Engraved Stamp Beauties

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

jjarmstrong47
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Engraved Stamp Beauties

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

I think she is supposed to be looking studious but I think she's just had a day like mine. Printer broke down, goats broke through the fence into the roses and the car has started making a funny noise.
You get days like that. Nice stamp though!
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

I also found these two images of the Queen. I think they are worth sharing.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

We've often commented on the quality of stamps from Czechoslovakia. This one has some wonderful detail such as the bracket holding the street lamp.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Monaco issued a postage stamp on 19 October 2012 on the occasion of the Centenary of the Consecration of Saint-Charles Church. The stamp is engraved by Claude Andréotto.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Monaco issued quite a few engraved stamps in 2012. This postage stamp came out on 12 September 2012 and shows the Inauguration of the New Building of the Conseil National. The engraver was Pierre Bara.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Monaco celebrated the 400th Anniversary of the title of Prince of Monaco with a postage stamp engraved by Elsa Catelin and issued on 12 September 2012.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Georges Henri Rouault (1871-1958) was a French Fauvist and Expressionist painter and printmaker in lithography and etching. Here are images of two Red Cross semi-postal (charity) stamps depicting works by Rouault from his great series of mixed-media intaglio prints, Miserere, first exhibited in 1948, designed and engraved by Jule Piel, and issued by France on December 2, 1961, Scott Nos. B356 & 357, Y&T Nos. 1323 & 1324.

- nethryk

Il serait si doux d'aimer ("It would be so sweet to love")

L'aveugle a parfois consolé le voyant ("The blind man has sometimes consoled the seeing man")

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

As this is a 'landmark' post for me I thought I'd return to my adopted 'favourite' thread of Engraved Stamp Beauties. Thanks to everyone on this thread and indeed on this board who have made me so welcome.

As its a special number I wanted to put up a scan of a slightly different stamp. This one isn't expensive, in fact I have three copies of it, but I just like the engraving and simplicity inherent in the design.

It is SG509 from Chile celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the first National Government and depicts the Arms of Chile

Here's to the next 1000 posts :D :D

Thanks everyone, and enjoy!

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Congratulations on 1000 posts and thanks for your contributions to this wonderful thread.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

JonEboy - Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts! Your beautiful Chile coat of arms stamp was engraved by Chilean artist and engraver José Moreno Benavente (1905-1981). Here is an image of another fine stamp designed and engraved by Moreno which features portraits of Chilean poet Eusebio Lillo Robles (1826-1910) and Catalan composer Ramon Carnicer I Batlle (1789-1855), issued by Chile on September 18, 1947 to commemorate the centenary of the current National Anthem of Chile, the Canción Nacional (National Song), Scott No. 249. Carnicer wrote the music for the anthem in 1828, and the lyrics were rewritten in 1847 by Lillo.

- nethryk

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Elsa Catelin has engraved another postage stamp for Monaco. The stamp was issued on 10 September 2012 and the occasion was the Centenary of the League for the Protection of Birds (LPO).

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Here is an image of a Red Cross semi-postal (charity) stamp depicting a doctor and a nurse providing care to a wounded soldier, with his wife and child in attendance, designed and engraved by Pierre Munier, and issued by France on May 12, 1940, Scott No. B101, Y&T No. 459.

- nethryk

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Monaco issued a postage stamp on the 16 January 2013 on the occasion of the 125th Anniversary of the Societe Nautique de Monaco. The engraver was Claude Jumulet.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

The 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Pierre de Coubertin was noted by Monaco with the issue of a postage stamp on 2 January 2013. The engraver was Yves Beaujard.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

aardvark
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by aardvark »

JonEboy - congratulations! Your 1,000 posts have certainly enriched this wonderful thread! Keep up the good work.... :D

Nethryk - I've long been an admirer of Rouault's paintings but I haven't previously seen those amazing French stamps. They work really well as engravings - absolutely stunning images. Many thanks for posting!

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Thanks Aardvark, I hope to be able to continue to contribute for some time yet!

Today's offering is the first in the 1961 Air set from the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), SG9 the 100f stamp featuring Helichrysum Mechowiam (note the misspelling of Helicrysum) designed by P Lambert and engraved by P Munier.

I'll post the other two stamps in the set later this week.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

As promised here are the final two images, both together as I'm going to be away this weekend.

The first is the 200f stamp from the Air set SG10 showing 'Cogniauxia Podolaena', which is a local plant, predominantly a creeper, designed again by P.Lambert and engraved this time by Jean Pheulpin.

The final stamp in the set and the top value of 500f SG11 is 'Thesium Tencio' again designed by P. Lambert but this time engraved by Charles Mazelin

Enjoy!

