The Gift of Life - Blood and Organ Donation in philately

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

Canada stamper
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: The Gift of Life - Blood and Organ Donation in philately

Post by Canada stamper »

I was at a medical conference in Atlanta, Georgia last week and had time to make a brief visit to a stamp shop before catching my flight home (thanks to pookie9121 and jbcev80's recommendation on The Good Stamp Shop Guide thread :D ) The shop, Stamps Unlimited, was luckily just a 5 minute walk from my hotel. The owner Tony Roozen is very friendly and I wish I'd had more time to browse through his huge inventory.

As it was, I had about an hour and looked through maybe half of his cover boxes. Here's what I found:

A wonderful little pictorial aerogram sent from Argentina to the US on the first day of issue (Dec 20, 1958) of the Leukemia Foundation semi-postal stamp, with a Christmas message inside:

ImageImage
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I also found this redirected cover sent from Yugoslavia to Professor Normal Allinger, an American computational chemist who was on faculty at Wayne State University in Michigan before moving to the University of Georgia in Athens in 1969. There is a faint CDS from Zagreb dated 28 IV 1971. The slogan cancel in the top left corner bears the logo of Yugoslav Railways (Jugoslavenske Željeznice), and proclaims in Croatian "ZELJEZNICOM UVIJEK / SIGURNO I UDOBNO" (RAILWAYS ALWAYS / SAFELY AND COMFORTABLY). The US arrival cancel has the slogan STRIKE BACK AT CANCER / GIVE / AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY.

ImageImage

OK, I know it's not directly related to blood or organ donation, but I couldn't resist it, especially after I saw the contents of the envelope, a letter dated 27 April 1971, thanking Professor Allinger for the book that he sent. There is a notation, presumably by someone in Professor Allinger's office: "You just let him borrow the book!" :shock:

I may just have to start a side collection on anti-cancer stamps and covers! 8)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

sksondhi1
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by sksondhi1 »

You are doing a great service by presenting blood donation related philatelic material in an ordered way. I am simply supplementing it. Here is an interesting maxim card with stamp and cancellation on Dr. Albert Hustin of Belgium, who discovered in 1914 that sodium citrate kept stored blood from coagulating (already discussed by you on this thread in earlier posts).

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

On 15 April 1980, Israel issued these 2 stamps and a souvenir sheet to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Magen David Adom:

Image Image

The Hebrew writing on the first stamp (read right to left) translates as “50 Years Magen David Adom – Blood Services”

Magen David Adom is Israel's national emergency medical, disaster, ambulance and blood bank service. The name means "Red Star of David" (literally, "Red Shield of David"). Since June 2006, Magen David Adom has been officially recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) as the national aid society of the state of Israel under the Geneva Conventions, and a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

A Magen David Adom ambulance in June 1948

The Magen David Adom organization was formed by nurse Karen Tenenbaum in 1930 as a volunteer association with a single branch in Tel Aviv. After opening branches in Jerusalem and Haifa, it was extended nationwide five years later. On 12 July 1950, the Knesset passed a law making official Magen David Adom's status as Israel's national emergency service. Magen David Adom’s objectives include maintaining a storage service of blood, plasma and their by-products, and operating a program in which volunteers are trained in first aid, basic and advanced life support including Mobile Intensive Care Units (featured on the second stamp).

Until 2006, Magen David Adom was denied membership in the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement since it had refused to replace its red Star of David emblem with a pre-approved symbol.

The reason for the denial of membership was concerns about symbol proliferation; at the same 1929 conference which granted use of the Red Crescent and Red Lion and Sun, a limitation was placed on acceptance of any further emblems. The Red Star of David symbol was not submitted to the ICRC until 1931.

Image Image Image

On December 7, 2005, a new protective emblem was introduced, dubbed the "Red Crystal" and hailed as a truly universal emblem free of religious, ethnic, or political connotation. This paved the way for the recognition and admission of Magen David Adom as a full member of the International Federation, as the new rules allowed it to continue using the Red Star of David when operating within Israel and provided a solution for its missions abroad. Although Magen David Adom only recently gained official recognition, it took part in many international activities, in cooperation with both the ICRC and the Federation, prior to its official recognition.

The second part of the inscription on the stamp with the ambulance is a shortened version of a passage from the Jerusalem Talmud, the book of Jewish law.

