Engraved Stamp Beauties

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Engraved Stamp Beauties

Post by RogerE »

Beautiful stamps, thanks Arsdorf :D To coin a phrase for their quality:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 9.02.13 pm.png
/RogerE ;)

AdmiralCollector
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by AdmiralCollector »

The US 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition stamps were originally planned to be issued as bi-colored stamps, however, at the last moment, they were issued as monochrome stamps. But the 1998 reprints were reissued as bi-colored stamps. These stamps have long been recognized by stamp collectors as superb examples of the engraver's art -- especially the $1.00 denomination which is often said to be the most beautiful stamp issued by the US.
-
Scott #3209a: Marquette on the Mississippi.
Scott #3209a: Marquette on the Mississippi.
Scott #3209b: Mississippi River Bridge.
Scott #3209b: Mississippi River Bridge.
Scott #3209c: Indian Hunting Buffalo.
Scott #3209c: Indian Hunting Buffalo.
Scott #3209d: Fremont on Rocky Mountains.
Scott #3209d: Fremont on Rocky Mountains.
Scott #3209e: Troops Guarding Train.
Scott #3209e: Troops Guarding Train.
Scott #3209f: Hardships of Emigration.
Scott #3209f: Hardships of Emigration.
Scott #3209g: Western Mining Prospector.
Scott #3209g: Western Mining Prospector.
Scott#3209h: Western Cattle in Storm.
Scott#3209h: Western Cattle in Storm.
Scott #3209i: Harvesting in the West.
Scott #3209i: Harvesting in the West.

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Although they are nice designs and appropriate to the printing process used, I wouldn't say they were the most attractive US stamps. But there again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Eli »

lesbootman wrote:
04 Dec 2020 23:07
Although they are nice designs and appropriate to the printing process used, I wouldn't say they were the most attractive US stamps. But there again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Thanks arsdorf for posting the Luxembourg stamp with the die proof and color assays. Very nice collection. Thanks for the links too.

Thanks AdmiralCollector, you share with us these beautiful US engraved stamps.

lesbootman, Agree with you that there are other more attractive US engraved stamps but I think the 1$ stamp is among the most attractive and great engraved stamps US ever issued. But, as you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :)

Eli

Post by Eli »

Paintings from different galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 27, 1970:

Mother and Child, by Mikuláš Galanda (1895-1938), Slovak National Gallery, engraved by Bedřich Housa:

Czechoslovakia 1970 Galanda a.jpg

The Bridesmaid, by Karel Svolinský (1896-1986), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Ladislav Jirka
Note: Karel Svolinský designed many Czechoslovakian stamps like the birds set I posted in the birds thread, National costumes sets I posted in the folklore thread and many others. A stamp for his honor was issued by the Czech Republic in 2016

Czechoslovakia 1970 Svolinsky a.jpg

Walk by Night, by František Hudeček (1909-1990), engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír:

Czechoslovakia 1970 Hudecek a.jpg

Banská Bystrica Market, by Dominik Skutecký (1849-1921), Slovak National Gallery, engraved by Jindra Schmidt:
Banská Bystrica is a city in central Slovakia located on the Hron River where Dominik Skutecký lived for several years.

Czechoslovakia 1970 Skutecky a.jpg

Adoration of the Kings, Vyšehrad Codex (Codex Vyssegradensis), Czech National Library, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1970 Vysehradsky a.jpg

xxx  Skutecký.jpg

turtle-bienhoa

Post by turtle-bienhoa »

Monaco - MC BL79 - Construction Projects in Monaco
Monaco - MC BL79 - Construction Projects in Monaco
Searching for musical instruments, Lions International, Rotary International, the sport of cricket, non-rectangular stamps, and PIGS. OINK!

Eli

Post by Eli »

Xin Chào, turtle-bienhoa!!! :) :)

Great Monaco sheet, thanks! Is it engraved?

Eli

turtle-bienhoa

Post by turtle-bienhoa »

I checked it and it says it's printed by photogravure... So, probably not.
Here's another for compensation (recess this time):
Monaco - MC BL78 - Stamps featuring Prince Rainier III
Monaco - MC BL78 - Stamps featuring Prince Rainier III
Searching for musical instruments, Lions International, Rotary International, the sport of cricket, non-rectangular stamps, and PIGS. OINK!

