Engraved Stamp Beauties

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Engraved Stamp Beauties

Post by GlenStephens »

Added these to my Rarity Page today .. a set that really has class!

stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by stallzer »

Are the 2£ and 10/- eyes normal for those issues ? They both look as if something is wrong with 1 on their eyes. I just lost out on a great registered Australian cover with the 2£ Navigator, I bid $70.00 and it sold for $73 US. Would that have been a good price for purchase ? or too much ?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

What this page full of monochromes needs now is a dash of bright colors. So, here are some images of a set of three floral stamps designed and engraved by Jean Pheulpin, and issued by Cambodia on July 1, 1961, Scott Nos. 91-93, SG No. 115-17.

- nethryk

Image Image Image

Frangipani

Oleander

Amaryllis

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

I suppose we mustn't let the Ides of March go by without posting something to remind us of ancient Rome. Here are images of a stamp designed by Pierrette Lambert and engraved by Eugène Lacaque featuring a scene from the Aeneid, Book VI, issued by Monaco on November 8, 1982 to mark the bimillennium of the death of the poet Virgil, Scott No. 1360.

- nethryk

jugoslavija_post
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by jugoslavija_post »

Some classic Australia:

jugoslavija_post

Post by jugoslavija_post »

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

The Sporting Life, Part 2: Discus throwing.

- nethryk

Image Image Image

Sokol Centennial, engraved by Arthur W. Dintaman (vignette) and G.A. Payne (lettering), issued by the USA on February 15, 1965, Scott No. 1262.

Discus thrower, designed by Pierre Gandon and engraved by Jules Piel, issued by Monaco on July 1, 1948, Scott No. 206.

Myron's Discobolus, engraved by Armadina Lozano and printed by Ashton-Potter, issued by the USA on July 19, 1996, Scott No. 3087.

aardvark
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by aardvark »

Nethryk - your Algerian stamp is great. It's interesting how colonial stamps so often show a heavily romanticised view of the colony from the imperial power - in this case France's view of the Algerian people and their culture. I find exactly the same with many British Commonwealth stamps. I'll post some here soon, as soon as I can get my ancient head round the technology! By the way, this is only my second post - not a one-post newbie any more :-)

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

aardvark - Thanks. I assume you are referring to Jules Piel's "Dancer," based on Chassériau's painting, which appears on page 20 of this thread. Yes, there was a lot of European colonial romanticizing going on, and for a long time; for example, take Eugène Delacroix's 19th century Algerian- and Arabian-themed paintings. I am looking forward to seeing stamp images in your future posts that may further illustrate this curious phenomenon.

Meanwhile, here are some images of two stamps featuring altogether different types of African dancers. These stamps were designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon, and issued by Congo on May 8, 1964, Scott Nos. 114 & 115.

- nethryk

Image Image

Le Ballet Diaboua

Kebe-kebe dance (note that the acute accent (aigu) marks in this stamp's lettering seem to be inaccurate!)

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

Yes, sorry Nethryk, I should have said which stamp I was talking about! As a newbie I've only just realised that replies are added to the end of the thread and are not attached to a specific post as in some other forums I've been involved with.

These latest ones of yours are great examples of the interesting (if slightly unsettling) imperial attitudes to indigenous culture - a kind of condescending 'see how colourful the natives are' attitude. Beautiful stamps though and excellent examples of the engraver's (and printer's) art.

I shall post some British Commonwealth examples soon. Watch this space!

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

aardvark - Thanks. But let's not confuse European colonial romanticism with authentic African cultural pride. The Congo Republic achieved independence from France on August 15, 1960, and the two stamps posted above were issued over three years later during the administration of President Massamba-Débat.

- nethryk

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

Thanks Nethryk, very fair point - I realise I was showing my ignorance of the former French colonies (I know more about former British ones)!

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Déjà vu stamps, part three: Riding high.

- nethryk

Image Image

Le Cirque, from a painting by artist Georges-Pierre Seurat (1859-1891), engraved by Pierre Gandon, and issued by France on November 8, 1969, Scott No. 1239, Y&T No. 1558A.

Ballerina on Horseback, booklet stamp engraved by Czeslaw Slania (plus some lithogravure), and issued by Sweden on October 10, 1987, Scott No. 1656, Facit No. 1469.

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

More on African cultures: Here are images of a set of four stamps depicting woodcarving art from several Ivory Coast tribes. These stamps were engraved by Michel Monvoisin (1932-1982), and issued by Ivory Coast on April 9, 1966, in conjunction with the International Negro Arts Festival, Dakar, Senegal, Scott Nos. 241-44.

- nethryk

Image Image Image Image

Baoulé mother and child.

Unguent vessel, Wamougo mask.

