Have any stamp shows been cancelled due to the Corona Virus?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Have any stamp shows been cancelled due to the Corona Virus?

Post by Brit-Col »

Given that:

1. Increasing numbers of locales are temporarily banning gatherings of more than 250 people,

2. Even small local shows can attract that many or more people (though maybe not all at the same time),

3. Covid-19 is particularly dangerous for elderly people, and attendees (and dealers) at stamp shows are majority elderly,

Have any stamp shows thus far been cancelled?

What other affects of the pandemic might there be on our hobby?

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Any stamp shows cancelled due to corona virus?

Post by Global Administrator »

In Italy there will have been I feel sure - I think all gatherings of 20 or more people in the North are now banned etc.

There is a big National show here in Canberra this weekend I think. Not sure if they are checking for an EU Passports at the gate. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Are any stamp shows cancelled due to corona virus?

Post by Stewie1980 »

A big show in the Netherlands next week is cancelled, Hertogpost 2020.
thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by thecloudwatcher »

The TEFAF Maastricht Art Fair closed 4 days earlier than scheduled, and I wouldn't be surprised if the NZ2020 stamp show in Auckland gets cancelled as well.
leamphil
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by leamphil »

When will a decision about London 2020 be made ?
norvic

Post by norvic »

Milan has been cancelled, London 2020 is running - see comments on its own thread - subject to advice from Public Health England.

Our local club fair, which I haven't yet advertised here but which is in the major stamp magazines, is likely to be cancelled due to the demographic of members, attendees, dealers and most especially our 'at-risk-group' caterer, who is unable to attend. And we make most of the money on the catering (free admission, free parking).
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

thecloudwatcher wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the NZ2020 stamp show in Auckland gets cancelled as well.
Correct.

The show next weekend will be affected by expected draconian NZ foreign travel restrictions to be announced tomorrow - probably mimicking Dump's all Europe visitors ban.

A lot of Europe dealers were booked.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/12023380 ... ons-for-nz
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

norvic wrote:Our local club fair, which I haven't yet advertised here but which is in the major stamp magazines, is likely to be cancelled due to the demographic of members, attendees, dealers and most especially our 'at-risk-group' caterer, who is unable to attend. And we make most of the money on the catering (free admission, free parking).
I don't know about your local events, but some of the characters that attend ones I've been to round here have, shall we say, questionable standards of personal hygiene at the best of times. :shock:

I doubt that corona virus would stand a chance against them. :wink:

I'm probably the least paranoid person in the world about bugs and viruses, but I ALWAYS wash my hands on LEAVING a stamp fair. :mrgreen:
norvic

Post by norvic »

Me too; and before eating whilst there.

Apart from anything else, handling all that postal history, and postcards, loose, not in sleeves - paper dust all over clothes (if one is able to sit), dust in nasal passages (bless you!), etc.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
librarianc
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by librarianc »

I have just finished asking the organizers of the next two local/regional shows I'm booked in for.........and now I see this thread. :roll:

My concern, as posted above, is that the clientele of our shows is right in the sweet spot of risk, so I thought the question needed to be asked. I am certainly prepared to attend if it is not cancelled.

I did the circuit of retailer in our small community (maybe 15 retail outlets) and none have any hand sanitizer in stock and this weeks order was not filled. Most staff just laughed at me...out loud. :shock:

Plan B was buying a box of nitrile gloves to take to the show.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

Post by 22028 »

In Holland, Hertogbosch 2020 has been cancelled...
https://hertogpost-event.nl/corona-virus

HERTOGPOST 2020 also affected by Coronavirus!

It was inevitable. Hertogpost2020 has been canceled on March 19-21, despite all the preparations. All this in response to the press conference given by the Brabant Noord Safety Region and the instructions from RIVM.

We have examined all the interests of visitors, collectors, organizations, traders and volunteers and we have considered deciding to move this stamp event to another date this year in the Brabanthallen in 's-Hertogenbosch.

Everything was already in the starting blocks, the scripts and programs were complete. This has a major impact for us as an organization and the volunteers. People have been preparing for it for months. However, we do not want to risk anyone being infected with this virus during our event.

We assume that those who have reserved a stand and collectors who have registered for the exhibition and / or Palmares evening will also participate next time. Unfortunately, it is not possible to refund the transferred rent for the stand material and the registration fee of the exhibition and / or Palmares evening for the upcoming new HERTOGPOST 2020.

We ask you to understand this.

