Engraved Stamp Beauties

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

Eli
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Engraved Stamp Beauties

Post by Eli »

Roger, glad you find the stamps attractive! French engravers gave them charm. :) Unfortunately, I don't have a lot from Monaco, I think I have only 50-60 more stamps to show. So here are three anniversaries stamps issued on January 18, 1972:

The Cradle, by Berthe Marie Pauline Morisot (1841 – 1895), Musée d'Orsay, engraved by Jacques Combet and issued to commemorate 25th anniversary of UNICEF:

Monaco 1972 UNICEF.jpg

Pierrot, also known as Gilles, by Jean-Antoine Watteau (1684–1721), engraved by Jean Miermont and issued to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the death of Watteau:
The painting depicts a number of actors portraying commedia dell'arte masks, with one as the titular character set in the foreground.

Monaco 1972 Watteau.jpg

Christ before Pilate, by Albrecht Dürer (1471 – 1528), engraved by Robert Cami and issued to commemorate the 500th Anniversary of the birth of Dürer:

Monaco 1972 Durer.jpg

This is one woodcut out of a series of 36 woodcuts called "The Small Passion" by Albrecht Dürer, produced in 1511 as a new set of works on Biblical themes and the life and Passion of Christ.

Monaco Durer.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Birth anniversaries - Painters, engraved by Georges Bétemps and issued by Monaco on November 9, 1983:

Portrait of a Young Man, by Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino, known as Raphael (1483 – 1520), issued to commemorate 500th birth anniversary of Raphael:

Monaco 1983 Raphael.jpg

Cottin Passage, by Maurice Utrillo (1883 – 1955), issued to commemorate the 100th birth anniversary of Utrillo:

Monaco 1983 Utrillo.jpg

Monaco Raphael.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Statues of Greek Mythology Figures by Baron François Joseph Bosio (1768 – 1845)

Baron François Joseph Bosio was a Monegasque sculptor who achieved distinction in the first quarter of the nineteenth century with his work for Napoleon and for the restored French monarchy. On July 12, 1948, Monaco issued a set of nine stamps designed by Pierre Gandon, shows statues of Greek Mythology figures by Bosio: Nymph Salmacis, Hyacinth, Heracles and Aristaeus. In the Mythologies thread, I posted all stamps with comprehensive descriptions but, since we are now in Monaco, I think this set fits here too.

Baron François Joseph Bosio, by the French artist Julien-Léopold Boilly (1796–1874), engraved by René Cottet:

Monaco 1948 Bosio 5.jpg

Nymph Salmacis, engraved by Jules Piel:

Monaco 1948 Bosio 9.jpg

Monaco 1948 Bosio 1.jpg

Aristaeus statue, engraved by Charles-Paul Dufresne:

Monaco 1948 Bosio 3.jpg

Monaco 1948 Bosio 7.jpg

Hercules fights Achelous (as a serpent), engraved by Pierre Munier:

Monaco 1948 Bosio 2.jpg

Monaco 1948 Bosio 6.jpg

Hyacinth, engraved by Charles Mazelin:

Monaco 1948 Bosio 4.jpg

Monaco 1948 Bosio 8.jpg

Portrait of Bosio by the French artist Julien-Léopold Boilly (1796–1874) used as a model to design the first stamp (source: Wikipedia):

FJ._Bosio.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

During years 1982-1989 Monaco issued a long series contains eight sets of two stamps each called "Monaco in the Belle Epoque" show paintings by Hubert Clerrisi. The Belle Epoque (French for "Beautiful Epoch") is the term often given to a period of French and European history, usually dated to between 1880 and the outbreak of World War I in 1914.

All stamps engraved by Czesław Słania. I will post all sets except the first issued 1982 which I still missing. Here is the second set issued on November 9, 1983:

Monaco Beach in 1902:

Monaco 1983 Clerrisi 1.jpg

Paris Caffe in 1905:

Monaco 1983 Clerrisi 2.jpg

Here is the third set issued on November 8, 1984:

Grimaldi street in 1908:

Monaco 1984 Clerrisi 1.jpg

The train station in 1910:

Monaco 1984 Clerrisi 2.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

What a master engraver was Czesław Słania! Those stamps are lovely.

The style developed by painter Hubert Clerrisi has an informality which I find quite charming. This owes much to the sense of geometrical construction conveyed by the extended lines beyond the boundaries of the objects and figures represented.

Scenic artworks by Bernard Buffet several decades later seem to me to include a further development of that method. What do you think?

Bernard Buffet, 1967: L'Isle Saint Louis, lithograph.
Bernard Buffet, 1967: L'Isle Saint Louis, lithograph.
Bernard Buffet, 1967: Le Pont des Arts, lithograph.
Bernard Buffet, 1967: Le Pont des Arts, lithograph.
/RogerE :D

Eli

Post by Eli »

RogerE wrote:
07 May 2021 00:41
What a master engraver was Czesław Słania! Those stamps are lovely.

The style developed by painter Hubert Clerrisi has an informality which I find quite charming. This owes much to the sense of geometrical construction conveyed by the extended lines beyond the boundaries of the objects and figures represented.

Scenic artworks by Bernard Buffet several decades later seem to me to include a further development of that method. What do you think?

Roger, thanks for your input. I already posted a stamp shows Bernard Buffet painting and I didn't notice that. Now, comparing the paintings of the two artists, I see their styles are very resemble each other especially the sharp lines and the right angles. Here is the stamp again, shows the same painting you posted, “Pont des Arts (Lovers’ Bridge) and the Institute of France, Paris” by Bernard Buffet (1928 - 1999), engraved by Claude Durrens and issued by France on February 4, 1978:

France 1978 Bernard Buffet a.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks for showing that French stamp image Eli.