This is the full passage:

"Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world."

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Here's a registered cover sent from Israel to Germany in 1980, franked with one of the Magen David Adom stamps, among others:

ImageImage

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

Recently while searching the web, I cam across a prestige booklet which was issued on 20th May 2011 for the National Union of Associations of blood donors by La Poste and France Telecom. There are 8 stamps, each valid for priority letter 20g. They were printed in 50000 copies and sold at a price of EUR 4.70 (face value 4.64 euros). The booklet was not sold at philatelic bureau, but was offered to companies. A cancellation was also provided (Fig 1-5).

Fig 1(Page 1 of booklet)

Fig 2 (Page 2)

Fig 3 (page 3)

Fig 4 (page 4)

Fig 5 (Special cancellation)

However, I am unable to locate these stamps from the official websites of La Poste as well as WADP (World Association of Development of Philately). Can anyone following this thread enlighten us about this booklet?

(I don't know French language)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Satish I've sent you an email about this booklet. I've been looking to get one for my collection as well.

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

An update on the France booklet that sksondhi1 asked about - according to a collector friend in France, they are personalized stamps specially commissioned by the Association of Blood Donors of the Post and France Telecom for their 60th anniversary and are not part of the official stamp program of the French Post.

Here's a larger image of the stamps:

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Got this great cover from Raz this week.

ImageImage

It is franked with 4 copies of the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre Charity Stamp. The stamps were issued in sheetlets of 10 stamps sold for $8, with $2 from the sale of each sheetlet donated to the Centre. Olivia Newton-John was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992 and that same weekend her father died from liver cancer. The Cancer and Wellness Centre that she lends her name to is located at the Austin Hospital in Heidelberg, Melbourne. It is dedicated to providing the very best in medical care and treatment; combined with research programs to find new treatments in the fight against cancer.

Patients undergoing cancer treatment are frequent recipients of blood transfusions. Thanks a bunch for this cover Ron, it will go nicely in my collection. :D :D :D

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

To continue with 1980 stamp issues...

On 27 August 1980, Papua New Guinea issued this set of 4 stamps to promote blood donation:

The high value stamp highlights the individual components that can be derived from a single donation of blood. Whole blood is made up of cells (red cells, white blood cells, and platelets) and liquid (plasma). Red cells (which carry oxygen) and platelets (required for proper blood clotting) are separated out for transfusion; white blood cells can cause transfusion reactions and are discarded. Plasma contains proteins, including those important for blood clotting (such as fibrinogen), vitamins and minerals. The most abundant protein in plasma is albumin, which constitutes about half of the plasma protein and maintains osmotic pressure, among other functions. S.P.P.S. (Stable Plasma Protein Solution) is similar to a 5% albumin solution.

This stamp also depicts the 4 major ABO blood groups: O, A, B, and AB (in order of frequency); frequencies vary from country to country.

Here's a FDC for this issue (thanks imworld! :D )

ImageImage
Last edited by Canada stamper on 31 Dec 2012 14:00, edited 2 times in total.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Here are a couple of commercial covers franked with the PNG blood donation stamps:

An airmail cover sent from Madang (postmarked DOGURA) to New York, USA

A domestic cover postmarked POPONDETTA and sent to Lae, the second-largest city in PNG
ImageImage

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

On 16 June 1980 Togo issued 2 stamps for the Togolese Red Cross:

Image Image
The airmail stamp shows a patient receiving a blood transfusion.

Here's a commercial cover from 1984 sent to Mr. Alphonse Wissler, Grand rue, Eguisheim, France. The other stamps are from a long set issued 1980-1981 depicting market activities.

ImageImage

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Well, as 2012 draws to a close, I'm about halfway through the blood donation stamp issues. Besides the rest of the stamps on this topic, I still have many other items to show you, including pre-stamped blood donation clinic appointment cards from GB, Canada and the US, slogan postmarks and meter cancels, commercial covers, postal stationery, and also many stamp issues related to organ donation. I think these will keep me going for a while!

I'd like to leave you tonight with a poem written by SB member and blood donor Drew Thompson (posted here with his permission):

Keep well and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2013! :D

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

For the first post of 2013, here's an interesting item that's a little different from what I've shown you so far on this thread.