We regret that we had to make this decision, but consider the health of all our volunteers, visitors, dealers, collectors and exhibitors much more important.
Collecting Interests: Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa 1923-1948 and its forerunners, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carriers.
Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

22028 wrote:In Holland, Hertogbosch 2020 has been cancelled...
In the Netherlands, Hertogpost 2020 has been cancelled...

;)

Post by 22028 »

Stewie1980 wrote:
22028 wrote:In Holland, Hertogbosch 2020 has been cancelled...
In the Netherlands, Hertogpost 2020 has been cancelled...

;)
For us Germans its just Holland, same as for Spaniards, its called "Holanda" (Países Bajos)... , but i am aware of the special circumstances in "The Netherlands"... ;-)
Collecting Interests: Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa 1923-1948 and its forerunners, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carriers.
Greaden
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Greaden »

Two New Jersey shows were canceled.
GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

The committee of the Launceston (Tasmania) Philatelic Society has just cancelled its' half-yearly stamp and coin market due to be held next Saturday, 21st March 2020.

All members will be emailed shortly.

Cheers, Gordon
kidstamper
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by kidstamper »

The American Philatelic society's event calendar has eight shows listed for the upcoming weekend. I looked and three of them are cancelled and three of them don't even have a website.

Norpex 2020, Fresno stamp show and Westfield stamp show are all cancelled due to coronavirus.

Additionally I saw on Facebook that the North Toronto Stamp club has cancelled all their meetings as well as their bourse until further notice.

https://stamps.org/events/events-calendar
https://norwalkstampclub.com/
https://www.frespex.com/fresno-stamp-show/
http://www.westfieldstampclub.org/
https://www.facebook.com/NorthTorontoStampClub/?ref=py_c
Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

I just received a phone call that the Texas Stamp Dealers Association show scheduled for today and tomorrow (March 13 & 14) in Richardson (Dallas) has been cancelled.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

Post by 22028 »

The International Stamps Fair in Essen, Germany, scheduled for 14.-16. May 2020 has been cancelled as well...

Post by 22028 »

I just received the mail that the ASDA Midwest Postage Stamp Show (20-22 March) has been cancelled as well..
Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

22028 wrote:The International Stamps Fair in Essen, Germany, scheduled for 14.-16. May 2020 has been cancelled as well...
https://www.briefmarkenmesse-essen.de/_messe/en/stamp-fair-in-essen-cancelled/

My favourite trip of the year... :(
steevh

Post by steevh »

I think its a safe bet that just about everything is going to get cancelled.

Even in UK, where our dear leader is in denial of reality.

Post by 22028 »

steevh wrote:I think its a safe bet that just about everything is going to get cancelled.

Well, his Buddy just decleared state of emergency...
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

22028 wrote:I just received the mail that the ASDA Midwest Postage Stamp Show (20-22 March) has been cancelled as well..
Yes got that email too.
I suspect NZ2020 next weekend might be cancelled too sadly - A huge FIP event.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says there will be new border restrictions for New Zealand in light of the escalating Covid-19 pandemic.

The Government is also looking at what measures need to be put in place to prevent the spread of coronavirus to Pacific nations.

The travel restrictions will be hashed out over the weekend and decisions are likely in the next 48 hours.

There are still no new confirmed cases of Covid-19, with the number in New Zealand confirmed at five with two more probable cases.

Speaking to media this afternoon, Ardern did not rule out a ban on travellers coming in from Europe - as President Donald Trump announced for travellers into the US yesterday.

She also did not rule out restrictions for people coming from the US where the outbreak has also been escalated with more than 1000 infected and 41 deaths.

"We have to be concerned where we've seen outbreaks in any part of the globe."

Current travel restrictions in New Zealand include a ban on foreigners coming to New Zealand from China and Iran.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12316342

Post by 22028 »

Global Administrator wrote:
22028 wrote:I just received the mail that the ASDA Midwest Postage Stamp Show (20-22 March) has been cancelled as well..
Yes got that email too.

Just waiting for London 2020...
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

22028 wrote:
Yes got that email too.

Just waiting for London 2020...
Yes no-one knows for sure - all PTS member got this email today -
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Have any stamp shows been cancelled due to the Corona Vi

NZ2020 will update the very fluid situation here - as the show starts in under a week -

https://nz2020.nz/covid-19-coronavirus/
Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

American Philatelic Society sent the following to members:

A Brief Update - COVID-19

Dear APS Member:

We know you've received updates about COVID-19 from many sources, but we wanted to touch on a few items of interest to stamp collectors.