No doubt Buffet produced multiple artworks on the subject, over a period of years — some in the "study" mode, working in various media, then others in the more serious "subject" mode. The example I showed in my earlier post appears to me to be a study, created as a lithograph (I think unsigned). The subject for the French stamp was an oil painting, and was signed, so a more serious subject work. Here is another signed (and dated) work on the same subject:

Bernard Buffet, 1960: Le Pont des Arts et l'Institut, signed, oil on canvas
Bernard Buffet, 1960: Le Pont des Arts et l'Institut, signed, oil on canvas
These are rather "dark" works, and I prefer the lighter, brighter mood of the works by Hubert Clerrisi which you showed on the Monaco stamps. They certainly reflect the spirit of the Belle Epoque. I'm looking forward to seeing the next set(s) of Monaco stamps in that annual series...

Eli

Post by Eli »

RogerE wrote:
07 May 2021 04:04
These are rather "dark" works, and I prefer the lighter, brighter mood of the works by Hubert Clerrisi which you showed on the Monaco stamps. They certainly reflect the spirit of the Belle Epoque. I'm looking forward to seeing the next set(s) of Monaco stamps in that annual series...

Roger, please.....

Here are fourth and fifth sets issued on November 7, 1985 and October 28, 1986, respectively:

Monaco port in 1912:

Monaco 1985 Clerrisi 1.jpg

Train avenue in 1920:

Monaco 1985 Clerrisi 2.jpg

Music Pavilion in 1920:

Monaco 1986 Clerrisi 1.jpg

Beau Rivage avenue in 1925:

Monaco 1986 Clerrisi 2.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Lovely! Thanks Eli :D

Eli

Post by Eli »

Here are the rest sets, sixth to eighth sets, of the series "Monaco in the Belle Epoque" show paintings by Hubert Clerrisi and engraved by Czesław Słania. The sets were issued on November 16, 1987, September 8, 1988 and October 26, 1989, respectively. From the 1988 set, I have only one stamp missing the second one:

Major Ramp in 1925:

Monaco 1987 Clerrisi 1.jpg

Monte Carlo Station in 1925:

Monaco 1987 Clerrisi 2.jpg

Station Square in 1910:

Monaco 1988 Clerrisi 1.jpg

Boat in the Monaco Port in 1915:

Monaco 1989 Clerrisi 1.jpg

Game Room in 1915:

Monaco 1989 Clerrisi 2.jpg

Here all what I have together (missing 3 stamps to complete the series):

Monaco Clerrisi.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Again, thanks Eli, a lovely group.

Applause for the artist, Hubert Clerrisi,

Hubert Clerrisi (1923–2000)
Hubert Clerrisi (1923–2000)
https://hubert-clerissi.com/fr/menu.htm
and the ever-popular engraver Czesław Słania.

Czesław Słania (1921–2005)<br />[source: Wikipedia]
Czesław Słania (1921–2005)
[source: Wikipedia]

Footnote: The signature and photo-portrait of Hubert Clerissi above were sourced from
https://hubert-clerissi.com/fr/menu.htm
This source is written in an evocative and rather flamboyant style of French. The first paragraph
provides us with a thoughtful context (the English translation here is sourced from Google Translate,
but I have lightly tweaked it):
Quiconque s'est exercé dans l'art de peindre, fût-ce en amateur, a ressenti l'étrange et apaisante sensation de se retrouver hors du temps. Car au vrai le regard et la représentation de l'espace sont une seule et même chose, et l'intervention de la main semble y procéder comme en rêve. C'est cet envoûtement que les artistes restituent à travers leurs œuvres, et c'est par là que celles-ci nous enchantent.

Anyone who has practised the art of painting, even as an amateur, has felt the strange and soothing sensation of being outside of time. Because in reality the gaze and the representation of space are one and the same, and the intervention of the hand seems to proceed there as in a dream. It is this spell that the artists preserve through their works, and it is by this that they enchant us.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, Roger, for the extra information you posted. Your information always enrich the thread.

100th Anniversary of the Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatoper, 1869 - 1969), designed by Otto Stefferl and issued by Austria on May 23, 1969. The stamps are both engraved (the black areas of the stamps show the characters) and photogravured (the gold margins).

Don Giovanni, Opera by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, engraved by Kurt Leitgeb:

Austria 1969 Opera 1.jpg

The Magic Flute, Opera by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, engraved by Kurt Leitgeb:

Austria 1969 Opera 2.jpg

Fidelio, Opera by Ludwig van Beethoven, engraved by Georg Wimmer:

Austria 1969 Opera 3.jpg

Lohengrin, Opera by Richard Wagner, engraved by Alfred Fischer:

Austria 1969 Opera 4.jpg

Don Carlos, Opera by Giuseppe Verdi, engraved by Werner Pfeiler:

Austria 1969 Opera 5.jpg

Carmen, Opera by Georges Bizet, engraved by Alfred Nefe:

Austria 1969 Opera 6.jpg

The Rosencavalier, Opera by Richard Strauss, engraved by Georg Wimmer:

Austria 1969 Opera 7.jpg

Swan Lake, Ballet by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, engraved by Maria Laurent:

Austria 1969 Opera 8.jpg

The stamps were issued in a sheet, which I don't have, contains tab in the middle:

Austria 1969 Opera 9.jpg

This is not the sheet, I scanned the engraved areas of the stamps and show them all together:

Austria 1969 Opera em a.jpg

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”