ImageImage

It's a shipping manifest (VERZENDINGS-BULLETIN) from Belgium, franked with 3 Railway stamps to cover the 189F shipping cost, and sent from Duffel to Antwerp (Antwerpen) on 22 VIII 75.

The connection to blood donation? The goods being shipped are described as 1 Carton Blood (Dutch: Bloed) weighing 800 g, sent from St. Norbertus Kliniek, Rooienberg, Duffel to the Blood Transfusion Service (Bloedtransfusiedienst), Belgielei 34 (current location of Red Cross Central Dispatch in Antwerp). Sint-Norbertus is a psychiatric hospital. I can only speculate that blood intended for transfusion at the hospital was not used and was therefore returned to the Red Cross for re-distribution. A single unit of red blood cells weighs between 200 and 250 g, so this could have been 1 or 2 units plus refrigerated packing materials. The distance from Duffel to Antwerp is about 20 kms.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Here are a couple of used covers franked with stamps I've already shown you in this thread.

First, an airmail cover from Liberia addressed to the IYS in Finland and franked with a stamp depicting then-President William Richard Tolbert, Jr., urging blood donation:

ImageImage

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

The second is one of my favourite covers. It is an airmail Registered Express cover from Ethiopia sent from Assab to Addis Ababa, franked with one of the "Call of the Motherland" stamps issued in 1978, showing a soldier donating blood. Only 60,000 copies of this set were printed, so I would imagine that commercial covers are not common. The cover is addressed to the Derg Headquarters.

The Derg (ደርግ) is the short name of the Coordinating Committee of the Armed Forces, Police, and Territorial Army that ruled Ethiopia between 1974 to 1987. It took power following the ousting of Emperor Haile Selassie I. Soon after it was established, the committee was formally renamed the Provisional Military Administrative Council, but continued to be known popularly as "the Derg".

On the front the Amharic text is row by row:

To Democratic Ethiopia (ኢትዮጵያ)
Provisional Military Government
DERG Head Office
Addis Ababa (አዲስ አበባ)

ImageImage

On the back are the names of two men, Afework Damtena and Alemu Telahun (probably soldiers), and "Assab" (ዓሰብ), a port city and former military base which is now part of Eritrea.

ImageImage

I think I will have to incorporate this cover somehow into my budding exhibit (and by budding, I mean that I'm contemplating putting one together, maybe... :D)

new12collector
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by new12collector »

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

new12collector wrote:Perhaps this would be of interest to you?
Yes indeed! Thanks Benjamin. I would not have found it in my searches as the seller did not include the word "Blood" in his title or description. Here's a picture of the cover in case the eBay link goes dead:

I have an example of this slogan as a postmark, but I don't have the meter cancel. :D

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

Here are some first day covers / special covers with stamps already discussed by Jean on this thread.

1. Pakistan (1972)

2. Japan (1974)

3. Romania (1976)

The stamps were issued in April, 1976.

4. Spain (1976)

5. Togo (1980)

mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

Canada stamper wrote:Image

I have an example of this slogan as a postmark, but I don't have the meter cancel. :D
Just a note -- if that's anything like GB stuff (and I'm fairly confident it is), then that's not a meter mark? It looks like a mark for a bulk posting paid in cash, made by using the normal cancelling machine with red ink instead of black (a UPU requirement for these postage paid marks) and a different dater die. There are "gripper" bars to the right of the slogan -- used so the machine got a good grip on the leading edge of the envelope when lots of mail was being fed through at high speed. (Not that necessary for a postage meter.)

Also, a quick Google suggests that Brigden were (and are?) an accountancy firm -- no particular reason for them to be plugging blood donation, but it makes sense if this is the Post Office machine. (Slogans wouldn't always be used for this, but if you were setting up the machine for a special run, it might well be more convenient to leave the slogan canceller die in place, especially when -- as here, but not with GB ones -- the amount paid was in the dater die.)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

As I am a postal history neophyte, can you please explain the difference between a postage meter mark and postage paid marks (maybe better in it's own thread or perhaps there is a thread already?). From what you wrote, I infer that the latter are made at the post office whereas the former are used by private businesses on their outgoing mail. Also it seems that postage paid marks can be found without an accompanying slogan. But I thought that the normal post office cancelling machine would not have the amount paid in the dater die?

Should I be differentiating between these 2 types of slogan cancels for my thematic collection?

