Sharing my early Maldive Islands philately (pre-1970)

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

castores
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Sharing my early Maldive Islands philately (pre-1970)

Post by castores »

This was around the time the Howard government were trying to cheat, sorry negotiate, them out of fishing rights for the area in return for settling the entire population in Australia.
Thank you MarkM, I wasn't aware of this - Onya Howie :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Somewhere I have an image from a newspaper (India?) with John Howard and ? at the Olympics.
The caption reads ? pictured with an Australian politician :lol: :lol: :lol: No name, just "Australian politician" :lol: :lol: :lol: He was the PM at the time :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was the best ever :D
I must try to find it.
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RogerE »

Thanks to castores and MarkM for latest posts about contemporary Maldives — tsunami devastation, immanent threats of submersion, and political concerns. Not just a country in your stamp album, but a real country, with real people and real concerns.

Mohamed Nasheed

As usual, Wikipedia is an excellent source of information.
Here I share some extracts from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Nasheed

Mohamed Nasheed, as he appears above water:
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 11.42.16 am.png
Wikipedia wrote:Mohamed Nasheed GCSK (Dhivehi: މުހައްމަދު ނަޝީދު; born 17 May 1967) is a Maldivian politician, Speaker of the People's Majlis since May 2019 and formerly the fourth President of the Maldives from 2008 to 2012. He is the first democratically elected president of the Maldives and is also one of the founders of the Maldivian Democratic Party. In the first round of the 2008 presidential election, he won 25% of the votes and was later assigned as the candidate of the first opposition coalition defeating President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, who had governed the Maldives as president for 30 continuous years. Nasheed assumed office on 11 November 2008. Nasheed later worked with Maumoon Abdul Gayoom to defeat President Yameen in the 2018 presidential election.
The Wikipedia article adds a great deal more information. It includes the following:

Shocking recent news (May 2021)
Wikipedia wrote: On 6 May 2021, an assassination attempt was made against Nasheed near his home while he was getting into his car. He sustained serious injuries and barely survived after an IED [= improvised explosive device] bomb that was stuffed with bearing balls as shrapnel was detonated near his home. He is recovering in the intensive care unit, after undergoing multiple emergency surgeries. Maldives authorities allege it to be a terrorist attack by religious "extremists". Three suspects have been arrested. Australian Federal Police officers are assisting with the investigation.
/RogerE

Footnote: The same Wikipedia article includes information about the climate change policy actions of Mohamed Nasheed following his Nov 2008 election as President:
Wikipedia wrote: With regard to the threat posed to the very low-lying islands by changes in sea level caused by global warming, in March 2009 Nasheed pledged to set an example by making the Maldives carbon-neutral within a decade by moving to wind and solar power. He argued that the cost of the change would be no higher than what the Maldives already spends on energy. As part of a wider campaign by international environmental NGO 350.org's campaign publicising the threats of climate change and its effects on the Maldives, Nasheed presided over the world's first underwater cabinet meeting on 17 October 2009, off the island of Girifushi with the meeting participants underwater in scuba diving gear. The following month, Nasheed founded the Climate Vulnerable Forum, an association of countries affected disproportionately by climate change.
Last edited by RogerE on 19 Jun 2021 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

castores

Post by castores »

Mohamed Nasheed

Wow, he's been through a bit :shock:

Thank you RogerE for the Wiki page, quite a read!
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: 1956 cover to India

Here is a cover from Malé to Morvi in India's Saurashtra region:

Maldives cover to Morvi, Saurashtra region, India, datestamped 11 Dec 1956.<br />Franked with 10¢ Minaret (SG16) and 15¢ Palm and Dhow (SG26)
Maldives cover to Morvi, Saurashtra region, India, datestamped 11 Dec 1956.
Franked with 10¢ Minaret (SG16) and 15¢ Palm and Dhow (SG26)

I will show some more covers from this period, sent from Malé to Morvi, so let's look at Morvi more closely.

Morvi, in Saurashtra district, Gujarat state, India
Saurashtra district, in Gujarat State, northwest India
Saurashtra district, in Gujarat State, northwest India
ગુજરાતGujarat
Gujarat is a state on the western coast of India with a coastline of 1,600 km – most of which lies on the Kathiawar peninsula – and a population of 60.4 million. It is the fifth-largest Indian state by area and the ninth-largest state by population.
Morvi, in Saurashtra district
Morvi, in Saurashtra district
સૌરાષ્ટ્રSaurashtra
Wikipedia wrote:After India's independence in 1947, some 217 princely states of Kathiawar, including the former Junagadh State, were merged to form the state of Saurashtra on 15 February 1948. Initially, it was named United State of Kathiawar, which was renamed to Saurashtra State in November 1948. The exercise took up a lot of Shri Vallabhbhai Patel's time to convince the local princes and petty subas (totalling 222 in Saurashtra alone). However, Maharaja Krishnakumar Sinhji of Bhavnagar State readily extended to offer his large and royal empire of Bhavnagar / Gohilwar to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, and Bhavnagar became the first in the country to be merged into the union of India.

The capital of Saurashtra was Rajkot. Uchharangray Navalshankar Dhebar, who later went on to become President of the Indian National Congress between 1955 and 1959, became Saurashtra's first Chief Minister. He was succeeded by Rasiklal Umedchand Parikh on 19 December 1954.

On 1 November 1956, Saurashtra was merged into Bombay state. In 1960 Bombay state was divided along linguistic lines into the new states of Gujarat and Maharashtra. The territory of Saurashtra, including Junagadh and all of Sorath, became part of the state of Gujarat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saurashtra_(region)
Mani Mandir = Wagh Mahal, Morvi <br />Photo source: Pinterest
Mani Mandir = Wagh Mahal, Morvi
Photo source: Pinterest
મોરબી Morvi = Morbi
Morbi Morvi, also spelled Morbi, city, central Gujarat state, west-central India. It lies in the lowlands of the Kathiawar Peninsula, south of the Little Rann of Kachchh (Kutch).

The city, formerly the capital of the princely state of Morvi, is now a trade centre for agricultural produce. Industries include cotton processing, pottery making, and clock and roof-tile manufacturing. Morvi is also a rail and road junction. Pop. (2001) 145,719; (2011) 194,947.
https://www.britannica.com/place/Morvi
/RogerE :D

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: another cover to India

As anticipated, here is another cover from Malé to Morvi in India's Saurashtra region.
The date is unclear, and the Morvi slogan arrival cancel somewhat obliterates the Malé circular datestamp.
That said, I think the year date might be 1950.

Maldives to Morvi, Saurashtra region, India.<br />Cover franked  with 10¢ and 25¢ minaret issues of 1933 (SG 16, 18); cds date 1950(?)
Maldives to Morvi, Saurashtra region, India.
Cover franked with 10¢ and 25¢ minaret issues of 1933 (SG 16, 18); cds date 1950(?)

As the previous post shows, Morvi = Morbi (in the Saurashtra region of Gujarat) is very far from the Maldives.
It is a densely populated business district, 700km northwest of Bombay [= Mumbai]. The cover is addressed to journey via Bombay. Evidently the main commercial route connecting the Maldives to India was out of Bombay.

It appears likely the cover contained business correspondence, involving family business interests in Malé and Morvi. The addressee and sender share the family name Bhaijibhai: the addressee is Mahmedali and the sender is Mohamedalli, located in the Ramaily(?) Bazaar in Malé.

I think the title Maldeviwala is an unofficial but prestigious title, approximately meaning "Maldivian business owner", attributing status within the Morvi business community.

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 12.26.32 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 2.26.49 pm.png

Using Google translate, I have the following Gujarati versions of the addressee's name and honorific, together with Marathi versions for comparison. (Probably the Google translate versions need tweaking.)
From first manuscript line:
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 1.35.17 pm.png
Gujarati: મહંમદાલી ભાઈજીભાઇ [Mahammadālī Bhā'ījībhā'i]

Marathi: महमेदली भाईजीभाई [Mahamēdalī Bhā'ījībhā'ī]
Mahmedali Bhaijibhai

Gujarati: માલદેવીવાલા [Māladēvīvālā]

Marathi: मालदेवीवाला [Māladēvīvālā]
Maldeviwala

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: one more cover to India

Here is another cover from Malé to Morvi, part of the correspondence represented by the covers in the two previous posts.

