FIJI Bird Overprint stamps from 2006 : A PICTORIAL LISTING

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

overprints
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: FIJI Bird Overprint stamps from 2006 : A PICTORIAL LISTING

Post by overprints »

Duh... if I would only read more carefully I see the basic rate is 42c ground OR air and the 7c is for an extra 30gm by air and I don't know how to edit my last post, so I have to post the clarification here.

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Fiji phased out 1c and 2c coins some years ago, removing them from circulation. Thus a rate of 42c is to a certain extent hypothetical.

It used to be the case that Post Fiji had to get approval from a government body before they could increase rates (and that may still be the case). Even then there is scope for a degree of confusion - i.e. setting rates that were not an exact multiple of the lowest coin available in circulation (5c).
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

overprints

Post by overprints »

Could be similar to what they do in Canada. Buy 1 stamp for 45c or multiples of 5 for 42c each. Or maybe they give you a 3c stamp as change. All I know is it clearly says 42c.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

The rate was 38c when the lowest denomination circulating coin was 5c so they seem to manage somehow with postage rates which aren't a multiple of 5c.

It is like shopping in Denmark where shelf edge prices might say something like DKK 2.79 even though the lowest denomination circulating coin is DKK 0.50. They tot up your bill and round it up or down to the nearest 50 ore if you pay by cash. Similar scenario in Sweden - there they have demonetised all coins below the SEK 1 so it gets rounded to the nearest Crown.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

overprints

Post by overprints »

I have learned of another printing of the 5c xxx on 44c where only position 1 has the narrower spacing between the xxx and c. I do not have an image to show.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

overprints wrote:
04 Oct 2021 23:06
I have learned of another printing of the 5c xxx on 44c where only position 1 has the narrower spacing between the xxx and c. I do not have an image to show.
Do you have any idea of the date of that printing?

overprints

Post by overprints »

No idea

overprints

Post by overprints »

I should have said I don't even know if it is the latest version or an earlier one.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I'll have to have a look at my historical records and report back.

towradji
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by towradji »

What is the rumour about Post Fiji having a one off "fire sale" of 48 sheets of the Bird definitive overprints?

I hear a dealer is selling the errors on ebay

Or am I off the mark?

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

towradji wrote:
28 Oct 2021 13:59
What is the rumour about Post Fiji having a one off "fire sale" of 48 sheets of the Bird definitive overprints?

I hear a dealer is selling the errors on ebay

Or am I off the mark?
No, there appears to be substance to the rumour. An email was sent to all PISC members informing them of this yesterday. I don't know who the dealer was and have not been looking for overprints on ebay.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

To: All PISC Members
The Fijian “Fire Sale” – Advance information for PISC Members – Caution.
On September 29th 2021 Post Fiji released details of a one-off “fire sale” the proceeds of which it has been suggested could be used to help finance a new issue commemorating 150 Years of Postal Services in Fiji. You have already been informed that financial constraints within Post Fiji mean that no future new issues would be commissioned unless they are fully funded externally.
The “fire sale” referred to comprises 48 complete sheets of Bird definitive overprints accumulated in the Philatelic Bureau over a period of time but not intended for distribution to post offices. In detail they include the following:- 2c/31c (4); 5c/31c (3); 20c/31c (4); 1c/44c (11); 2c/44c (2); 4c/44c (3); 5c/44c (9); 6c/44c (1) 20c/44c (4); and 20c/63c (7).
Most of these sheets are standard, but some contain errors/varieties and should have been destroyed, but which now have been released for sale to collectors. Of particular interest is a single sheet of the 5c/44c with overprint inverted (sheet 16297) produced in October 2020; a group of 9 sheets of the 1c/44c being used for trials of different settings (from the same date); and 7 sheets from a trial printing on the 63c original with partial double overprints etc (accidentally produced on 30 December 2015).
A management decision dictated that these sheets:
a) Would only be sold as complete sheets.
b) Would be sold at the original value of the stamp before overprinting (i.e a sheet of 1c/44c stamps would cost you $44, rather than the stamp value of $1).
Several of these sheets with major errors have already been sold to a dealer and are now appearing on E-Bay with significant prices. We would caution anyone interested that there is a distinct possibility that catalogue editors will not list these items and may consign them to Appendix status.
We would therefore advise caution – “caveat emptor” – Buyer Beware!
Bryan Jones
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Editor Pacifica
Pacific Islands Study Circle
www.pisc.org.uk

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Due to other pressures and calls on my time, as well as loss of contacts, I have been unable to keep up to date with the Fiji overprints in the way that I have for the past 12 years or so, since the beginning of this year.

However, this fire-sale would appear to be indicative of the desperate situation in COVID ravaged Fiji and also extremely short sighted. If they raised circa 2,000 FJD (approx 700 GBP) from this sale, that is a ridiculously small amount in comparison with the potential damage that such a sale could potentially cause.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”