Atie carved drums.

Bete female ancestral figure.

mpaulj781

Post by mpaulj781 »

Interesting that the stamps shown are virtually all monocolour. I personally like the two (and even three) colour recess printed stamps and think the Swaziland railway set of 1964 are exquisite with the merging of colours.
Even the common Ceylon 1947 New Constitution set is great, and for a really excellent definitive set the Pitcairns 1957 set takes some beating with its colour combinations.
They all put to shame the Machin definitives currently used in the UK.
Perhaps I will have time to submit a photo of them tomorrow, but as it is a free listing day on eBay, perhaps not.
Regards,
Mike.

paultalbot
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Curious About Bluenose

Post by paultalbot »

I'm close to the head of the line of collectors who consider Canada's 1929 Bluenose the most gorgeous stamp of all time. I received this copy as a Christmas present in 1965.
But I'm also curious about some of the stories surrounding Bluenose, so may I toss out a few questions?

1. Was Herman Herbert Schwartz the designer?
2. Was Robert Silas Allen the engraver?
3. Was the release date January 6th or January 8th, 1929?
4. Printing... 1,045,000?
5. In 1929, what were most 50 cent stamps used for? Were a lot of Bluenose stamps affixed to international mail, and wind up in other countries?

And...

The schooner in the background. I have read that this vessel is also Bluenose, but from a different photograph taken by W.R. MacAskill, another image in a series taken when Bluenose sailed along the Nova Scotian coast near Halifax in 1922.
Is this second schooner information urban philatelic myth or verifiable? Could the lagging vessel be Gertrude L. Thibault?

What a stunning stamp. Timeless, exciting, and enchanting.

I appreciate your information to help us even better appreciate one of our hobby's gems.
Paul Talbot
American Stamp Dealers Association
American Philatelic Society
The Collector's Club (New York)

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Springtime is here at last: time for more flowers! These delicate stamps were engraved by Czeslaw Slania, and issued by Denmark on September 19, 1974 to mark the Centenary of the Copenhagen Botanical Garden, Scott Nos. 560 & 561, Facit Nos. 600 & 601.

- nethryk

Image Image

Blue Iris (Blå iris).

Northern Marsh Orchid (Nyckelblomster.)

joelk

Post by joelk »

A View of Bruges, engraved by Jean De Bast in 1929, and shown here with a proof signed by him. The proof has a different colour and face value compared with the stamp as it was issued.

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

From Bruges to Burgos: Many fine postage stamps have been produced by several Spanish engravers; my personal favorite among them is José Luis López Sánchez Toda (1901-75.) Here is a set of four stamps engraved by Señor Sánchez Toda celebrating the heroic life of Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (1043-1099), known as el Cid Campeador. This set was issued by Spain on July 30, 1962, Scott Nos. 1121-24, Edifil Nos. 1444-47.

- nethryk

Image Image Image Image

Head detail after the equestrian statue Monumento al Cid (1955), Burgos, sculpted by Juan Cristóbal González Quesada (1897-1961). (Looks to me a bit like Charlton Heston!)

After Estatua del Cid, (1935) Buenos Aires, Argentina, sculpted by Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington (1876-1973.)

El Cid's coffin. His remains are buried in Burgos Cathedral.

Alfonso VI's humiliating Oath, after the painting Jura de Santa Gadea (1864) by Marcos Hiráldez Acosta, but this design is also alternatively attributed by some sources to Andrés García Prieto. Mysterious!

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

US Pan-American Exposition issue, Bridge at Niagara 1901

Designer : R. Ostrander Smith, Engravers: Marcus Baldwin and Lyman F. Ellis

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

US Pan-American issue, Canal Locks at Sault Ste. Marie, 1901

Designer : R. Ostrander Smith Engravers : Marcus Baldwin and Lyman F. Ellis

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

This day in history: 1925, Tennessee becomes the first U.S. state to outlaw the teaching in public schools of the theory of evolution by natural selection. Duh.

- nethryk

Image Image

Chimpanzee (?-?), natural born philosopher, engraved by Georges Bétemps, and issued for use in French West Africa on May 2, 1955, Scott No. 62.

Christen Mikkelsen Kold (1816-1870), founder of the Danish Folk High School, engraved by Czeslaw Slania, and issued by Denmark on March 29, 1966, Scott No. 425, Facit No. 467.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Too bad John Scopes never made it to a Stamp.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Birds, Stamps on Stamps and Engraved Beauties

French Polynesia November 2010

Image Image

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

stallzer - Agreed. Power to the primates!

KevinHedley - Good ones. Here are images of another topical stamps multitasker: Poets, nudes, cats, flowers, owls, skulls, and bow ties. This stamp was designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon, and issued by Monaco on January 18, 1972 to mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867), best known for his 1857 collection of poems on the themes of decadence and eroticism, Les Fleurs du mal, Scott No. 820.