Jon

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

A last quick one before I go offline for a few days....another Slania and a fabulous one at that. Found in a £3 bag of Swedish used from the club auction along with loads of other line engraved which I will pop up here when I get back...

Sweden SG710 1972. Love this!

Jon

5tamper
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 5tamper »

Some of the Austrian stamps shown in this thread are wonderful. Art in their own right. Maybe time to get another album.
5tamper - I'll swap some aussie for machins. First Big Goal down the track - get 100,000 people collecting
Simplified Australia then ... No I didn't get any 2016 Adelaide CPS - only just got my first from 1994.

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

aardvark - You're welcome. I would agree that those two works by Rouault translate well especially well on tiny stamp "canvases."

And now to wrap up American Red Cross Month, here are images of the two semi-postal (charity) stamps in a set featuring works by famous French artists, designed and engraved by Jules Piel, and issued by France on December 8, 1956, Scott Nos. B309 & B310, Y&T Nos. 1089 & 1090.

- nethryk

Peasant Boy, after a painting by Louis Le Nain (c.1593-1648).

Gilles (costumed as a Pierrot), after a painting (c. 1718-19) by Jean-Antoine Watteau (1684-1721).

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Denmark showed off its Central Post Office on a postage stamp issued on 12 September 2012. I have not been able to determine the name of the engraver.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

KevinHedley - The "MM" on your fine Denmark Post Office stamp is none other than Martin Mörck. No foolin'! :)

In the USA, April is National Financial Literacy Month, so all this month I will be posting images of stamps concerning money matters. To lead off, here is an image of one depicting a bank book, hands and coins, designed and engraved by Albert Decaris, and issued by Burkina Faso (Upper Volta) on August 22, 1967 to publicize the National Savings Bank, Scott No. 179.

- nethryk

onlykiloware
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by onlykiloware »

I really like this 2010 Swedish 12kr stamp, engraved by Michael Mörck. Does anyone know the significance of the lizard and the creature on the right (a pig?)

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

onlykiloware wrote:I really like this 2010 Swedish 12kr stamp, engraved by Michael Mörck. Does anyone know the significance of the lizard and the creature on the right (a pig?)

This stamp (and the rest of the set) was posted in 2010 on page 7 of this thread and the same question was asked. This was the result of my research.

Swedish Post says:

One new feature of the Swedish Castles & Palaces booklet is that the five stamps are engraved and printed on self-adhesive paper. It is also the premier of an international denomination on selfadhesive stamps, a combination that has been sought after by both agents and customers.

This is an edited version of the description supplied by Swedish Post. It answers the questions asked in the posts above:

The Swedish Castles & Palaces issue is Eva Wilsson's (born 1976) third stamp issue within a period of one year.

Before she started to sketch the actual stamps, she traveled around to each castle and palace to get a feel for their atmosphere and identified a single angle of approach that she then consistently followed in all five of the pictures.

The more you observe the buildings, both from the outside and the inside, the more details you discover. "The buildings themselves are magnificent and as a contrast to this I have chosen to highlight different attributes that visually complement the buildings. On the stamp for Ulriksdal Palace you can see a little salamander crawling along the framework. It can be found on a sculpture of a wild boar by Carl Milles in the palace grounds, which is also depicted," says Eva Wilsson.

The famous rhododendrons that the crown princess Margareta brought home from England in 1907 and planted are used to complement Sofiero Palace. There are also pictures of plants - artichokes from the herb garden - on the stamp of Läckö Castle.

A painting of a soldier from the 1500s complements the picture of Vadstena Castle. "At Tjolöholm Castle there are many sculptures of animals from fairy tales. The bird I included on the stamp is located at the edge of a fireplace in one of the rooms of the castle," says Eva Wilsson.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Thank you nethryk for confirming that Martin Mörck was the engraver on that stamp from Denmark. I thought it was him but could not find confirmation.

Now we turn to Ľubomír Žálec, the engraver on a postage stamp issued on 14 September 2012 by Slovakia. It shows 'Beauties of Our Homeland - The Basilica of Our Lady of Sorrows in Sastin'.

Here is the information supplied by the postal authority:

A wooden statue of Pieta was the gift donated by countess Czobor in 1564 and this statue became an object of folk worship. In 1732 the Šaštín Pieta was accepted as merciful and its public worshiping was approved. The Pauline order was asked to take care of the modest chapel with the statue and later they built a monumental cathedral in the Late Baroque style and adjoining monastery with the support of noble donors. The sculptural group of the Šaštín Pieta was festively moved on the marble main altar in 1762. Empress Maria Theresa had this altar built at her own expense. According to the project of F. A. Hillebrandt in 1769 – 1770 perimeter walls of the chancel with oratory were adapted and the concept of the main altar with the Pieta statue on the high tabernacle with couple of worshiping angels and cross with sagging scarf in the background were changed. It was broaden by statues of St. John the Evangelist and St. Mary Magdalene.

