The Messenger, 3 September 2020 wrote:

Almost 40 Adelaide suburbs have letter deliveries cut in half by Australia Post

Metropolitan suburbs will only receive letters every second day after Australia Post announced big changes to mail deliveries and nearly 40 Adelaide suburbs are already seeing the changes.

Residents in Adelaide’s south and west are among the first to be hit by Australia Post cuts which mean their letters will only be delivered every second day.

Letter delivery changes started to roll out last month and will occur in different suburbs at different times with all metropolitan areas set to be eventually impacted.

The new delivery routine took effect in a number of southern and western suburbs last week,

including postcodes 5047 and 5158 to 5170.

The postcodes make up the majority of the southern suburbs and the western suburbs of Dover Gardens, Brighton and Hove.

An Australia Post spokeswomen said the changes were part of temporary measures in response to the operating constraints due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“Additional Australia Post parcel delivery vans will be hitting the streets in Adelaide’s southern suburbs over the coming weeks as some posties become temporary parcel posties to deliver unprecedented parcel volumes and meet the changing needs of customers through COVID-19,” the spokeswoman said.

“While posties continue to deliver letters, this will temporarily change to be every second business day, or five times each fortnight.

“Express Post, parcels and Post Office Box mail will continue to be delivered five days a week.”

The changes would apply until June 30, 2021.

Federal Labor MP for Kingston Amanda Rishworth said the changes were outrageous.

“The Morrison Government and AusPost have been working together to cut postal services under the guise of COVID, despite AusPost recently recording a half a billion dollar surge in annual revenue,” she said.

Labor MP for Hurtle Vale Nat Cook said metropolitan residents deserved better.

“The decision by Australia Post to go to an ‘every second business day’ delivery system for southern residents, during a time when people are relying more and more on the postal service for delivery of parcels and packages in particular is appalling,” she said.

Residents will be notified of their letter frequency changes via a postcard in their letterbox.

The suburbs moving to every second day deliveries starting in August:

Dover Gardens
North Brighton
South Brighton
Brighton
Hove
Hallett Cove
Sheidow Park
O’Halloran Hill
Trott Park
Aberfoyle Park
Flagstaff Hill
Chandlers Hill
Happy Valley
Lonsdale
Reynella
Old Reynella
Reynella East
Morphett Vale
Woodcroft
Huntfield Heights
Hackham
Hackham West
Onkaparinga Hills
Christie Downs
Christies Beach
O’Sullivan Beach
Port Noarlunga
Port Noarlunga South
Noarlunga Centre
Old Noarlunga
Noarlunga Downs
Seaford Meadows
Seaford Heights
Seaford Rise
Moana
Seaford
Maslin Beach

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Australia Post

International delivery information
3 September 2020

We are working with a range of airline and postal partners to expand our network to its full capacity and resume services to lanes that are currently suspended due to border closures or severe operational impacts in the destination country.

International Standard and Express services have resumed to Pakistan, Iran, Austria, Philippines, Myanmar and Bangladesh as of 7th August.

Please check the 'returning undelivered items sent to these suspended destinations' list for the destinations that will have items returned to sender. All other items sent to suspended destinations will be delivered, subject to delays.
There are still delivery delays to all international destinations because of the impacts of COVID-19, including due to airline capacity and in-country delivery impacts.

We have updated our Estimated Delivery Times based on delivery performance over the past four weeks and our most recent information received from our airline and international postal partners. Note that these are estimates only and are subject to change (see Melbourne and Regional Victoria update below). We recommend you check this website regularly to read the most up to date Estimated Delivery Times. Please note that time in customs is not included in our delivery time estimate and is outside of Australia Post’s control.

Please note, Australia Post has suspended its “Economy Air” international delivery service for parcels and Economy letters containing merchandise to all countries effective 2 April until further notice.

cursus
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by cursus »

A letter from Andorra to Barcelona (220 km) took 1 week.
I collect: Estonia 1990-1992 Postal History. Barcelona Postal History and postmarks. Catalan cinderellas. Botanical gardens. Ice creams on stamps. Used UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Scandinavia.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks cursus — not too bad!