Jean

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

Canada stamper wrote:As I am a postal history neophyte, can you please explain the difference between a postage meter mark and postage paid marks (maybe better in it's own thread or perhaps there is a thread already?). From what you wrote, I infer that the latter are made at the post office whereas the former are used by private businesses on their outgoing mail. Also it seems that postage paid marks can be found without an accompanying slogan. But I thought that the normal post office cancelling machine would not have the amount paid in the dater die?

Should I be differentiating between these 2 types of slogan cancels for my thematic collection?

Jean
Basically yes, you have it right. The info below is informed by UK practice (I used to collect postal mechanisation material), but as far as I understand is widely applicable.

Paid marks came first -- they were used (possibly still are in some places) when a business or other organisation wanted to send out a mailshot of a substantial number of similar letters and just pay in cash, without having to go to the bother of putting stamps on every one. In the UK that could be done from the 1860s IIRC, and other countries had the same sort of arrangement available.

The UPU mandated that this kind of prepaid mail without stamps should be marked in red, and the marks were supposed to contain the name of the country (although that didn't always happen). Originally handstamps were used for this, but when rapid cancelling machines that could process large batches of envelopes fast became widely available (early 20th century), it was natural to use them for this purpose as well.

Generally they would use different dies from those used for stamp cancelling duty -- most machines had separate dater and canceller sections (allowing a slogan to be switched in and out for the normal bars, etc). So for cash-Paid mail, one or both of them would use a die specially for this purpose, containing the amount paid and so on. That's why the 2d (probably printed matter rate?) is in the dater die here. The normal bars or slogan dies could be used in the canceller section, or a special Paid version -- it varied at different places and times.

A postage meter is a different, simpler type of machine held under licence by a private (or at any rate non-PO) organisation -- you load it up by paying for a certain amount of postage in advance, typically, and it's used for ordinary quantities of miscellaneous office mail. The ones I'm aware of were generally one-envelope-at-a-time -- although there probably were types that you could feed envelopes through in batches, they wouldn't get anything like the same throughput as a cancelling machine.

The basic elements of the design of meter dies were set by the Post Office and the UPU rules, but where a postage meter included provision for a slogan that design was up to the user (subject to any Post Office rules about the sort of thing you could have there).

So basically yes, it's probably worth distinguishing between Paid marks and meter marks (especially if you're planning to exhibit your collection), because they're really two different things. A slogan on Paid mail like this one is the same actual die as the one used for cancelling stamps, just struck in a different colour for a different purpose. A meter mark the user made up to have a similar design to a Post Office slogan (and this did happen sometimes) was made by a completely separate die in a different type of machine.

Hope that's not too wordy and reasonably clear. :)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Thank you for that explanation. So would slogan dies normally used for cancelling stamps but struck in red along with a postage paid mark be less common and therefore more desirable than the usual slogan cancel in black? In an exhibit, I guess it would provide more variety than just showing a lot of slogan cancels? I think I have some other examples of Paid marks and meter marks in my collection - will scan and post them here.

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

Canada stamper wrote:Thank you for that explanation. So would slogan dies normally used for cancelling stamps but struck in red along with a postage paid mark be less common and therefore more desirable than the usual slogan cancel in black? In an exhibit, I guess it would provide more variety than just showing a lot of slogan cancels? I think I have some other examples of Paid marks and meter marks in my collection - will scan and post them here.
Less common, yes -- the GB ones are often downright scarce, not sure about other countries -- but probably not more expensive usually, because less collected (no stamps!). On the other hand, thematic exhibition judges appreciate as much variety as possible (if following FIP-based rules, at any rate), and so this sort of thing comes in handy -- it shows "philatelic knowledge" under that section of the marking.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Thanks to mozzerb, I now know the difference between a postage meter slogan cancel, and a slogan struck together with a postage paid mark. I found 2 examples of the latter in my collection (including the Australia cover shown above which is now in my possession thanks to new12collector! :D :D ).