Imperial court painter and theatre decorator with Lorraine origins, Jean Joseph Chamant designed and realised with his helpers an illusive fresco painting creating majestic cathedral interior in 1754 – 1757. He placed figural scenes into masterfully placed illusive architectonic decoration of arches. They create an illusion of vertical breaks of the real space of vault fields into heavenly heights by painting means. Floating angels in the heaven bear tools of the Christ crucifixion and accompany the majestic personification of the Church with the symbol of Eucharist. On the vault of chancel the Celebration of the Father God on the heaven is depicted and on the vault over the organ choir the Heavenly Concert is depicted. An illusive fresco painting is also on vaults of six side chapels.

The tradition of the pilgrimage lasted even after the cancellation of the Pauline order in 1786. The importance of Šaštín as a pilgrim site was enhanced when the Virgin Mary of Seven Grievances was proclaimed the Patron of Slovakia by decree of the Holy See on 22nd April 1927. Besides the ecclesiastic, religious and cultural importance of Šaštín as a pilgrim site, the monastery and monumental cathedral is also a complex with historical monuments that belong to the most valuable masterpieces of the Late Baroque architecture and art with Central European significance.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Florian
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Florian »

KevinHedley - The Šaštín Piety statue or Our Lady of Sorrows - Patron Saint of Slovakia can be viewed on
http://www.telecom.gov.sk/externe/znamky/1998/98161e.html

Florian

Post by Florian »

The information on the Print Technology of the Šaštín Piety statue stamp "Rotary-recess printing combined with recess-printing" is wrong. It should read "Recess printing from flat plates", the same technology as with the relevant FDC. I am sorry.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Thanks Florian.

Martin Mörck is to the fore again having designed a set of Permanent Value postage stamps for Monaco. The five stamps were issued on 1 December 2012 and they have identical designs with different values and different colours. Here is an example of the stamps which feature H.S.H. Prince Albert II.

Here to learn
Here to enjoy

onlykiloware

Post by onlykiloware »

Thanks for the very useful info KevinHedley! I'd actually searched the forum for "Swedish" but not "Sweden" so your page 7 post did not appear in my results, a lesson there that I need to broaden my search terms a little before posting :)

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Financial Literacy Month: Itanos was an ancient Greek city in Crete, mentioned by Herodotos in his History. Here is an image of a stamp depicting a coin of Itanos featuring a portrait of Triton, engraved and printed by Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co., and issued for use in Crete (then under British administration) on February 15, 1905, Scott No. 78, SG No. 105.

- nethryk

PS Triton is a mythological Greek god, the messenger of the seas. He is the son of Poseidon, god of the sea, and Amphitrite, goddess of the sea, whose herald he is. Triton is usually represented as a merman, having the upper body of a human and the tail of a fish, "sea-hued," according to Ovid "his shoulders barnacled with sea-shells." Some Stampboarders (of a certain age) may recall Triton's helpful role in the 1963 movie classic Jason and the Argonauts, featuring special effects by Ray Harryhausen; see the motion picture still photo below of Triton holding back the "Clashing Rocks" to allow the Argo safe passage on the voyage to Colchis.

ImageImage

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

The Czech Republic issued a postage stamp, engraved by Jaroslav Tvrdoň, on 20 January 2013 featuring The Tradition of Czech Stamp Design - Ivan Strnad.

The newly outlined Tradition of Czech Stamp Design issue commemorates another significant stamp designer, Ivan Strnad. The stamp shows a portrait of Ivan Strnad; a part of the mirrored motif which first appeared on a 1975 postal stationery item commemorating the 50th anniversary of the launch of automated telephone operation in Czechoslovakia, placed in the left-hand side; and a female nude from the 30h stamp Intersputnik issued in 1974, placed in the right-hand side.

Czech graphic artist and teacher Ivan Strnad was born on 3 April 1926 in Prague and died in January 2005. He created many Czechoslovak and Czech stamps and commemorative coins. He was a member of the associations of Czech graphic artists “Hollar” and “Grafis”.