Re Australia Post halving delivery days — Newcastle NSW area residents have received notification of the same constraint on home deliveries of mail.

/RogerE

zemstvo

Post by zemstvo »

A letter, an eBay purchase, took one month from USA to Finland .

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

A purchase from a fellow Board member took 8 days from Western Canada (British Columbia) to get to England.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

On 3 June, on this thread, I reported that a 1kg parcel of craft product from northern Italy to Launceston, Tasmania took seven days to get here.

On Monday this week, we received a 1.5kg parcel via DHL from same craft supplier in northern Italy - it took nine days to get here this time;

Yesterday (9 Sept) I received a Father's Day card from our daughter and son-in-law in Brisbane, Queensland, posted on Thursday 27 August - just under two weeks - pathetic. Daughter wondered why I didn't thank her for the card when she rang on Sunday.

Today (10 Sept) I received an eBay purchase (a regular-sized envelope containing one stamp) from New York, posted on 10 August - probably not too bad;

Cheers, Gordon

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Still waiting for a large letter posted from Auckland NZ to Caloundra QLD 35 days ago.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

A recent Ireland to Canada <100g letter took 15 days, a reciprocal Canada to Ireland took 5 days.
Current suspensions to some destinations are still in place as I type, most notably packages/parcels to US, all mail to Australia & New Zealand.
India with high numbers of reported cases is open for all mail to/from Ireland.

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Letter received from Milwaukee USA to UK took 8 days.

Post by 22028 »

Letter posted in Philadelphia / USA on 8 September arrived today.., just 4 days, not bad.
In addition, letter from Ontario / Canada posted 4 September also arrived today.
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

TheRoyalCounty wrote:
26 Aug 2020 22:10
Today I attempted to post a small package SB members waffle and Ubobo.R.O.

My local PO here in Ireland refused it saying mails to Australia are suspended. This confirms the information on An Post website:

Checking the Australia Post website, the message is a little unclear re: inbound international mail - I see in SB cover exchange threads that Australian participants are receiving covers from overseas.

Have other Ireland members posted mail to Australia recently, I posted two covers to AMark in Canada some days ago without issue but as I type he has not received them. Can someone clarify current status for Australia?
From the An Post website "From September 29th Customers will be able to buy postage and send items to Australia and New Zealand & Singapore. Customer will also be able to send parcels to the USA."

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Thanks Erinmania, good news indeed :D

Here's the text from the An Post website:
Sending items to USA, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore.
From September 29th Customers will be able to buy postage and send items to Australia and New Zealand & Singapore. Customer will also be able to send parcels to the USA.

USA Parcels – From September 29th you will be able to buy postage and send parcels upto 10KG to USA.
Australia – All mail types – From September 29th you will be able to buy postage and send your item to Australia. Please note a limit of 10kg will apply to parcel sending.
New Zealand – All mail types – From September 29th you will be able to buy postage and send your item to New Zealand. Please note a limit of 10kg will apply to parcel sending.
Singapore – All mail types – From September 29th you will be able to buy postage and send your item to Singapore.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Received a cover from norvic on September 14 that was posted on August 27, not horrible but UK to Canada mail is usually faster than that. Nice stamps used for franking - will post the cover in the GB 2020 stamps on cover thread.

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

Most mail from Australia seems to have been greatly improved to most countries. USA, Canada, UK, South East Asia and Western Europe is taking between 3-5 weeks. Mail to Eastern Europe & Scandinavia are still the problem, taking between 6-10 weeks.

David B.

meisterstempel
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by meisterstempel »

A greeting card to New Zealand from Australia arrived Friday after 4 weeks...

faro
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by faro »

Canada stamper wrote:
17 Sep 2020 12:38
Received a cover from norvic on September 14 that was posted on August 27, not horrible but UK to Canada mail is usually faster than that. Nice stamps used for franking - will post the cover in the GB 2020 stamps on cover thread.