Please Be Cautious
Many of our members are among the most vulnerable to infection and the effects of COVID-19. Please remember to follow the excellent advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to protect yourself and others:
• Clean your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Keep updated on community news and avoid large groups of people.
• Stay home if you’re sick.
• Cover coughs and sneezes, but not with your hands.
You can get more information about prevention here.

Stamp Shows
We are getting notifications of stamp shows that have been delayed or canceled to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may see show promotions listed as ongoing in the latest issue of The American Philatelist, so please consult our website for the latest information on shows. The show calendar is located here. You can also find a full, updated list of canceled shows here. http://aps.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT05MTk3NzcyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMzI ... index.html

For show organizers, if you have updated information to share, please contact Ken Martin and Morgan Stinson.

Great American Stamp Show
In light of the current challenges with COVID-19, the American Philatelic Society is monitoring developments through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Connecticut Department of Health for the Great American Stamp Show. Very few public events held more than 60 days out have been postponed or canceled. Presently, the APS continues to plan with our partners from the American Topical Association and the American First Day Cover Society to proceed with the Great American Stamp Show, the nation's largest U.S. philatelic event each year. The show will be on August 20-23 in Hartford, CT. We will continue to provide updates over the weeks and months ahead.

Keep Working on Collecting
Even if you’re not able to travel to a stamp club meeting or stamp show, there are some great ways to buy and sell stamps. If you find yourself confined at home, this is an opportunity to work on that accumulation of stamps you've been meaning to put in your albums. Stay positive!

Support APS Dealers Online: We have many great dealers who sell stamps online. Please visit our Dealer Directory to find websites, or check out the latest issue of The American Philatelist to find our valued dealers.

Visit the APS StampStore: For 20 years, we have provided an online platform for APS members to sell stamps. There are great deals posted daily during the week. Please visit StampStore today.

Stay Connected with Philatelic Friends: As many stamp clubs are temporarily suspending stamp club meetings, please remember to stay connected through other ways. An email, phone call, or even Skype or another video messaging service can keep you connected. It can also be a boost to your friends to hear from you.

Research through our Digital Library: Over the past year, the American Philatelic Research Library has been adding back issues of The American Philatelist, Philatelic Literature Review, and other great journals for our members. You can check out the Digital Library here.

Stamp Learning: We also provide online collecting courses through Collecting and Connecting Central (C3a). Today, there are over 80 courses available to APS members, and we will continue working on additional courses in the months ahead. Visit C3a today.

Exploring Stamps: Fellow APS member, Graham Beck, produces regular videos on a variety of stamp collecting topics. The APS is a proud sponsor and supporter of this excellent video series aimed at collectors of all ages. Join the thousands who’ve already subscribed and check out Exploring Stamps today.

We're here to serve you and the hobby at large. We're hopeful that aggressive steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 will create only temporary disruptions to your collecting traditions. However, if there are other ways we can support you, your local club, or the hobby at large, please contact us. Thank you for your support of the APS and all you do for the hobby!
librarianc

Post by librarianc »

Regional shows all around us are being cancelled.

Waiting for April show info now.

John A
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Stewie1980 wrote:
22028 wrote:The International Stamps Fair in Essen, Germany, scheduled for 14.-16. May 2020 has been cancelled as well...
https://www.briefmarkenmesse-essen.de/_messe/en/stamp-fair-in-essen-cancelled/

My favourite trip of the year... :(
The International Stamp Fair is the oldest trade fair in the world. It has been held at Messe Essen since 1976 - initially every two years, and since 2006 annually. In Spring, over 100 dealers, auctioneers, accessory manufacturers and publishers, as well as postal administrations or their agencies, from all over the world meet here every year to offer their goods to the public, from home and abroad. An attractive supporting programme, and many free services (e.g. stamp examinations) make this event a must for stamp collectors.

Their very well done show website page is shown nearby, with “ - - CANCELLED - - “ in a bold reverse red lettered box at the base. The organiser of The International Stamp Fair in Essen, Germany, Jan Billion posted this explanation as to why that occurred, on their show website on March 13 -

“With effect from 13 March 2020, the city of Essen decreed that all major events in the city area with more than 1000 visitors, are prohibited. The order is not limited in time, but is valid until further notice. This means that there is no planning security for us in the last eight weeks before the stamp fair. After intensive discussions with the Messe Essen venue, I have looked for alternative dates. Since the decree is unlimited in time, and there is a great uncertainty as to whether major events will be allowed to take place at all in Spring, the general assessment is that postponing it by a few weeks to June will not help.