- nethryk

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

Thanks Nethryk - great Baudelaire stamp. The cats are scary though - much more threatening than the skull. :lol:

Hoping to post some of my stamps soon.....

Aardvark

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

The Engraved Beauties continue - this one was issued by the Czech Republic only two weeks ago.

Year of the Rozmberks - Petr Vok of Rozmberk, Vilem Rozmberk

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

KevinHedley - Nice. I'll be sure to add that one to my want list.

Poet's Corner: Happy birthday to Robert Frost (1874-1963), winner of four Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry. Commemorative stamp designed by Paul Calle, engraved by Arthur W. Dintaman (vignette) and Robert G. Culin, Sr. (lettering), and issued by the USA on the 100th anniversary of the popular poet's birth, March 26, 1974, Scott No. 1526.

- nethryk

Image Image

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

KevinHedley wrote:The Engraved Beauties continue - this one was issued by the Czech Republic only two weeks ago.

Year of the Rozmberks - Petr Vok of Rozmberk, Vilem Rozmberk

Thank you for posting this Kevin, I had no idea that engraved Stamps were still in business..so to say. A very lovely piece indeed.

igotstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by igotstamps »

I am placing these photos here upon request. Enjoy!

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Here are images of a stamp depicting a 1704 ship's bell from the Royal Danish-Norwegian Navy's Norske Løve (Norwegian Lion), engraved by Czeslaw Slania, and issued by Faroe Islands on February 6, 1989 to "ring in" the 200th anniversary of Havnar Church in Tórshavn, Scott No. 188, Facit No. 183. Great 3-D effect!

- nethryk

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

The Sporting Life, part three: The 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four are Kentucky, Connecticut, VCU & Butler.

Go Bulldogs!

- nethryk

Image Image

James A. Naismith (1861-1939) was a Canadian and American sports coach who invented the sport of basketball in 1891. Commemorative stamp engraved by Matthew D. Fenton (vignette) and Howard F. Sharpless (lettering), and issued by the USA on the 100th anniversary of Naismith's birth, November 6, 1961, Scott No. 1189.

Basketball, designed by Pierre Gandon and engraved by Gabriel-Antoine Barlangue, issued by Monaco on July 1, 1948 to publicize its participation in the 1948 Olympic Games held at Wembley, England, Scott No. 207.

nodeli

Post by nodeli »

This one found amidst the collection of my grandfather's that was given to me by my dad when he received 20% of said collection some 30 years ago.

Norm D

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

In the USA, March 30 is National Doctors' Day, a special day set aside to honor the dedicated physicians who work tirelessly for the patients who entrust them with their health care.

Here is an image of a commemorative stamp depicting "The Doctor," after an 1887 painting by the English painter and illustrator Sir Luke Fildes (1843-1918), engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and J.S. Edmondson (lettering), and issued by the USA on June 9, 1947 to mark the 100th anniversary of the founding of the American Medical Association, Scott No. 949.

- nethryk

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

March 31st Daily Double: Happy Birthday wishes to Franz Joseph Haydn, and also to Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol. Coincidentally, Gogol was born in the same year that Haydn died, 1809. :o

- nethryk

Image Image

Joseph Haydn, called both the "Father of the Symphony" and the "Father of the String Quartet," designed by Adalbert Pilch, engraved by Rudolf Toth, and issued by Austria on May 19, 1982, Scott No. 1210. Nice tie!

Nikolai (spelled with an "M" in Polish!) Gogol, designed by Boguslaw Brandt, engraved by Czeslaw Slania, and issued by Poland on June 5, 1952, Scott No. 544, Michel No. 743. Gogol's short story The Overcoat, and his satirical novel Dead Souls (both published in 1842), are two of my all-time favorite reads.

luvthecmonwealth
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by luvthecmonwealth »

My Bluenose.

Information on the stamp courtesy of Unitrade:

The stamp was designed by Herman Herbert Schwartz and engraved by Harold Osborn. Printed by Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited.
There were 1,045,000 printed.
First day of issue: January 8th, 1929
As the time the postage rates were as follows:
Domestic: 2c per oz.
Local: 2c per oz.
Postcard: 2c
Printed mater: 1c per oz.
USA: 2c per oz.
UK: 2c per oz.
Non-UK: 8c per oz.
Airmail: 5c
Special Delivery: 20c

I'm guessing it was used for heavier letters/small parcels.
For some more information on the Bluenose, here's a Canada Historica Minute...

https://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10213
"I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."- John Lennon

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Poet's Corner: In the USA, April is National Poetry Month (no fooling!). To kick it off properly this year, here are images of a Famous American series commemorative stamp issued by the USA on February 20, 1940 honoring the greatest (in my opinion) American poet, Walt Whitman (1819-1892), along with a brief sample of his poetry from the final, "Deathbed" edition of his masterpiece, Leaves of Grass. This stamp was engraved by Charles A. Brooks and Matthew D. Fenton (vignette) and William B. Wells (lettering), Scott No. 867.