Ivan Strnad taught students in a special applied graphic arts studio at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague where he later became an associate professor. He was the author of stamp designs, illustrations, applied graphics and graphic designs, architectural works, textile works and medals. His work includes over 100 Czechoslovak stamps, banknotes, a number of company logos and more than 20 share warrants. He excelled in free graphic art, dry needle and engraving; figure compositions were also among his favourite disciplines.

During his lifetime he won many awards for his works of art. Most of them came for his stamp designs (1964: 2nd prize for the stamps 20 Years of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic; 1966: 1st prize for the stamp series Vanguard 65; 1967, 1970-1972, 1974, 1975: various Best Stamp of the Year awards) and the most beautiful banknotes (1980: the 500 Kčs banknote).
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Florian

Post by Florian »

An error occurs on the above stamp dedicated to the Tradition of Czech Stamp Design and honouring Ivan Strnad. The stamp gives year of death as 2005 even though the graphic artist died on Dec. 28, 2004.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Jesuit Ruins

I was sorting a "junk" box and found this rather nice stamp from Paraguay, printed in France. I can't see an engraver's name on it anywhere.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

The Czech Republic issued a postage stamp on 6 March 2013 showing Folk Architecture. The engraver is Bohumil Šneider.

Cottage No. 451 in Nový Hrozenkov township, Vsetín district Nový Hrozenkov is a township located alongside the Vsetín and Velké Karlovice road in the Vsetínská Bečva river valley. Preserved almost in its middle is a group of timbered cottages amidst a senseless modern neighbourhood.

Cottage No. 451 dates back to 1835. The timbered structure of three chambers has two gables and an undergable. The gable casing is covered with so-called lathe trim. The whitewashed northern gable, facing the township, boasts painted ornaments under the hood and an inscription with the builder’s name. The windows are also decorated with whitewashed shaped ornaments superstitiously believed to protect the house. The cottage is oriented perpendicular to a change in level of the terrain; the southern gable wall is erected on high supporting stonework which also hides a cellar. The stamp portrays this side of the cottage. The complete composition also contains two wooden beehives.

Since 1977, the cottage has been used as a museum of Antonín Strnadel, a major painter and illustrator whose work celebrates the region.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Florian

Post by Florian »

Even the official information on "The Tradition of Czech Stamp Design - Ivan Strnad" issue is plagued with error.

Paragraph 4 of it is not concerned with prizes awarded to Ivan Strnad but, strangely enough, to another Czech designer of postage stamps, Jaroslav Lukavský (1924 - 1984).

Ivan Strnad (1926 - 2004) designed 79 postage stamps between 1954 and 1994. The very first design of his that captured Czechoslovak collectors' attention because of its novelty was that of his stamp No. 3 issued in 1961 for the 1962 World Figure Skating Championships in Prague. It was shown by nethryk in his post on this thread of Jan. 31, 2013.

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Financial Literacy Month: Here is an image of a stamp depicting a coining press, designed by Brazilian artist Bernardino da Silva Lancetta, engraved by Mário d'Oglio, and issued by Brazil on March 24, 1936 to publicize the 1st Brazilian Numismatic Congress, held in São Paulo, Scott No. 421.

- nethryk

manrico
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by manrico »

The Spanish Nobel Prizes, Santiago Ramón y Cajal and Severo Ochoa de Albornoz, serve reason this joint issue with Sweden. The two labels have been made ​​by the renowned Polish writer, living in Sweden, Czeslaw Slania, author of more than a thousand seals for thirty countries.

Image Image

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Financial Literacy: Here are images of a couple of definitive stamps depicting early Bermudan coins known as "Hogge Mony," and portraits of Queen Elizabeth II, issued for use in Bermuda on November 9, 1953.

- nethryk

Hogge Mony, designed by James Berry, engraved and printed by Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co., Scott No. 155.

Bermudan coin, designed by C. Deakins of Hendon, London, Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, engraved and printed by Thomas De La Rue & Co., Ltd., Scott No. 160.

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Completely off the money track for now, something that I know nethryk has posted previously on the Births of a Feather thread but not here is the Golden Oriole from Sweden.

Knowing that nethryk never posts the same image in two threads I thought I would pop it in here.

Sweden SG 2391, Scott #2505 issued in 2005

Jon

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Today's offering is another Slania Swedish gem, the Travels of Carl Linne from 1978, SG961

Sumptuous engraving and razor sharp detail. What's not to like? :D

Jon

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

Here is another engraved beauty from Czechoslovakia. Issued in September 1969, this stamp (SG 1844; Pofis 1781) is one of a set marking the 20th anniversary of Tatra National Park. The park is very mountainous (obviously :wink: ) and it apparently includes more than 100 lakes. The stamp was designed by Jaroslav Lukavský and engraved by Bedrich Housa (b. 1926).