After that, the summer holidays in Europe will start. So only the second half of the year would remain, and Messe Essen can only offer me dates in August or November. In the summer and in view of the many (also postponed or cancelled) philatelic events in autumn in Germany, and neighbouring countries, and above all because of the proximity of the Sindelfingen Stamp Fair, you will agree with me that a postponement there makes no sense. For these reasons, the 30th Essen International Stamp Fair must unfortunately be cancelled.”
Jan concluded.

Can anyone tell me what his reference to the Sindelfingen Stamp Fair is?

Glen
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Not looking good for NZ2020 - at least for anyone not in the country already -

Saturday, 14 March 2020
Govt could impose further travel restrictions

News National

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will meet senior ministers today to discuss wider travel bans....

New travel restrictions due to Covid-19 could be announced today, after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern convenes a conference with a special committee of senior ministers.

Ms Ardern has signalled that tougher travel restrictions will be imposed and refused to rule out any countries, even Australia.

She said yesterday that the details of the travel bans would be hashed out over the weekend.

Following US President Donald Trump’s announcement stopping all flights from Europe to the US for 30 days, Ms Ardern has not ruled out a ban on travellers coming in from Europe.

Nor has she ruled out restrictions for the US, where the number of positive cases has risen to more than 1200, with 36 deaths.

"We have to be concerned where we’ve seen outbreaks in any part of the globe," Ms Ardern said yesterday.

There are also likely to be restrictions on travel from New Zealand to the Pacific.

This morning, Ms Ardern will chair a conference call for a special meeting of the Cabinet committee, which was set up specifically to respond to the coronavirus outbreak.

She is expected to announce further details around travel restrictions later today — though it could be pushed to tomorrow, when she will be in Christchurch for the March 15 anniversary.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced every person entering New Zealand will be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

The measure, which will force New Zealand citizens to self-isolate and comes into effect at midnight on Sunday, is the strictest in the world, according to the Prime Minister. All restrictions will be reviewed in 16 days.

"We expect for New Zealanders currently overseas this is a stressful time. We encourage any New Zealander needing consular assistance to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."

Those coming from the Pacific are excluded from this measure. They will be the only people excluded.

She said New Zealand has a responsibility to look after the Pacific Islands.

"As such, strict new border exit measures for people travelling to the Pacific will be put in place," Ardern said.

"These include: No travel for people who have travelled outside of New Zealand in the past 14-days. No travel for close or casual contacts of a confirmed case. No travel for anyone who is symptomatic, and health assessments, including temperature checks."

A directive will also be issued at midnight telling cruise ships not to enter New Zealand until at least June 30. This does not apply to cargo ships.

Ardern said the Government would work with the aviation industry, which she understands will be significantly impacted. An economic response, which will include the business continuity package, will be revealed on Tuesday.

The enforcement of self-isolation will be stepped up, according to Ardern, through measures like spot checks.

"This is an unprecedented time. While we don't have community transmission here, now is the time to prepare. We can all play a role in that," she said.

Ardern requested everyone wash their hands, don't travel overseas if you don't need to, stay home if you are sick, sneeze into your elbow, stop handshakes, hugs and hongi. She said this was counter to who New Zealand was.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/03/prime-minist ... olate.html
David Benson
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by David Benson »

The commissioners of the New Zealand Exhibition have been informed that a meeting will be made tonight about the fate of the show. It looks like to comply with the announcement of the PM that the show has to be cancelled or postponed.

David B.
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Lots of overseas dealers wouldn't have left home yet, and several are in Canberra now.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

David Benson wrote:The commissioners of the New Zealand Exhibition have been informed that a meeting will be made tonight about the fate of the show. It looks like to comply with the announcement of the PM that the show has to be cancelled or postponed.

David B.
Very sad, but seems inevitable with this madness going on now - an official memorial to the Christchurch mosque shootings has also just been cancelled in NZ I read. And all Ozzie cricket tour is off.
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

The show website has been updated to state the show will go one, but will only be a national show (the international aspect has been cancelled).
Yes! The show goes on, but not as we envisaged.

This afternoon the New Zealand Government placed more restrictions on travel into New Zealand. From the end of Sunday 15 March all travellers coming to New Zealand MUST go into isolation for 14 days. This obviously will apply to Commissioners, Jury members and overseas dealers, as well as individual people planning to come to New Zealand for the exhibition.

