Austria's new 1.8 Euro stamp issue re the UK EU Brexit move!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

pirano
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Austria's new 1.8 Euro stamp issue re the UK EU Brexit move!

Post by pirano »

Some great stamp trolling by Austria's post office, a real Brexit stamp, issued on 31 Jan.

I asked a friend to send me a few.

Collecting used postage and revenue stamps and covers worldwide. Find me on Colnect here: https://colnect.com/en/collectors/collector/BobRamsak
Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Austria's Brexit stamp

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

A new map stamp for me to keep an eye out for. Thankyou for letting us know Pirano.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Hankmccoy
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Hankmccoy »

They even have the crossed out date and everything! Top trolling indeed.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

pirano wrote:
Well, they've had the shaded maps knocking around for years.
Its kind of weird that "the people who kicked up a fuss 78 years ago about being run from Berlin, are o.k. with it today".
norvic

Post by norvic »

pirano wrote:Some great stamp trolling by Austria's post office, a real Brexit stamp, issued on 31 Jan. I asked a friend to send me a few.

There have been several mentions and discussions about this on social media. There is no evidence that this is either an official issue from Post AG nor one of their 'Meine Marke' personalised stamps which are all captioned ÖSTERREICH at the foot in black on yellow. Stamps on the website.

Whilst official issues are occasionally captioned AUSTRIA (and even ÖSTERRREICH) these are not common. I suggest this is nothing more than a spoof and if it exists then it is a fantasy issue (Panterra, are you there?).

Of course if somebody can find it on an official Post AG website then I will concede,, but it is not easy to find.
Last edited by norvic on 03 Feb 2020 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Simply a copy of the 1979 China stamp where the renegade province of Taiwan was also shown in white. :)
That one sells for $US500,000 if genuine - fakes abound on ebay of course -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17946

Not much interest for it in the Euro Zone renegade province I'd suspect. Maybe worth a Euro or two? :mrgreen:

You can barely get face value for the 1966 ENGLAND WINNERS stamps, over a half century on, so there will be little appetite there for this lampoon of Britain cutting itself adrift!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Re: Austria's new lampoon stamp to the UK EU Brexit - 1.8 Eu

Post by norvic »

I'd have put a black border on the Austrian stamp.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The Brits all cheerfully pay 200 quid a house or something to watch TV, so surely it MUST be a real stamp, if the official propaganda channel, you fund to the tune of 4 BILLION quid a year, reports it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
pirano

Post by pirano »

norvic wrote:
Of course if somebody can find it on an official Post AG website then I will concede
It was there last night. Unless I'm missing something in translation, it has since sold out apparently.

https://onlineshop.post.at/onlineshop/briefmarken---philatel ... arke_18208
Collecting used postage and revenue stamps and covers worldwide. Find me on Colnect here: https://colnect.com/en/collectors/collector/BobRamsak
Ubobo.R.O.

Re: Austria's new 1.8 Euro lampoon stamp, to the UK + EU Bre

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

If a Stampboards member puts one up as a giveaway, I will nominate Cill Dara.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Austria's new 1.8 Euro lampoon stamp, to the UK + EU Bre

Michael Bloomberg, hopefully the next USA President has his network reporting it thus - and as we now American Presidents are ALWAYS truthful and accurate. :lol: :lol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-31/new-from- ... irst-class

Cheeky? Lazy? Or simply cheap? Austria had planned a stamp to commemorate Britain’s departure from the European Union, but when the presumed deadline--March 29, 2019--came and went with no Brexit, the postal service found itself with 140,000 stamps bearing the wrong date.

Fast-forward 10 months, and as Britain finally heads for the exit, Austria is releasing the stamp--with the original date crossed out and Jan. 31, 2020 printed just below.

Image Source: Oesterreichische Post

The stamp shows the remaining 27 members of the European Union in deep blue, while the United Kingdom is printed in a transparent, light blue -- a shadow, so to speak. The stamps have a denomination of 1.80 euros, the price for sending a standard-sized priority letter to overseas destinations -- something Great Britain isn’t considered. Yet.