Eli

Post by Eli »

turtle-bienhoa wrote:
10 Dec 2020 00:00
Thanks, Turtle-bienhoa, for the information and for the great Prince Rainier III sheet with great engraving by the master Czesław Słania. Here is another one from Monaco commemorating the 350th anniversary of the birth of Jean de la Fontaine, designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued on January 18, 1972:

Monaco 1971 Fontaine a.jpg

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

turtle-bienhoa wrote:
10 Dec 2020 00:00
Don't feel too bad about it. I bought that sheet online without checking it properly and it was only when it arrived that I realised it was photogravure, Monaco wasted a good opportunity there to have a nice engraved sheet.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

The Monaco La Fontaine commemorative is outstanding :D Thanks Eli.
To coin a phrase, it's fabulous ;)

/RogerE :D

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks, Roger! Indeed, the La Fontaine stamp is stunning and very attractive (work of Gandon!!!) and is one of the best in my daughter Fairy Tales' collection she used to collect as a young girl (but not anymore :( )

Václav Hollar, known also as Wenceslaus Hollar (23 July 1607 – 25 March 1677) was a prolific and accomplished Bohemian graphic artist of the 17th century, who spent much of his life in England. He is particularly noted for his engravings and etchings. He was born in Prague, died in London, and was buried at St Margaret's Church, Westminster. The Výtvarná škola Václava Hollara (Wenceslaus Hollar Secondary School of Art), a High School of Arts and Higher Art School in Prague, is named after him.

Here are four stamps issued by Czechoslovakia show Hollar artworks, all four are exhibited in the National Gallery, Prague:

Self-portrait, engraved by Bedřich Housa and issued on November 24, 1977:

Czechoslovakia 1977 Hollar a.jpg

Spring, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír and issued on December 8, 1966:

Czechoslovakia 1966 Hollar a.jpg

Lady with Fur Cap, engraved by Bedřich Housa and issued on November 27, 1972:

Czechoslovakia 1972 Hollar a.jpg

View of Prague from Petrin Hill (Detail), engraved by Bedřich Housa and issued on November 27, 1981:

Czechoslovakia 1981 Hollar a.jpg

Wenceslas_Hollar_-_Spring.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

More fine engraving work, thanks Eli.

My favourite among them is the 1966 issue
Jaro z cyklu roční dobí 1641 Spring, from Cycle of the Seasons, 1641.
The complementary depiction of the original engraving is a nice addition to the posting.

A pity your daughter isn't currently collecting, but there's always the chance she will
rediscover an interest in stamps later in life, especially if it is rekindled spontaneously... ;)

Eli

Post by Eli »

Alfons Maria Mucha (1860 – 1939), was a Czech painter, illustrator and graphic artist, living in Paris during the Art Nouveau period, best known for his distinctly stylized and decorative theatrical posters, particularly those of Sarah Bernhardt. He produced illustrations, advertisements, decorative panels, and designs, which became among the best-known images of the period.

In the second part of his career, at the age of 43, he returned to his homeland of Bohemia-Moravia region in Austria and devoted himself to painting a series of twenty monumental canvases known as The Slav Epic, depicting the history of all the Slavic peoples of the world, which he painted between 1912 and 1926. In 1928, on the 10th anniversary of the independence of Czechoslovakia, he presented the series to the Czech nation. He considered it his most important work. It is now on display in Prague.

Mucha also designed banknotes and stamps for Czechoslovakia. To see the stamps he designed and many stamps depicting his artworks, please see this one frame exhibition (In Czech): ALFONS MUCHA A POŠTOVNÍ ZNÁMKY

Here are two stamps issued by Czechoslovakia show Mucha paintings:

Princess Hyacinth, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír and issued on November 29, 1968:
Oskar Nedbal's ballet-pantomime, Princess Hyacinth, premiered in 1911 at the National Theatre, Prague, with libretto by Ladislav Novák.Stamp shows Mucha's poster advertising the performance features the portrait of the popular actress Andula Sedláčková, who starred in the title role.

Czechoslovakia 1968 Mucha a.jpg

The Slavs in their Original Homeland (detail), engraved by Miloš Ondráček and issued on November 27, 1990;
Mucha chose to start his history of the Slavic people in the 4th to 6th centuries. At this time, the Slavic tribes were agricultural folk who dwelled in the marshes between the Vistula River, the Dnepr River, the Baltic Sea and the Black Sea. With no political structure to support them, their villages were under constant attack by Germanic tribes from the West who would burn their houses and steal their livestock.