Maldives to Morvi, Saurashtra region, India.<br />Cover franked with 6v¢ and 15¢ Palm and Dhow issues of 1950 (SG 24, 26) <br />Maldives cds 9.IX.54, Morvi arrival cds 20.9.54
Maldives to Morvi, Saurashtra region, India.
Cover franked with 6v¢ and 15¢ Palm and Dhow issues of 1950 (SG 24, 26)
Maldives cds 9.IX.54, Morvi arrival cds 20.9.54

The date of the Maldive Island [Malé] circular date stamp is probably 9.IX.54, and the Morvi circular date stamp arrival cancel is clearly 20.9.54. This implies 11 days in transit.

The sender's address stamp is in this case a clearer strike than on the cover in the previous post. We now see that the sender is Mohamedalli Bhaiji[bhoy], at No. 6(?) Ramally Bazaar, Malé. In manuscript on the address side, he simply writes "M. Bhaiji". I now realise that the suffix -bhoy = -bhai is an honorific:
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 11.30.05 pm.png
It appears likely the cover contained business correspondence. It seems that the addressee's family name this time is not Bhaiji[bhai]. This time I think I have made a better transcription of "Mahmedali" than the version Google translate gave in the previous post (I use -અલી here). As for the rest of the Gujarati address, I have made a very amateurish attempt at transcribing the first line and two key words in the third line. We again see the given name Mahammadali, but I am guessing the family name is (approximately) "Rapambekhe".
[Line 1] Gujarati: બેરાફકહદાન મહંમદઅલી રપમબેખેએ(?)
[Bērāphakahadāna Mahammada'alī Rapamabēkhē'ē]
Berafakhadan Mahammadali Rapambekhe

[Line 3] Gujarati: મોરબી xxxx સૌરાષ્ટ્ર [Mōrabī xxxx Saurāṣṭra]
Morvi = Morbi xxxx Saurastra
Any correction/help by a knowledgeable Stampboarder would be greatly appreciated.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

This cover from Malé to Vankaner (via Bombay) is from the same period as the covers in the previous posts. Vankaner is in the Morvi = Morbi district. The addressee and the sender appear to differ from those of the preceding examples.

Maldives to Vankaner, India: cover franked with 10¢ Minaret pair from 1909 issue (SG 10)<br />Maldives cds (date?); Vankaner arrival cds 6.7.56
Maldives to Vankaner, India: cover franked with 10¢ Minaret pair from 1909 issue (SG 10)
Maldives cds (date?); Vankaner arrival cds 6.7.56
The date in the Maldive Island [Malé] circular datestamp is very faint, but the Vankaner circular datestamp arrival cancel is clearly 6.7.56 = 6 Jul 1956.
It is surprising to see that the franking (10¢ pair) is from the 1909 issue, not the 1933 issue. Were the 10¢ stamps of the 1909 issue still officially on sale, or might these stamps have been purchased in quantity long before, and since been gradually used up on correspondence?
Last two lines of Gujarati manuscript address
Last two lines of Gujarati manuscript address
Gujarati: વાંકાનેર [Vāṅkānēra]
Marathi: वंकनेर [Vaṅkanēra]
Vankaner

Gujarati: બોમ્બે [Bōmbē] (?) / બોમબય [Bōmbaya] (?)
Marathi: बॉम्बे [Bŏmbē]
Bombay [not yet "Mumbai"]
Vankaner = Wankaner
Wankaner [= Vankaner] is a city and a municipality in Morbi [= Morvi] district in the State of Gujarat. Until 2013, Wankaner was part of the Rajkot district...

The city was named after its location on the Machhu River, "Wankaner" (Gujarati) translating to "riverbend".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankaner
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 12.03.23 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.40.25 am.png
Any correction/help by a knowledgeable Stampboarder would be greatly appreciated.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Interesting thread and collecting area,

I have little I can contribute, but in case it helps...

I guess with the first issues the numbers issued gives perspective on likely genuine v forged overprints and perhaps those commercially cancelled :
From Robson Lowe, Encylopaedia of British empire Postage Stamps Volume III interesting note too...
Maldives 1906 Issue numbers
Maldives 1906 Issue numbers
Also for the 1950 issue Murray Payne lists a couple of extra shades, in case this is useful
Maldives 1950 shade varieties
Maldives 1950 shade varieties
Thanks

Lundy :D

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thank you Lundy. That catalogue/reference information is helpful. The Robson Lowe information on numbers overprinted (1906 issue), and the comment about philatelic demand for the stamps, do help us "understand" the philatelic significance of that first issue. My 2018 Stanley Gibbons Commonwealth and British Empire Stamps 1840–1970 also states the date of issue as 9 Sep. 1906, and adds the footnote
2018 edition of SG 1840-1970 wrote: Supplies of Nos. 1/6 were exhausted by March 1907 and the stamps of CEYLON were used until 1909.
Some thoughts about catalogue values

The prices/values listed in the Robson Lowe and Murray Payne sources are less objective, of course, and time-dependent. They reflect philatelic market conditions at the time of publication. Lundy, could you please tell us the publication years of your Robson Lowe and Murray Payne sources? That would help put their lists of prices/values in perspective.

Such lists typically involve an element of commercial interest — "these are the prices at which I would sell the stamps", or more likely, "these are the prices I use as selling guidelines, and I will offer to sell at 10% discount, as an incentive to the potential buyer" (unstated positions, naturally). The other side of the coin is the tacit "if I were to buy these stamps, I would offer a standard percentage of these values as my buying price". The "standard percentage" for buying price is typically undisclosed ("commercial in confidence"), but might be in the range 25%-50%. Any informed comments on that?

When stamps are auctioned, we believe that "prices realised" are fairly good indicators of market value, and if prices realised reach "full catalogue value" or higher, this is regarded as indicating a very "good" result. It also is taken as evidence that the next issue of the catalogue should have its values adjusted upwards accordingly.

These comments are not intended as negative criticism. Rather, they are realistic commentary on the unwritten and usually unstated rules of commercial philately.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

The Morvi arrival postmark on the cover shown in my post of Sun Jun 20, 2021 13:48:28 pm has a clearer companion on this cover:

Maldives to Morvi, 1956: cover franked with 50¢ Minaret stamp (SG 19),<br />clear Morvi rectangular slogan cancel, 23 July 1956.
Maldives to Morvi, 1956: cover franked with 50¢ Minaret stamp (SG 19),
clear Morvi rectangular slogan cancel, 23 July 1956.
Here the manuscript details are clearer than on several covers shown previously, and the Gujarati manuscript is a more legible version of some of the inscriptions I have tried to transcribe in previous posts.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

RogerE wrote:
22 Jun 2021 11:53
Thank you Lundy. That catalogue/reference information is helpful. The Robson Lowe information on numbers overprinted (1906 issue), and the comment about philatelic demand for the stamps, do help us "understand" the philatelic significance of that first issue. My 2018 Stanley Gibbons Commonwealth and British Empire Stamps 1840–1970 also states the date of issue as 9 Sep. 1906, and adds the footnote
2018 edition of SG 1840-1970 wrote: Supplies of Nos. 1/6 were exhausted by March 1907 and the stamps of CEYLON were used until 1909.
Some thoughts about catalogue values

The prices/values listed in the Robson Lowe and Murray Payne sources are less objective, of course, and time-dependent. They reflect philatelic market conditions at the time of publication. Lundy, could you please tell us the publication years of your Robson Lowe and Murray Payne sources? That would help put their lists of prices/values in perspective.

