Australia Post to Release Disaster Charity Stamps: 18 Feb 20

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Australia Post to Release Disaster Charity Stamps: 18 Feb 20

Post by stampchris »

A seller in Queensland has posted on eBay a Disaster Relief Charity Booklet from Australia Post.
Booklet contents
Booklet cover
There's been no official announcement of these on Australia Post's stamp website, but there is a press release at -

https://newsroom.auspost.com.au/article/australia-post-to-release-stamps-for-disaster-relief.

The booklet is similar to last year's Drought Relief issue where Australia Post will donate $2 per booklet sold.

The release date is apparently 18 February 2020, but it appears post offices are receiving their stocks now, and may be selling early.

Its interesting that these seem to be a general issue raising money for fire, floods and other natural disasters, rather than any specific event. Given these are dated too, perhaps Australia Post is thinking of releasing a similar issue on an annual basis?

Also, this is the first time a general issue has made use of the Australia shaped die-cutting introduced with the MyStamps range.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Australia Post to Release Disaster Charity Stamps (18 Fe

Post by Allanswood »

Australia Post Disaster Relief 2020 Stamp Booklet
100,000 only.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Here is the ebay link: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2020-Australia-disaster-relief-s ... 3485163517

Buy It Now $11.00; 8 available.

It looks like this was listed on 13 Feb 2020:

The following revisions have been made:
Date Time Revised Information
13-Feb-20 14:27:28 AEDST
Description
Quantity
Postage Terms

13-Feb-20 15:44:57 AEDST
Description
Quantity

The Australia Post press release is also dated 13 Feb. Of interest, one variant of this press release, evidently sent out by Australia Post, was posted on the web on 12 Feb 2020:

https://www.companynewshq.com/company-news/parcels-company-n ... er-relief/
ChrisGray
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by ChrisGray »

Or you could just buy them for face value here at the Australia Post website.

I bought some to use on orders and outbound mail. Even after that, there's 500 available. :lol: Guessing real stock levels are far higher.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

stampchris wrote:A seller in Queensland has posted on eBay a Disaster Relief Charity Booklet from Australia Post.
Many Ebay sellers will never get awards for having high IQ, but if this genius used each of the 5 stamps on REGISTERED covers to someone, had them neat cancelled today Feb 13, kept the Registered receipts, and made those part of the auction lot, got the receiving PO to back stamp them, he'd be getting $20-$30 EACH cover or $100 a set of 5, not $11 per sheetlet of 5. :idea:

He'd have the earliest mailed covers known.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote:
stampchris wrote:A seller in Queensland has posted on eBay a Disaster Relief Charity Booklet from Australia Post.
Many Ebay sellers will never get awards for having high IQ, but if this genius used each of the 5 stamps on REGISTERED covers to someone, had them neat cancelled today Feb 13, kept the Registered receipts, and made those part of the auction lot, got the receiving PO to back stamp them, he'd be getting $20-$30 EACH cover or $100 a set of 5, not $11 per sheetlet of 5. :idea:

He'd have the earliest mailed covers known.
You are assuming "he" has taken delivery of them, not just "got them promised by his local post office, on the official release date".

Listed on 13th, with dispatch promised "within 5 days of payment".
(He will be in the post office anyway, on the 18th, to pick up his order).

"He" may just have listed off the press release, after a quick chat with his local supplier (or an order on the AP website), and be "smarter" than appears.

8 Lots is an exact amount, and double face isn't an excessive profit on a print run of only 100,000.

(Or a complete fraudster .... you never really know on eBay, until you physically receive the goods :D )

But yes, "IF" he had taken delivery, and was a sharp cookie, the Sheriffs "route to riches" is paved with gold!

(As an aside... If I ordered off the AP website, they would charge me $9 delivery, making a single booklet $14.50, versus the $14.20 charged by this vendor ..... and "one of them" probably uses real stamps !!).
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I think you'll find that "he" is an LPO and his in stock count is at least 8 booklets.