The couple hiding in the bushes (not shown in the stamp) in the foreground as their village burns on the horizon are the survivors of one of these attacks. The fear and vulnerability expressed in their faces beseeches the help of the viewer. A pagan priest flanked by two youths symbolising war and peace floats in the top right of the composition. These figures foretell the peace and freedom that will come to the Slav people when independence is gained through war.

Czechoslovakia 1971 Mucha a.jpg

Alfons-Mucha.png

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hooray for Alfons Mucha! My wife and I greatly admire his work, and we
had the pleasure of seeing some originals when we visited Prague several
years ago...

The one-frame philatelic exhibit on Exponet is excellent, and I would like to
endorse Eli's post by adding my own encouragement to Stampboarders to visit
http://www.exponet.info/exhibit.php?exhibit_ID=1382&lng=EN

Two comments about that exhibit:

• The immediate link shows the 4x4 frame in one view. It is not quite obvious that viewers can
click on individual pages, wait a few moments for upload, and be rewarded with a full-screen
view of the selected page. That page-by-page view is very satisfying.

• The exhibit focuses on the first stamps of the newly independent Czechoslovakia (1918), using
the art nouveau artwork of Alfons Mucha. This is a perfectly appropriate philatelic viewpoint,
and of course proudly celebrates the achievement of national independence. On the other hand,
if you are most interested to see the poster artwork of Mucha, the exhibit has space for only a
little of that, and it is crowded into the very end of the one frame presentation.

And a general comment: Exponet is a wonderful resource, and browsing will yield
an enormous variety of philatelic viewing of very high standard. :D
http://www.exponet.info/index.php?lng=EN

Eli

Post by Eli »

Many thanks, Roger, for the comprehensive information you added to my post about Alfons Mucha! much appreciated!!

Here are four stamps show paintings by non Czech painters, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 3, 1991:

Christ, by the Spanish (Greek origin) painter Doménikos Theotokópoulos, known as El Greco (1541 - 1614), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovakia 1991 El Greco a.jpg

Family at Home, by the German painter Max Ernst (1891 – 1976), Jewish Museum, Prague, engraved by Bohumil Šneider:

Czechoslovakia 1991 Ernst a.jpg

Milenci (The Lovers), by the French painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841 – 1919), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Bedřich Housa:

Czechoslovakia 1991 Renoir a.jpg

Two Japanese Women, by the Japanese painter Kitagawa Utamaro (1753 – 1806), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1991 Utamaro a.jpg

xxx El Greco.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Rather than a halo, El Greco's rectangular lumination around Christ's head is novel
and takes our attention because it is not a conventional cliché.

I also admire Utamaro's two Japanese women. They are elegant in their features
and attire, and the composition is masterful.

Thanks Eli, you choose lovely stamps to show us.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I've got another nomination:
lb 2020 12 15 canada.jpg
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I like these two as well:
Colombia 1954 2 Pesos
Colombia 1954 2 Pesos
Colombia 1954 3 Pesos
Colombia 1954 3 Pesos

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks, Roger! :)

Paintings from Different Galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 27, 1982:

The Revolution in Spain, by Josef Šíma (1891-1971), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovaki 1982 Sima a.jpg

Woman drying Herself, by Rudolf Kremlička (1886-1932), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovaki 1982 Kremlicka a.jpg

The Girl Bride, Dezider Milly (1906-1971), Slovak National Gallery, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovaki 1982 Milly a.jpg

Oil Field Workers, by Ján Želibský (1907-1997), Slovak National Gallery, engraved by Ladislav Jirka:

Czechoslovaki 1982 Zelibsky a.jpg

The Birds Lament, by Emil Filla (1882-1953), Gallery of Fine Arts, Gottvaldov, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovaki 1982 Filla a.jpg

xxx Milly.jpg

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Honduras 1956
2020-12-18_111131 L 0 01.jpg

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Ditto.
2020-12-18_111131 L 0 15.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Paintings and sculptures from different galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 27, 1980:

Pavel Jozef Šafárik (1795-1861), by Jozef Božetech Klemens (1817-1883), Slovakia's scientific and cultural institution, Martin, Slovakia, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:
Pavel Jozef Šafárik was an ethnic Slovak philologist, poet, literary historian, historian and ethnographer in the Kingdom of Hungary. He was one of the first scientific Slavists.