The stamps are available in a handful of Oesterreichische Post AG branches and its online shop. It wasn’t immediately clear if the operator had retained some sheets in their original state, without the overprint--creating a new object for philatelists to fetishize.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:The Brits all cheerfully pay 200 quid a house or something to watch TV, so surely it MUST be a real stamp, if the official propaganda channel, you fund to the tune of 4 BILLION quid a year, reports it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Funnily enough I rarely watch tv news, and then more often Channel 4. I read a newspaper, but more for local news.
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Austria's new 1.8 Euro lampoon stamp, re the UK -> EU Br

Post by GlenStephens »

Well under Brussells Regulation 1674(iii)26JR-2, Section 567, you are clearly entitled under EU law to a 50% refund then .. oh WAIT ............ did you lodge the 16 page refund form by Jan 31? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

They only printed 140,000?

Last edited by Allanswood on 03 Feb 2020 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:They only printed 140,000?
Well they knew no-one in England would buy one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote:
Allanswood wrote:They only printed 140,000?
Well they knew no-one in England would buy one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think we'd have sold all 140,000 easily, just in the UK, had they been widely available.

I actually see it appealing to both sides of the debate!!

In the bank, last Friday, numerous people were trying to get the 50p coin, and of course, our useless Royal Mail thought it "too much of a rush job", (with only 3 and a half years notice) to mark the occasion.

We marked going in.... we should have marked leaving.

Of course, we've have sold a ton more, with some minor tweaks to the design....
If there are only 140,000 out there, and "half of Britain want one" (not saying which half!!), plus demand from others (in the 27 "green bottle" countries remaining), then its set to become "a modern rarity".
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The Brain Dead Ebay Bunny Brigade of course are out in force on this -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brexit-Stamp-Austria/223888539022

88 Euros, masses of bids and 10 hours to go!
Parisboy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Parisboy »

There are loads for sale on Ebay from the reasonable to dreamer prices. :lol:

See the Sheriff's post above.

Chris.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Same Vienna seller is having a field day selling this near worthless (in 12 months) junk - these are a few of his SOLD LOTS!!!
If his sales continue at this pace, he'll be able to afford a week's vacation lounging on the fine white sands of England's finest beach, to celebrate this good fortune! Austria is land locked, so they foolishly THINK this is a beach!
Parisboy

Post by Parisboy »

Good old Brighton beach. :lol:

Yet just a few miles along the coast are some beautiful, sandy beaches.

Chris.
norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote:I think we'd have sold all 140,000 easily, just in the UK, had they been widely available.

In the bank, last Friday, numerous people were trying to get the 50p coin, and of course, our useless Royal Mail thought it "too much of a rush job", (with only 3 and a half years notice) to mark the occasion.
Royal Mail never said it was "too much of a rush job", they decline to produce any commemoration. Although the office of Postmaster General had been abolished in 1969 I suspect that in 1973 there was more political influence.

I think, as you say, that both sides of the debate would be interested. However, it would be as equally divisive as the chimes of Big Ben at 11pm last Friday.

I hope they don't produce anything next year, but I fear that again political pressure (and they eye for a quick buck) will prevail.
pirano

Post by pirano »

I've got a few flying my way on cover. :D

How's this for an email from a friend in philately?

:D
HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

It will be interesting to see whether this stamp will retain a high value in the future or whether it will become cheaper once interest in Brexit dies down.
Collecting worldwide revenue and postage stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

HalfpennyYellow wrote:It will be interesting to see whether this stamp will retain a high value in the future or whether it will become cheaper once interest in Brexit dies down.
They doubtless will be stuck on mail in 12 months! Austria will be reprinting them as we speak. A MILLION of them this time I imagine.

I wish the brain-dead ebay Bunny who paid $65 for this $3 face value stamp had donated the $60 overpayment to our Bushfire Appeal - at least THAT would have done some good for others and not just ebay profits. :idea:
DJCMH
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by DJCMH »

140K printing is about normal for overseas-rate stamps from Austria's Post AG. My guess is they felt that would be enough, since most Austrian new issues do not sell out even after months on sale.

