Share your Thailand related stamp items & covers here

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

BlackTuesday
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Share your Thailand related stamp items & covers here

Post by BlackTuesday »

Superb THAILAND stamp
Superb THAILAND stamp

Hello everyone! Welcome to this new thread!

I'm a very small collector of Thailand stamps.

I've always been fascinated by the stamps of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, China, Vietnam for their distinct art & culture themed issues.

There are already 3 beautiful separate threads for all things related to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, but I couldn't find one on Thailand.

When I was searching if a thread already exists, I found that there are many collectors on stampboards who are either experts or interested in Thai stamps. And there have been so many posts on different threads containing Thai stamps.

I'm opening this thread so that anyone who is interested in Thai stamps can share his items here in this thread at one place. And interested members can ask their questions and/or experts share their knowledge and information here.

Thank you in advance to all the collectors out there!

BlackTuesday

Re: Thailand Stamps & Covers - Show your Thailand and Thailand themed items here

Post by BlackTuesday »

A Brief History at first:

"Thailand", officially the "Kingdom of Thailand" and formerly known as "Siam", is a country in Southeast Asia, located at the center of the Indochinese Peninsula.

Arguably, the name Siam came from a Sanskrit word, śyāma. But there are other theories too about its origin. It was adopted by the Portuguese from the 16th century and became the accepted geographical term.

Kingdoms rose and fell, but from the 1780s the Chakri dynasty ruled the whole of Siam from their capital at Bangkok.

In 1932 there was a coup (known as "Siamese Revolution"), after which a government was set up closer to a western-style democracy, with a parliament. And a constitutional monarchy was installed, with the king at the top.

In September 1938, Phibunsongkhram took charge as Prime Minister. A forceful nationalist and modernizer, he changed the country’s name to Thailand on June 23rd, 1939.

Stamps issued until 1939 used to have the country printed as "Siam", and afterwards from 1940 as "Thai" or "Thailand".

BlackTuesday

Re: Thailand Stamps & Covers - Show your Thailand and Thailand themed items here

Post by BlackTuesday »

Here are some examples of the country name design styles of Siam and Thailand era stamps:

Please note that, stamp images are collected from the net. As they have been scanned with different resolutions, size of the stamps vary and do not comply with the actual ones.

01. Top Left: SIAM in Thai language . . . . . . . Top Right: SIAM in English language . . . . . . . Year: 1921

02. Bottom Middle: SIAM in Thai . . . . . . . English none . . . . . . . Year: 1932

03. Top Left: SIAM in English . . . . . . . Bottom Right: SIAM in Thai . . . . . . . Year: 1930

04. Bottom Middle - Upper row: SIAM in Thai . . . . . Bottom Middle - Bottom row: SIAM in English . . . . . Year: 1928

05. Top Left: THAI in Thai . . . . . . . Top Right: THAILAND in English . . . . . . . Year: 1940

06. Bottom Middle: THAI in Thai . . . . . . . English none . . . . . . . Year: 1941

07. Top Left: THAI in Thai . . . . . . . Top Right: THAI in English . . . . . . . Year: 1943

F1.jpg

08. Top Left: THAI in Thai . . . . . . . Top Right: SIAM in English . . . . . . . Year: 1948

09. Top - Upper row: THAI in Thai . . . . . . . Top - Bottom row: THAILAND in English . . . . . . . Year: 1951

10. Top Left: THAILAND in Thai . . . . . . . Top Right: THAILAND in English . . . . . . . Year: 1955

11. Top Left: THAILAND in Thai . . . . . . . Top Right: THAILAND in English . . . . . . . Year: 1968

12. Top: THAILAND in Thai . . . . . . . Bottom: THAILAND in English . . . . . . . Year: 1972

13. Bottom Left: THAILAND in Thai . . . . . . . Bottom Right: THAILAND in English . . . . . . . Year: 2005

F2.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Here is from my collection, images are scanned from cellphone.

First one is from the issue RAMA VII (First Series) "King Prajadhipok"

Issue Date: 01 April, 1928

Catalog No.: SG TH 252, 254, 255

This is a big set, other ones I do not have.

Th 01C.jpg
SG TH 252

Th 02D.jpg
SG TH 254

Th 03C.jpg
SG TH 255

King Prajadhipok (8 November 1893 – 30 May 1941) also known as Rama VII, was the seventh monarch of Siam of the Chakri dynasty. He reigned from 25 November 1925 – 2 March 1935.

He was the last absolute monarch and the first constitutional monarch of the country. His reign was a turbulent time for Siam due to political and social changes during the Revolution of 1932. He is to date the only Siamese monarch of the Chakri Dynasty to abdicate.

Th set 01B.jpg
Last edited by BlackTuesday on 02 Aug 2020 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Next one is from the issue "7th Anniversary of Constitution"

Issue Date: 24 June, 1939

Catalog No.:
SG TH 282, 283

This is a set of 5, other ones I do not have.

Th 04D.jpg
SG TH 282

Th 05B.jpg
SG TH 283

This issue is regarded a special one due to the reason that - it was the last issue of Siam before the name change of the country.

Th set 02B.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Next one is from the issue "Chakri Palace"

Issue Date: 13 May, 1940

Catalog No.: SG TH 287, 288

This is a set of 5, other ones I do not have.

Th 10G.jpg
SG TH 287

Th 11C.jpg
SG TH 288

In the stamp Chakri Palace and Garuda is shown. Garuda is a legendary bird or bird-like creature in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology. He is described as the king of birds.