Here is the Australia postage paid mark:

I don't have an example of this postmark in my collection, but I found an example on eBay:

I have a cover with the same slogan but struck with a different die:

I believe there's also a third die used later with the same slogan.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I also have this postage paid mark from Slough, GB with the common "BLOOD DONORS ARE STILL NEEDED URGENTLY" slogan:

I bought it (for a good price - it was in a lot along with a couple of postage meter cancels) because it was red and all the other examples I had were black, and now I know what it is!! :D :D

Here are a few covers with this slogan postmark (which was used widely):

Posted in Slough to R.C. Alcock, a noted British stamp dealer and philatelic publisher:

...with advertising tape on the back:

Posted in Cheltenham from R. C. Alcock:

Slogan with SWI (London) triangular cancel used for Printed Matter:

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I also have several examples of postage meter cancels with blood donation related slogans. These usually have a postage meter number.

France:

Don du Sang / Sécurité (Blood Donation / Security)

Un enfant attend un peu de votre sang pour guérir (A child waits for a little of your blood to be cured)

Donnez votre sang / DEVOIR CIVIQUE (Give blood / CIVIC DUTY)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

More from France...

SANG = VIE! (BLOOD = LIFE!)

le SANG c'est la VIE (BLOOD is LIFE), from Avicenne Hospital in Bobigny
ImageImage

SANG donné / VIE sauveé (BLOOD given / LIFE saved), from the National Blood Transfusion Centre in Paris
ImageImage

SANGE DONNE / VIE SAUVEE, from Cochin Hospital, Paris
ImageImage

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Germany:

SPENDE BLUT (GIVE BLOOD), from the Blood Donation Service, German Red Cross (DRK = Deutsches Rotes Kreuz). There is no postage meter number on this cancel.

Spain:

DAR SANGRE / ES DAR VIDA (GIVING BLOOD / IS GIVING LIFE), from the Spanish Red Cross Blood Donation Centre, Barcelona
ImageImage

That's all I've got (for now...) :D :D

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

Some postage meter marks with blood donation/blood bank from my collection.

Great Britain:

BE A V. I. P.
- Give Blood

USA:

Be A Blood Donor
Enroll Now!
Call Your Red Cross

(There is no date of posting, could be a specimen.)

Give Blood
It's The Gift of Life

GIVE
A Pint of Blood
Save a Fighter's Life

Giving Blood
Saves Lives
San Diego Blood Bank

This is all for now. More next time.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Thanks for posting these Satish. I have had a hard time finding many postage meter slogan cancels from Canada or the US, especially intact on cover.

Here are a couple from Canada (cut pieces):

GIVE BLOOD REGULARLY
DONNEZ DU SANG
RÉGULIÈRMENT
Saint John, New Brunswick 1987

YOUR BLOOD is NEEDED NOW
Toront, Ontario 1965

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

I also don't have much on covers, only cut pieces. Here are some more.

Germany:

Blut geben / rettet leben./ Rotes Kreuz. = Give Blood Saves Lives, Red Cross

Auch DEINE BLUTSPENDE/ konnte ein Leben retten / Blutspendedienst =

Also Your Blood donation could save a life.
Blood donation Service

Switzerland:

spendent Blut! = Donate Blood

Belgium:

Centre of Blood Transfusion

Denmark:

Bliv donor = Stay donor

Netherlands:

bloed goed?/ geef het dan = Good Blood Then give it

That is all I have at present.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I posted these on page 2 of this thread along with some other blood donor clinic appointment cards, but they go with this theme too:

Another one from Netherlands with a Dick Bruna character:

From France:
"En donnant un peu de votre sang, vous sauverez une vie" = "By giving a little of your blood, you will save a life"
Montfermeil Hospital, Paris

The same cancel from Basel, Switzerland shown above in sksondhi1's post, on a blood donor appointment card:

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Just arrived in the mail last week, here is another blood donor appointment card from France with a postage meter slogan cancel:

DONNER DU SANG / SAUVER UNE VIE (GIVE BLOOD / SAVE A LIFE)

The card, postmarked 9 III 65, is addressed to André Rouayrenc, volunteer blood donor (Donneur de Sang Bénévole), and invites him to a blood donor clinic (Journée du Sang) on 17 March 1965 in the commune of Azillanet, located in the Béziers district. The card also encourages him to spread the word and bring other donors. The population of Azillanet was 468 inhabitants in 1968.

Here's the other side of the card:
Cet appel au secours s'adresse à vous (This call for help is addressed to you)

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

I received a cover with blood donation cancellation. Though the cover is addressed, it does not carry any postage. Looks like official. Needs help in translating the addressee.