Czechoslovakia 1980 Klemens a.jpg

Peasant Revolt, mosaic by Anna Podzemná-Suchardová (1909-1996), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček and issued on November 27, 1980:
Anna Podzemná-Suchardová designed many Czechoslovakian stamps, mainly sport stamps

Czechoslovakia 1980 Podzemna a.jpg

Bust of Saint from Lucivna Church, Slovak National Gallery, engraved by Ladislav Jirka:

Czechoslovakia 1980 Lucivna Church a.jpg

Waste Heaps, by Jan Zrzavý (1890-1977), Gallery of Fine Arts, Ostrava, Czech Republic, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1980 Zrzavy a.jpg

Allegory of Labour, sculpture by Jan Štursa (1880-1925), Hlávka Bridge, prague, engraved by Ladislav Jirka:

Czechoslovakia 1980 Stursa a.jpg

Jan Štursa sculpture from different angle:

xxx Stursa.jpg

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan h.jpg
00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan g.jpg
00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan f.jpg
00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan e.jpg
00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan c.jpg
00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan b.jpg
00 20 12 20 Colombia Scan a.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Paintings from different galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 27, 1972:

Nosegay, by Max Švabinský (1873 - 1962), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jindra Schmidt:

Czechoslovakia 1972 Svabinsky a.jpg

Midsummer Night's Dream, by Josef Liesler (1912 – 2005), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovakia 1972 Liesler a.jpg

Struggle of St. Ladislav with Kuman Nomad, Anonymous Painter, St. Catherine's Church (Kostol sv. Kataríny Alexandrijskej), Veľká Lomnica, Slovakia, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1972 Ladislav a.jpg

xxx Svabinsky.jpg

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Some people may not know the story about Max Svabinsky and Jindra Schmidt which is illustrated on the above stamp.

As a designer and engraver, they were a perfect match and also very close friends. After WW2, Jindra overheard someone saying that the Germans were still having a lot of influence over the Czech post office and he became sensitive about his German-spelt surname.

From then on, he signed his engravings Jindra S. which Max thought was pretty silly and they apparently argued about it for years. After Max died, as a tribute to his friend, Jindra went back to signing his full name on any stamps that Max had designed. There are quite a few that Max had designed that were issued after he died.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.

Eli

Post by Eli »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:
27 Dec 2020 18:16
Some people may not know the story about Max Svabinsky and Jindra Schmidt which is illustrated on the above stamp.
Hi James,

I am among the "Some people may not know the story" and thanks you shared it with us. I noticed that in several stamps Jindra Schmidt is written as Jindra S. but I didn't paid much attention to it since many designers and engravers used abbreviations of their names. With time I will bring more from Švabinský.

Here are more art stamps issued by Czechoslovakia on December 8, 1966:

Portrait of Hedwig Franciska Wussin, by Ján Kupecký (1667 – 1740), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír:

Czechoslvakia 1966 Kupecky a.jpg

Snowy Owl, by Karel Purkyně (1834 - 1868), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír:

Czechoslvakia 1966 Purkyne a.jpg

Bouquet of Tulips, by Václav Špála (1885 – 1946), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír:

Czechoslvakia 1966 Spala a.jpg

Recruit, by Ľudovít Fulla (1902, Ružomberok – 1980), Slovak National Gallery, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslvakia 1966 Fulla a.jpg

xxx Kupecky.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

More beauties, thanks Eli.
But I feel sad for the Snowy Owl: the artist saw its beauty,
but did the hunter only see it as a trophy‽

/RogerE

Eli

Post by Eli »

Artworks from different galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 29, 1968:

Cleopatra II, by Jan Zrzavý (1890 – 1977), engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1968 Zrzavy a.jpg

The Black Lake, by Jan Preisler (1872 - 1918), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1968 Preisler a.jpg

Giovanni Francisci as a Volunteer, by Peter Michal Bohúň (1822 - 1879), Slovak National Gallery, Bratislava, engraved by Bedřich Housa:

Czechoslovakia 1968 Bohun a.jpg

Madonna and Child, by Master Paul of Levoča, The Basilica of St. James in Levoča, Slovakia (Slovak: Bazilika svätého Jakuba), engraved by Jindra Schmidt:
Master Paul of Levoča (Slovak: Majster Pavol z Levoče) was a medieval carver and sculptor of the 15th and 16th century, active mostly in the town of Lőcse, Kingdom of Hungary (today Levoča, Slovakia).