Garuda is variously the vehicle mount (vahana) of the Hindu god Vishnu, a dharma-protector and Astasena in Buddhism, and the Yaksha of the Jain Tirthankara Shantinatha.

Th set 04.jpg

This issue is also a special one due to the reason that - it was the first issue of Thailand after the name change of the country.

BlackTuesday

Re: Share your Thailand related stamp items & covers here

Post by BlackTuesday »

Thank you for the updates, moderators! :)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

What I like about Thailand is, that there is widespread postal use of even higher face value Commemorative stamps.

Added this pretty 2008 EMS Courier package to stock for $A40,(Stock 783KA) that has 6 x 100B Gold King of Thailand stamps. :mrgreen:

2008 THAILAND to Aust EMS Cover with 6 x 100B King!

Wow. SIX of the very scarce huge 100 Baht King mega face value ….. a small fortune face value when local post was literally 2 Baht back then.

SIX of them VFU, on an EMS Express Courier package to Ferntree Gully Victoria.

SG 2450, Cat £10 apiece = £60 (=$A120 OFF cover!) Would there be another cover anywhere postally used with 6 of these with superb crisp cds cancels – I doubt it.

Attractive Hagner or stockbook page size. Nice cover – the gold foil scans do not scan brilliantly and some reflective ‘’flaring’’ on scanner but this gives you an idea. Pretty piece – also has a 50 Baht Elephant meter, to make up rate to correct 650 Baht. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Eli »

Congratulations for the new thread about Thai philately which I believe going to be a popular one since the popularity of Thailand stamps among collectors. I personally don't collect Thai stamps but I have several sets especially in my mythologies, monkeys and folklore collections and will try to contribute from time to time.

This postcard was issued during 1910's shows Wat Mano Phirom in Mukdahan, Thailand. In those days it was part of Laos and constructed by Lao architectures from Vientiane.

Claude Wat Mano Phirom, Mukdahan, Thailand.jpg

DRKKLP
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by DRKKLP »

1914 5+5s on 6+6s reply paid postal card - Garuda at top left of card
thailand 3.JPG
Mailed in 1914 from Bangkok Siam/Thailand to Germany (reply card still attached unused)

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Global Administrator wrote:
02 Aug 2020 15:10
What I like about Thailand is, that there is widespread postal use of even higher face value Commemorative stamps.
Thanks Global Administrator! ... yes, it is so true, even I have received cover with this 100B Gold King of Thailand stamps without even asking for it

Eli wrote:
02 Aug 2020 17:50
Congratulations for the new thread about Thai philately which I believe going to be a popular one since the popularity of Thailand stamps among collectors. I personally don't collect Thai stamps but I have several sets especially in my mythologies, monkeys and folklore collections and will try to contribute from time to time.

This postcard was issued during 1910's shows Wat Mano Phirom in Mukdahan, Thailand. In those days it was part of Laos and constructed by Lao architectures from Vientiane.
Thanks Eli, you're always an inspiration! ... Thanls for the postcard too and the interesting info about Wat Mano Phirom in Mukdahan region

DRKKLP wrote:
02 Aug 2020 18:41
1914 5+5s on 6+6s reply paid postal card - Garuda at top left of card
Mailed in 1914 from Bangkok Siam/Thailand to Germany (reply card still attached unused)
Thanks for the postal card DRKKLP! ... I'm curious about the reason of two different postmarks from Bangkok

Also to be noted, the postmarks are beautifully clear, which is wonderful! ... because, despite so many tries I've never got such a clear postmark from Bangkok ... if anyone knows which postal outlet gives best clear postmark please share it with us!

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Next one is from the issue RAMA IX (First Series) "King Bhumibol"

Issue Date: 15 November, 1947 - 01 January, 1949

Catalog No.: SG TH 313, 314, 315.

This is a set of 10, other ones I do not have.

01.jpg
SG TH 313

02.jpg
SG TH 314

03.jpg
SG TH 315

King Bhumibol Adulyadej (5 December, 1927 - 13 October, 2016), was the ninth monarch of Thailand from the Chakri dynasty, titled as Rama IX.

Reigning since 9 June 1946, until his death in 2016, he is both the second-longest reigning monarch of all time and the longest-reigning monarch to have reigned only as an adult, reigning for 70 years and 126 days. During his reign, he was served by a total of 30 prime ministers.

king-ananda-mahidol-6.jpg
King Ananda Mahidol and Bhumibol Adulyadej in 1946.

Bhumibol ascended the throne at such an young age, because of the untimely death of his 2 years elder brother the then King Rama VIII, under circumstances that still today remain unclear.

On 9 June, 1946, King Ananda Mahidol was found dead from a gunshot between the eyes from a .45 Colt in his bedroom in Bankgok’s Grand Palace. Only four days after he was scheduled to return to Switzerland to finish his doctoral degree in law at the University of Lausanne.

Many theories arose. But the tragedy remained "the mysterious death", as who pulled the trigger has never been satisfactorily established.

Set 03.jpg

This issue has something curious, which demands some explanation. Because, the name of the country was changed from Siam to Thailand on June 23rd, 1939. And from 1940 each issue had been maintaining the name "Thai" or "Thailand" printed on the stamps.

But, this issue after a 7 years gap used "THAI" written in Thai language on top left side, and "SIAM" written in English on top right side. Why this sudden use of Siam I do not know. Anyone with some information please share with us!

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”