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Financial Literacy: Amathus was one of the most ancient royal cities of Cyprus, with archeological evidence dating back to the 11th century BC. Here is an image of a stamp depicting a silver coin of Amathus, which features the head and upper body of a lion, engraved and printed by Bradbury Wilkinson & Co., and issued for use in Cyprus on February 1, 1928 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of British rule, Scott No. 114.

- nethryk

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

An odd but good stamp today from Slania to celebrate the work of John Bauer

"John Bauer (June 4, 1882 – November 20, 1918) was a Swedish painter and illustrator best known for his illustrations of Bland tomtar och troll (Among Gnomes and Trolls). Princess Tuvstarr and the Fishpond"

Sweden 1982 SG1102 - "What a wretched pale creature, said the Troll Woman"

Jon

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Financial Literacy: Wheat and the emblem of the Finnish Savings Bank Association, designed by Finnish artist Aarne Karjalainen (1898-1965), engraved by Reijo Achrén, and issued by Finland on August 21, 1947 to commemorate the association's 125th anniversary, Scott No. 267, Facit No. 339.

- nethryk

Dave.mbe
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Dave.mbe »

Great thread; I just found it and spent the last 4 hours going page by page.
I didn't see this one which is one of my favorites.

I was also very proud seeing and reading the great comments about so many beautiful engraved Canadian pieces.
Dave

--- where do I find any other Machin-nuts here in Canada????

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Dave.mbe - Nice one! Welcome to this wonderful thread.

Financial Literacy: Here are images of the two stamps in a set designed by Icelandic artist Þröstur Magnússon, engraved by Wolfgang Seidel, and issued by Iceland on July 1, 1986 to commemorate the centenary of the National Bank of Iceland, Scott Nos. 626 & 627, Facit Nos. 689 & 690.

- nethryk

Bank Headquarters, Reykjavik

Banknote (reverse) of 1928

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

Welcome Dave.mbe - yes, it's easy to spend hours (happy ones) looking through this excellent thread... :D
Nethryk - great images, as always. Wonderful patterns (Celtic?) on that Icelandic stamp.

This engraved stamp (SG 2934; Pofis 2847) from Czechoslovakia was issued for the Praga 1988 international stamp exhibition. It's one of a series depicting the fountains of Prague. Designer: R. Vaněk. Engraving is by V. Fajt, a new name to me and I can't find any information on him/her. Anyone??

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

aardvark - Thanks. Yes, the intricate patterns on that Iceland banknote would be sure to discourage all but the most determined forgers!

Václav Fajt (1952- ) was educated at Turnov Art School. Since 1973, he has worked in the State Printing Works of Securities in Prague. Because Fajt did not belong to the (Communist) Union of Artists, it was not until the early 1980s, when replacements were required after the death of famous engravers such as Jindra Schmidt and Ladislav Jirka, that he was allowed to demonstrate his engraving skills on issued postage stamps. Here are images of four more Czechoslovakia and Czech Republic stamps engraved by Václav Fajt.

- nethryk

Chessboard and emblem, designed by Czech artist Anna Podzemna-Suchardova (1909-1991), combined engraved and photogravure, and issued on April 13, 1985 to commemorate the National Chess Organization's 80th anniversary, Scott No. 2557.

Karlova (Charles) University and fountain, designed by Czech graphic designer Rostislav Vaněk, combined engraved and photogravure, issued on June 1, 1988, Scott No. 2707.

International Year of the Family, designed by A. Fuchs, combined engraved and photogravure, and issued on January 19, 1994, Scott No. 2911.

"Amorfa-Dvoubarevná fuga," designed after a work (1912) by Czech painter and graphic artist František Kupka (1871-1957), multicolored engraved, issued on June 17, 1998, Scott No. 3054.

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

Many thanks, Nethryk. You always seem to be able to find information that I haven't found! :D
Thanks for posting more of Fajt's work. I've recently bought several mixed lots of Czechoslovakian stamps (they are quite cheap - thanks eBay!) and haven't had time to sort them all yet, so I don't know what I might find....

aardvark

Post by aardvark »

I don't have many Czech Republic stamps (yet!) but here are two nice ones (SG 75-76) issued in March 1995. Both designed by A. Fuchs; engravers are B. Šneider (40h) and Václav Fajt (60h). These seem to have been the only stamps issued in this series, though the Stanley Gibbons catalogue (Part 5, 6th edn.) has left numbers 'for possible additions to this series'.

I'd welcome more information on Šneider - and on whether any more stamps were ever issued in this series. Nethryk? Anyone? :)

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”