Czechoslovakia 1968 Master of Levoca a.jpg

xxx Zrzavy.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Today, little (and short!!) break from our tour in Czechoslovakia. On October 21, 1930, Italy issued a set of 13 stamps commemorating the 2000th anniversary birth of the Roman poet Virgil. Several of the stamps are engraved, all by Corrado Mezzana. Here they are:

god Jupiter and a flying eagle symbolizing Rome. Virgil's Aeneid tells that god Jupiter decided that Rome will be an empire and will rule the world for ever. The phrase from the Aeneid reads: His ego nec metas rervm nec tempora pono; Imperium sine fine dedi (For these I set neither borders nor limits in time, dominion without end have I bestowed). These particular stamps were overprinted for use in the Aegean Islands:

Virgil Zeus 1.jpg

Virgil Zeus 2.jpg

King Turnus headed his army, prepares a war with the Aeneads. The phrase from the Aeneid reads: "Et opes nobis et adhvc intacta ivventvs" (We still have means, a manhood still unharmed). This stamp was overprinted for use in Somalia:

Virgil Turnus.jpg

"The Hearth", the phrase from Virgil's poem Bucolics reads: "Hic focvs et taedae pingves hic plvrimvs ignis" ("Here we have a hearth and pitchy brands; here a good fire ever blazing"). This stamp was overprinted for use in Somalia:

Virgil Hearth.jpg

Here is the complete set, the rest of stamps are photogravures :( :(

Page 137 - Virgil.jpg

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Corrado Mezzana was Italy's greatest stamp designer, responsible for most of the Italian Issues in the nineteen thirties and forties with the "Italy at work" series of nineteen stamps issued in 1950 being possibly his best known.
IT778.jpg
There is, however some question about whether he actually engraved any stamps. Particularly in the thirties, there are quite a few that bear his name only which would lead us to think he may have done both design and engraving as some of his stamps show him as designer (Dis) but also list an engraver (Inc).
ITEA13.jpg
His biographers seem to ignore any mention of engraving and focus purely on him as an artist, even when discussing his stamps, which seems strange if he was an engraver as well as that was a well respected occupation.

Two things (at least) are possible. One is that the secrecy that often surrounded engravers for security reasons may have caused their contribution to be left off some of the stamps. This is common on Commonwealth stamps where the designers may be known but the engravers are often not.

Alternatively, it is possible that his biographers considered engraving as a trade or craft rather than an art form and so did not mention that he also engraved, focussing on his "real" art. This was due to the fact that the engraver was not allowed artistic licence but had to copy the artist's work faithfully. I personally think that it is unlikely that they would not have mentioned it though.

This is one of those little mysteries that cause those of us who care about such things to tear out our remaining hair.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, James!!! I like your stories about the stamp designers and engraver since they add "sauce and flavor" to the posts of this thread. You mentioned the 1950 "Italy at work" (Italia al lavoro) set of stamps designed by Corrado Mezzana. This set of stamps made in year 2000 a great comeback when Italy issued a souvenir sheet shows the images of the stamps:

"Italy at work" (Italia al lavoro) SS

Eli

Post by Eli »

Back to Czechoslovakia...a set of artwork stamps issued on November 18, 1987:

Enclosure of Dreams, by Kamil Lhoták (1912 – 1990), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovakia 1987 Lhotak a.jpg

Bohemian Landscape, by Josef Lada (1887 – 1957), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1987 Lada a.jpg

Accordion Player, by Josef Čapek (1887 – 1945), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jiří Bouda:
Due to Josef Čapek critical attitude towards national socialism and Adolf Hitler, he was arrested after the German invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1939. He died in 1945 in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

Czechoslovakia 1987 Capek a.jpg

Self-portrait, by Jiří Trnka (1912 – 1969), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Václav Fajt:

Czechoslovakia 1987 Trnka a.jpg

Lhotak.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

More beauties, thanks Eli :D

The Kamil Lhoták work reminded me that my wife and I were intrigued
by a summertime weekend rally of classical motorcycle enthusiasts we
happened across in a picturesque Czech village when we visited in 2015.