SAUVE UNE VIE / DEVIENS / DONNEUR DE SANG =
Saving a life
Become Blood Donner

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Hi Satish,

That cover is addressed to the station master (Chef de Gare) and station agents of the Épinal rail station in Vosges.

I'm not sure why it should be allowed to go postage free, however I see many such covers (without stamps) on Delcampe - perhaps it was an omission and got through the mail anyway?

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Here's one more postage meter slogan cancel from GB, for the 50th anniversary of the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service:

I'll get back to showing more stamps issues soon...

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

In 1981 there were 4 stamp issues with blood donation related themes.

First, Tunisia issued a stamp on March 5 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Blood Donors Association, depicting the emblem of the association:

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

On April 22, Indonesia issued a set of 3 stamps to encourage blood donation:

ImageImage

The slogans on the stamps from lowest to highest denomination (loosely translated):

setetes darah anda jiwa bagi penderita (a drop of your blood to save a patient's life)
donor darah pencinta kemanusiaan (blood donor, lover of humanity)
jadikanlah setetes darah anda suatu amal (donate a drop of your blood)

[Feel free to correct my translations! The Indonesian language seems to befuddle Google Translate! :( ]

Here's a lovely postcard showing some interesting Indonesian architecture, sent to fellow students and lecturers of the Department of Architecture (Fachbereich Architektur) at the College of Design (Hochschule für Gestaltung) in Offenbach am Main, Germany:

Image Image

...and a commercial cover sent to England franked with a couple of the stamps from the set:
ImageImage

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

On May 4, Hungary issued a souvenir sheet to commemorate the 3rd European Red Cross Conference held in Budapest on May 4-7. One of the images on the sheet is the arm of a blood donor:

Finally, on August 15, Romania issued a single stamp to promote blood donation:

BLOOD = LIFE

DONATE BLOOD RESCUER

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

In 1982 there was only one stamp issue related to blood donation, by Costa Rica on November 25:

The 2 airmail stamps were issued to commemorate the 7th Congress of the Pan American Federation for Voluntary Blood Donation. The 30 colones stamp shows the emblem of the Costa Rican Blood Donors Association.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

On April 2, 1983, Egypt issued a stamp to promote World Health Day (celebrated on April 7) and their National Blood Donation Campaign:

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

On May 8, 1983, Tunisia made their 6th stamp issue (since 1973) promoting blood donation, a semi-postal stamp for the Red Crescent Society:

Worked into the design are the words "SECOURIR" (RESCUE) and "AGIR" (ACT).

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

In April 1984, Thailand re-issued their 1978 semi-postal stamp for the Thai Red Cross with a surcharge. The overprint reads "Red Cross Donation".

Image Image

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

To show you something a little different, here is a postal stationery envelope from Bulgaria:

The letter is addressed to Lilliana Kervanova Georgieva in Sofia (София). The sender's address is military unit (под. = поделение, "division") 45580 in Pirin. There a triangular military post seal (you can faintly make out the letters "В. П." = Военна поща, Military Post), and a CDS from the Rail Station at Pirin (ГАРА ПИРИН = GARA PIRIN). For military post, it was generally free to send a letter, but there was a limit. This envelope is prepaid, so either the sender was exceeded his limit or preferred to send an unconventional cover.

Under the cachet the inscription reads:

Граждани,
СТАНЕТЕ КРЪВОДАРИТЕЛИ!

Citizens,
BECOME BLOOD DONORS!

The 3 letters under the red cross symbol are БЧК (Български Червен Кръст) for Bulgarian Red Cross.

(Thanks to bouki vedi and iomoon for translation assistance!!)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Almost forgot, here's another postage meter slogan cancel from France:

DON DE SANG / SOURCE DE VIE (BLOOD DONATION / SOURCE OF LIFE)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

After a few busy weeks at work, I went to the CSDA stamp show this weekend and spent a few hours browsing through cover boxes. I was very happy to find several things for my collection. Here are a couple of highlights:

I bought this wonderful cover from a collector/dealer who has been keeping an eye out for me for blood donation related items:

ImageImage

It's an advertising cover from the Red Cross National Office in Toronto addressed to then Leader of the Opposition, The Honorable Joe Clark at the House of Commons in Ottawa. The postage meter slogan cancel of course is what I was interested in:

"BE A REGULAR BLOOD DONOR"