Will be interesting to see if Post AG do reprint the stamp given that it did sell out so fast. My guess is that no one at Post AG expected it to sell out like that. I know it was available on Post AG's website on Sunday morning USA time, but by Monday AM it had been removed (since it had sold out).

Other question is will it be in the annual 2019 year pack, since the issue was NOT announced in the 2020 stamp program that Post AG published at the end of last year.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

DJCMH wrote:
Will be interesting to see if Post AG do reprint the stamp given that it did sell out so fast. My guess is that no one at Post AG expected it to sell out like that. I know it was available on Post AG's website on Sunday morning USA time, but by Monday AM it had been removed (since it had sold out).
Sounds like a near identical situation to the UK 1966 England Winners numbers printed fiasco - the brain dead official explanation on that is below.

Seriously, what sort of CRETINS in charge decided to print just 10% of what they already knew they regularly sold, of bog boring letter rate issues, like the recent National Botanical Conference etc???

At a measly 4d a pop, they'd have sold 100 million in weeks to delirious soccer fans alone as souvenirs - England winning ANYTHING international was near unheard of at that time. :lol: :lol:

Back then, the UK in toto barely won a few Gold Medals at any Olympic Games. (From 1960 to 1996 the UK never won more than 5 Gold at any Games - in Atlanta 1996 it was ONE GOLD!) The PO would have pocketed a MOTZA. :idea:
GB 4d 1966 "England Winners" stamp issue
ligneN

Post by ligneN »

Looks like a hoax to me - or is Mr. Hoax the new issue director of austrian posts?
HalfpennyYellow

While reprinting is obviously a possibility given that this is a new issue, I wouldn't be surprised if this is not reprinted.

In 2011, MaltaPost had issued a set of stamps depicting old buses, and they sold out quite quickly and began to get high prices on eBay (although not as much as the Austrian Brexit stamp). I had a thread about them here: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38955

As far as I know, the Malta stamps were never reprinted, even though MaltaPost could have easily ordered a second printing and they would have probably sold well.
Collecting worldwide revenue and postage stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Can someone post here please if they read anything here confirming or denying an official reprint. Thanks!
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Looks like prices are starting to come back down towards earth, this screenie is from tonight 8 Feb 9PM Eastern USA time, prices in US$
My guess is a few ebay seller "speculator" dealers thought they could make a "killing" on such a topical stamp selling to the ebay bunnies, hence why it sold out at Post AG within 48 hours.

Looks like reality is coming back to the marketplace, though any sale above face is all profit for these speculators.

Will be interesting to see how much these sell for in the marketplace in a year from now. I would wager probably double face value at best.

Those poor bunnies that bought in the first couple days at the exorbinate prices...
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The speculators are already starting to panic - dumping them by the full sheet-

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/50-x-BREXIT-BRIEFMARKE-AUF-BOGEN-STAMP-POST-AT-/274250213887
pirano

Post by pirano »

Among a massive pile of mail awaiting my return home were these two covers sent by a friend in Vienna. He somehow managed to get one post-marked on the 1st day of issue.

HalfpennyYellow

It seems that prices are already going down substantially. The lot below includes 8 stamps, and it sold today for €13.50 + €3.99 postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312988890433

That works out at €2.19 per stamp (including the postage), which is a premium of €0.39 over the face value of each stamp.

The prices which full sheets are selling for are also interesting to look at. First of all, one must keep in mind that a sheet of 50 has a face value of €90.
- Sold on 6 February for €171 + €10 postage: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402069781588
- Sold on 9 February for €402 (free postage): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333504830092
- Sold on 11 February for €117 + €13.99 postage: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312985448600

There are several full sheets (and a variety of singles/blocks) available on eBay right now - so one thing is clear: the supply seems to exceed the demand.
Last edited by HalfpennyYellow on 12 Feb 2020 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

And after the ebay and PayPal fees of about 12% in total are further deducted, we have yet another ebay pure genius seller. :!: :!: :!:
HalfpennyYellow

Global Administrator wrote:And after the ebay and PayPal fees of about 12% in total are further deducted, we have yet another ebay pure genius seller. :!: :!: :!:
I just edited my previous post adding some prices which full sheets have sold for.