- nethryk

Image Image

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Sorry to leave you to hold down the Fort Nethryk :)

US Newspaper 1¢ proof

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

stallzer - Well, it's good to have you back on "board." :)

BTW, I adore allegorical shieldmaidens; here are images of a few more from my collection.

- nethryk

Image Image Image

Freedom, engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and A.W. Christensen (lettering), and issued by the USA on April 20, 1950, Scott No. 989.

Lex and pal, engraved by Reijo Achrén, and issued by Finland on May 23, 1957, Scott No. 347, Facit No. 481.

Science fighting cancer, semi-postal stamp designed and engraved by Gabriel-Antoine Barlangue, and issued by France on February 20, 1941, Scott No. B110, Y&T No. 496.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

France, November 2010

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Hello Jacob here. :D
I was looking thru Dads junk tin again and found this rather nice stamp.

I was looking at all the detail on the snakes skin and there sure is some nice work there.

I have no idea where this stamp is from. :oops:

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Jacob wrote:Hello Jacob here. :D

I was looking at all the detail on the snakes skin and there sure is some nice work there.

Thanks Jacob
Your stamp is from a set of 8 Snakes and Protected Animals issued by Russia in 1977.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

neilthestampman
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by neilthestampman »

Jacob wrote:Hello Jacob here. :D

[Image

Yes Jacob you may sometimes go thru my junk tin, but you will not find any of these. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1897-1898
Block of 4, engraved by Charles Skinner.

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Reptiles rule! Here are images of a stamp depicting another cuddly critter: Savanna(h) monitor (Varanus exanthematicus), also known as Bosc's Monitor in Europe, designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps, and issued for use in French Equatorial Africa on May 2, 1955, Scott No. 188, SG No. 186.

- nethryk

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

From an old box of mine.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Another old cover.

Image Image

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Poet's Corner: Another great American poet, Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), has often been called the successor to Walt Whitman. Here are images of a couple of stamps issued in his honor, plus a sample of his poetry.

- nethryk

Image Image Image

Carl Sandburg and Jenny Lind, engraved by Martin Mörck, and issued by Sweden on March 29, 1988, Scott No.1674, Facit No. 1492. Sandburg's ancestry was Swedish. Might Lind have been Sandburg's dream girl? More about Lind in my next post.

Carl Sandburg, designed by American artist (and Sandburg's close friend) William A. Smith (1918-1989), engraved by Kenneth Kipperman (vignette) and Albert Saavedra (lettering), and issued by the USA on the 100th anniversary of Sandburg's birth, January 6, 1978, Scott No. 1731.

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Johanna Maria Lind (1820-1887), better known as Jenny Lind, was a world-famous Swedish opera singer, known as the "Swedish Nightingale." Among her many performances were 93 concerts in the USA produced by the American circus showman, P.T. Barnum. Since her last public performance was in Düsseldorf, Germany on January 20, 1870, some eight years before Carl Sandburg was born, it is highly unlikely that Lind was the inspiration for Sandburg's poem, "Dream Girl!" Here are some images of a stamp designed by Majvor Franzén-Matthews after an 1848 portrait of Jenny Lind as Norma painted by Swedish artist Johan Olaf Södermark (1790-1848), engraved by Czeslaw Slania, and issued by Sweden on March 25, 1975, Scott No. 1110, Facit No. 910. Check out those curls!

- nethryk

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

US, The founding of Jamestown, 1907

Designers: G. Rose and Edward M. Hall - Engraver: Marcus. W. Baldwin

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Déjà vu stamps, part four: Mountain men.

- nethryk

Image Image

Kentucky Statehood, designed after a mural in the Kentucky state capitol building in Frankfort painted in 1909 by the American artist Thomas Gilbert White (1877-1939), depicting Daniel Boone and his party catching their first glimpse of the Bluegrass region atop Pilot Knob in 1769. This commemorative stamp was engraved by Charles A. Brooks (vignette) and A.W. Christensen (lettering), and issued by the USA on June 1, 1942, Scott No. 904.

Blue Mountains Crossing, designed by Tom Alban and engraved by P.E. Morris, depicting explorers Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Wentworth looking west from Mount York on May 28, 1813, issued by Australia on May 28, 1963, Scott No. 354, SG No. 352.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”