And on the back, a bonus: a lovely green arrival cancel from the House of Commons:

ImageImage

The second gem I actually found in a 25c box of commercial covers and postal stationery:

Although it's not related directly to blood donation, I bought this League of Red Cross Societies advertising cover because I liked the Geneva postage meter slogan cancel, which shows the first 3 emblems of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, namely the Red Cross, and the Red Lion and Sun, and the Red Crescent:

I've been thinking about putting together an exhibit, and I thought I could use this cover to highlight the organization that has worked to promote a safe blood supply throughout the world. I didn't realize what a great cover it was until I got home and looked up Mr. Basil O'Connor, to whom the cover is addressed:

Basil O'Connor (January 8, 1892 to March 9, 1972) was a Harvard-educated lawyer. In 1938, he and President Roosevelt formed the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis (NFIP), which focused on supporting research to find a solution to the rising problem of poliomyelitis. Under O'Connor's leadership, the NFIP provided patient aid, led both professional and public education in the fight against polio, and helped fund research to develop the polio vaccines that ended the polio epidemics in the US. O’Connor remained President of the NFIP until his death in 1972.

The NFIP was renamed the March of Dimes in 1979.

Not bad for 25c eh? :D :D :D

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

April 21-27 marks National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week this year in Canada. April is also National Donate Life Month in the US. To help promote this worthy cause, I'll be posting items related to organ and tissue donation this week. As you read this thread, please take some time to reflect on the tremendous impact that this gift could have on someone's life.

One donor can save up to 8 lives and benefit more than 50 people. Organs and tissue that can be donated after death include the heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, small bowel, stomach, corneas, heart valves, bone and skin.

ImageImage

Organ donation saves lives. It is often the only treatment option for people with organs that are damaged through injury or disease and who would otherwise die.

Eye donation restores sight after disease, injury or congenital blindness.

Bone donation restores mobility and prevents amputation.

Hearts donated for heart valves repair birth defects in children and others.

Skin donation provides life-saving wound covering for burns.

Transplants not only save lives, they return recipients to productive lives. Outcomes continue to improve each year so more and more transplant patients are living longer and healthier lives, thanks to the kindness of people who have given the gift of life and donated organs and tissue. But many more are still waiting. All too often lives are lost because suitable donors are not found in time.

People are often surprised to learn how rare it is for someone to become an organ donor. For an individual to become an organ donor, they must die in hospital while on life support, which accounts for only a small percentage of deaths. (This is not the case for tissue donation, which can take place in most cases when someone has died, as long as the tissue is suitable for transplantation.)

Because the opportunities for organ donation are relatively rare and the impact is life-saving, please give serious thought to organ and tissue donation and registering your consent to donate with your regional or national transplant organization.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

The first organ transplant was performed in December 1954 in Boston, USA, when Ronald Lee Herrick donated one of his kidneys to his identical twin brother, Richard. The surgery was led by Dr. Joseph E. Murray, who shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1990 with E. Donnall Thomas for work on organ and cell transplantation. Dr. Murray died at the age of 93 on November 26, 2012.

This is an excerpt from an article by Alvin Powell in the Harvard Gazette. I posted this on November 29, but I'd like to repeat it here for National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week.

"In late 1954, Richard Herrick was dying. Just 23 years old, he had been discharged from the Coast Guard months earlier and had come home to Massachusetts to reconnect with his family, which included his twin brother, Ronald.

But the joy of his reunion was tempered by Herrick’s diagnosis of kidney disease, which at the time was often a death sentence. By October, he was a patient at the Public Health Service Hospital in Brighton, Mass. His health was worsening.

His family kept a vigil by his bedside, but had been told that his kidneys were failing and that there was little hope of a cure. Yet Herrick’s doctor recalled that not far away, at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and Harvard Medical School (HMS), some doctors and scientists were working on the problem. They were devising ways to transplant healthy kidneys into those whose organs had failed, and they were looking for twins to attempt the first operation.

The small group was viewed with skepticism by the medical establishment, with one physician dubbing them “a bunch of fools” for their efforts. There were valid grounds for skepticism. After all, even if they could surmount the technical hurdles of the transplant — severing and reattaching blood vessels and other critical connections — the body’s rejection of foreign tissue was poorly understood and could not be overcome.