The Robson Lowe Encylopaedia was published 1951 and the Murray Payne was 2015.

Will keep my eyes open for anything else that might be of interest

Lundy :)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Used set of the 1950 Palm and Dhow issue

The first post in this thread showed used examples of the top four values of the 1950 Palm and Dhow issue.
Here they are again, together with the five lower values making up the full set.

s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Maldives, 1950: Palm and Dhow set, used. SG21-9.
This Maldives set is MP1-9 in the Murray Payne KGVI Commonwealth Catalogue = MP.
Each stamp has a circular datestamp [= cds] but the year in the date is clearly legible only in the 2L (59), 15L (59) and 1R (54). It is consistent with this evidence to assume that all these stamps are later (1952?) printings.
Hence it is reasonable to suggest that
• the 2L is MP1a — yellowish olive (52);
• the 25L is MP7a — reddish purple (52);
• the 50L is MP8a — greyish violet (52).
I regard verbal descriptions of colour shades as quite subjective. Only when you have a reference example for comparison can you judge whether you have a colour "match". Comparing the 2L stamp in this post with the 2L illustration in the MP catalogue page shows the MP illustration is the "greener" of the two, so I tentatively identify the MP illustration as MP1 2L olive-green, and the stamp in this post as MP1a 2L yellowish olive.

Footnote 1: The MP catalogue header description for the Palm and Dhow set mistakenly says
Design, fishing boat and palm (except Nos 3, fish and 5, products).
The "exception" is a mistake. It actually refers to the "1952 new designs", MP10 and MP11, so the "exception" in brackets should be deleted. (In fact, MP3 and MP5 are the 5L and 10L Palm and Dhow subjects.)

Footnote 2: The same header description goes on to say Sheets 5 x 10. This refers to "5 stamps wide and 10 stamps deep" = "5 stamps across and 10 stamps down". I find format descriptions such as "5 x 10" rather ambiguous. Those of us who have studied enough mathematics to get acquainted with matrices (and determinants) are familiar with "rows" and "columns" being used to describe the entries in these arrays. A "row" is a horizontal set of entries, and a column is a vertical set of entries. The dimensions of a matrix are conventionally specified in the format r x c, where r = number of rows, c = number of columns. For example, here is a 2 x 3 matrix:
2 x 3 matrix
2 x 3 matrix
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/precalculus/x9e81a4f98389ef ... o-matrices

Any entry in the matrix has an "address" of the form (r, c), where r = its row number, c = its column number. For instance, the entry "7" in this matrix is in position (2, 3).
I would be happy to see this mathematical convention being used in philately. That would enable us to say, for example, that the bottom right stamp in a full sheet of Palm and Dhow stamps is in position (10, 5), and the whole sheet is in 10 x 5 format.

Footnote 3: Lundy kindly added the information that the Robson Lowe catalogue listing was published in 1951, and the Murray Payne = MP listing in 2015. Lundy, could you please check and tell us whether the 2015 printing of MP was a revised edition, with new prices? If it was only a reprint of an earlier edition, what was the printing date of that edition (when the prices listed were last updated)? I ask this in light of the following information:
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 03:22:54 am Robert1 posted a report that Stanley Gibbons Pty Ltd had acquired the Murray Payne business.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=52101

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1963 (or 1964) issue

Let's look at another of the commemorative stamp sets issued by the Maldives in the early 1960s. In this case the issue celebrated the World Scout Jamboree.

Like the Olympics, the World Scout Jamboree is held every four years. The 11th World Scout Jamboree was held in Marathon, Greece, 1-11 Aug 1963. Over 11,000 scouts from 71 countries participated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Scout_Jamboree

Maldives: 11th World Scout Jamboree set, SG130-3.
Maldives: 11th World Scout Jamboree set, SG130-3.
Maldives: 11th World Scout Jamboree set,<br />first day cover, cds Male, Maldives, 7 Dec 1963
Maldives: 11th World Scout Jamboree set,
first day cover, cds Male, Maldives, 7 Dec 1963
Maldives: 11th World Scout Jamboree<br />1r sheetlet (4 x 3), SG133
Maldives: 11th World Scout Jamboree
1r sheetlet (4 x 3), SG133
My 2018 SG Commonwealth and British Empire Stamps 1840–1970 = SG simply lists "1964" as the issue date for this set, unusually without day and month. The first day cover shown above is dated 7 Dec 1963. Assuming this is genuine, it corrects the partial information in SG. In either case, we see that the stamps were issued well after the Jamboree, so were commemorative rather than promotional issues. As scouting is a popular theme among collectors, it is evident that this set was among the Maldives' issues of the 1960s that were primarily revenue-raising issues.

SG makes no mention of the sheetlet — each value in the set was issued in that format. We may suppose that the sheetlet margins were decorative, and the number of stamps per sheetlet kept modest (12), so that a good proportion of collectors would decide to purchase the set in sheetlet form.

sagi2917
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by sagi2917 »

Hi RogerE,

With my friend's help, please find below the English translations for the 4 envelopes with Gujarati text :D

IMG_E9025.JPG
IMG_E9024.JPG
IMG_E9023.JPG
IMG_E9022.JPG

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Aaahh, thank you sagi2917, and thanks to your friend!

The translations superimposed on the images of those covers are just what we needed. :D

Footnote: I was visiting the site in haste the first time I saw your post, and I looked for the translations to appear below the images. When I noticed there was no added text in the "commentary" position, I wondered whether you were going to add the translations later. Now that I've come back to your post once again, with less haste and after a sleep, I have seen clearly how you have superimposed the translations on the images themselves. That technique is superior to what I was expecting, as the translations appear exactly where we need them as we examine the manuscript notations on the covers. Well done!

Interpolating between manuscript and translation

Now that you have given us the translations on those covers, it is possible for any interested reader to use Google Translate to recover the transcription of the Gujurati text, and its transliteration into roman characters.

As a sample, let us take the third cover in sagi2917's post. (It was first shown by me in this thread on Mon 21 Jun 2021 13:28:28 pm.) Here I will just process the first line of manuscript. All the rest could be handled similarly.

The translation tells us the addressee was in Khambhalia Village.
Entering that into Google Translate we find:
Transcription of the manuscript = Gujurati text: ખંભાળીયા ગામ
Transliteration into roman alphabet: Khambhāḷīyā gāma
Translation into English: Khambhalia Village
The cover is slightly "reduced" at the right side, so it is no longer possible to tell whether ગામ actually appeared there, but it would have been well understood by the postal service employees who had to process this cover.

The addressee in that first line is
Transcription of the manuscript = Gujurati text: સુગરાભાઇ દોસાજી
Transliteration into roman alphabet:Sugarābhā'i dōsājī
Translation into English: Sugarabhai Dosaji
His first name is pronounced like "Soo-gar-ah-b'hai".

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Commentary on the linguistic aspects of the Gujurati handwritten addresses is more naturally located in the Stamps and Languages thread, so I've added two consecutive relevant posts there, beginning with

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&start=823

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives to Jasdan, India: cover franked with<br /> 15¢ minaret and 5L palm and dhow definitives (SG 17, 23)<br />Maldives 2x cds 22.III.55; Jasdan arrival cds 2 APR 55
Maldives to Jasdan, India: cover franked with
15¢ minaret and 5L palm and dhow definitives (SG 17, 23)
Maldives 2x cds 22.III.55; Jasdan arrival cds 2 APR 55
The sender gives the addressee's name in Gujarati and cursive roman script.
Perhaps the sender is less confident with Gujarati script than with roman script(?).

ફતમા બાઈ ઇબરામજુ
Phatāmābā'ī Ibarāmaju
Fatimabay Ebhrahimju

મુ: જસદણ
Mu: Jasadaṇa
To Jasdan
I wonder whether "Vahrawad" is the addressee's occupation.

Jasdan

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.16.26 am.png
Wikipedia wrote:Jasdan city, in the Indian state of Gujarat, is famous for handicrafted items, agricultural machinery and diamond polishing. Jasdan is the biggest sub district in the Rajkot district... It is important for those in nearby villages which don't have a market...