I've seen "someone", in QLD, do this before with "early" releases of limited items and posting images of Legends issues for sale before the winners are actually officially announced. Spoils the fun of guessing.

PS - it seems the release date is actually tomorrow, Feb 14th, not 18th.

Last edited by Allanswood on 13 Feb 2020 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ViccyVFU wrote: "He" may just have listed off the press release, after a quick chat with his local supplier (or an order on the AP website), and be "smarter" than appears.
You may be right of course.

And the PO Press Release might have used an out of square fuzzy amateur image - they did not - they used a superb high rez 2 MEG image off the original art, with fake perf lines drawn in -

https://www.stampboards.com/images/misci/KIi2Kw2.jpg

And the PO art department might have not only scanned it out of skew, but left a piece of someone's lunch above the "ST".

You may be right of course.

But I stick to my guns - he is typically ebay clueless - and is scanning sheets he owns, and WHAT sort of idiot pays double face for something their PO will have in days?

He'll be using some of his 8 sheets on mail next week. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

I actually applaud AP for doing this .... Every Australian should be buying their book of discount postage (at 64% of face, plus the trivial donation).

What better way to stock up on routine postage, whilst creating "a very positive image for Australia, your business, and you personally"?

From AP's perspective, its good PR, but they only net 44% of FV for the stamps. (If they didn't restrict it to 100,000 packs, losses would start mounting).

Where did the drought stamps end up? There was intense interest in them last year, but are they "discount postage" today? (If you plotted them on a graph, I suspect the trajectory would look very much like an outline of this die-cut. :D ).

"Get them, but use them" .... that's where the riches (probably) lie at the end of the rainbow.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

The vendor concerned. I had occasional interaction. I see he has moved from Frenches Forest NSW.

Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:I think you'll find that "he" is an LPO
Nah. Collector for sure.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/audrasforest1/m.html?item=303485 ... 6732.m1684
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote: You may be right of course.

But I stick to my guns - he is typically ebay clueless - and is scanning sheets he owns, and WHAT sort of idiot pays double face for something their PO will have in days?
He might be an LPO, picturing his actual stock "he's not allowed to sell until 18th" ..... hence the "5 day after cleared payment note" on dispatch.

And its "cheaper for me to buy a single booklet from him, than AP".... feedback indicates a sound vendor.

I'm not saying it to aggravate...
This could "just be an LPO, wanting to sell his stock and make a couple of $ along the way".

Think of it as "their international outlet" :D

One thing is certain ... we saw it first via his listing.
AP - Where were you?
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

It's been on the AP website most of the day and there was a press release. That's how I got the huge format jpg of the images.

Hopefully... not holding my breath, it might make the morning TV news and there may be an instore poster to advertise the issue.

ImageImageImage
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Australia Post to Release Disaster Charity Stamps: 18 Fe

Post by gavin-h »

If anyone on Stampboards was offering these at a reasonable markup (or better with an additional donation to Glen's appeal) either as stamps or on cover with first day commercial postmarks (or a combo of both), I'm sure many of us in other countries would be interested. :idea:

I certainly would. :mrgreen:
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Don't know if 100,000 is a lot for Australia but is the number restricted to
a) keep their losses (and donation) to a fixed amount or
b) to make them more desirable to collectors and be likely to be "snapped up"?

Don't know about the finances of Australia Post (dire?) but if they genuinely wanted to make a decent contribution surely they should make these effectively unlimited in supply (for a period)?
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

If it follows the same process as last years, then it's likely that AP has already made the 200k donation regardless of sales.

This is a (so far) unique format of stamp as the die cutter had to be specially configured for just that shape.

I'd like to think that with a bit more marketing input they could have made one that said "thank you" and then all the schools (as a craft/research/etc project), could have made cards or letters and posted them off to every RFS, CFA, etc station around the country. :idea: :wink:

And they could drop a few booklets off to all the fire stations as well - everyone has office personnel and paperwork.

I'll be stocking up on whatever my local PO has tomorrow morning.