The Organising Committee therefore has no choice but to cancel the international aspect of the exhibition.

This will cause substantial disruption and expense to travellers, but the matter is out of our hands. All we can do is apologise, and say we gave it our best shot. It is 30 years from the last international exhibition in New Zealand and we were really buoyed by the support we received. One day, we may start again.
As soon as you are able, please cancel or defer your travel arrangements. Your options will vary from person to person.

However, life will go on. For New Zealanders, the Organising Committee decided tonight (14 March) we will run a national exhibition instead. The entries will be those New Zealand exhibits already entered in NZ2020 and we will also have the display entries submitted and exhibits kindly provided to fill gaps left by the inability of China and Korea to enter. We estimate this will be about 500 frames, so there will be plenty to see.
[Posted 14 March 2020]
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
David Benson

Post by David Benson »

That seems a very sensible compromise seeing that the booking of the venue had been made,

David B.
norvic

Post by norvic »

steevh wrote:I think its a safe bet that just about everything is going to get cancelled.

:roll:
The PM takes advice.
BBC wrote:But the UK has adopted relatively modest control measures.

The differences can be partly explained by the fact some of these countries are further into their epidemics. But it's clear the UK has adopted a more nuanced approach.

Computer simulations indicate the UK is in the early stages of its epidemic which is expected to rise sharply in four weeks and peak in 10 and 14 weeks' time.

Sir Patrick Vallance, the UK government's chief scientific adviser, and chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty have made the judgement call that it is too soon to impose severe restrictions at this stage.

Such restrictions might last several months and risk "self-isolation fatigue", with people leaving their homes just as the epidemic was at its height. The elderly are particularly at risk of developing severe symptoms. But many of them are already isolated. Cutting them off from their communities at this stage, when the risks are still relatively low, would create unnecessary difficulties for them.

Sir Patrick and Prof Whitty have also advised against the suspension of mass gatherings. Again, their computer models indicate this would be less effective and more disruptive than the measures they have recommended: hand washing and asking people to self-isolate if they show symptoms of the disease.

These measures, if correctly implemented, could cut the peak of cases by 20%, says Sir Patrick.

"People are very much more likely to catch the virus from a family member or a friend somewhere in a small space rather than a big space [such as a sporting stadium]," he said.

It's the same with school closures. While Ireland, France and Denmark are among a host of northern European countries to shut schools, for the moment at least they remain open in the UK.

Closing schools is effective for controlling serious flu epidemics, but Covid-19 seems to affect children less. There's still a risk, though, they could transmit it to their parents and grandparents. In addition, school closures would take many much needed NHS staff away from their jobs while they look after their children.

The British strategy is to delay the onset of the peak of the disease until the summer months, when the NHS is under less pressure, and to spread the peak of the epidemic to make treatment more manageable. The aim has also been to manage the spread of the infection so that the population builds up some immunity to the virus should it return in successive years.

Efforts to stamp it out too quickly risk leading to the epidemic returning, perhaps during the [next] winter, once the extreme measures have been lifted. This would be a time when the health service was again under pressure.

It is important to stress that this strategy has been drawn up based on evidence and input from many of the world's leading scientists and doctors, many of whom have been involved in controlling the spread of the virus in China and Singapore. And it is notable that no scientists have spoken out against the UK government's approach.

There are undoubtedly some who do disagree with the strategy. But there is an acceptance by such critics that Sir Patrick and Prof Whitty are the ones in the hot seat, having to make the biggest calls they have made in their professional lives. So the science community is prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and not speak out, for now at least.
I don't like our PM; I think he is generally untrustworthy, but on this I trust the words of the health experts which he is following.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote: I don't like our PM; I think he is generally untrustworthy, but on this I trust the words of the health experts which he is following.
Boris seems to be the only PM on the planet using some common sense in this matter.

Catching it at your local shopping centre, or your bus or train ride there, is JUST as possible of course. People with existing illnesses, and the very elderly are clearly far more susceptible to all kinds of infections - far more so than young healthy people. Basic medicine and common sense.

In the USA each year about 25,000 Americans die from Influenza - 650,000 die globally. EVERY year. Covid has killed a few 1000 globally all year. In a country of 325 million, a few dozen fatalities from Covid-19 is truly tiny. 1000 times more, and we simply get to usual Flu fatality numbers. More die annually in the USA from either bee stings or lightning strikes - literally.