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1909 issue 10¢

This rather attractive block of four, watermarked multiple rosettes, is the top value of the 1909 issue.
The faint date in the circular datestamp is probably 18.X.40.

Maldives, 1909 issue: 10¢ block of 4, cds 18 Oct 1940(?), SG 10.
Maldives, 1909 issue: 10¢ block of 4, cds 18 Oct 1940(?), SG 10.
Here is a later use of a pair of those stamps, on cover to India:

Maldives to Limbdi, Saurashtra district, India<br />Franked with 10¢ minaret definitive pair, SG10<br />Maldives cds 29.III.56; Limbdi = Limbadi arrival cds 10.4.56
Maldives to Limbdi, Saurashtra district, India
Franked with 10¢ minaret definitive pair, SG10
Maldives cds 29.III.56; Limbdi = Limbadi arrival cds 10.4.56
Location of Limbdi, Saurashtra district
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 4.54.55 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 4.51.38 am.png

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

1950 Palm and Dhow Imprints

This philatelic cover includes two marginal 2L Palm and Dhow pairs with partial imprints:

Maldives, 1 Jan 1953 philatelic cover:<br />Palm and dhow definitives: 2x 2L marginal pair, each with part imprint (SG21);<br />3L fish pair (SG30); 5L artefacts pair (SG31).
Maldives, 1 Jan 1953 philatelic cover:
Palm and dhow definitives: 2x 2L marginal pair, each with part imprint (SG21);
3L fish pair (SG30); 5L artefacts pair (SG31).
Evidently the two 2l pairs are from the bottom margin of their sheet, one pair from the bottom left corner, and the other pair adjacent to them, as the partial imprints "match", forming the full imprint:
BRADBURY|WILKINSON & CO. LTD., NEW MALDEN, SURREY, ENGLAND 1
Using matrix notation, as discussed on Thu Jun 24, 2021 00:21:39 am, the bottom left corner pair is {(10,1), (10,2)} and the adjacent pair, with mist of the imprint, is {(10,3), (10,4)}.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=61

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

1950 Palm and Dhow Imprints cont.

Complementing the previous post, here are imprints on a half sheet and a full sheet.

Maldives, 1950: 15L Palm and Dhow (SG26)<br /> lower half sheet, with imprint.
Maldives, 1950: 15L Palm and Dhow (SG26)
lower half sheet, with imprint.
Maldives, 1950: 6L Palm and Dhow (SG24)<br /> full sheet, with imprint.
Maldives, 1950: 6L Palm and Dhow (SG24)
full sheet, with imprint.
6L, bottom  two rows, with imprint.
6L, bottom two rows, with imprint.
BRADBURY|WILKINSON & CO. LTD., NEW MALDEN, SURREY, ENGLAND 1
Using matrix notation, as discussed on Thu Jun 24, 2021 00:21:39 am, the sheet format is 10x5. The lower half sheet is {(6,1), ..., (10,5)}, and the multiple consisting of the bottom two rows is {(9,1), ..., (10,5)}.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Index of Maldives Posts so far

For convenient cross-reference, I have decided to include here an index to all posts in this thread so far, each listed under the Maldives stamp set or topic which it treats. The stamp sets are listed consecutively in the first column, by SG = Stanley Gibbons numbers, together with a short name in the second column. The "link number" of each relevant post is given in the third column ("link number" is the number of the reply to the first post, so is one less than the post number!). For each post, the fourth column lists the SG numbers of the stamps actually treated in that post.

Some posts deal with general topics relevant to the thread. Those topics are listed at the beginning of the index. Some posts relate to more than one set or topic, so are listed for each. To go directly to a particular post, you can enter its "link number" in the url at the top of the page, and press "return". For example, the url
takes you to the post with "link number" #61. It is relevant to SG21-29, the Palm and Dhow set, and in fact treats the whole set SG21-29; in addition, it is listed under Philately because it treats philatelic matters (matters relevant to the Murray Pine catalogue; also notation for sheet format and address within a sheet).

Suppose you want to visit the posts that treat the 1952 Fish and Artefacts stamps, SG30-31. The Index shows the relevant "link numbers" are #12 and #24 for posts treating the set; #20 treats two examples of SG30; and #69 treats two of each stamp. To go to #12, replace #61 in the url above by #12, enter at the top of the page, and press "return":
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=12
Maldive Islands Philately to 1970
Local Index (0–70)

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.13.22 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.16.12 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.16.49 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.18.08 am.png

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Stamp Anniversary

In 1961 the Maldives issued a set of 10 stamps, together with a minisheet, to commemorate the country's first set of stamps, the 1906 MALDIVES overprints on six definitive values of Ceylon:

Maldives, 1961: Anniversary of First Stamps, SG78-87.
Maldives, 1961: Anniversary of First Stamps, SG78-87.
Maldives, 1961: Anniversary of First Stamps,<br />Minisheet, SG MS87a.
Maldives, 1961: Anniversary of First Stamps,
Minisheet, SG MS87a.
An unaddressed philatelic cover franked with low values of this set:
Maldives, cover with Malé cds 2 Dec 1963 <br />Franked 2L, 3x3L, 10L (SG78, 79, 82)
Maldives, cover with Malé cds 2 Dec 1963
Franked 2L, 3x3L, 10L (SG78, 79, 82)
When early sets such as this one included a minisheet, the SG numbering system did not immediately assign the minisheet a "proper" number in its sequence, making do with the number MS87a. Subsequently, after several sets appeared with minisheets, the SG numbering system finally began to assign them a "proper" number in its sequence.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Fish Triangles

Triangular stamps have been popular with many collectors, right from their first appearance in the classical stamps of the Cape of Good Hope. With the revenue-raising motivation well under way in the Maldives stamp-issuing program of the early 1960s, a set of triangular stamps made its appearance in 1963. It featured fish, a popular subject with topical collectors.

Maldives, 1963: Fish triangles, SG 110-117.
Maldives, 1963: Fish triangles, SG 110-117.
As with most other sets of this era, mint examples of most of these triangular stamps have tiny catalogue value. The 25L, 50L and 1r do catalogue a little better, while the 5r top value rated a respectable £6.25 in the 2018 Stanley Gibbons Catalogue of Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps 1840-1970. For used examples of these stamps, the 5r rates £12.00, while the 2L and 3L are the best of the rest.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Stamp Anniversary and Malé Views on cover

Here is a 1961 cover to Madras [= Chennai, since 1996] in Tamil Nadu, India

Maldives to Madras, cover with 3x Malé cds 14.X.61, <br />Madras Cathedral [P.O.] arrival cds 20.10.61<br />Franked with Malé Views 2L, 5L, 6L, 15L (SG51, 53, 54, 56)<br />and Stamp Anniversary 20L (SG 84)
Maldives to Madras, cover with 3x Malé cds 14.X.61,
Madras Cathedral [P.O.] arrival cds 20.10.61
Franked with Malé Views 2L, 5L, 6L, 15L (SG51, 53, 54, 56)
and Stamp Anniversary 20L (SG 84)
The most widely spoken languages in Chennai are Tamil and English.
This cover is addressed in manuscript English, to Cathedral P.O., Madras, South India.
The arrival cds = circular date stamp is for Madras Cathedral [Post Office]
Hindi: मद्रास कतीड्रल
[madraas kateedral]
Madras Cathedral
The date 20.10.61 indicates just 6 days in transit.

Madras = Chennai
Wikipedia wrote:Chennai /ˈtʃɛnaɪ/ Tamil: [ˈt͡ɕenːaɪ̯]; also known as Madras, the official name until 1996, is the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 6.34.31 pm.png
Tamil Nadu is the south Indian state adjacent to Sri Lanka
Madras [= Chennai, since 1996] is on the coast, in the northeast corner
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 6.27.36 pm.png

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

A fascinating thread, Roger!