(Wonder what they'll do for the traditional bonus inclusion in the annual album? Will we see out first Australian shaped gummed and perforated stamps?)
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Greg, the die cutting is not new. It was used on the MyStamps sheets of twenty and then on the sheets of nine issued in the pack.

Australia Post has worked closely with Cartor Security Printing in France in recent years, and they can produce gummed stamps with any type of perforations, do anything is possible for the yearbook.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

It seems to me they should have been specific to the Bushfires.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Actually, I think they have done the right thing as some places have flooding at the moment.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

stampchris wrote:Greg, the die cutting is not new. It was used on the MyStamps sheets of twenty and then on the sheets of nine issued in the pack.

Australia Post has worked closely with Cartor Security Printing in France in recent years, and they can produce gummed stamps with any type of perforations, do anything is possible for the yearbook.

I didn't say it was "new".
There is no format in the new personalised stamps that gives you 5 Australian shaped stamps on their own - the sheetlet is one of each and single designs are sheets of 20.

I said the die would have to be reconfigured, meaning, just for this booklet.

.-

And now having been to my local PO I can advise that the booklets have been sent not individually but as chequebooks of 20 booklets to a folder.

I just bought the whole chequebook of 20 booklets.

There is no barcode on the cover though, so the clerk had to scan a booklet and tell the register that it was x 20.

If you wanted just 1 booklet, they had to tear it out of the folder.

.-

At least there is a poster on the wall advertising the booklet. Not that it stands out from the crowd, it just another poster along a backwall of posters of similar sales items and design/colour. It should have been "glowing in the dark" to advertise this special stamp!

Australia Post Disaster Relief - Chequebook of 20 Cover

Disaster Relief FDC from Goulburn
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Apologies Greg. I agree the format would be new.

I would think that Australia Post created a new die for these booklets, which are no doubt produced in the same way as those used on the MyStamps sheets and the pack stamps.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well done on getting the FDC Greg. :mrgreen:

If your PO (or any others) will create you another set or two I reckon offering a set of 5 as a Bushire Auction would get bids of around $50 if cancel was showing today's date. :)

As no FDC sets will be in any standing order accounts, they will be KEENLY sought after! Globally.

Can I bother you please to send me a decent scan of one outer cover like this - will add this to Stamp News piece being typed now-
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

In my haste to get to work, and after begging the clerk to actually cancel the covers and give them back, I didn't realise that she had missed most of the crucial bit (the date) on the covers. The CDS is slightly damaged and didn't hit the paper cleanly.

I made 3 sets and 2 large A4 envelopes with all 5 as a set on each.

For some reason there was a discussion about how the CDS would confuse the sorting machines.

Anyway, my other PO in Canberra (near to work) kindly backstamped all the covers with his CDS clearly showing today's date. Hopefully that's enough to verify they are dated today.

.-

Why is the envelope clear of address I hear the gears grinding?...

I'm going to use the image off the outer cover of the chequebook (Tree), as a cachet and laser it onto each envelope. But I'm going to play a little with the design as I'd like a Koala somewhere in there.

When I get home I'll do a large scan of the chequebook cover and the booklet cover and send them. :D
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

There was mention of these with a picture in the Herald Sun on 13th Feb 2020, obviously meaning they received the Australia Post press release and image the day before. Whether they means the first day on sale at a P.O. is the 13th is anyone's guess. Obviously the whole issue was pulled together at the last minute.

Agree "Qld" man audrasforest1 should have done a few Registered covers on the day! :roll:

I'll post an image of this soon.
Last edited by MJ's pet on 14 Feb 2020 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

ChrisGray wrote:Or you could just buy them for face value here at the Australia Post website.