Happy memories...

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks again, Roger! :)

Painting from different Galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 13, 1967:

Conjurer with Cards, by František Tichý (1896-1961), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1967 Tichy a.jpg

Don Quijote, by Cyprián Majerník (1909-1945), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír:

Czechoslovakia 1967 Majernik a.jpg

Promenade in the Park, by Norbert Grund (1717-1767), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Bedřich Housa:

Czechoslovakia 1967 Grund a.jpg

Self-Portrait, by Petr Jan Brandl (1668-1735), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír:

Czechoslovakia 1967 Brandl a.jpg

St Bartholomew and St Thomas, from Jan of Jeren Epitaph, Canon of Prague 1395, National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1967 Roku a.jpg

4444.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Paintings from different Galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 27, 1975:

May 1975, by Zdenek Sklenář (1910-1986), Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design, Prague (Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová), engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1975 Sklenar a.jpg

Woman in National Costume, by Eugen Nevan (1914 - 1967), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Jan Mráček:

Czechoslovakia 1975 Eugen Nevan a.jpg

Liberation of Prague, by Alena Čermáková (1926-2010), Czech Ministry of Culture, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1975 Cermakova a.jpg

Fire 1938, by Josef Čapek (1887-1945), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovakia 1975 Capek a.jpg

Old Prague, by Vincenc Morstadt (1802-1875), Prague City Archives (Archiv hlavního města Prahy), engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovakia 1975 Morstadt a.jpg

xxx Morstadt.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Eli, the engraved Czech art stamps continue to delight, thank you.

This time I particularly like MajMay by Zdeněk Sklenář
(because the line work is elegant and understated),
and Staré MěstoOld City [of Prague] by Vincenc Morstadt
(because the scene is pleasant, and it reminds me of actually
visiting and viewing the city from somewhere near that very spot).

Eli

Post by Eli »

RogerE wrote:
15 Jan 2021 00:05
Eli, the engraved Czech art stamps continue to delight, thank you.

Thank you very much, Roger!! glad you enjoy this thread. Actually, we are close to end our tour in Czechoslovakia. For about three decades, from 1966 until 1992, Czechoslovakia issued each year in each November a set of 3-5 art stamps shows artworks from different Czech galleries. I already posted most of them and I believe in the next 3 or 4 posts I will show the rest of the stamps of this great long set (126 stamps). Enjoy!

Eli

Post by Eli »

Paintings from different Galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia on November 24, 1977:

Fear, by Ján Mudroch (1909-1968), Bratislava City Gallery (Galéria mesta Bratislavy), engraved by Miloš Ondráček:

Czechoslovakia 1977 Mudroch a.jpg

Portrait of Ján Samuel Francisci-Rimavský (1822–1905), Slovak poet, novelist, translator, journalist and politician, by Peter Michal Bohúň (1822-1879), Slovak National Museum, Martin, engraved by Ladislav Jirka:

Czechoslovakia 1977 Bohun a.jpg

Hygieia, painting by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Herčík:

Czechoslovakia 1977 Rubens a.jpg

In Greek and Roman mythology, Hygieia was one of the Asclepiadae; the sons and daughters of the god of medicine, Asclepius, and his wife Epione. Hygieia was the goddess of health, cleanliness and hygiene. Hygieia also played an important part in her father's cult. While her father was more directly associated with healing, she was associated with the prevention of sickness and the continuation of good health. Her name is the source of the word "hygiene".

Hygeia.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Artworks from different galleries, issued by Czechoslovakia:

Medallion of the Czech Academy of Sciences and Arts (Česká akademie věd a umění), by Otakar Španiel (1881-1955), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Ladislav Jirka and issued on November 27, 1981:
Medallion shows Athena (Minerva), goddess of Wisdom, handicraft and warfare.