Should we conclude (from the pre-1961 postmark reading just "Maldive Islands") that there is only the one Post Office in this large archipelago?

Maldives-63-FFH-FDC.jpg
Maldives 1963 Freedom from Hunger set on FDC.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks to Bruce = Panterra for that nice addition to this thread.
As it's not addressed, that cover is clearly philatelic. But finding that set of stamps in used condition in any other format is probably going to be very difficult, so we can be grateful to the person who created this cover.

According to the 2018 Stanley Gibbons Catalogue of Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps 1840-1970 = SG, the Freedom from Hunger set (SG118-124) was issued on 21 Mar 1963. The cover shown by Panterra has Malé cds of 24 Dec 1963, so it is not a first day cover. Although it is philatelic, in my opinion it is "less philatelic" than a first day cover, so more desirable.

Atypically, the SG catalogue value of each used stamp from this set is "good" — each one catalogues £2.00 or more, with the 1r topping the list at £12.00. The set catalogues at £16.00 mint and £30.00 used.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Post Offices in the Maldives

A question raised by Panterra asks whether there is more than one post office in the Maldives. Here I shall answer that question in some detail.

An earlier post included this cover with the two strikes of the attractive circular date stamp of Huvadu Atoll. Apparently the registration of the cover was initiated in Malé.
2x Huvadu Atoll cds, 1 Mar 1961,<br />cover registered in Malé; via Colombo to Berne, Switzerland
2x Huvadu Atoll cds, 1 Mar 1961,
cover registered in Malé; via Colombo to Berne, Switzerland
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=23
Huvadu = Huvadhu Atoll
Wikipedia wrote:Huvadhu is a large atoll located south of the Suvadiva Channel the Republic of Maldives. It was called Suvadhinmathi, Suvadiva or haddhun'mathi. The atoll contains 255 islands. It has a total area of 3152 km², of which 38.5 km² is dry land.

It is the second largest geographical atoll in the country, after Boduthiladhunmathi ... which has smaller and fewer islands spread across a larger area.

Huvadu Atoll has been divided into two districts (administrative provinces) for administrative purposes since the 1970s. These divisions are Northern Huvadhu Atoll (Gaafu Alifu) in the north, and Southern Huvadhu Atoll (Gaafu Dhaalu)...

There are many Buddhist archaeological remains in Huvadū. It is likely that this was a very important Atoll in that period of Maldivian History. None of these ancient remains have been properly investigated yet...

In January 1959, the three southern atolls: Huvadhu, Fuvahmulah and Addu, were involved in setting up the breakaway United Suvadive Republic which survived until September 1963. The name of the secessionist state was taken from the ancient name of this atoll. The main motivation for secession was stated to be disagreements with the centralized policies that were being enforced by Malé at the time.

The republic collapsed when the island of Havaru Thinadhoo was depopulated, and all infrastructure burnt to the ground by the Maldivian military lead by then Prime Minister Ibrahim Nasir in 1962, after which it was left uninhabited for four years. For the next 10 years, the seat of power was moved to Gaddhoo until Havaru Thinadhoo, since repopulated, was reinstated as the capital of Huvadhoo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huvadhu_Atoll
Maldives Post Head Office, in Malé
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 3.26.33 am.png
https://www.maldivespost.com/

Map and Satellite Image
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.57.32 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.58.01 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.04.55 am.png
Maldives Post Offices in the Atolls

Well, it turns out that there are 15 post officeslocated in the various atolls. I don't know when any one of them came into service, but the website for Maldives Post gives us this list, with contact details. I am not aware of date stamps which identify the various atoll post offices.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.03.02 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.03.34 am.png
https://www.maldivespost.com/

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Perhaps we should all try to seek postmarks from those isles?

One excellent way to do this is to send a cover to a fictional name supposedly living at that isle. Be sure to clearly show sender's name & address in top left corner of your envelope! With any luck, they will mark it "Not known, return to sender" and backstamp it.

Another way is to write to each Postmaster, enclosing an envelope addressed to you plus an international reply coupon, and ask if they will send it back.

maldives-79-IYC.jpg
Maldives 1979 International Year of the Child,
showing (apparently) the native posties.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives stamps up to 1970, and commercial mail after 1970

Although revenue raising evidently motivated the sudden increase in Maldivian stamp issues during the 1960s, arguably one positive aspect of those issues in that most have internationally significant subjects. In contrast, later issues have subjects that are frequently trivial or narrow in focus. For instance, issues after 1970 included many Disney themed sets and issues featuring film stars or pop music idols. Not only were they revenue raisers, it seems unlikely that many saw actual postal use — indeed, commercial mail using such stamps is rarely seen.

However, one aspect of Maldivian post-1970 postal history that is definitely not "philatelic" is the official mail. Unfranked official covers can occasionally be found, and they preserve information about the functioning of this "serious" dimension of the postal service, and recent postal history. Here is an example.

Official registered cover
Hand stamp depicts the Official Emblem of the General Post Office
On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to London, England<br />On Postal Service, with General Post Office handstamp.<br />Malé Regd cds 6 Jul 1977, with Malé registration label No. 4033
On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to London, England
On Postal Service, with General Post Office handstamp.
Malé Regd cds 6 Jul 1977, with Malé registration label No. 4033
Colombo backstamps dated 7 Jul 77:<br />Colombo regd double ring; Colombo Registered Foreign single ring.
Colombo backstamps dated 7 Jul 77:
Colombo regd double ring; Colombo Registered Foreign single ring.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: Palm and Dhow set cont.

The "key" stamps in the 1950-52 Palm and Dhow set are mint examples of the three low values of the set.
My 2018 Stanley Gibbons Catalogue of Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps 1840-1970 = SG values mint examples of these stamps thus:
• SG21a: 1952 colour-modified olive-brown 2L — £13.00
• SG22: blue 3L — £18.00
• SG23: emerald-green 5L — £18.00
Maldives: SG21a, 22, 23
Maldives: SG21a, 22, 23
Maldives: right marginal strip of four SG22
Maldives: right marginal strip of four SG22
Used examples of these stamps are also "good": the used SG21a rates £13.00, while used SG22 and SG23 each rate £3.50 in my 2018 SG catalogue.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Language
Travelonline.com wrote:Dhivehi is the national language of the Maldives and has been shaped by various languages including Arabic, French, Portuguese, Persian and English. Dhivehi is an Indo-Aryan language derived from the Sinhalese language of Sri Lanka.
Modern stamp issues of the Maldives include the country name in both Dhivehi and English:

Birds of the Maldives
Birds of the Maldives
A discussion about Dhivehi can now be found in the Stamps and Languages thread, at
https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&p=7243548#p7243548

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

In a post I added to this thread yesterday [Fri Jul 02, 2021 01:26:43 am] I commented about the philatelic policies of the Maldives in the 1970s. The increasing focus on revenue raising (by sales to the international philatelic market) is exemplified by this 1975 set:

Maldives, 1975: Ships 1L-5r, SG 587-593.
Maldives, 1975: Ships 1L-5r, SG 587-593.
Maldives, 1975: 10r Ship minisheet, SG594.
Maldives, 1975: 10r Ship minisheet, SG594.
Even in long sets issued in the 1960s, it was typical that the low values were 2L, 3L, 5L (good for stamp dealers' "packet trade") and the top value of the set was often 1r, sometimes 2r (keeping the cost of a full set relatively affordable for many collectors).

In the 1970s these restraints disappeared. This 1975 Ships set has a full run of low values 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L clearly tempting greater engagement by "packet trade" dealers (even though it is unlikely there was any postal rate matching most of these). Moreover, the high values now include 5r and 10r, making the set much more expensive for committed collectors. (The values up to 1r total just 1r40L; the 5r and 10r are huge by comparison, and one expects that they will be missing from most collections.)