I bought some to use on orders and outbound mail. Even after that, there's 500 available. :lol: Guessing real stock levels are far higher.
Chris Gray - the point of posting the ebay link was to ID the earliest date these stamps were on sale from a P.O., which looked like the 13th.
Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Waffle »

They are already here. Went to,the local PO today Was told would not be here for 4 days. Suggested they check their Page on the internet. Suddenly they found 5 books of 20 sheets. Puffin and I got 3 sheets. He was unaware that he had them, even though he had them in his hand.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Waffle wrote:Suddenly they found 5 books of 20 sheets. Puffin and I got 3 sheets.
Which does beg the question:
Are they limited to 100,000 "chequebooks" (of 20 sheets, of 5 stamps) = 10,000,000 stamps,
or 100,000 single sheet booklets (i.e. just 5,000 chequebooks, of 20 sheets, of 5 stamps). = 500,000 stamps?

I think demand could support the larger number, and maybe even become an annual "charity issue".
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

100,000 booklets sounds right and matches the press release. So 500,000 stamps only.

No way in the world they will have printed 10,000,000 stamps. :shock:

I had to convince the girls on the counter that I wanted the whole chequebook more than once "no, I want the whole book of 20 booklets!" It's only 100 stamps. They are so used to people just wanting 1 or 2 stamps.

But they still have the glorious for the hobby habit of having lots of single current/recent gummed issues on the counter in little tubs ready to go!

I miss my friend who was the previous postmaster, he retired a couple of years ago. :(
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Asked my PM today if I could buy some.

"What Disaster stamps?"

Did not have a clue they existed.

No posters, no stock.

Said if little old ladies asked for a booklet of 10 stamps, offer them 2 sheets of 5 of these, and tell them $4 is going to Disaster Charity, and your clients will be delighted to assist. Sounded too hard I think.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Allanswood wrote:100,000 booklets sounds right and matches the press release. So 500,000 stamps only.
Thanks Greg,

I did look back at the Press Release, but it still seemed "curious to me", that with 4,500 branches to stock, and a central fulfilment website, "just 5,000" chequebooks would be enough.

Especially bearing in mind the LPO in Caloundra had snaffled 5 for stock (Although I appreciate the Golddigger coast is well heeled!).

(But I guess if only 5% of the branches "stock, and sell them", it all adds up). :D
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

You would most likely find with issues like these that supplies would be sent to post shops only and not to LPOs.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I'll try and get a photo of the poster on the wall - hold you breath. I'll have to ask and not look like I'm planning a raid. Might even try for the used poster when it's finished.

And I'll try and find out how many booklets my PO got, as it's a large PO and busy - don't hold your breath though.

I can picture that many smaller offices and likely near all LPO's probably got none.

But my PO knew all about them (and said poster on the wall) and the counter I went to (there are 5 or 6) had the chequebook of booklets sitting there in the "use these first" pile beside the scales right in front of me.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Mentioned on AusPost's twitter feed within the last 36 hours.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

"Australia Post has just announced a special disaster relief stamp pack, to be released next Tuesday."

Herald Sun, Thursday 13 February 2020 page 3
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

"Released next Tuesday" - they are well and truly issued, you dopes! :lol:

More appearing on ebay -

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p249933 ... sacat=3468
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

A work in progress, nothing printed yet, just have the cancelled stamps on cover. The back of the envelope has been back stamped (cancelled) at another PO with the date clearly showing as the Goulburn one turned out to be damaged and the 14th difficult to read.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Global Administrator wrote:"Released next Tuesday" - they are well and truly issued, you dopes! :lol:
It seems fairly plain that the official issue date was to be Tue 18th Feb, only to be pulled forward to Thur 14th Feb at the last minute.

The Australia Post press release linked by stampchris, the first mention of these stamps, referred to the issue date as 18th Feb.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Can anyone find them on the AP website to buy mail order? Add Link if you can locate them thanks. :)
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Backstamp of my FDI covers cleanly done at Mitchell ACT PO :D

Glen reminded me that as I have posted the images on the forum on the day I had them done, there is more proof of the date they were cancelled.
john6625

Post by john6625 »

MJ's pet wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:"Released next Tuesday" - they are well and truly issued, you dopes! :lol:
It seems fairly plain that the official issue date was to be Tue 18th Feb, only to be pulled forward to Thur 14th Feb at the last minute.