Jean
My latest parcel (with customs clearance) UK to semi-rural Ontario was sent on Sep 8 and arrived on Sep 17.
Sounds like you were a little unlucky.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Most mail coming in and out of the Chinese-Soviet Republic of the State of Victoria is still really slow.

Chairman Dan is probably reading it all. :lol: :lol:

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Mail to me from New York City is taking about 5 to 6 weeks while mail from the west coast USA is taking half that time.

One item sent from New York City on July 16, turned up back in New York City on Friday. It is now back on it's way to me again. :roll:
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I bought a sheet from the US Postal Service in early May. I had to use a forwarding service, which is no big deal. But I only got that sheet late last month, which was 2 weeks after the service advised me that they had received it.

So it took about 4 months to make it to the service I. Oregon, and 2 weeks to get here from the West Coast.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Received today: nicely franked large padded envelope from Riga, Latvia.
Datestamped (x3): Olaine LV2114 on 25-03-2020. [Olaine is 26km southwest of Riga]
Received Wallsend, NSW, Australia: 22-09-2020
No evidence of customs inspection or other intermediate handling.
Elapsed time: 182 days.

Latvia received 22Sep2020.jpg
Latvia received 22Sep2020a.jpg
/RogerE :(

Berlin-Gus
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by Berlin-Gus »

Received airmail letter from Germany today (Monday, Sept. 28, 2020). It was posted on Monday, September 21, 2020. That is very good service especially since Canada Post does very little over the weekend.
Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Letter received from Milwaukee Wisconsin USA to UK took 7 days which seems to be the norm.

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Reading all these stories of delays, I must have been very lucky
Andorra.jpg
Placed an order on Delcampe from dealer in Andorra, mailed out on 23 September 2020, was in my mailbox today 28 September 2020 here in Columbus OH. Five days including weekend from Europe to the American Midwest is better than what I often experienced pre-COVID19.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

Berlin-Gus

Post by Berlin-Gus »

Received regular airmail letter today from Queensland, Australia to Ontario, Canada. It was mailed September 25 and received October 5, 2020. That would be very normal and excellent service.
Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ddaann
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by ddaann »

I think the USPS has improved a lot in the last 4-6 weeks. March through July was very erratic especially for packages.
I am "ddaannv" on ebay, Dan at Dan's Stamps on HipStamp, and an APS member 86690 since 1976. Currently listing some British colonies, Disney, birds on stamps, and world-wide souvenir sheets including some on cover.

scrute

Post by scrute »

32 days from New York to Perth. The SWLF postmark is hard to read but seems to be 08/10/2020 which means it took 17 days to get to Australia and then 15 days to make it across the Nullarbor. At those rates, no one at Australia Post deserves a Cartier watch.

Letter from NY
Letter from NY

Berlin-Gus

Post by Berlin-Gus »

Rec'd letter October 23, 2020 here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada that was mailed in Belgrade, Serbia by registered air mail on October 13, 2020. That is certainly good service.
Gus

graham
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Be aware of possible MAIL DELAYS due to Covid PO Disruptions

Post by graham »

As an avid thematic aviation collector of the world some countries have closed all mail for Australia. For example Sth America, Central America the Middle East, the Far East,Africa.

Europe a little better expect up to 4+ months from Spain, Portugal, Italy. I have personally found Greece, France, Germany, Great Britain have small delays usually take up to a month.

Baltic states, Russia had to be sent to UK address to be forwarded on. If you buy anything on line ask the seller the status of their postal administration first.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Yes to or from some countries 4 months to Oz, is usual STILL - sadly. :twisted:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

AdmiralCollector
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by AdmiralCollector »

In October, two registered letters from Russia to west coast US each took 12 days. One from Moscow, the other from St Petersburg. And eBay's suggested delivery dates were early February 2021.

My mail mailman would not let me sign for them. Instead, he laid them on the porch railing where I could see and inspect them, and asked my permission to let him sign for them. After I gave him my permission, he wrote COVID on his screen. In both cases, I was impressed because often the USPS does not even bother to get a signature on registered letters from other countries.

Meanwhile, another ebay item, purchased before both items from Russia, and coming from New Zealand, is still on its way.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”