Just putting things into some kind of mathematical perspective, that few seem lately to do. Not all readers will agree, and that is fine, but it often seems that each country seems determined to “outscare” the previous one. Fatalities from anything is not ideal, but this is just getting silly.

Glen
PMK-GVnut
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by PMK-GVnut »

Agree with you on that Glen. Not a huge Boris fan at all, but he's been led by the science, so think he's got it right this time.
Over reaction from many of the sporting bodies not helping. All high level football games called off but they will have 7,000 at a third tier match this afternoon. Not joined up thinking at all. (Plus 70,000 at the racing yesterday).

My Granddaughter (Aged 7) pointed out a sign in our local market yesterday. 'Be virus free for £30'
Shame it was outside a Computer repair shop...…..

Our annual society dinner had to be cancelled yesterday, (Leeds Philatelic Society), due to the venue deciding to ban external bookings. We have, for the past few years, held the dinner at a local collage, where they train young chefs. We've had some amazing food, hopefully we will reschedule for later in the year.

Paul
Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Global Administrator wrote:Covid has killed a few 1000 globally all year.
All year? Three months ago most of us had never heard of Covid-19 and it didn’t exist anywhere outside of Wuhan (that we know of).

Since then it has spread to almost every country and no one has any idea how many people have it or how many will die. (Although it does appear that most who get it will survive just fine.)

In a few months we may look back and agree that all this is a massive over-reaction, and frankly I hope that it is the case.

But at the moment we simply don’t know.

To get some historical perspective look up the influenza pandemic of 1918 which killed an estimated 50 million people world wide. And back then they didn’t have thousands of flights carrying hundreds of thousands of people within and between the continents every day.

Anyway, there is another thread running on corona virus. Maybe we can keep this one focused on stamp show and similar impact.

BC
David Benson

Post by David Benson »

There must be many people checking their travel insurance fine print,

David B.
Vict0riann
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Vict0riann »

VicTopical is on this weekend. I will visit tomorrow.
Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

David Benson wrote:There must be many people checking their travel insurance fine print,

David B.
I think that insurance companies will only pay out on things like plane tickets, accommodation, etc. if the insurance was purchased prior to this becoming a known epidemic.

Even then some will just say a flat out no to payouts and hope they aren’t pushed too hard.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
starling

Post by starling »

Did the Philas Auction in Sydney go ahead yesterday with viewing and bidding on site?

Scott
Please visit my on-line store - http://www.scottstarling.com.au
-
Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Scott,

I understand from someone I spoke to at the Canberra Show that it did.

Unfortunate timing to have them both on the same weekend. Must have been some other clashes that required them to have it yesterday.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
elephantiger

Post by elephantiger »

Glen
The Sindelfingen Stamp Fair is similar in scale and participation to the Essen Stamp Fair, but takes place in October every year. Therefore a postponement of Essen to autumn would clash:

https://www.expodatabase.de/en/expos/1017--sindelfingen-germany

Cheers,
Dominic

Post by 22028 »

elephantiger wrote:

Glen
The Sindelfingen Stamp Fair is similar in scale and participation to the Essen Stamp Fair, but takes place in October every year. Therefore a postponement of Essen to autumn would clash:

https://www.expodatabase.de/en/expos/1017--sindelfingen-germany

Cheers,
Dominic
Small correction.
Sindelfingen fair is larger in scale and participants and hosts every year the "Postal History Days" where the prestigious "Golden Posthorns" are distributed to the winning participants. (I was awarded with one in 2018)...
And Ian Billion is the organisor of both shows.
librarianc

Post by librarianc »

For Southern Ontario Canada:

Stamp Shows we will be attending in 2020:

**March 14/20-Windsor Ontario - CANCELLED

** March 21/20-Woodstock Ontario - CANCELLED

** April 4/20- London Ontario - CANCELLED

John A
bcbg68
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by bcbg68 »

I happened to be passing through Munich last weekend and had hoped to attend the Munchen Philatelia show. It was held March 6-8. It was open March 6 but ordered closed late that evening.

I had not checked the website again Saturday morning, so only discovered that it was closed when I trekked out from the airport to the venue by S and U bahn and found, along with a bunch of others, the doors locked and signs posted in German: Closed by Order of Health Authority.

Disappointing but understandable. Glad I had decided to have a dealer ship a collection to me rather than trying to pick it up in person at the show. While I don’t ski, the ski slopes in the Bavarian alps were open!
Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Both stamp clubs I am a member of cancelled all meetings till the first week of april. For now...

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”