The Australia Post press release linked by stampchris, the first mention of these stamps, referred to the issue date as 18th Feb.
As stated by Chris in the opening post the official date of release is the 18th Feb. Like all new issues most post offices will sell them early if they have them either due to ignorance or misunderstanding.

So IMO FDC should be dated on the 18th and all others will come under ERD (earliest recorded date). I think the earliest could possibly be the 13th Feb at least here in my region as I know of one post office that had stock delivered on that day.

I picked up some yesterday and sent them registered to myself. Hopefully they arrive on the 18th so I can get a backstamp on the official FDI.

Edit - Well what I just posted is all waffle now according to the link that was just posted. It states that the issue date is 14th Feb so FDI is now that date.

Glad I did the covers now. Below is a copy and past from the above link.

The Australia Post Disaster Relief stamps are helping support communities affected by disaster. The booklet contains 5 x $1.10 stamps and for every Disaster Relief stamp booklet sold, we’ll donate $2.

All donations go to the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund (ABN 50 169 561 394)*.

*Available from 14th February 2020 at participating Post Offices while stocks last.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Thanks, Greg ... yes Philatelic clearly says February 14 is official issue date.
Too bad for anyone planning to buy them February 18 that various other parts of the AP octopus claim is the actual issue date.

I just did a dummy order for 200 sheets and it worked, so plenty of stock -- right now!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Greg is kindly donating a set of 5 - all attractively cacheted as shown here, and all back stamped Feb 14 as well, at a different PO, for 100% verification. AND he includes a copy of his PO receipt for them of Feb 14 date.

The fact he posted images here the day he had them serviced, is PROOF they were done Feb 14. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will some eBay spiv create some backdated plain white envelopes "FDC's" next week, or next month, via Snake Gully North LPO that his sister owns - of course.

They will remain just that - greedy opportunistic total fabrications. No serious FDC collector will touch such seedy landfill.

There are a dozen FDC recorded on the 1d Red Roo - Cat $15,000 EACH.

A verified set of these on FDC will be numerically SCARCER you can bet. Think about it.

I hope we see bids of a few $100 for Greg's generous donation. EVERY cent goes to the Bushfire Appeal. :idea:

He will list it up this afternoon hopefully!

Glen
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I hope my printer doesn't jam! Otherwise they'll look like crash mail!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Hey, don't knock Crash Mail - I just listed this up at $150! :lol: :lol: :lol:
1968 London-Australia BOAC nicely charred *CRASH cover*: Addressed to North Bexley NSW. Water damaged from fire hoses, with ink runs on fountain pen writing, and rather badly charred as can be seen. Both EXACTLY what Crash Mail collectors want!

AAMC 1622a, “From $200” the BOAC G-ARWE, Captain C. Taylor, crashed on take-off at Heathrow, and 5 were killed, and 38 injured. Airletter has a superb machine cancel of the day before as can be seen, 7 April 1968. (Stock 783LQ)
Penguin644
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Penguin644 »

Stamp Bulletin 364 still reckons 18 Feb is the issue date :shock:

https://australiapostcollectables.com.au/content/dam/auspost ... in-364.pdf
Penguin644

Post by Penguin644 »

And a flood of more MyStamps on the way reading through it.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Penguin644 wrote:Stamp Bulletin 364 still reckons 18 Feb is the issue date :shock:

https://australiapostcollectables.com.au/content/dam/auspost ... in-364.pdf
Well spotted.

Also is NOT part of standing orders (oddly) so even MINT sheets 5 will be needed down the track by many. :idea: :idea:
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Penguin644 wrote:Stamp Bulletin 364 still reckons 18 Feb is the issue date :shock:
Yes. Well spotted. This all but confirms that 18 Feb was the intended official day of issue only for it to be pulled forward to 14 Feb at the last minute.

While Stamp Bulletin 364 is notionally dated "March-April", the hard copies would have been at the printer weeks ago.
warm

Post by warm »

Mine were in my PO on 13 Feb 2020
image will follow

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”