At least one seller did quite well when his face €90 sheet sold for over €400. :shock:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

So no sign the PO is likely to reprint them it seems?

Glen
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Austria's new 1.8 Euro stamp issue re the UK EU Brexit m

A couple of British born clients asked me to get them in a sheet to keep for fun, so I have. :)

Have a few half sheets 25 left over as shown in pic below - [at] $A6 ($US4) per stamp - perfect #1 Hagner sheet size or stockbook etc. (Stock 792JP)

A beer or coffee costs that here, so not too pricey.

If they are not reprinted - as I really thought they would be, they may dry up soon enough! :lol:

If only 140,000 were issued, I guess this becomes a De-Facto *EUROPA* stamp issue, and if so 140,000 will not touch the sides, when the dust settles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glen
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

What an interesting stamp - got me thinking.

You could make an interesting collection showing the growth of the EU. I expect all countries issued material when they joined (early days a couple of stamps - now multiple stamps, M/S, presentation packs......this growth would be interesting in it's own right) and there were probably some issued by existing members as the EU expanded.

The various treaties and referundums might have been marked - twice in some cases. I will leave it at this as there is a massive thread about the possible demise of the EU elsewhere on the site
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

There has been a reprint, and it differs slightly from the original stamp
Image Image
In the original (left image) the 2020 date is lined parallel to the 2019 date, and there is a noticable space between the two dates. On the reprint (right image) the 2020 date is shifted slightly to the left, and there is much less space between 2019 and 2020 inscriptions.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Is it announced as a reprint? It might just be a normal misalignment / mis-registration of the colour. The overprint on your lower example is also higher than on the other one.
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

norvic wrote:Is it announced as a reprint? It might just be a normal misalignment / mis-registration of the colour. The overprint on your lower example is also higher than on the other one.
I will check with the contributor from Colnect who provides us information on Austrian New issues, but he submitted the item noting that it was an official reprint, not just a variety in placement of the surcharge from the original printing.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Is this new one really telling us anything new?

The original stamp was produced with a date of 29.03.2019.
This was never officially released, but may well turn up, given time.

140,000 were overprinted, and released, with a new date of 31.01.2020

We have seen a misalignment, which may be nothing more than a misalignment
(the strikeout bar to date distance is the same in both case).

Or it could be a second run of overprints.

Presumably "they did not commit the whole of their original print run to a 31.01.2020 date"
... just in case it changed again! :D

If they were reprinting from scratch, they would just have corrected the date.

Until Austria Post "tell us what they did", we are merely speculating.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The Bloomberg piece says the original stock was overprinted.

So the placement of that could really be slightly out of synch on some.

Looked at a few ebay pix, and some listed and sold weeks back vary slightly in position.

If reprinted, that would be announced I feel sure.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

My initial stock of sheets 50 from my Vienna dealer friend who got in early arrived this week.

Superb stamps in the flesh - the UK map is deliberately highly vanished, and glossy, making it stand out even more!

Face is over $A3 each, and I am selling these near face at under $US4 apiece, and have ordered more sheets as they are moving out pretty fast. (Stock 792JP) After that my man is sold out.

My Wholesaler dealer there assures me NONE were re-printed, as was the original concern, and 140,000 will not touch the sides for just Austria and EUROPA collections. They are selling well in the UK too, and I agree with comments above. We shall see. :mrgreen:

Glen
ViccyVFU wrote:
I think we'd have sold all 140,000 easily, just in the UK, had they been widely available.

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

It wouldn't make sense to reprint them, except as a money grab from collectors, since they were done to move out otherwise unsaleable stamps they already had printed.

Not to suggest that such things never happen, but I would guess it wouldn't go over well.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”