Of course, these stamps are visually appealing, and certain thematic collectors would find them quite appropriate additions to their topical or subject collections. Nevertheless, collectors specialising in country collections would likely have given up sooner or later on the Maldives, because of the expense (and clear revenue raising motivation). That response is now very familiar for most traditional country collectors. The goose that laid the philatelic golden egg has been killed by short-sighted issuing policies.

Viewed from a wider perspective, all this is part of postal history, and even sociology.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

1933 Minaret pairs

A return to the early issues will help to remind us of the period when revenue raising was of lesser weight in the stamp issuing program of the Maldives.

Maldives, 1933 minaret series:<br />2¢ pair, sideways wmk (SG11B), cds 15.VII.37
Maldives, 1933 minaret series:
2¢ pair, sideways wmk (SG11B), cds 15.VII.37
Maldives, 1933 minaret series:<br />10¢ pair, sideways wmk (SG16B), cds 9.XI.38
Maldives, 1933 minaret series:
10¢ pair, sideways wmk (SG16B), cds 9.XI.38

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

1960 Malé views

Another look at earlier Maldivian stamps.

An unaddressed philatelic cover date stamped 1961
Maldives, 1960 Malé views issues (9 lowest values SG51-59),<br />unaddressed cover with 4x cds 23.II.61 = 23 Feb 1961.
Maldives, 1960 Malé views issues (9 lowest values SG51-59),
unaddressed cover with 4x cds 23.II.61 = 23 Feb 1961.
According to my Stanley Gibbons catalogue, the subjects of these stamps are
2l: Tomb of Sultan
3L: Custom House
5L: Cowrie Shells
6L: Old Royal Palace
10L: Road to Junin Mosque(*)
15L: Council House
25L: New Government Secretariat
50L: Prime Minister's Office
1r: Old Ruler's Tomb

(*) Note the clearly visible Minaret (featured on the 1909 and 1933 stamp sets)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

1965 Quiet Sun Year

This short set contrasts with the length of other sets issued in the same time frame.

Maldives, 1965: Quiet Sun Year (SG148-151)<br />Unaddressed first day cover, 1 Jul 1965<br />Sheetlet of 9x 5L (SG148), cds 1 Jul 1965
Maldives, 1965: Quiet Sun Year (SG148-151)
Unaddressed first day cover, 1 Jul 1965
Sheetlet of 9x 5L (SG148), cds 1 Jul 1965
As usual, the 2018 Stanley Gibbons Catalogue of Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps 1840-1970 makes no mention of the special sheetlet format.

However, Gibbons does have a significant historical/political note immediately following this set:
On 26 July 1965, Maldive Islands became independent and left the Commonwealth, rejoining the organisation on 9 July 1982.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Modern history of the Maldives, in brief

A slightly tweaked extract from Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:After the 16th century, when colonial powers took over much of the trade in the Indian Ocean, first the Portuguese, then the Dutch, and the French occasionally meddled in local politics of the Maldives. However, this interference ended when the Maldives became a British Protectorate in the 19th century and the Maldivian monarchs were granted a good measure of self-governance.

The Maldives gained total independence from the British on 26 July 1965. However, the British continued to maintain an air base on the island of Gan in the southernmost atoll until 1976. The British departure in 1976 at the height of the Cold War almost immediately triggered foreign speculation about the future of the air base. Apparently the Soviet Union made a move to request the use of the base, but the Maldives refused.

The greatest challenge facing the republic in the early 1990s was the need for rapid economic development and modernisation, given the country's limited resource base in fishing, agriculture and tourism. Concern was also evident over a projected long-term sea level rise, which threatens disastrous consequences for the low-lying coral islands comprising the Maldives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Maldives
A 1968 cover from Gan to UK
Cover from British serviceman in Gan, to England<br />Franked with Scottish regional 4d, cds Field Post Office 166 [Gan], 24 Jun 1968
Cover from British serviceman in Gan, to England
Franked with Scottish regional 4d, cds Field Post Office 166 [Gan], 24 Jun 1968

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1962 UNICEF commemorative set

UNICEF = United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (first activated 11 Dec 1946).
Wikipedia wrote:UNICEF, now known as the United Nations Children’s Fund, is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide.

The agency is among the most widespread and recognisable social welfare organisations in the world, with a presence in 192 countries and territories. UNICEF's activities include providing immunisations and disease prevention, administering treatment for children and mothers with HIV, enhancing childhood and maternal nutrition, improving sanitation, promoting education, and providing emergency relief in response to disasters.

UNICEF is the successor of the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF). It was
created on 11 Dec 1946, in New York, by the U.N. Relief Rehabilitation Administration to provide immediate relief to children and mothers affected by World War II...

In 1950, its mandate was extended to address the long-term needs of children and women, particularly in developing countries. In 1953, the organisation became a permanent part of the United Nations System, and its name was subsequently changed to its current form, though it retains the original acronym.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNICEF

Maldives 1962 UNICEF commemorative set

Celebrating the 15th anniversary of UNICEF, the Maldives issued this set of eight stamps on 9 Sep 1962.
Although it is clearly a revenue raiser, especially with the 5r top value, it has the merit of commemorating a significant international organisation.
Maldives, 1962: 15th anniversary of UNICEF (SG96-103)
Maldives, 1962: 15th anniversary of UNICEF (SG96-103)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Airport

While the philatelic focus of this thread is the period up to 1970, I try to learn about the larger picture — the geography, history and culture of the Maldives, as well as the more modern sociopolitical developments.

Maldives Airport minisheet

I have come across an unexpected minisheet currently on eBay. It helps us learn about the Maldives Airport:

Unissued minisheet
Maldives, 1980 (unissued): Hululé International Airport minisheet
Maldives, 1980 (unissued): Hululé International Airport minisheet
I don't know why this minisheet was not issued — perhaps the readiness of the new airport was delayed, and this resulted in cancellation of the planned stamp issue?

However, we can learn much more about the airport, which is located on Hulhulé Island:

Hulhulé Island
Wikipedia wrote:Hulhulé (ހުޅުލެ), located at 4°11′N 73°32′E, is an island in the North Malé Atoll of the Maldives where the city's airport, Velana International Airport, is located. The island has no permanent population.

It is one of the islands closest to the capital island Malé. Hulhulé is considered a ward of Malé.

The 2.1km Sinamalé Bridge links the island with Malé. The bridge, opened on 30 Aug 2018, has two car lanes and separate lanes for motorcycles and pedestrians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulhul%C3%A9_Island
Velana International Airport
Wikipedia wrote:The Velana International Airport is located on Hulhulé island along with some official premises, e.g. Maldivian Bureau of Meteorology. The airport is served internationally by a variety of holiday charter flights (mostly from Europe) and several scheduled carriers including Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines, Emirates, Qatar Airways, Etihad Airways, British Airways, Turkish Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and Sri Lankan Airlines. In addition to serving as an international and domestic airport, Hulhulé is also home to the seaplane terminal operated by Trans Maldivian Airways. The island also serves as a hub for travellers wishing to connect to a domestic flight to the further outlying atolls, such as Laamu.
The airport first started out as a small strip of land on the then [un?]inhabited island of Hulhulé. Hulhulé Airport was opened on 19 October 1960. The first runway built on Hulhulé Island was made of slotted steel sheets...

In May 1964, the government and the people of Malé worked together to construct a new asphalt runway. The four districts of Malé competed for the prize money of 1,000 rufiyaa, awarded to the fastest district... The new runway was opened on 12 April 1966 by President Ibrahim Nasir...

When the tourism boom in the Maldives began in 1972, the country was in need of an international standard airport to transport international tourists to the resort islands. So, on 11 Nov 1981, the airport was officially inaugurated under a new name of "Malé International Airport".

Maldives Airports Company Ltd (MACL) was formed on 1 Jan 1994 to operate and manage the Malé International Airport. MACL is governed by the board of directors appointed by the President of the Maldives.

On 26 July 2011, Malé International Airport was officially renamed as the Ibrahim Nasir International Airport in memory of Ibrahim Nasir, the second President of the Maldives and the founder of the airport.