Czechoslovakia 1981 Spaniel a.jpg

South Bohemian Embroidery, by Zdeněk Sklenář (1910-1986), East Bohemian Gallery in Pardubice, engraved by Miloš Ondráček and issued on November 27, 1981:

Czechoslovakia 1981 Sklenar a.jpg

Young Woman in Blue Dress, by Jozef Ginovský (1800-1857), Slovak National Gallery, Bratislava, engraved by Jan Mráček and issued on November 27, 1985:

Czechoslovakia 1985 Ginovsky a.jpg

Jasper Schade van Westrum (1623-1692), by Frans Hals (1581/85-1666), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Miloš Ondráček and issued on November 27, 1985:

Czechoslovakia 1985 Hals a.jpg

xxx Ginovsky.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

As an engraved artwork, the medallion stamp by Otakar Španiel,
engraved by Ladislav Jirka, is quite stunning. The companion
stamps in that post are each fine, but I think that Španiel/Jirka easily
win that small competition :D

Eli

Post by Eli »

RogerE wrote:
20 Jan 2021 02:03
As an engraved artwork, the medallion stamp by Otakar Španiel,
engraved by Ladislav Jirka, is quite stunning. The companion
stamps in that post are each fine, but I think that Španiel/Jirka easily
win that small competition :D

Thanks, Roger! Since one of my main collections is "Mythologies of the World on Stamps", I too like the medallion stamp by Otakar Španiel shows goddess Athena (Minerva). Did you notice that the snake-haired Medusa depicted on the medallion bottom? In Greek mythology, Medusa was a beautiful maiden seduced by Poseidon in a temple of Athena. Such a sacrilege attracted the goddess' wrath, and she punished Medusa by turning her hair to snakes.

xxx Spaniel.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Goodbye Donald Trump - Welcome Joe Biden!!

Sesquicentennial of the Inauguration of Washington as First President - April 30, 1939:

USA 1939 Innauguration.jpg

Long May It Wave - July 4, 1957:

USA 1957 Flag.jpg

The Four Freedoms: Freedom of Speech and Religion, from Want and Fear - February 12, 1943:

USA 1943 Freedoms.jpg

Liberty - 1954:

USA 1954 Liberty.jpg

Liberty - April 28, 1956:

USA 1956 Liberty.jpg

USA 1939 Innauguration a.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Nice topical/thematic posting, Eli.
Let all nations desire and seek visionary leadership, inspired by the ideals
of freedom of speech and religion, and freedom from want and fear.
/RogerE

Ideals for all, worth a second posting:
USA 1943 Freedoms.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

RogerE wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:52
Nice topical/thematic posting, Eli.
Let all nations desire and seek visionary leadership, inspired by the ideals
of freedom of speech and religion, and freedom from want and fear.
/RogerE
Thank you very much, Roger! this slogan "Freedom of speech and religion, and freedom from want and fear" appears again on US stamp issued in 1945 to commemorate president Roosevelt.

Ammonites are the extinct relatives of sea creatures such as the modern Nautilus. Ammonites lived during the periods of the Jurassic and Cretaceous, 140 to 66 million years ago. They became extinct at the end of the Cretaceous Period, at roughly the same time as the dinosaurs disappeared. Ammonites are commonly found as fossils, formed when the remains or traces of the animal became buried sediment that later solidified into rock. Here is a group of engraved stamps shows Ammonite fossils:

Berbericeras sekikensis, issued by Algeria on August 11, 1952 to publicize the 19th International Geological Convention, Algiers:

Algeria 1952 Ammonite.jpg

Ammonite fossil, issued by Cuba on August 29, 1958 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of De La Torre, Cuban natural scientist:

Cuba 1958 Amonite.jpg

Ammonite fossils, designed by M. Siegel, engraved by Wolfgang Seidel and issued by Austria on November 12, 1999 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Federal Geological Institute:

Austria 1999 Geology.jpg

Ammonite fossil drawn by Ole Worm (1588-1654), Danish physician, natural historian and antiquary, designed by Keith Bassford, engraved by Arne Kuhlmann and issued by Denmark on November 5, 1998:

Danmark 1998 Fossils 1.jpg

Fossils, designed by Jan Kavan, engraved by Miloš Ondráček and issued by the Czech Republic on June 23, 1999 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Joachim Barrande (1799-1883), a French geologist and palaeontologist, researcher of the fossils from the Lower Palaeozoic rocks of Bohemia:

Czech Republic 1999 Barandin.jpg

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

Listed this for sale today, struck me as a fine example, a lot of detail and some nice decoration I thought.

Stamp: Nigeria KGV 1936 2s6d 2/6 Black Ultramarine Victoria-Buea Road SG42
Stamp: Nigeria KGV 1936 2s6d 2/6 Black Ultramarine Victoria-Buea Road SG42
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”