But the group of “fools,” led by a young surgeon and Harvard Medical School professor named Joseph Murray, felt strongly that they — and their dying patients — had nothing to lose and much to gain.

“If you’re going to worry about what people say, you’re never going to make any progress,” Murray said during a recent interview at his home in Wellesley Hills, Mass.

The group’s perseverance and skill would bear fruit just before Christmas that year when they performed the world’s first successful organ transplant, between Richard and Ronald. At 11:15 a.m. on Dec. 23, their work not only gave Richard a new lease on life, it ushered in the era of organ transplantation, giving hope to thousands of patients each year whose own organs are failing. Richard Herrick lived eight more years.

Joseph Murray (third from left), performing the first successful organ transplant at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, December 23, 1954.

Today, roughly 17,000 Americans undergo kidney transplantation annually, according to statistics from the National Institutes of Health. Nearly all of them — better than 95 percent — survive the first year after surgery, and more than 80 percent are still alive five years later.

Not only have the number of kidney transplants skyrocketed, but physicians building on Murray’s and his colleagues’ work have pioneered the transplantation of many kinds of organs. Between 1988 and 2011, more than half a million organs were transplanted [in the United States alone]."

Dual organ transplants

For some patients with serious illness and multiple organ failure, dual organ transplantation is a viable treatment that helps restore quality of life. These may include:

Kidney and liver
Kidney and pancreas
Kidney and heart
Liver and heart
Heart and lungs
Double lung

A heart–lung transplant is a procedure carried out to replace both heart and lungs in a single operation. Due to a shortage of suitable donors, it is a rare procedure; only about a hundred such transplants are performed each year in the US. Most candidates for heart–lung transplants have life-threatening damage to both their heart and lungs. Dr. Bruce Reitz performed the first successful heart–lung transplant on Mary Gohlke in 1981 at Stanford Hospital in the US.

Stormie Dawn Jones (1977–1990) was the world's first recipient of a successful simultaneous heart and liver transplant. On February 14, 1984, Drs. Thomas E. Starzl and Henry T. Bahnson replaced the six-year-old's heart and liver at the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Stormie had a severe form of familial hypercholesterolemia, a condition in which her liver was unable to remove cholesterol from her blood, raising her blood cholesterol to 10 times normal levels and causing two heart attacks when she was six years old. The transplant was performed to give her a new, healthy liver that would be able to normalize her blood cholesterol levels. Since she was going to require lifelong immunosuppressant therapy anyway to prevent rejection of her transplanted liver, and since her heart had been severely damaged by her previous heart attacks, it was decided to perform a heart transplant at the same time.

---------------------

Here is a strip of 5 stamps issued by Venezuela on September 18, 1990 to celebrate the centenary of the University of Zulia:

The 20b stamp highlights achievements in transplantation, including kidney-liver (riñón-hígado) transplants:

France recently celebrated 2 transplant milestones with stamp issues:

First heart transplant (greffe du coeur) in Europe in April 1968 (stamp issued 25 April 2008)

The operation was carried out at l'hôpital de la Pitié (Mercy Hospital) in Paris in April 1968, by a three man team headed by Dr. Christian Cabrol. At the time, it was the world's seventh heart transplant (before that, there had been three in the US, two in South Africa, and one in India).

From Sarasota Herald-Tribune, April 30, 1968

First heart-lung transplant (greffe coeur-poumons) in Europe in 1982 (stamp issued 14 June 2012)

Almost 2 decades after performing the first heart transplant in Europe, Dr. Cabrol performed the first heart-lung transplant in Europe in March 1982. Cabrol also performed the first implant of a completely artificial heart in France in 1986 (four years after Jarvik’s first transplantation in the US).

Dr. Cabrol appeared at the 2012 Planète Timbres Stamp Exhibition in Paris on June 14 to give a talk and provide autographs for collectors:

Image Image

ImageImage

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I'd like to show you some covers tonight.

First, this registered express letter posted from Neu-Isenburg in 1994, with a postage meter slogan cancel "ORGANSPENDE BEWAHRT LEBEN" (ORGAN DONATION PRESERVES LIFE):

ImageImage

There is an AR label (Avis de reception, Advice of receipt, Rückschein) and two Aachen arrival cancels (one on the back). On the back, you can see where the AR card has been detached.

ImageImage

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”