On 1 Jan 2017, the airport was rebranded as Velana International Airport, referring to the family house name of President Ibrahim Nasir. The rebranding is part of a strategic plan in aligning the airport with the economic vision of the Yameen administration...

On 18 Sep 2018, the airport opened a new runway. It is 3,400 metres long and 60 metres wide, built to serve larger aircraft...

On 17 November 2019, a new Seaplane Terminal was opened...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velana_International_Airport
Earlier population on Hulhulé
Wikipedia wrote: In 1968, the aboriginal Giraavaru people were forced to abandon their ancestral home on Giraavaru island under an Islamic regulation that did not recognise communities with fewer than 40 adult males who could form a quorum at the Friday prayers. The Giraavaru people were ferried across the atoll lagoon to Hulhulé Island. When the airport on Hulhulé was extended, they were shifted across to Malé and housed in a few blocks in newly reclaimed areas in the Maafannu district.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1962: Sultan Mohamed Farid Didi

An issue of local significance in 1962 portrayed Sultan Mohamed Farid Didi.
(Because of variations in transliteration conventions, the romanised spelling of his name takes various forms, as the following quotation shows.)
Maldives, 1962: Sultan Mohamed Farid Didi, SG104-109
Maldives, 1962: Sultan Mohamed Farid Didi, SG104-109
Wikipedia wrote:King Muhammad Fareed Didi, Dhivehi: އަލްއަމީރު މުޙަންމަދު ފަރީދު ދީދީ, Al'amīru Muḥanmadu Farīdu Dīdī, KCMG, (11 Jan 1901 – 27 May 1969) was the son of the Sultan Prince Abdul Majeed Didi — Al Munthakhab Liarshi Dhaulathil Mahaldheebiyya. He was the last Sultan of Maldives and the first Maldivian monarch to assume the title of "King" with the style of "His Majesty". He was the Sultan of the Maldives from 7 Mar 1954 until 11 Nov 1968. He was deposed in 1968 from the throne, when Maldives became a republic...

After his deposition from the throne, the King left the royal palace and retired to his own residence (Maabagychaage, now the parliament house) in Henveru ward. He died on 27 May 1969, in Malé. He was given a state funeral and was buried in the Galolhu Cemetery.
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 5.15.38 pm.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Fareed_Didi

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian President Ibrahim Nasir

Following the previous post about Sultan Muhammad Fareed Didi, here is a brief note about his successor:
Wikipedia wrote:Ibrahim Nasir Rannabandeyri Kilegefan, Dhivehi: އިބްރާހިމް ނާޞިރު ރަންނަބަނޑޭރި ކިލޭގެފާނު, KCMG, NGIV = Nishan Ghaazeege 'Izzatheri Veriya, Dhivehi: ނިޝާން ޣާޒީގެ ޢިއްޒަތްތެރި ވެރިޔާ (2 Sep 1926 – 22 Nov 2008) was a Maldivian politician who served as Prime Minister of the Maldives under Sultan Muhammad Fareed Didi from December 1957 to 1968 and succeeded him to become the first President of the Second Republic from 1968 to 1978.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Nasir
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 11.09.21 pm.png
Nasir's presidency
Wikipedia wrote:Ibrahim Nasir was sworn in as the second President of the Republic of Maldives on 11 Nov 1968. He is widely credited with modernising the long-isolated and nearly unknown Maldives and opening them up to the rest of the world. He laid the foundations of the nation by modernising the fisheries industry with mechanised vessels and starting the tourism industry. Even today the nation is dependent on these two industries as a primary source of income and the main drivers of the economy.

He was credited with many other improvements such as introducing an English-based modern curriculum to government-run schools. He brought television and radio to the country with formation of Television Maldives and Radio Maldives for broadcasting radio signals nationwide. He abolished Vaaru, a tax on the people living on islands outside Malé, as well as many other taxes on various imports to the country, some of which have been since re-instated. When Nasir relinquished power, Maldives was debt-free to the international community, and corruption was effectively under control. Under his watch, the national shipping line with more than 40 ships that were plying the oceans of the world remained a source of national pride for Maldivians. It was a remarkable success story among the maritime nations of South Asia. Nasir is considered the independence hero of the Maldives. He brought about the independence of the Maldives from being a protectorate of the British Empire. He also directed the building of Hulhulé International Airport, the first international airport in the Maldives.

Some notable achievements during Nasir's rule:

• Attaining political independence for the country on 26 July 1965.
• Starting an English language intermediate education program (March 1961)
• Starting A-level education (1976)
• Initiating the Atoll Education Centre project and opening the first centre (Eydhafushi, 1977)
• Women permitted to vote in Maldives (1964)
• Starting nursing training (1963)
• Opening health centres in all atolls (starting with Naifaru, 1965)
• Opening the first modern hospital (October 1967)
• Building the first airport (April 1966)
• Starting the tourism industry (March 1972)
• First motorised fishing boat built (In Hulhule' boatyard, July 1964)
• Modernising the fisheries industry with mechanised vessels (engines became available for private fishing vessels; 1974)
• Felivaru fish canning factory opened (February 1978)
• Incorporating Maldives Shipping Limited (MSL; 1967)

Nasir was criticised for his authoritarian methods used against opponents. Most notably he was criticised for his iron-fisted methods in handling an insurrection by the people of Thinadhoo, Addu and Huvadu Atolls, who formed a breakaway government – the United Suvadives Republic – with closer ties to the British, for a brief period of time.

Nasir's hasty introduction of the Latin alphabet (Malé Latin) in 1976 instead of local Thaana script – reportedly to allow for the use of telex machines in the local administration – was widely criticised. Clarence Maloney, a Maldives-based U.S. anthropologist, lamented the inconsistencies of the "Dhivehi Latin" which ignored all previous linguistic research on the Maldivian language and did not follow the modern Standard Indic transliteration. At the time of the romanisation every island's officials were required to use only one script. The Thaana script was reinstated by President Gayoom shortly after he took power in 1978. However, Malé Latin continues to be widely used...
Nasir's later life
Wikipedia wrote: Nasir was succeeded by President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom who was then Minister of Transport and former permanent representative of the Maldives to the United States. The former president went into self-exile in Singapore on 7 December 1978 after resigning from his post. In 1981, Gayoom sentenced him to jail in absentia for alleged corruption charges and plotting a coup d'état; none of the allegations were proven and Nasir was pardoned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Nasir
As noted in my post of Wed Jul 07, 2021 13:54:18 pm, on 26 July 2011, Malé International Airport was officially renamed as the Ibrahim Nasir International Airport in memory of Ibrahim Nasir, the second President of the Maldives and the founder of the airport.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

A close examination of the Thaana script in the previous two posts has now been added in the Stamps and Languages thread, at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&p=7249416#p7249416

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Thaana looks really complex.

I'm glad Ibrahim Nasir went for use of English in schools and life!

maldives-79-IYC.jpg

If the kids can't read English, they'll have no joy from Disney comix!

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Actually, Panterra, if you look carefully at the Thaana analyses and refer back to the earlier listing of the characters, I think you will discover it's a lot easier than many other scripts. It's easier than Arabic, for example, because of the obligatory vowels in Thaana.

Footnote: I continue to find the many Disney stamps of the Maldives among the most blatantly revenue-raising, and responsible for turning many collectors away from collecting the country. I hope that the issues up to 1970, together with the later items of modern postal history, are convincing readers that the Maldives still offers "good philately" for the serious collector...

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Postcard

As an example of modern postal history from the Maldives, here is a very recent postcard, presumably sent by a Russian holiday maker. You can't get much more modern than this!
I classify it as tourist mail. It is somewhere between "commercial mail" and "philatelic mail", closer to the former than the latter. The geographical information it conveys is attractive.
Maldives postcard to St Petersburg, Russia: <br />boxed cancel Maldives Post (Mail Operations)  13 May 2021,<br />St Petersburg arrival cancel 3 Jun 2021<br />Franked with 15r Manta Ray
Maldives postcard to St Petersburg, Russia:
boxed cancel Maldives Post (Mail Operations) 13 May 2021,
St Petersburg arrival cancel 3 Jun 2021
Franked with 15r Manta Ray
Front of postcard: views of Halaveli Island, Maldives
Front of postcard: views of Halaveli Island, Maldives

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Official Mail

Official mail" is at the "top end" of the spectrum running between "philatelic mail" and "tourist mail" and "commercial mail". In a recent post I showed a 1977 official mail cover to England, marked On Postal Service.
https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=78
Here is another On Postal Service cover from that period, this one to USA.

On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to Merrick, NY, USA<br />On Postal Service, with General Post Office handstamp.<br />Malé Regd cds 10 May 1977, with Malé registration label No. 3095
On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to Merrick, NY, USA
On Postal Service, with General Post Office handstamp.
Malé Regd cds 10 May 1977, with Malé registration label No. 3095
Backstamps: 2x Colombo 12 May 1977; Merrick NY, 20 May 1977.
Backstamps: 2x Colombo 12 May 1977; Merrick NY, 20 May 1977.
Front includes Merrick handstamp,
"First notice 5/20/77 [20 May 1977], Return 6/19 [19 June]"
This cover spent just 11 days in the mail. We have no comparison time for the companion cover sent on 6 July 1977 to England (2x Colombo transit cds 7 Jul 1977, but no arrival datestamp), but there is one interesting number we can deduce from the two covers. The registration labels 3095 (10 May 1977) and 4035 (6 Jul 1977) imply 41 registered postal items were sent during this 58 day period. (We can't tell how many were On Postal Service — perhaps they all were. Also the two covers shown were not necessarily the first and last for those dates, but at least we have a "2 in 3" estimate: the Malé postal service was dispatching an average of two official covers [On Postal Service (?)] every three days in mid-1977.)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Official Mail cont.

Here is an earlier official mail item:

On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to Pasadena, CA, USA<br />from Dept of Information and Broadcasting, with Official Paid handstamp.<br />Malé Regd cds 30 Apr 1972 (and one tying backflap), with Malé registration label No. 4114
On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to Pasadena, CA, USA
from Dept of Information and Broadcasting, with Official Paid handstamp.
Malé Regd cds 30 Apr 1972 (and one tying backflap), with Malé registration label No. 4114
Backstamps: 2x Colombo 9 May 1972 (and one on front),<br />two Pasadena arrival backstamps 16 Sep 1972 (Arroyo Annex), 18 Sep 1972 (Station D)
Backstamps: 2x Colombo 9 May 1972 (and one on front),
two Pasadena arrival backstamps 16 Sep 1972 (Arroyo Annex), 18 Sep 1972 (Station D)
Front includes Pasadena handstamp,
"First notice Sep 18 1972"
Transit time to Colombo 10 days, but then transit time of 132 days to Pasadena Station D.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: 1964 Olympics Celebration set

The first international theme represented on Maldivian stamps was the 1960 Rome Olympics (SG43-50). This was the beginning of stamp issues clearly targetng the international philatelic market.
https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=33
By 1964 the number of revenue raising stamp issues was well under way, and the Tokyo Olympics were a natural choice for a new stamp set (SG140-147, MS147a):

Maldives, 1964: Tokyo Olympics, SG140-147
Maldives, 1964: Tokyo Olympics, SG140-147
Maldives, 1964: Tokyo Olympics minisheet, SG MS147a
Maldives, 1964: Tokyo Olympics minisheet, SG MS147a

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives, 1965: Nubian Monuments Preservation

In the 1960s a subject of international significance was the UNESCO campaign to raise awareness and funds to preserve the antiquities in the Upper Nile Valley, in the area traditionally referred to as Nubia.

Maldives, 1965: Subjects alternate between Abu Simbel wall carvings of<br />Isis and Rameses II (SG152-159)
Maldives, 1965: Subjects alternate between Abu Simbel wall carvings of
Isis and Rameses II (SG152-159)

In 1954 the decision to build the Aswan High Dam was made. This dam would lead to the creation of a huge artificial lake covering the Upper Nile Valley from Aswan in Egypt to the Dal Cataract in Sudan - a culturally extremely rich area, which has been known as Nubia since antiquity.

Abu Simbel
Abu Simbel
In 1959 the Egyptian and the Sudanese Governments requested UNESCO to assist their countries in the protection and rescue of the endangered monuments and sites. In 1960, the Director-General of UNESCO launched an appeal to the Member States for an International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia. This appeal resulted in the excavation and recording of hundreds of sites, the recovery of thousands of objects, and the salvage and relocation of a number of important temples to higher ground, the most famous of them the temple complexes of Abu Simbel and Philae. The campaign ended on 10 March 1980 as a complete and spectacular success.
https://whc.unesco.org/en/activities/172/

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Official Mail cont.

Here is another official mail item, in this case a 1976 piece to Devon, UK:

On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to Totnes, Devon, England.<br />General Post Office handstamp, so implicitly, On Postal Service.<br />Official Paid handstamp, and Malé Regd cds 25 May 1976; Malé registration label No.10652.
On Maldivian Government Service, unfranked registered cover to Totnes, Devon, England.
General Post Office handstamp, so implicitly, On Postal Service.
Official Paid handstamp, and Malé Regd cds 25 May 1976; Malé registration label No.10652.
Backstamps: 2x Colombo regd cds 26 May1976; <br />oval arrival registered ds South Devon 26 May 1976.
Backstamps: 2x Colombo regd cds 26 May1976;
oval arrival registered ds South Devon 26 May 1976.
Transit time: one day to Colombo, but by air to UK on the same day (thanks to time zone difference of 4½ hours!)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Gan Airforce Base

During Word War II the British had a strategic naval base at Gan. Wikipedia says: In 1957, the naval base was transferred to the Royal Air Force. From 1957, during the Cold War, it was used as an outpost as RAF Gan. The base remained in intermittent service until 1976, when British Forces withdrew.

Earlier in this thread I showed mail from [British] Field Post Office 166 on Gan:
https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=85
Here are two Forces Mail covers from Gan, sent to England at the start of the 1970s (spanning the introduction of decimal currency in the UK). They are part of the postal history of the Maldives. Forces mail items lie on the spectrum between commercial and philatelic mail: these two are close to the commercial end of the spectrum.

British Forces, Gan: cds Field Post Office 166, 22 Aug 1970,<br />franked 5d, to Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, England
British Forces, Gan: cds Field Post Office 166, 22 Aug 1970,
franked 5d, to Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, England
British Forces, Gan: cds Field Post Office 166, 2 Nov 1971,<br />franked 3p, to Margate, Kent, England
British Forces, Gan: cds Field Post Office 166, 2 Nov 1971,
franked 3p, to Margate, Kent, England
Gan
Wikipedia wrote:Gan , Dhivehi: ގަން, is the southernmost island of Addu Atoll (also known as Seenu Atoll), as well as the southernmost island of the Maldives. It is relatively large by Maldive standards.

The origin of the word "Gan" is in the Sanskrit word "Grama", meaning "village".

Gan is the second largest island of the atoll, after Hithadhoo, and measures 2¼ sq.km. in area. Gan was formerly inhabited, but its inhabitants were moved to neighbouring islands after the British naval and airbase was built. It has had continuous human habitation since very ancient times. There were large cultivated fields of yams, manioc and coconut trees on this island. A former havitta (ancient Buddhist stupa) at the island's east end had to be removed to build the runway.

Gan has now a hotel catering for tourists and is connected by causeways to the neighbouring islands of Feydu, Maradu and Hithadhoo.

This island is not to be confused with two other Maldive islands called "Gan": Gan (Huvadhu Atoll) and Gan (Laamu Atoll).
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 1.15.05 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 1.15.43 am.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_(Addu_Atoll)

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”